IMG_3426 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_3425 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_3423 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_3422 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_3421 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_3420 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_3216 (resized).JPG
IMG_0828 (resized).JPG
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

After a year, I'm finally getting to do this swap starting today. I have a fairly decent playfield to start with but it has the typical ghosting and some slight insert to playfield separation. I've had the machine since December 2014 and was on CPR's waitlist well before I got a machine. I have a solid cabinet with some touch ups, and recently have done brass on the side rails, shooter housing, legs, apron, scimitar, wireform, lock down bar, rear glass trim, and hinges when they have them ready in the next few weeks. I've had some fellow Pinsiders/friends over on Saturday, so I've been ready for the swap slowly gathering some odds and ends for this.

I'm installing Taylor's new rails, some new plastics, and rebuilding the pop bumpers completely as they've had cracked housings since I've owned the machine. Hardware will be tumbled as usual with 48 hours with walnut shells and Flitz. Most parts are being placed in the ultrasonic with my usual 50C at 18 minutes with a 1/3 Greased Lightning mix with 2/3 DI water.

New playfield and cabinet pics:

DSCN1869_(resized).JPGDSCN1869_(resized).JPG

DSCN1797_(resized).JPGDSCN1797_(resized).JPG
IMG_0291_(resized).JPGIMG_0291_(resized).JPG
IMG_0292_(resized).JPGIMG_0292_(resized).JPG
IMG_0362_(resized).JPGIMG_0362_(resized).JPG
IMG_0294_(resized).JPGIMG_0294_(resized).JPG
IMG_0363_(resized).JPGIMG_0363_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Some of the teardown. I've measured all the posts and will make a detailed log showing which posts go where (As per my machine).

DSCN1801_(resized).JPGDSCN1801_(resized).JPG

DSCN1803_(resized).JPGDSCN1803_(resized).JPG

DSCN1804_(resized).JPGDSCN1804_(resized).JPG

DSCN1802_(resized).JPGDSCN1802_(resized).JPG

DSCN1806_(resized).JPGDSCN1806_(resized).JPG

DSCN1800_(resized).JPGDSCN1800_(resized).JPG

DSCN1808_(resized).JPGDSCN1808_(resized).JPG

DSCN1799_(resized).JPGDSCN1799_(resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Nice! I will be watching this one closely.

#4 7 years ago

I just finished this swap with my TOTAN. I decided to add a playfield protector to mine. I saw a couple of CPR playfields that had some nasty ball impacts. I figured with as fast as this game plays and the amount of air balls I get, it needed something to protect the playfield. It turned out real nice and the entire PF looks like it's under water.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I just finished this swap with my TOTAN. I decided to add a playfield protector to mine. I saw a couple of CPR playfields that had some nasty ball impacts. I figured with as fast as this game plays and the amount of air balls I get, it needed something to protect the playfield. It turned out real nice and the entire PF looks like it's under water.

Wow, looks great.

#6 7 years ago

I also have one of the cpr playfields for this and will be doing this swap eventually. Looking forward to reading about your experiences. Did you reclear yours or are you going with the clear that came on it?

#7 7 years ago

No reclear; as delivered but often think I should've done that. My reasoning for not is that the clear work is better than as delivered new. I'm hoping so.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I've often considered this option. Have you taken any pics of the swap?

#9 7 years ago

ive got a CPR gold in mine as well ! liking the TILT side decals as these go all the way to the bottom of the apron unlike the ones from TREASURE COVE.

where did you get a new chart for the bottom of the cabinet?

#10 7 years ago

So jealous mine needs a new playfield? Any one selling one cheap pm me.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

e often considered this option. Have you taken any pics of the swap?

Yes a few. the protector is very easy to install when your doing this. They were really cheap on EBay $69 when I bought one.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Marco Specialties has the plastic reproductions. If your a purest (like me) take it down to Office Depot and have a copy made on the large paper. It's identical to the factory originals that were stapled inside the cabinets

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

So jealous mine needs a new playfield? Any one selling

How bad is your playfield? I have this original (above) take a look at it. It has some small ghosting on a few of the letters for the bazaar no major wear spots. Pm me if your interested

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

ive got a CPR gold in mine as well ! liking the TILT side decals as these go all the way to the bottom of the apron unlike the ones from TREASURE COVE.

Agree 100%. I forget where I got it but online somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

#15 7 years ago

Old playfield is bare. I found there's 28 8/32" T Nuts for those keeping score which is a welcome to change to have them all the same. Found that there is 3 purple star double posts. All three of mine were broken/banged up. I did have to order 10 purple star single posts.

DSCN1881_(resized).JPGDSCN1881_(resized).JPG

DSCN1878_(resized).JPGDSCN1878_(resized).JPG

DSCN1879_(resized).JPGDSCN1879_(resized).JPG

DSCN1880_(resized).JPGDSCN1880_(resized).JPG

DSCN1877_(resized).JPGDSCN1877_(resized).JPG

DSCN1886_(resized).JPGDSCN1886_(resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago

Looking good!

