genie_mult (resized).png
3 (resized).png
fire1 (resized).png
sneak1 (resized).png
TOTAN-sample (resized).jpg
1 (resized).png

#1 72 days ago

TOTAN 2.0 HD version

The project is the HD version with new HD visual animations and is related to the project TOTAN 2.0 « Twilight melody » with the same additional modes.

link to the original project:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody

The new visuals are meant to stay faithfull to the original animations but are using the better definition and colors.

This is a python project running with a dedicated hardware replacing the current WPC CPU with a controller board and a Media board holding CPU. The developpement has been done with P-ROC board but the code can be run also with a Fast board. This software has the original sofware embedded with an extension.
On this TOTAN version, you have twice more modes and also, video modes:The game is now more challenging and run an auto launcher.

1 (resized).png
sneak1 (resized).pngfire1 (resized).png
genie_mult (resized).png

3 (resized).png

#2 72 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

The project is the HD version with new HD visual animations and is related to the project TOTAN 2.0 « Twilight melody » whish is currently available under the name "The forgotten tales" on « Mirco »'s store.
I will update this first post, once in a week (let's say friday) with some screenshots, new infos, visual and so on.
The new visuals are meant to stay faithfull to the original animations but are using the better definition and colors.
On my last thread, all the infos were spread over the thread so I think it's better to keep everything on post #1.
Quick FAQ:
-What is this project about?:
a new extension kit meant to be available in the future.
-How it works?
this is a python project running with a dedicated hardware replacing the current WPC CPU with a FAST board and a Media board holding CPU.
-What is the difference with the TOTAN software?
this softare has the original sofware embedded with an extension. The original sofware is NOT an emulation but the exact same one recoded as well as the extension.
-What do you mean by emulation Vs original rewrite?
I recoded the sofware in another language and colorized all the frames. It let me fix some animations flaws, some software issues and most of all, let me change the original rules I was not so happy with.
-Why did you do this project?
for me TOTAN is one of the most georgious pin in the 90s era and I always thought the sofware was not as good as the design was and was way too easy and boring. That's why I sold my first TOTAN. I've bought another TOTAN years after ONLY for this project.
-Is there any other improvments?:
I've added new lampshow effects for instance and other things... and most of all: the missing feature for the TOTAN , the auto launcher !
-regarding the mode, what is the differences?
on this TOTAN version, you have twice more modes and also, video modes. The game is now more challenging and you will not beat the game that easily now.
-any improvement in setting too?
you can now set up coil power change which could fix old hardware issues, disable some modes and other things.
-on what screen this will be available?
today, both PIN2DMD with RGB leds with matrix and LCD are working so both are working. Current TOTAN 2.0 kit is sold with a PIN2DMD but any other display such as LCD can be adapt.
-other comments...?
A kit is the thing which make you keep your georgious genuine pinball, revive it and relaunch the interest.
This thread is dedicated to the HD display only since it's like a new project by itself. I'm already working on it for several months now.
news to come... , thanks for reading (if you got that far )
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

look forward for updates !

#3 71 days ago

I have to say that if this sample is indicative of your updated images/animations, then you've got some real ART in you!!!! At first glance, it could be mistaken for a live movie image if it were played on a non-HD screen. It's it truely amazing!!!! (I am feeling like I should have never sold my pristine TOTAN game a couple of years ago....)

TOTAN-sample (resized).jpg
#4 71 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I have to say that if this sample is indicative of your updated images/animations, then you've got some real ART in you!!!! At first glance, it could be mistaken for a live movie image if it were played on a non-HD screen. It's it truely amazing!!!! (I am feeling like I should have never sold my pristine TOTAN game a couple of years ago....)
[quoted image]

Thanks for your comment.
Yes this is something which require also a lot of time and it’s kind of a new project by itself.

#5 69 days ago

post #1 updated 11/18

#6 69 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

The project is the HD version with new HD visual animations and is related to the project TOTAN 2.0 « Twilight melody » which is currently available as a kit under the name "The forgotten tales" on « Mirco »'s store.

I dunno. The mix of live action/colorized video and drawn animation is jarring. I'm sure it's a lot of work, but I think the route CGC took just having artists re-do the art in high res is a better end result.

