• Latest reply 5 years ago by 2pupPinz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TIP120 (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

So I was playing TOTAN and got an error saying ramp diverter is broken. Tested switch 15 the ramp entry and that works fine, but in solenoid test ( with door closed) coil # 21 does not fire. Tested with volt meter and there is 70 volts when measuring a lug and grounding the other lead. Am I to assume the coil is bad?

#2 5 years ago

Let me know what you find out, mine just did the same thing. I changed old coil sleeve, and it worked fine for a few plays, then broken again. I plan on changing coil next to see if that remedies the issue.

#3 5 years ago

I know im redundant but finding ribbon cables vausing failures like thg his esp the small one from logic to driver.

#4 5 years ago

Don’t assume the coil is bad. You have power - now do a quick check and see if grounding the tab of the associated transistor on the driver board causes the coil to fire - that will let you know of the downstream wiring to the coil is sound and if the coil itself works. Report back.

#5 5 years ago

Your game doesn't know what a diverter is.

It does know a switch the ball would trigger on a switch past it didn't work. So be sure switch is working, not #15, but a switch later that has been diverted.

Does the diverter fire in solenoid test ?

LTG : )

#6 5 years ago

you should measure almost the same voltage on both lugs if the coil isn't fired. If one side measures 0 and the coil is not activated, check the coil. Sometimes the thin wire going from the coil to the lug is broken due to mechanic stress. (in this case, unwind the coil one turn and resolder it to the lug)

#7 5 years ago

Okay will check. Both sides of coil legs do measure similar voltage. Coil does not fire in test. I remember a quick error message flashing up before the ramp diverter is broken that said something about a ground short? But it doesn't show anymore in test. Just came on briefly the first time the ramp diverter broken error came on.

I am not at home but will test the transistor. Can I get some info on exactly how that is done?

#8 5 years ago

I had to figure that out today as well. Not sure if I did it correctly, but to ground out the tab, yours will be Q26 for ramp diverter, refer to pg. 3-5 in manual. I placed an alligator clip wire on the tab at the hole, then touched the other end BREIFLY to ground braid or leg of the machine. I had to do that to test Bazaar eject coil, and it fired. Note you will get a small arc or spark, I was hesitant at first, but I think I did it right. I searched high and low for info on how to do that too. Checking the switches before and after the diverter too is a good idea as LTG suggested. Check the resistance on the coil too, that may help others with more experience than I do to help you out.

#9 5 years ago

The test 2pupPinz did is correct, you have to connect the collector of the TIP120 with ground and one way to do this is as described.
If it turns out the transistor is faulty, you should also check the small transistor driving the TIP120, they sometimes fail together and in that case you have to replace them both or the small one wil continue to blow up the tip120 (mostly replacing the TIP120 is sufficient). This test also checks if the connection between powerdriver and coil is OK.
Succes

#10 5 years ago

I am headed home today. I thought I remember the tip transistors have 3 soldered legs. Which leg does the lead go on. Obviously black to ground

#11 5 years ago

The TIP's do have 3 legs: TIP120 (resized).pngTIP120 (resized).png
and it's the collector, that is connected to the heatsink, you need to connect to ground. This way you bypass the transistor.
The emittor is already connected to ground.

#12 5 years ago

In my ever seeking quest for pinball knowledge I always forget the fact that you should look for the simplest things first. You're right the coil wasn't bad I traced the wires and someone had cut the drive wire and just Twisted it together with some electrical tape and that had come loose. Put the drive wire back together (splice connector with heat shrink)check continuity fired up the machine and now everything is good thanks everyone for your help

#13 5 years ago

But why? Why would they do that unless there was a problem?

#14 5 years ago

There is the question. I have had this machine for many years and never noticed this repair. The board seemed fine as far as the Q26 firing the coil after the repair and it fires during game play. Perhaps someone just didnt know what they were doing? The molex connector at J112 shows no burn, nothing on the boiards I can see so I dont have an answer to that. But definitely a sloppy repair. We will see. Are you suggesting I should check something further?

#15 5 years ago

Yeah - that’s probably the best bet. Just doesn’t make much sense. Glad you figured it out - TOTAN is a great game.

#16 5 years ago

Thanks now I'm troubleshooting a very erratic problem on my creature. I have a left flipper that will stick in the up position. I still think it's mechanical and not electrical although the easiest way to test that would be to try and wait for it to happen again and then turn the machine off and see if the flipper goes back down to its normal position. I have trouble generating the problem and when I do I am always having a great game lol. I have rebuilt the whole mechanism cleaned it check the EOS switch all those kind of things. But it's still doing it. Next would be either the fliptroniks board or it being an electrical problem that I haven't figured out yet. It happens only when the game gets a little bit warmer and very infrequently

#17 5 years ago

Easy to go over. Remove the plunger assembly, does it wiggle freely ? Watch the pawl when the plunger pulls it in, anywhere near the long EOS leaf blade ? If so your blade may be worn off enough to snag it once in awhile. Swap the flipper button opto boards, might have a flaky opto or an interrupter not always doing a good job returning and blocking the opto beam.

LTG : )

#18 5 years ago

So it was electrical and it was the left opto board in a way. there weer two hex plastic nuits on the flipper button shaft and for a weird reason one of them had worked its way lose and very occasionally must have blocked the flipper plastic from returning to close the opto- weird stuff today.

And for the TOTAN owners, when i replaced the coil the lugs of the coil interfere with seating the round plastic with the sword on it as the plastic sits lower than the lugs of the coil. Does someone have a pic of how I put it back in wrong to show me how to get this sitting right. I suppose i could bend the tabs of the coil down but they werent originally- i am missing something simple

#19 5 years ago

I think you may need to just rotate the coil a quarter turn so the lugs point out towards the right side (towards pop bumpers). You wil need to remove the coil stop to rotate it.

#20 5 years ago

Of Course- so simple- ty!!

#21 5 years ago

Been there myself!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-ramp-diverter-coil-question?hl=bsbdmd83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.