#17 7 years ago

If I do another CPR playfield swap, I'm going to pre drill all the dimples for the holes for everything under the playfield. It would speed up the install by at least an hour or so. I replaced all the T nuts and star posts.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

If I do another CPR playfield swap, I'm going to pre drill all the dimples for the holes for everything under the playfield. It would speed up the install by at least an hour or so. I replaced all the T nuts and star posts.

You're so right on this. I'm glad they're dimpled but they're all too small.

#19 7 years ago

Slow progress today.

For those with a CPR or even a touched up/cleared original, are you using the ball guides between the flippers and apron? On one hand, I like the area clean, but on the other, I have a brass apron and any banging/noise is always good and original. Curious what others have done.

IMG_2844_(resized).JPGIMG_2844_(resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Yes I'm using them. My game came with them. The CPR playfield was drilled for them also.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Yes I'm using them. My game came with them. The CPR playfield was drilled for them also.

Thanks. Mine was too as the new playfield.

#22 7 years ago

Not much to update as I'm waiting for either tumbling, parts, or time. I have all the guides, rails, and posts top side in. I did install the ball guides by the apron.

IMG_2846.JPGIMG_2846.JPG

#23 7 years ago

I've made a cleaned up sheet of what posts go where from how my machine came apart. I will say that it plays perfect with the posts how they came out and the angle I have the machine at. I'll note if I find any discrepancies. I know others have posted their post notes as well but for the sake of comparison, here's what I have. Where there's a top and bottom, it notes there's two posts (Such as one under a ramp and one on top).

TOTAN Hex posts_spacer assignments.jpgTOTAN Hex posts_spacer assignments.jpg

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I've made a cleaned up sheet of what posts go where from how my machine came apart. I will say that it plays perfect with the posts how they came out and the angle I have the machine at. I'll note if I find any discrepancies. I know others have posted their post notes as well but for the sake of comparison, here's what I have. Where there's a top and bottom, it notes there's two posts (Such as one under a ramp and one on top).

Cool! Much appreciated!

#25 7 years ago

Don't let this happen to you! There must have been clear in the holes and when the spikes activated... It took pieces of the playfield with it!
After many sleepless nights... I'm finally in peace with myself.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I'm finally in peace with myself.

dangggggggg...

#27 7 years ago

Uggh, thanks for sharing mollyspub. I had a scare on one hole I ran a screw through and the clear was pushing up, so I stopped and started drilling as I almost had that happen.

Was your swap relatively simple? It seems pretty tame compared to others I've done.

#28 7 years ago

Hi everyone, concerning the mistake above where the rods come up to save the ball, and get caught on the clear coat. This is common so be careful. I reccomended tools for this for so long that now I just sell them. Its a set of 6 dremmil diamond bits that remove the clear. all diffrrent shapes and sizes for things like remove all of the clear in the t nut holes so you can push them in by hand, also the biggest screw up, the pop bomper lug nails. They are great for making the nails sit flush. also on other titles you may have star roll overs that are clogged with clear? I got a bit for that!!!!!
I also remove the clear on any drilling bigger than 1/8.
so if interested in a set let me know.
I also suggest predrilling every single thing on both sides. also remember to drill or use dremmil bits to remove the clear out of post holes so in the future when they have to be removed, they will slide out without removing wood!!!. Lastly, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!! I am not trying to be a know it all, this is just stuff I have to say every time I deliver a pf to a new customer.

#29 7 years ago

I don't know why people seem to think ghosting is the end of the world. Ghosting is part of clearcoated fields. You have to get used to it. It's going to happen to this CPR field someday as well. Leave it in a hot or cold area and it will happen faster. If you don't like ghosting. Buy only lacquer playfield games.

#30 7 years ago

Sure wish I knew this then!

#31 7 years ago

End of the world? it is described in the book of revelations in the end times! what more do you want!

#32 7 years ago

Great stuff Ron.

You're right Neo about the ghosting. It bothers me as I want my machine nice now. Seems like there's a lot more ghosting on this title. Is it the inserts, a different process or type of clear on these? CV comes to mind with a lot of ghosting more so than other most others BW's of the era.

#33 7 years ago

it's just because of the size of the inserts. The larger the insert, the more shifting that takes place and expanding and contracting. AFM's ghost a lot as well. TZ's have it, TAF, CFTBL, MB. I've seen it on all of them. The color of the insert makes it more prominent as well.

#34 7 years ago

Has anyone tried these on TOTAN? The regular Britecaps were awesome on a friends FH. Thinking the frosted purple ICE would look good on TOTAN.

#35 7 years ago

Use a pf protector and you wont have to worry about Ghosting

#36 7 years ago

It wasnt ghosting that I was concerned with it was the ball impacts on the clear coated pf
The balls pound on the inserts as well. I have seen the clear coat on these cpr pf break under a ball impact instead of dimple. Once that happens you gotta live with it

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Has anyone tried these on TOTAN? The regular Britecaps were awesome on a friends FH. Thinking the frosted purple ICE would look good on TOTAN.

I have had purple "Angel Eyes" for years now. Bought them from Superfluxshop.de -> https://www.superfluxshop.de/products-mainmenu-64.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=290 = 4,90€ a piece.

