4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4414 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I brought a TOTAN out of storage where it has been for probably seven years. It is in generally excellent shape and has been running well through an LED upgrade, which obviously takes a good amount of time, and has seen several games played on it since then. Before the LED upgrade I replaced the RAM with a lockwhenlit NVRAM upgrade to get rid of the batteries -- I have done that on probably 15 machines to date and this one went just as smooth as all of the others. I also have been making sure the latest ROMs are installed in all of the machines I have been bringing back online but I do not remember if this one needed an update but I have been getting them from Action Pinball instead of burning my own. Just now, however, after it has been on for a bit the screen starts to get "static" running across it which escalates quickly and then the sound starts to pop and not long after that the game becomes unresponsive. Has anyone run into this before? I am pretty good at high level service but I have never gotten too deep into the hardware to really understand where to even begin to track this one down. It might be time for a service tech on this one but I thought I would post it here to see if someone knows exactly where to look for the source of the problem. Here is a video of what is going on:

If I power the machine down and leave it sit for a while I can rise and repeat from a fully working machine at power up to what is described above and shown in the video.

#2 4 years ago

When it dies. I would open it up and check the voltage test points on the power driver board. See if any are low or missing.

That could help with what next.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When it dies. I would open it up and check the voltage test points on the power driver board. See if any are low or missing.
That could help with what next.

Also to add on to LTG, have you measured your line voltage? Pins are very sensitive to low line voltage, happened to me before,, too many pins or an unstable outlet, even a cord thats been lengthened

#4 4 years ago

The test points seem stable and valid. The machine is plugged into a 20A circuit dedicated to four machines (none of the others are on) so I know that is not the problem. Today the machine is not even playable. It basically goes south immediately on power up. Going to call in a tech for this one. I will post the results here.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from jraymonds:

The test points seem stable and valid. The machine is plugged into a 20A circuit dedicated to four machines (none of the others are on) so I know that is not the problem. Today the machine is not even playable. It basically goes south immediately on power up. Going to call in a tech for this one. I will post the results here.

What was the voltage reading from your outlet though?

#6 4 years ago

Reconnected all the connectors?
Reseated the ribbon cables?
Give the Ascii a good push

#7 4 years ago

Inside rear of cabinet where power comes in. If three connectors inside a rubber boot, be sure they are on tight. Unplug game to check.

#8 4 years ago

Went through all of the cables again and reseated them. Line voltage is nominal. Called service but with the summer schedule it might be a couple of weeks before I get to the bottom of this.

1 month later
#9 4 years ago

It took a while before getting the cpu board into the shop but the answer turned out to be at least explainable. The board needed rework right under the left corner of the battery holder where some of the reset circuitry is. Though the machine was in storage without the batteries installed old corrosion did enough damage here to make this machine die not long after being powered on.

IMG_4414 (resized).jpgIMG_4414 (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

I have repaired several WPC95 MPU boards for that same problem. All the affected parts must be replaced and those green areas with the blackness all needs to be dealt with as that alkaline damage will spread like cancer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-slowly-dies-after-power-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.