Side before (resized).png
Frontcorner after (resized).jpg
Front corner before (2) (resized).png
Front after (resized).jpg
Front before (resized).png
IMG_0821 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0825 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0811 (resized).jpeg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 months ago

I bought new ramps today from Starship Fantasy. I have use ramps I bought over a year ago, but now that the playfield is coming together, they are not perfect enough to go on this game. Can't wait for them to come in as I'm ready to start getting the next level of the playfield mocked up.

I'm mocking the playfield up to know what I'm missing in parts. I'm also debating about which color scheme I want to use. For example, I'm debating whether to do gold, black, or use the teal armor that the cabinet came with. HEP did a beautiful black armor TOTAN a couple of years ago I'm thinking of copying. Maybe even doing black chrome. The problem there is that I'm considering black chrome for my IJ. If anyone has other suggestions I'm definitely open to them.

#52 4 months ago

Initial thoughts are I'd do the genie-blue as a powder coat for the armor and legs, or consider doing the purple that is on the playfield to better satisfy any effeminate preferences

Blue:
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMS-4621/illusion-lite-blue or
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMB-6909/illusion-smurf

Purple:
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PSB-4629/illusion-purple

This Mantis part was very useful for doing a complete job around the playfield with the armor. Can’t leave this as just black plastic when going for a new armor color or metal:

https://mantispinball.com/pinball-parts/misc/misc-glass-slide/

Are you having the scimitar / sword by the shooter lane plated?

#53 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Initial thoughts are I'd do the genie-blue as a powder coat for the armor and legs, or consider doing the purple that is on the playfield to better satisfy any effeminate preferences
Blue:
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMS-4621/illusion-lite-blue or
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMB-6909/illusion-smurf
Purple:
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PSB-4629/illusion-purple
This Mantis part was very useful for doing a complete job around the playfield with the armor. Can’t leave this as just black plastic when going for a new armor color or metal:
https://mantispinball.com/pinball-parts/misc/misc-glass-slide/
Are you having the scimitar / sword by the shooter lane plated?

I like the idea of blue or purple. I have illusion purple on my STTNG and Illusion blue on my RS legs. I'll post a pic when I get home.

As far as the scimitar/sword metal piece, I'll have it powder coated once I have it all mocked up. I want to send any powder coating out all together. It will probably be gold along with the skill shot bracket and apron. I did see a beautiful Illusion purple apron from a fellow Pinsider friend. It definitely has me thinking......

#54 4 months ago

I've discovered an unobtainium part. It's the gate assembly bracket that goes on top of the swirl ramp. The lower gate assembly bracket is readily available, but not the upper one. I was hoping to convert a lower bracket into an upper bracket, but its not happening. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to have made. It's part number 01-13178. It's part of the gate assembly A-20847. Any ideas who could make one? Maybe Mantis? I obviously don't have a sample to copy or measurements of one. I do have the wire gate, as they are also readily available.

#55 4 months ago

Here’s a picture of the illusive part.

IMG_0626 (resized).jpegIMG_0626 (resized).jpeg
#56 4 months ago

I think I may have found a replacement. I went through Pinbal Life and Marco’s website searching for “ball gate” and found this one. I think it will work. I have to go home and measure on the swirl ramp and confirm. Not happy about 16.00 + shipping. If it measures out I’ll wait and order when I have more to order.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#57 4 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I think I may have found a replacement. I went through Pinbal Life and Marco’s website searching for “ball gate” and found this one. I think it will work. I have to go home and measure on the swirl ramp and confirm. Not happy about 16.00 + shipping. If it measures out I’ll wait and order when I have more to order.
[quoted image]

Could be worth discussing with Sonic if a magnetic reed switch (MRS) would work well for this application.

#58 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Could be worth discussing with Sonic if a magnetic reed switch (MRS) would work well for this application.

If that gates purpose is to simply trigger a switch - you bet...

Matt

#59 4 months ago

I could make that part if needed.