Not the best picture to see them, but it gives very nice purple lightning effect for quite a dark corner of the playfield.

-Peter

totan.jpgtotan.jpg

#38 7 years ago

Very cool. Thanks Peter!

#40 7 years ago

Purple is the way to go... I also have in mine (regular pop caps), and it looks beautiful!

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Use a pf protector and you wont have to worry about Ghosting

PF protector isn't going to do shit for ghosting. If its' going to happen, it's going to happen. Happens to NOS, new stuff, has nothing to do with the ball. yes the ball can hit and shift the insert and stuff, which can speed it up. Protector or not, it won't matter.

#42 7 years ago

Hi everyone- I'm getting ready to embark on this project myself. Tim thinks I can't do it. Watch me pal!
I'll be checking in here with questions, asking for tips, venting.
This weekend I begin the journey with building two rotisseries!
Thank you for sharing all the tips and issues here.

Wish me luck!

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

Hi everyone- I'm getting ready to embark on this project myself. Tim thinks I can't do it. Watch me pal!
I'll be checking in here with questions, asking for tips, venting.
This weekend I begin the journey with building two rotisseries!
Thank you for sharing all the tips and issues here.
Wish me luck!

This is a TOTAN playfield swap doc. please show some pictures of your swap. So i can work up the courage to do one for mine. keep this thread going

#44 7 years ago

I should have taken a picture of the underside, but I did get the switch harness cleaned up in the ultrasonic and in place. So far, 99% of all dimples were dead on. For those that haven't done this swap, or any swap, the dimples are still a guide. I always check each one because sometimes you need to deviate for a perfect alignment. But this being my 2nd CPR play field has been great as far as hole locations/dimples. But predrill as mentioned and use a drill stop!

Light harness is drying so hoping to get that put in tomorrow. I put on the rubbers. Ironically, the Marco set included 2 1.5" rings. I wasn't doing a double take until I realized that they accidentally sent these instead of flipper rubbers. Never hurts to have spare rings and i have SuperBands on anyway so I have little use for the flipper rubbers.

And for Mrs. MezelMod, I finally have an excuse to put on your plastic here. Any chance you'd make these in other colors?

IMG_2910 (resized).JPGIMG_2910 (resized).JPG

IMG_2908 (resized).JPGIMG_2908 (resized).JPG

#45 7 years ago

Oh it's so beautiful. Hope I get to do one of these PF swaps someday... Keep the pics coming...
-mof

#46 7 years ago

Looking great DMacy!!! I can't wait to play it.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

don't know why people seem to think ghosting is the end of the world. Ghosting is part of clearcoated fields. You have to get used to it. It's going to happen to this CPR field someday as well. Leave it in a hot or cold area and it will happen faster. If you don't like ghosting. Buy only lacquer playfield games.

I don't believe that at all. I have 16 classic WB games and only one had ghosting on the inserts and that was TOTAN. Ghosting is created by heat from the incondesent light bulbs used in the playfields. Some did it some didn't due to the length of time they were left on. The clear coated PF s ghost for different reasons then the old games.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Hi everyone, concerning the mistake above where the rods come up to save the ball, and get caught on the clear coat. This is common so be careful. I reccomended tools for this for so long that now I just sell them. Its a set of 6 dremmil diamond bits that remove the clear. all diffrrent shapes and sizes for things like remove all of the clear in the t nut holes so you can push them in by hand, also the biggest screw up, the pop bomper lug nails. They are great for making the nails sit flush. also on other titles you may have star roll overs that are clogged with clear? I got a bit for that!!!!!
I also remove the clear on any drilling bigger than 1/8.
so if interested in a set let me know.
I also suggest predrilling every single thing on both sides. also remember to drill or use dremmil bits to remove the clear out of post holes so in the future when they have to be removed, they will slide out without removing wood!!!. Lastly, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!! I am not trying to be a know it all, this is just stuff I have to say every time I deliver a pf to a new customer.

Ron can you please list or PM me the dremel part numbers for these tools?

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I don't believe that at all. I have 16 classic WB games and only one had ghosting on the inserts and that was TOTAN. Ghosting is created by heat from the incondesent light bulbs used in the playfields. Some did it some didn't due to the length of time they were left on. The clear coated PF s ghost for different reasons then the old games.

my totan didn't have any ghosting. it's just luck of the draw. My CV didn't have any ghosting either. I've seen TAF, TZ, NGG, STNNG, BSD, GI, AFM, MB, MM, TOTAN, CV and more all with ghosting. I've seen all of those games without it as well. Over 11 years of restoring playfields, AFM and TAF has problems with ghosting and chipping. Every B/W has been seen with ghosting. Capcoms, Segas, DE. All of them can get it. Doesn't happen to all of them, but they all could have it happen.

#50 7 years ago

I received the Britecaps today. I went with the ice (frosted) and purple boards. If I don't like them, I'll go with the regular purple caps. They're pretty cool being able to act as a flasher if wanted and adjustable brightness.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 84.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 119.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-playfield-swap-with-new-cpr-gold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.