Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lamp (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I’m stumped. I’m having a problem with the three lights under the spinning lamp on my TOTAN. While troubleshooting some other non-functioning lights (which I fixed) I realized only one of three lights under my lamp was working.

The photo below shows where the three lights are located. #3 is concealed, but you can see one of its two wires. (Actually, until I started investigating I never even knew this #3 socket existed. This light has probably been burned out for as long as I owned the machine.)

When I originally was looking at this, #1 and #2 had 6.3 volt LED flashers in them, and #3 had a burned out incandescent bulb. Only #2 was working. So I moved #2 to the #1 socket and couldn’t get it to light. At this point I’m thinking I must have damaged the prongs removing #2 because it never worked again – even in its original socket.

I had a box of 555 Eiko incandescent bulbs (again, 6.3 volts) so I next loaded up all the sockets with them. Only the bulb in socket #1 worked. Socket #2, which had been fine for years until I simply removed the original flasher, wasn’t working nor was socket #3.

To add to the mystery, my new bulb in socket #1 burned out after a single game. I tried another new bulb and the same thing happened – burned out after a single game.

So this is where I’m at now...

First, I was rather surprised how much nicer the incandescent looked (when it worked!) as there seemed to be a nice warm glow under the lamp – almost like fire. I think I would prefer to use incandescents for all three sockets, but obviously I can’t if they burn out after one game. I’m wondering if these need to be 12 volt instead?

Second, what on earth happened to socket #2? Switching out a light broke it?? (And, in turn, that broke #3 as well??) Part of me is confused by the fact if you look at that photo, #2 has a completely different set of wires than #1, while #3’s wires are a continuation off #2 (using a brown and white wire scheme). Since all three lights are supposed to flash on in unison, is #2 and #3 supposed to operate off a different circuit? Instead – shouldn’t my blue and red wire connected to #1 continue on to #2 and #3?

Lamp (resized).jpgLamp (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Well for a start socket #1 has a 555 ( 6 volt bulb ) in it. The wire colors are for a bulb used for flashers ( 20 volts hits them briefly ) you want a #906 or #912 12 volt bulb in there.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

#2 looks like flasher wiring too.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks LTG. I was suspecting I needed a 12 volt bulb. Should #2 & #3 run off different wiring from #1? Seems odd I can't get anything to light up in 2 & 3 now, but I can certainly buy the proper bulbs and try again.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

Seems odd I can't get anything to light up in 2 & 3 now,

Flasher test - high power interlock on coin door enabled so you have high power. If they don't flash, then go over sockets and wiring back to driver board. You lost power somewhere.

Best check a manual and see if 2 and 3 are flashers or lamps.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Flasher test - high power interlock on coin door enabled so you have high power. If they don't flash, then go over sockets and wiring back to driver board. You lost power somewhere.
Best check a manual and see if 2 and 3 are flashers or lamps.

Yeah, in the flasher test only #1 works. Part of my confusion is the manual shows these to be 24-8768 bulbs - but those are the 555 6.3 volts, right?

#7 5 years ago

but those are the 555 6.3 volts, right?

No idea. Check wire colors, or in Tests - Single Lamp Test ( no flashers in this test ) see if they are in there. By name, number.

#8 5 years ago

Well the manual does state the 24-8768 bulbs are the 555s so none of this is making sense. Did a previous owner completely rewire this lighting? Curious if other TOTAN owners have these lights wired the same way and what bulbs they use.

#9 5 years ago

Did a previous owner completely rewire this lighting?

Easy to check. Go to Single Lamp Test - scroll to the lamp you want. Hit the start button, then start hitting the + diagnostic button. That will step you through lamp name, number, wire colors, pin and connector they go to.

#10 5 years ago

Well the other lights match up in the test. It's just the spinning lamp flashers I'm confused about. But again, sockets 2 and 3 run off different wires and don't work anymore for some reason, so those don't light up in the test (even though #2 worked for years with a 6 volt LED flasher until I took it out; no idea now if it would have lit up correctly under the diagnostic test). Only #1 works now - but only for a few minutes until a fresh bulb dies (even though it's the correct bulb according to the manual).

#11 5 years ago

ut again, sockets 2 and 3 run off different wires

Follow the wires and see where they go. Maybe they have jumpers from another socket to them. Find where they come from might help sort it out.

Quoted from rennervision:nly #1 works now - but only for a few minutes until a fresh bulb dies (even though it's the correct bulb according to the manual).

Manuals aren't perfect. Assuming you aren't mistaken. If you insist in putting a 6 volt bulb in a 12 socket that gets hit with 20 volts, you'll keep burning out #555's fast.

#12 5 years ago

According to the manual. Page 2-40 and 2-40, those are all Magic Lamp Flashers. #906 or #912 bulbs.

There are no lamps in that vicinity.

So the first socket, #1 in your picture, probably has jumper wires from it going to the other two sockets. So if #1 works, check continuity of wiring to the other sockets and if the sockets are good. In your original post you posted you may have damaged the prongs in the socket. Besides checking the wiring, you might need a couple new sockets too.

#13 5 years ago

Yeah I see that now. I was confusing those with the "Lamp" bulbs on page 2-37 which is for something completely different. Alright - well I'm off to get the right bulbs and then see what happens next. Thank you.

2 years later
#14 3 years ago

Just ran into this note... never realized the lamp base had bulbs! I just never looked that close since I have not had any problems with the lamp assembly at all. That said, I just started cleaning all of the bulb PCBs and lamps themselves last week, so I would have possibly run into those burned out bulbs in the process. In any case, I now have another three bulbs to clean/check.

#15 3 years ago

Just shopped a TOTAN.. 2@ 555 and 1@ 906

#16 3 years ago

This note triggered me to check/replace mine. This allows me to confirm/advise what the lamps need to be and how to replace them..

There are two light sockets that are attached to the metal spinning lamp bracket. These are wedge sockets, wired in parallel and should have standard Low voltage 555 bulbs installed. On an older game, like mine, I suspect these are blown out and never were replaced Because of the difficulty. These are pretty hard to get to unless you remove the bracket, but doing so is 6 screws, two connectors and takes just 5 minutes. (and you can clean the red lamp base with rubbing alcohol while you are doing so)

There is a third bulb socket that mounts to the wood play field that hangs over the spinning base to illuminate in lightning mode. That is a high voltage 906 flasher bulb, and needs to be loosened slightly when pulling the lamp assembly, swinging the socket and bulb out of the way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 36.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 119.99

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-owners-help-needed-with-lights-under-spinning-lamp?hl=markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.