On hardware...I won't use any Home Depot hardware unless it happens to be perfect..and it seldom is. The quality of McMaster hardware is well worth the price. Not to mention the wider availability of exact sizes and lengths.

#60 4 months ago
Quoted from GregCon:

I could make that part if needed.
On hardware...I won't use any Home Depot hardware unless it happens to be perfect..and it seldom is. The quality of McMaster hardware is well worth the price. Not to mention the wider availability of exact sizes and lengths.

I only use stainless steel, when possible, and have had no issues with HD. McMaster is more economical, though, with a wider selection. Love how fast they ship!

#61 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

I only use stainless steel, when possible, and have had no issues with HD. McMaster is more economical, though, with a wider selection. Love how fast they ship!

I agree with you. I'm putting an order together with them now.

#62 4 months ago

My Starship Fantasy ramps came in today. They are incredible. I can’t believe how clear, strong, and complete they are. All hardware comes attached and decals are also included. I highly recommend them.

IMG_0657 (resized).jpegIMG_0657 (resized).jpeg

#63 4 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

My Starship Fantasy ramps came in today. They are incredible. I can’t believe how clear, strong, and complete they are. All hardware comes attached and decals are also included. I highly recommend them.
[quoted image]

Where are they?

Did you have to sand or modify them in any way? $369 for all three seems like a great deal: https://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Tales-of-the-Arabian-Nights-Ramp-Set

#64 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Where are they?

Did you have to sand or modify them in any way? $369 for all three seems like a great deal: https://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Tales-of-the-Arabian-Nights-Ramp-Set

It's a great deal in my book. It comes with all hardware that is normally riveted to it. That includes the ramp flap and the swirl ramp divertor plate. It also came with the clear plastics protectors that go on top of the swirl ramp. SHipping was fast and well packaged. I highly recommend them.

#65 4 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

It's a great deal in my book. It comes with all hardware that is normally riveted to it. That includes the ramp flap and the swirl ramp divertor plate. It also came with the clear plastics protectors that go on top of the swirl ramp. SHipping was fast and well packaged. I highly recommend them.

Starship Fantasy and lrosent345 are great! Did have to modify my WH2O ramps, as SF ramps are made thicker than stock. It’s a good trade off though

Hopefully your ramps don’t have a lot of modification needed to fit, but be prepared for it

#66 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Starship Fantasy and lrosent345 are great! Did have to modify my WH2O ramps, as SF ramps are made thicker than stock. It’s a good trade off though
Hopefully your ramps don’t have a lot of modification needed to fit, but be prepared for it

Thanks for the heads up. I think my last real hurdle is finding all of the proper hex posts for the ramps. There are a bunch and no one carries some of the sizes. I’ll know more next week when my Marco order comes in and I can start trying in the ramps. I have some left over hex posts from a Road Show restoration I’m going to possibly use as well.

#67 4 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Thanks for the heads up. I think my last real hurdle is finding all of the proper hex posts for the ramps. There are a bunch and no one carries some of the sizes. I’ll know more next week when my Marco order comes in and I can start trying in the ramps. I have some left over hex posts from a Road Show restoration I’m going to possibly use as well.

You can use McMaster for hex posts, too. They have a lot of lengths and you can use multiple posts to build one post to the exact height you want. Sometimes the break where two posts meet gets hidden by the time the game is built

Is there a subway ramp for TOTAN that SF offers?

Did you order a Cliffy's set for TOTAN?
http://www.passionforpinball.com/totan.htm

#68 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

You can use McMaster for hex posts, too. They have a lot of lengths and you can use multiple posts to build one post to the exact height you want. Sometimes the break where two posts meet gets hidden by the time the game is built
Is there a subway ramp for TOTAN that SF offers?
Did you order a Cliffy's set for TOTAN?
http://www.passionforpinball.com/totan.htm

Starship Fantasy doesn't carry the subway. Believe it or not, PSPA has the bottom trough subway for $27 AUD which is $17 USD. Shipping wouldn't be too bad either.

