Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by noitbe1
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1stendingTM (resized).png
phatomTM (resized).png
tiger_loopTM (resized).png
8A98D7FF-5056-4130-A1F7-FA2C8CAB8D93 (resized).png
lightning lamp (resized).png
fireball (resized).png
start (resized).png
the roc (resized).png
kali (resized).png
skeleton (resized).png
38E090B4-2A8A-4A08-BCF3-1CEE31074791 (resized).png
E3E7D9AA-6BAE-4298-8A90-A0AA5746308F (resized).png
449004F2-E8D4-4ADB-ABD3-A0845C2DF32A (resized).png
0D30CF88-05B5-4500-9530-07D6FC651B0B (resized).png
carpet2 (resized).png
carpet1 (resized).png

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 months ago

Hi
TOTAN is a great pin but I always thought some part in the rule was not great and too easy like the tale advance, multiballs and else.
That's why I've created this new P-ROC project (started last december) and rewrite the original code.

I wanted to keep the code/light, sound effect EXACTLY the same as original. I only wanted to add new stuff for THIS TO BE A ADD ON.
Some small stuff has been changed like the option to advance tales and I added new reward as well but it's the same original software.

The original code has been rewritten. Now I'll start to work on the extension with:
- new sequences:
New sequence called « bolero » with the classical music and a lot of lightning effects
2 New fireballs
2 new lightning lamp modes
- new multiballs:
1 new genie super multiball with 4 balls (3 ball lock)
1 new multiball with 3 balls,
- tales/ ending:
7 new tales with new animations so 14 tales to acheive in total
2 ending (maybe 3) depending of the acheivement (one good, one bad and another bad ...)

The idea is to add contents, effects and most of all, a game MUCH harder where only really good player could save the princess... to me a pinball need to be hard to keep the interrest in long time (like medieval madness or lotr)

Also, i m thinking of implementing a sequence with the monster bash feature where the opto activate the flipper:the phantom switch

the project name is "twilight melody (TM)", it is linked to what I want to do for the extension with new melodies.

I'm not here that often, but I'll share time to time the progress for whoever is interrested.
thanks for reading!

New rules: (will update still in WIP)
The software is the same at start:
Player will have to acheived the 7 old original tales at first.
But only ruby will let you advance one tale if this one is already started and if you get it in make a wish.
At the end of the first quest: skeleton, wizard mode.. the princess will not be free. Player will have to acheived the 7 tales again and other hidden modes to free the princess.
Those 7 tales will be 100% new with new animations and new rules.
I will update this when i’ll be more advanced.

I’ll try to share new updates once every one or two weeks.
For new modes,I plan to add 2 more multiballs and another "sequence" mode.

#2 7 months ago

here are 3 videos with the attract mode and gameplay I posted on youtube

#6 7 months ago

Looks great! TOTAN is a beautiful machine. Good luck with the rewrite. Look forward to your updates.

#7 7 months ago

Forget to mention: I’ve put back prototype animations/frames (prior to 1.0) such as winning animation with the snake in skillshot where the snake was huge (sizewise)

#8 7 months ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Looks great! TOTAN is a beautiful machine. Good luck with the rewrite. Look forward to your updates.

Thanks!

#9 7 months ago

Will this be code that you will share eventually?

#10 7 months ago

Maybe. The purpose here is to share what’s possible with P-ROC same as Indiana jones. Once mature enough we will see. I’ll share videos of the progress once possible.

#11 7 months ago

I would be interested in it if you did. Even as a tester

#12 7 months ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I would be interested in it if you did. Even as a tester

Thanks.

#14 7 months ago

Great game getting better. Thanks for your time on this venture.

#15 7 months ago

It would figure if this becomes a reality as I sold my totan. There have been past threads about this but nothing ever came of it.

#16 7 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

It would figure if this becomes a reality as I sold my totan. There have been past threads about this but nothing ever came of it.

Yes. I used to have a totan and i sold it after'a while thinking the pinball looks amazing but it's way too easy a long time ago. I bought a new totan only for this! . That's why this new code aim also to create a pinball much more harder with 14 tales this time and new sequences as well. Once everything has been completed and i mean everything then you'll be able to have the right ending (i plain to have 2 for now).
I will share more infos with the new rules i want to create.

#17 7 months ago

Also P-ROC give you the possibility to add new sounds ans moreover songs which is great as far is content. I will definitly use this option as well

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Also P-ROC give you the possibility to add new sounds ans moreover songs which is great as far is content. I will definitly use this option as well

Dutch pinball did great things with the P-ROC with BOP2.0!

#19 7 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Dutch pinball did great things with the P-ROC with BOP2.0!

Bop2 seems great. Music and sounds too

#20 7 months ago

Honorable and worthy task! Do you have a soft time frame you are setting?