#7 69 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I dunno. The mix of live action/colorized video and drawn animation is jarring. I'm sure it's a lot of work, but I think the route CGC took just having artists re-do the art in high res is a better end result.

This is an honor for me being compared to a finished software already in production by a major company however I don't try being compare to anything else, I go my way and the way I want it to be, that's it.
As I stated: this is far from being finished and still WIP, new changes are coming, the current animation has already changed since the video.
I thought it was nice sharing current WIP project because pinball projects are fun. That's the only goal here.

#8 69 days ago

genie multiball picture added

#9 69 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

genie multiball picture added

Thanks for the update, i do really like the new style. I think that you have more freedom now with the design and colors looks great for now.
Keep the good work.

#10 68 days ago

On the book front page... that trinity knot is a bit off with the theme... It's a Celtic symbol, would be nice to have a more Persian symbol like a Farre Kiyâni or a Shabaz
Cheers

#11 67 days ago
Quoted from Days:

On the book front page... that trinity knot is a bit off with the theme... It's a Celtic symbol, would be nice to have a more Persian symbol like a Farre Kiyâni or a Shabaz
Cheers

As you know, the tales of the arabian nights is not only persian, but also arabic and indian. This symbol has been inspired by an arabic symbol found on a old arabic book I’ve found and inspire the magic which is the spirit of the jinns and genies.

Here is some other samples:
3F4392F4-34A1-4DAE-A405-DDA791587F92 (resized).png8A07E668-1F90-4EEE-840A-637251B3BE13 (resized).png

#12 67 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

As you know, the tales of the arabian nights is not only persian, but also arabic and indian. This symbol has been inspired by an arabic symbol found on a old arabic book I’ve found and inspire the magic which is the spirit of the jinns anf genies.
I don’t want to start a debate on this, no offense.
Here is some other samples:
[quoted image][quoted image]

haaa ok, sorry, it looked the celtic one on the image

#13 67 days ago
Quoted from Days:

haaa ok, sorry, it looked the celtic one on the image

I chose this arabic symbol because, for me, it inspires the magic: that was the idea. Actually, the movie "the 7th voyage of Sinbad" and its mean magician is also a good reference.

2 weeks later
#14 49 days ago

quick update and some clarification since I got the question by PM:
- this HD project is only a personal project so it's meant to be run in my home. This is the ultimate goal for me to raise the TOTAN software to the point I wanted and get better animations. I look forward to share a real gameplay video: I'm currently in the process to get a speaker panel made for my display, so it should happen not too far from now.
- a lot of animations don't even exist on this software because there are coming from new modes added to this extension, for instance, in this software, there are 14 tales, the second one trigger a new Jewel win animation such as this one.

more infos soon.

1 week later
#15 39 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

quick update and some clarification since I got the question by PM:
- this HD project is only a personal project so it's meant to be run in my home. This is the ultimate goal for me to raise the TOTAN software to the point I wanted and get better animations. I look forward to share a real gameplay video: I'm currently in the process to get a speaker panel made for my display, so it should happen not too far from now.
- a lot of animations don't even exist on this software because there are coming from new modes added to this extension, for instance, in this software, there are 14 tales, the second one trigger a new Jewel win animation such as this one.

more infos soon.

Just traded my JP premium for a beautiful TOTAN yesterday. Looking forward to the progress!!

#16 35 days ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Just traded my JP premium for a beautiful TOTAN yesterday. Looking forward to the progress!!

thanks for your message.
Around 60 % of all the modes are in HD now including all the old modes. I miss the first final Wizard mode only. All the tales has been completly reworked. All the animation spirit has faithfull to the original with the same events like the cyclops is in the sea... but all the animations are new (no upscale): I didn't see the point to reuse really low res animation from the original which were not the best from WMS anyway with the possibility we have nowdays with a better screen and colors. Regarding the animations in 1996, CAPCOM did a much better job in the same era. Now that I can, I think TOTAN deserve better animations IMO.

Also, my HD rework include also some of the rules and modes. I will share more on that later once more adanced.
I'm still waiting for my prototype LCD speaker panel which I should have soon. Once I'll have it, I'l do a video on my Totan since I can now since I have all the old original tales in HD.