I didn't order a cliffy set. Last order I did took 4-5 months to get. I think I'm going to take a chance and see if the clear coat will hold up to HUO.

I didn't realize McMasters had hex posts. I'll definitely be ordering any I'm missing from there. If I have to use 2 sizes together, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm considering painting all of the hex posts black. HEP did that on his blackout TOTAN build and it looks good.

#69 4 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Starship Fantasy doesn't carry the subway. Believe it or not, PSPA has the bottom trough subway for $27 AUD which is $17 USD. Shipping wouldn't be too bad either.
I didn't order a cliffy set. Last order I did took 4-5 months to get. I think I'm going to take a chance and see if the clear coat will hold up to HUO.
I didn't realize McMasters had hex posts. I'll definitely be ordering any I'm missing from there. If I have to use 2 sizes together, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm considering painting all of the hex posts black. HEP did that on his blackout TOTAN build and it looks good.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/hex-standofs/?s=hex-standoffs

Top left corner, and I'd stick with stainless for these, so they aren't too soft

That's good info on PSPA with the ramp. Looks like you have to rivet that one?

#70 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/hex-standofs/?s=hex-standoffs
Top left corner, and I'd stick with stainless for these, so they aren't too soft
That's good info on PSPA with the ramp. Looks like you have to rivet that one?

Great link! Thanks. You may have to rivet the switch bracket on the subway.

#71 4 months ago

Got my Genie in from Modfather. Great painting job!!!

IMG_0690 (resized).jpegIMG_0690 (resized).jpeg
#72 4 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Got my Genie in from Modfather. Great painting job!!!
[quoted image]

Wow, love it! I bet it'll be even more striking with some LED light bouncing off that gloss

#73 4 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Wow, love it! I bet it'll be even more striking with some LED light bouncing off that gloss

Heck yeah. I am going to make my own fireball for his hand. I'll try to make it light up at the appropriate times. I'll document my process, for good or bad.

#74 4 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Heck yeah. I am going to make my own fireball for his hand. I'll try to make it light up at the appropriate times. I'll document my process, for good or bad.

And I know you’ll make it look way better than this!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-totan-genie-with-lit-eyes-and-fireball

FireballFireball

Inspiration for you:

Mario AmiiboMario Amiibo

If you need to know about Amiibo, just take it to PM, haha. You can get that plastic here if you wanted to take one apart:

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/amiibo-mario-super-smash-bros-100298

Or grab it used off eBay.

I think it’d be a cool mod with or without the LED

Now I really want to go buy the genie and an Amiibo, haha

1 week later
#75 3 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

And I know you’ll make it look way better than this!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-totan-genie-with-lit-eyes-and-fireball
[quoted image]
Inspiration for you:
[quoted image]
If you need to know about Amiibo, just take it to PM, haha. You can get that plastic here if you wanted to take one apart:
https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/amiibo-mario-super-smash-bros-100298
Or grab it used off eBay.
I think it’d be a cool mod with or without the LED
Now I really want to go buy the genie and an Amiibo, haha

I was on EBay looking for an Amiibo Mario Fireball when my sister saw what I was hunting for. She told me her son had that particular model. She asked him and he said I could have it. So I have some pics of the Genie and Mario.

I measured the fireball and the Genie’s hand. The fireball seems too small to me, although I love the coloring and how the fire trails off the fireball. I think I’m still going to try and make one that’s bigger but kinda copy the fireball trail of Mario.

IMG_0787 (resized).jpegIMG_0787 (resized).jpegIMG_0788 (resized).jpegIMG_0788 (resized).jpegIMG_0789 (resized).jpegIMG_0789 (resized).jpeg
#76 3 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I was on EBay looking for an Amiibo Mario Fireball when my sister saw what I was hunting for. She told me her son had that particular model. She asked him and he said I could have it. So I have some pics of the Genie and Mario.
I measured the fireball and the Genie’s hand. The fireball seems too small to me, although I love the coloring and how the fire trails off the fireball. I think I’m still going to try and make one that’s bigger but kinda copy the fireball trail of Mario. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome information! Thank you so much for sharing It's very cool that your family had the Amiibo in hand (no pun, ha).