#21 7 months ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Honorable and worthy task! Do you have a soft time frame you are setting?

Thanks. What do you mean by « soft time frame » ?

#22 7 months ago

When are you hoping to have it finished?

#23 7 months ago

Ok. The hardest part is behind me i think. I would think end of the year

#24 7 months ago

Look forward to finished product and interested as well.
Thanks for the update.

#25 7 months ago

Just edited first post with new ideas i want to add to the Software as long with new songs

#26 7 months ago

Main idea is to create 2 quests to free the princess. I have been inspired by the video game "gouls and ghost" if anyone knows it

#27 7 months ago

No more easy quest. Player will have to battle for a good end.

IMG_1899 (resized).PNG
#28 7 months ago

I think this is a great idea. If at some point you wish to sell licenses to copies of your firmware, please put me on the list.

A feature that I have always felt TOTAN was missing was a automatic ball launch, while keeping the manual ball launch for the skill shot. An issue with TOTAN is the Wizard Mode aka Genie Battle, where the player has to relaunch balls. I don't know if there is an extra driver transistor available on the WPC PCB (or if you would use the PROC driver boards), but it would be a great modification to optionally add a ball launcher (such as found in ACDC) automatically launch balls during the wizard mode, or after a time-out when the game isn't being played.

Please keep up the great work on this endeavor.

Nate

#29 7 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

I think this is a great idea. If at some point you wish to sell licenses to copies of your firmware, please put me on the list.
A feature that I have always felt TOTAN was missing was a automatic ball launch, while keeping the manual ball launch for the skill shot. An issue with TOTAN is the Wizard Mode aka Genie Battle, where the player has to relaunch balls. I don't know if there is an extra driver transistor available on the WPC PCB (or if you would use the PROC driver boards), but it would be a great modification to optionally add a ball launcher (such as found in ACDC) automatically launch balls during the wizard mode, or after a time-out when the game isn't being played.
Nate

Yes It has been a big point for me for a while. That's why i don't plan to add too many multiballs since lunching the balls by hands are boring. The game let you the possibility to lock 3 balls but the third one is not used in current software. So i'll add that.
Foe the auto launcher, as far as software no problem. I could even add this feature for any totan with a auto launcher i mean it is possible. For adding a auto launcher inside the pin, i think it could be possible but i m not fond enough of the idea to dig to deep since i really want to deal with the pinball as it is and keep also the original code. I m a nostalgic guy

#30 7 months ago

I am not deeply familiar with the P-ROC board. Are you able to use the existing WPC-95 driver board with the P-ROC CPU?

#31 7 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

I am not deeply familiar with the P-ROC board. Are you able to use the existing WPC-95 driver board with the P-ROC CPU?

Not the CPU . Everything is the same unless the driver board which is no longer used and replaced by the p-roc board. Even the sounds come from the pinball speakers but plug from a computer jack plug.

#32 7 months ago

Got it, I was confused regarding the Pˆ3 offering. I went to the Metamorphic website and have a better understanding. Can you run the existing TOTAN code on the USB attached PC, as well as your new code?

#33 7 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

Got it, I was confused regarding the Pˆ3 offering. I went to the Metamorphic website and have a better understanding. Can you run the existing TOTAN code on the USB attached PC, as well as your new code?

I think it is possible to run original rom with the p-roc with the Virtual pinball software. I can run my code on visual pinball. I really didn't dig that much for this since the original software can't be extracted and changed and you have to rewrite everything no matter the langage: assembleur, c++, python... my project is in python. So the answer is no. I hope it's help.

#34 7 months ago

That makes sense, and now I understand. You have done a vast amount of programming to implement the TOTAN game rules in Python.

#35 7 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

That makes sense, and now I understand. You have done a vast amount of programming to implement the TOTAN game rules in Python.

Yes. Count several hundred of hours. You have to be motivated as well

#36 7 months ago

This is freekin awesome! Love your preview videos, the new fonts, new high scores, and sounds. And your rule additions sound like a great way to add some depth and variation to this kinda shallow rule set. Let me know if I can be of any help.

#37 7 months ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

This is freekin awesome! Love your preview videos, the new fonts, new high scores, and sounds. And your rule additions sound like a great way to add some depth and variation to this kinda shallow rule set. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks and Good catch for the highscore. I also added frames used in the prototype ROM and removed in production such as the snakes one

#38 7 months ago

Hi Ben,

Pinball life has a Bally/Williams Auto-Launch assembly for $59 USD.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=367

Both TOTAN and Scared Stiff are WPC-95 games. I took a picture of the TOTAN playfield area where an Auto-Launch would go (attached). I also took a picture of Auto-Launch assembly from my Scared Stiff (second picture attached). I'm certain that TOTAN could physically accommodate the Auto-Launch. A wire through the connector to the driver board would be needed, but it seems readily possible. As you mentioned, you could use the knocker driver if needed.