Here is a quick update (sorry the video focus is not the best )

#17 34 days ago

lockquote cite="#7309107">thanks for your message.
Around 60 % of all the modes are in HD now including all the old modes. I miss the first final Wizard mode only. All the tales has been completly reworked. All the animation spirit has faithfull to the original with the same events like the cyclops is in the sea... but all the animations are new (no upscale): I didn't see the point to reuse really low res animation from the original which were not the best from WMS anyway with the possibility we have nowdays with a better screen and colors. Regarding the animations in 1996, CAPCOM did a much better job in the same era. Now that I can, I think TOTAN deserve better animations IMO.
Also, my HD rework include also some of the rules and modes. I will share more on that later once more adanced.
I'm still waiting for my prototype LCD speaker panel which I should have soon. Once I'll have it, I'l do a video since I can now since I have all the old original tales in HD.
Here is a quick update (sorry the video focus is not the best )

That video looks amazing

#18 33 days ago

regarding the new rule, here is one sample: on the TOTAN 2.0, there have been added a new special harem multiball to be activated if the ruby is lit. If the ruby is not lit, then, the good old harem multi is launched (like the 1.4 rule)

For this new Harem multi mode, all the target raise the jackpot and the jackpot is won with aiming the right loop (a bit like the TZ and the gumball mode) and the ball is caught with the magnet wich validate the jackpot.

For it to be more interesting, the points will be higher and Jackpot more interesting: same as the mode itself.

harem_mult (resized).png
1 week later
#19 23 days ago

Currently working on lip synch which is one of the new feature I’ve added to this HD version: I think it’s a good addition.

#20 23 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Currently working on lip synch which is one of the new feature I’ve added to this HD version: I think it’s a good addition.

Really nice ! I wonder for which modes it will be used, the wizard mode maybe.

#21 21 days ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Really nice ! I wonder for which modes it will be used, the wizard mode maybe.

yes! for instance.

I'm still waiting for my speaker panel which is currently being built by one of my french relation. (thanks to him)

Progress is moving forward, all my multiballs (including the one from the extension) are now in HD.
I got also the skeleton rising again ...

#22 19 days ago

just did some progress with the wizard mode: ideas is now the skeletons has more moves and better animated, same as Sinbad.

WM (resized).png
1 week later
#23 9 days ago

since last time:
I've completly reworked the skill shots anims and finished the wizard mode (first one).
All the ending are now in HD as well and new.

Currently working on the attract mode, here is the new Williams anim for instance:

#24 9 days ago

Just ran across this post. WOW! This is superb! I thought color DMDs were a good enough upgrade, but this puts that to shame. Excellent work! I hope you tackle other titles.

#25 9 days ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Excellent work! I hope you tackle other titles.

Thanks ! It could be possible to run other titles but the best is to have the pin at home for testing and everything is I would chose one from my small collection I guess to start.

#26 8 days ago

update the new highscores.
Just missing the "palace mode" but I haven't worked back on it yet.

#27 8 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

update the new highscores.
Just missing the "palace mode" but I haven't worked back on it yet.

Have you consider to use AI for the illustrations?
Could be nice and even more faster and easy to google for images online.
I tested midjouney some days ago to make some dark art and the results where impressive.

#28 8 days ago
Quoted from Days:

Have you consider to use AI for the illustrations?
Could be nice and even more faster and easy to google for images online.
I tested midjouney some days ago to make some dark art and the results where impressive.

Thanks for the tip. I’m still a long way from the end so I invistage all the lead.

#29 8 days ago

the results of " darkness, doom, riding a horse, rk post style" RK Post is a very know illustrator that did tons of Magic the gathering cards illustrations.
But the IA can do illustrations in any style.
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-12 at 02.53.11 (resized).jpeg

#30 2 days ago

I've built my own LCD custom speaker panel and it should be ready soon for a quick demo.

score_display (resized).png
#31 1 day ago

My custom speaker built is over for my HD LCD.
It’s not too bad looking for a speaker built by me (I’m more soft than manual usually), I have the chance to have a tool store nearby my house.

A87BC985-A46D-47F2-8FE9-A2AB7CC8C016 (resized).jpeg
#32 2 hours ago

Quick first demo : LCD is much less bright in real.
Better to set the res on high.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
Boards
PinSound
Boards
18,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Powhatan, VA
$ 105.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!