Your measurements are very informative! Am still a fan of using that Mario fireball, so if you can't use it, I'd definitely try and make it work

Here are more ideas:

Fireball 1Fireball 1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1580645757/custom-3d-printed-flying-turtle-fireball?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Fireball 2Fireball 2

Could be the winner, with the STL 3D printing file available:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/fireball-effect-for-sh-monsterarts-figures

#77 3 months ago

Here is my first and maybe only attempt at the fireball in the Genie’s hand. I want to get light into the tail of the fireball. Otherwise I’m pretty good with it.

IMG_0800 (resized).jpegIMG_0800 (resized).jpegIMG_0804 (resized).jpegIMG_0804 (resized).jpegIMG_0806 (resized).jpegIMG_0806 (resized).jpegIMG_0811 (resized).jpegIMG_0811 (resized).jpeg

#78 3 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Here is my first and maybe only attempt at the fireball in the Genie’s hand. I want to get light into the tail of the fireball. Otherwise I’m pretty good with it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your custom fireball deserves a few more photos when lit up

Looks great and looks exactly like what you described you wanted.

My two questions are:

1. Will it be painted so it’s colored when not lit up?

2. What will the bulb be connected to? Am not familiar with TOTAN lighting

Nice work!

#79 3 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Your custom fireball deserves a few more photos when lit up
Looks great and looks exactly like what you described you wanted.
My two questions are:
1. Will it be painted so it’s colored when not lit up?
2. What will the bulb be connected to? Am not familiar with TOTAN lighting
Nice work!

Thanks Brother!
1. I'll definitely paint it. But before I do I want to see if I can get the tail of the flames to light up as well.
2. I'm not sure what it connects to yet to light up when the fireball is thrown. I think the blue eyes will connect to GI to be on all the time. More research needed there.

#80 3 months ago

First look with it on playfield.

IMG_0821 (resized).jpegIMG_0821 (resized).jpegIMG_0825 (resized).jpegIMG_0825 (resized).jpeg
#81 3 months ago

Had to take a break from TOTAN to finish up an IJ cabinet I'm restoring for someone. I hope to start getting ramps together and mounting them next.Front before (resized).pngFront before (resized).pngFront after (resized).jpgFront after (resized).jpgSide before (resized).pngSide before (resized).pngSide after (resized).jpgSide after (resized).jpgFront corner before (2) (resized).pngFront corner before (2) (resized).pngFrontcorner after (resized).jpgFrontcorner after (resized).jpgBack before (resized).pngBack before (resized).pngBack after (resized).jpgBack after (resized).jpgBottom half sanded (resized).pngBottom half sanded (resized).png

Head before (resized).pngHead before (resized).pngHead during (resized).pngHead during (resized).pngHead final (resized).jpgHead final (resized).jpgHead paint (resized).pngHead paint (resized).png
#82 3 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Had to take a break from TOTAN to finish up an IJ cabinet I'm restoring for someone. I hope to start getting ramps together and mounting them next.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great work! I’d love to take a used Indy cabinet and make it nice again like you have

Those side blades feel like the most iconic for the game, in my eyes, but how do you think they look?

We all do what we need for that pinball money

#83 3 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Great work! I’d love to take a used Indy cabinet and make it nice again like you have
Those side blades feel like the most iconic for the game, in my eyes, but how do you think they look?
We all do what we need for that pinball money

Thanks! I have to do my own IJ at some point. Mines is faded as that one if not worse. I really like the side blades. Those were meant for my machine but I went ahead and put them on his. I need to order another set.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bentonville, AR
$ 119.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.