Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by aeonblack
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.52.25 AM (resized).png
    snazzy.jpg
    #1 6 years ago

All J116 solenoids not working. Fuses are good. Is there a common connector or transistor for J116 that would cause them all to fail?

#2 6 years ago

- nothing works in test mode
    - reading 68V at test point and coil lug

#3 6 years ago

- all other coils work

#4 6 years ago

Turn the game off and do a continuity check from each coil on the strand and see if you have something as simple as a broken wire somewhere in the path.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Turn the game off and do a continuity check from each coil on the strand and see if you have something as simple as a broken wire somewhere in the path.

Interestingly connected to VIO - RED I get continuity on all J116 when disconnected, is that expected? I do have continuity to the connector from all solenoids.

#6 6 years ago

If you have continuity and voltage on all of the lugs then you don’t have a wiring issue. Next up would be to test the transistors on the driver board. See if you can get them to fire by grounding the tab of the transistors, but it’s strange that the whole connector is out.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for the help.
    The knocker works with this method but it's the only one.

#8 6 years ago

So, that indicates a wiring issue to me between the driver board and the solenoids. Get under that play field and look for a broken wire somewhere...Check solenoid to solenoid continuity. It's going to be something simple.

#9 6 years ago

Just an update. This is on my machine, puck has been helping me figure this out. We have verified continuity between solenoids, no visibly broken wires. We then disconnected every solenoid connector under the platfield and grounded them out one by one (to cause them to fire), then reconnected each solenoid and grounded again, one by one, and found no faults through any of them.

#10 6 years ago

So the question I have is what is the path to telling the Power Driver I/O board to fire a coil, and where could the fault be if the transistors test ok. Could this be a communication problem between the CPU board and the power driver I/O board? We replaced the ribbon cable between the PowerIO/CPU and same issue. Attempts to ground out by tapping the top of the transistor resulted in nothing firing.

Anyone have any thoughts or have a link/knowledge they can drop on how these coils communicate with the CPU?

#11 6 years ago

The transistor is downstream of the logic to fire the solenoid. If grounding the tab of the transistor does not cause the solenoid to fire, the issue is in the wiring either between the transistor and the pins, or the pins and the solenoids themselves.

Paging zaza

#12 6 years ago

I was able to test continuity from the pins to the transistors also from the pins to the solenoids themselves. I had no idea that the transistor was downstream of the logic, cool! Sill confused, but curious was zaza has to say! Thanks again @mschonbrun

#13 6 years ago

The logic tells the transistor to ground, which in turn activates the solenoids. I have a TOTAN too, so, happy to measure and compare things if you need. I haven't yet had to fix this specific problem, but, intellectually, it cannot be that many things. You have power at the coils, so the path to power is working. What doesn't seem to be working is the path to ground, but maybe I have that wrong. zaza is the man and I know he will have a snazzy diagram to help

#14 6 years ago

I'm not totally sure how you got (only) the knocker working by grounding the tab.
    solenoids #01-08 are driven by Tip36C transistors and tab is already ground,..unless you grounded the pre-driver for sol.#7 ?!

If a group of 8 solenoids don't work, the 1st check is always the fuse ( you already did and measured 68V on lugs.)
    Next is re-seat ribbon cable between powerdriver- and cpu-board, possible the chip enable for U7 has lost contact.
    And finally push the ASIC gently into socket, same here with a possible poor contact on chip enable U7-11.

I do recall a problem where the ground trace around the driver transitors had blown, so that's a bonus possibility.

not really picture needed but here you go.......
    snazzy.jpgsnazzy.jpg

#15 6 years ago

Oh, there you go, these are not TIP102s, so, yeah, grounding the tabs will not work. @zaza, how can we get these to fire to prove that the path from the driver board to the solenoids is intact?

Marc

#16 6 years ago

(But you can ground the pre-driver before the TIP36c, the TIP102s and that should energize the circuit.)

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

I'm not totally sure how you got (only) the knocker working by grounding the tab.
    solenoids #01-08 are driven by Tip36C transistors and tab is already ground,..unless you grounded the pre-driver for sol.#7 ?!
    If a group of 8 solenoids don't work, the 1st check is always the fuse ( you already did and measured 68V on lugs.)
    Next is re-seat ribbon cable between powerdriver- and cpu-board, possible the chip enable for U7 has lost contact.
    And finally push the ASIC gently into socket, same here with a possible poor contact on chip enable U7-11.
    I do recall a problem where the ground trace around the driver transitors had blown, so that's a bonus possibility.
    not really picture needed but here you go.......

• Re-seated and replaced the ribbon cable between boards - Check no change.
    • U7 - Interesting will check to see if it's still connected to the trace.
    • Didn't think to check the ASIC, but it did come up in conversation that it could be the problem. I'll give that a quick push.
    • Having 4 Fues blow I'll double check the ground trace around the driver transistors, but I did check the trace between them.

Wish I had a Williams test bench.

Thanks for the help guys.

General Questions for my learning.
    • With the chip enable, is there anyway I can quickly test this to ensure proper function?
    • All cables on J116 are connected is this expected? From what I can tell they are wired in a chain. How does the CPU tell individual solenoids to fire?

#18 6 years ago

Check out this chart:

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Williams_Tales_of_the_Arabian_Nights_Tech_Chart.pdf

You have wires for power, and you have wires for driving the coils. The drive wires are unique per solenoid, each with their own transistor, etc.

#19 6 years ago

That's what I thought! So the fact that I have continued from VIO - Red to all other VIO wires on J116 when disconnected at the board should be cause for concern?

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.52.25 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.52.25 AM (resized).png

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

(But you can ground the pre-driver before the TIP36c, the TIP102s and that should energize the circuit.)

correct, Q57-Q64 are pre-drivers for the big Tip36c transistors and can briefly be grounded at the tab to activate the coils.
    When they fire, the ground-path to the transistors is fine, and so is the fuse and 70V power to the coils.

Quoted from puck:

• All cables on J116 are connected is this expected? From what I can tell they are wired in a chain.

All coils are connected to each other on one side by the powersupply. The other side of the coils are driven by transistors.
    When you measure continuity, you will find a low resistance connection between coils attached to VIO-xx wire.

#21 6 years ago

Problem solved! I feel a bit silly at how simple of a solution it was, but that's how it goes sometimes in pinball.

The problem was that the connector on J210 (Power input on the cpu board) was not properly seating. This connector connects to J101 on the driver board and is daisy chained up to J606 on the av board. So, if my understanding is correct, the ASIC chips were not properly receiving power, and so they couldn't properly send the signal for the high power solenoids to fire.

My question is this: Is a single pin on J210 providing power specifically to legs on the ASIC which are dedicated to high power, which is in turn providing the signal to the driver board? Is it that linear? I have a lot of problems understanding the logic and signal path on boards, but if it is that simple and linear it certainly makes things a lot clearer for me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-j116-solenoids-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.