The shooter rod could be used for the skill shot, and the Auto-Launch could be used for multi ball or the Wizard mode(s).

-Nate

IMG_3031 (resized).JPGIMG_4641 (resized).JPG
#39 7 months ago

Hello Nate,
yes, thanks for this. Easiest way to include that would be to sacrifice the knocker (put a sound instead, same as CV or cactus canyon) and use the connector for the auto launcher. Using a connector also has the advantage to not change one of the driver board.

Would require an extra cable with a new connector to go to the knocker connector plug and this should be almost a plug and play

Also, a setting would set this.

#40 7 months ago

some points need to check:
-feature assembly to fit in and no problem with levering the playfield
-the streingt is powerfull enough to launch the ball

I can control the power/pulse of the solenoid.

#41 7 months ago

I just ordered one (marco speciality), Need to figure the cable/plug now. Once done, I'll do the test and share the progress.
Thanks again to Nate for checking!

#42 7 months ago

seems to be the exact same solenoid as well :

infoknocker (resized).png
#43 7 months ago

here is the glimpse of the intro for the super genie multiball (still in work in progress)
- just realized the quality is really bad. I'll try to post a better one on the real pinball
I removed the video because the quality was too bad.

#45 7 months ago

Hi Ben,

I went through the TOTAN schematics looking for spare transistors. Using the knocker circuit is a good, and probably the only choice. The 23-800 coil used by the Auto-Launch is low resistance and therefore high current. All high current drivers are Q65-Q72 and are TIP36 transistors. There are no spares available, and the knocker is Q69.

-Nate

#46 7 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

Hi Ben,
I went through the TOTAN schematics looking for spare transistors. Using the knocker circuit is a good, and probably the only choice. The 23-800 coil used by the Auto-Launch is low resistance and therefore high current. All high current drivers are Q65-Q72 and are TIP36 transistors. There are no spares available, and the knocker is Q69.
-Nate

Hello Nate. Took a look at the schematic as well and seems all the possible coils are used. I didn’t found any spare either. Good news is the knocker for this one to be replace by a sound which should’t be a big deal as far as gameplay. At least there is one.

#47 7 months ago

After checking on my pin not that easy after all. The outer button fixture is on the same spot as the auto launcher. Need to figure out a way to keep this button in place

7CFFF3A8-F0FA-4ACB-9330-A29F9D874F0C (resized).jpeg
#48 7 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

Nate

Quoted from noitbe1:

Hello Nate,
yes, thanks for this. Easiest way to include that would be to sacrifice the knocker (put a sound instead, same as CV or cactus canyon) and use the connector for the auto launcher. Using a connector also has the advantage to not change one of the driver board.
Would require an extra cable with a new connector to go to the knocker connector plug and this should be almost a plug and play
Also, a setting would set this.

Adding an auto launcher is one of the best upgrades to these wpc-95 games It adds so many extra code options along with more complete multiball options.

Some interesting info that i found out when working on magic girl with John. (jpop)

John didn't like to include auto launchers on his games. You can see this where there isn't one on WCS, TOM, TOTAN or SWEP1. Only CV has one. I was working on game rules for Magic Girl and John was asking me if there was anything i'd like including playfield wise. My first response was 'Please add an Auto-launcher'. He replied that Cameron had made the same request once to him during a similar discussion. Cameron did get his wish as per CV, but i did not!

#49 7 months ago

Hi Ben,

I have a milling machine in my basement shop, and just had the Auto-Launch assembly delivered to my house. I’m traveling for the next 14 days but when back I will see if there is a way to make both parts fit.

Nate

#50 7 months ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Adding an auto launcher is one of the best upgrades to these wpc-95 games It adds so many extra code options along with more complete multiball options.
Some interesting info that i found out when working on magic girl with John. (jpop)
John didn't like to include auto launchers on his games. You can see this where there isn't one on WCS, TOM, TOTAN or SWEP1. Only CV has one. I was working on game rules for Magic Girl and John was asking me if there was anything i'd like including playfield wise. My first response was 'Please add an Auto-launcher'. He replied that Cameron had made the same request once to him during a similar discussion. Cameron did get his wish as per CV, but i did not!

Really interresting, thanks for the comment. For the totan, the only mode which require one is the wizard mode. The other lock the ball with an additional skill shot that's why. That's another skill game to add to the game so i get it why it s like that. In my case, it would be interresting for new mode and for sure the wizard mode.

Ps. A new magic girl is planned by deeproot for next year so i was wondering if you'll work on it as well, if it's sharable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
€ 40.00
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 197.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Boards
PinSound
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside