• Latest reply 8 years ago by LilRocky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm working on a TOTAN and have fixed up everything except for the lower power solenoids and flashers. Both do not fire in the game or in test mode. However, I can jump a ground to each transistor to make them manually fire. The fuses all check out fine and the high power solenoids are all working fine. And no hacks or missing components on the solenoid driver board. I'm new to these WPC-95 boards, so any ideas on what to check next?

#2 8 years ago

I'm not sure. Did you check the relays?
Sorry.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

so any ideas on what to check next?

Sounds like the data doesn't reach the PowerDriverBoard. First reseat ribbon cable between CPU- and PDBoard.

#4 8 years ago

When you say fuses check out, does that mean you took one side out and tested them?

If the above is in fact correct, look for the first solenoid in that circuit, there many be a broken wire there, not allowing the piggy back chain to move on.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Sounds like the data doesn't reach the PowerDriverBoard. First reseat ribbon cable between CPU- and PDBoard.

I appreciate all the help responses.

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking the same here, where the MPU is not telling the PDB to fire. I tried re-seating everything from the ribbon cables to the ASIC chip. Still the exact same results.

As for the fuses and wiring, I'm assuming all this is good since I can manually jump these solenoids and flashers directly off the PDB and make them individually fire.

#6 8 years ago

You could do a continuity check between CPU U9 pin59 and PDB U6 pin 11.
This is the signal to enable SOL4 data transfer to Q41-48. I have no WPC95 to verify but this is from the manual.
If this tests ok, then an oscilloscope or logic probe would be very helpful.
Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Try voltage at TEST POINTS?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

You could do a continuity check between CPU U9 pin59 and PDB U6 pin 11.
This is the signal to enable SOL4 data transfer to Q41-48. I have no WPC95 to verify but this is from the manual.
If this tests ok, then an oscilloscope or logic probe would be very helpful.
Untitled-1.jpg

Nice find, that will definitely help!

Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Try voltage at TEST POINTS?

Yeah, all my voltages are checking out good.

#9 8 years ago

Damn, so I do have continuity from the corresponding pin on the ASIC to U6. I'll go ahead and grab the logic probe and see what I can find.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

Oh, I hate it~! Anyways, here's where I'm at:

I've got another TOTAN here now so I'm able to switch boards around. The issue does lie with the power driver board as when I switched these boards from both machines, this TOTAN that I'm fixing now works 100%, flashers and solenoids. So my next question is, can anyone guide me through the exact components that the low power coils and flashers operate from? I'm looking through schematics I see online and find things like "it goes through a cap then a diode, etc," however, I'm looking for something more specific that would state "from J128 to D22 to D21 to C12, etc."

To further this, I see there is a chip, 74LS374, which is responsible for toggling the outputs which would control high and low power solenoids along with the flasher circuit. I can't tell if this is controlling all three of those or if there are three different LS374's which are each responsible for its own thing. Also, what I'm looking at doesn't specify which chip it is, meaning is it U2, U4, U4, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 119.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-low-power-solenoids-and-flashers-not-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.