(Topic ID: 41796)

ATTENTION PLEASE! You say TOTAN sucks, then tell my why!!!!

By PinballMikeD

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0046.JPG
zen-pinball-Tesla_0006-1280px-50p.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I'm considering this for a PROC project. If you love TOTAN great, if you don't tell my why. Who knows your input might get incorporated if the project comes to fruition.

Based on the recent “TOP 10 Overrated Thread” it appears this is the machine that most folks voted for (including myself, although I own the machine). So, my question is this: What would you do differently if you could reprogram the game? You can’t change the playfield layout in any way, just the software. I can think of a few things, but I’m interested to see what you guys come up with.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The skill shot isn't pointless. It's awesome. It's a two stage skill shot. The first has to be made in order to qualify for the super which is the ramp.

This game does not suck. It's in the top 10. A few people might think its overrated but that doesn't equate to "it sucks". If it sucks so bad, why aren't they all for sale? Many people think Twilight Zone sucks.
TOTAN is a very unique game. It's the only one I know of that's truly a quest that can be completed and plays out as one. The game is hard until you figure it out.

Never said it sucks, hence the question mark in the title of the thread. My point is this, people complain about the game, so what would these folks like to see changed in the code. I did vote this machine as overrated, but I must have bought it for a reason

I've often thought about putting a PROC in my machine and playing around with the rule set. I wouldn't change the music or DMD animations, just tweak the code. That's why I'm interested to see what people think could be improved.

#30 11 years ago

I think everyone is in agreement that the jewels/modes shouldn't be collected via a wish. I'd liked to see more specific ideas for modes or other game features.

For example, I really like the cyclops MB idea listed above, was thinking something similar myself. My idea for that jewel/mode was to have a 2 ball MB in which you battle the cyclops (similar to the villains in Xmen); you'd collect stones by shooting the ramp and then have to throw the stones at the cyclops by hitting either captive ball. You'd have to make a certain amount of shots to both captive balls to complete the mode. You'd have a health meter that is based on a timer and the cyclops would have one that is diminished based on orb shots. You could collect more time via the pop bumpers or something like that. Once you time out the flippers go dead, you either beat the mode or you have to start all over.

You guys could also list more basic ideas as well. For example, how about spinning the lamp 15 times to lit modes at the genie? Then you have to make a ramp shot (collecting a fire ball) and shot the genie to start a mode within "x" amount of time. Then while the genie is holding the ball you can select which mode you want to play using the flipper buttons.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Just remember that if you put a P-ROC in, you have nothing. If you want the original game back, you have to write it from scratch. It's not like reverse engineering something where you're making small changes to something that exists; you have to write everything you want it to do.
Not that I would discourage that kind of effort, I had a blast doing CCC.

Yeah, I know it wouldn't be easy that's for sure. I just think it would be fun (at least at first). Your CC stuff, what I've seen anyway, is really cool. If/when I do a PROC I'll certainly have some questions for you.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

No not everyone. I'll disagree. I really like the strategy here. You can either go after the event genie by battling his modes or you can rub your lamp and collect the jewels that way. It fits the premise of the game perfectly.
The game is not too easy or anything. I have people over often and hardly ever does anyone rescue the princess. The ball times are short.

But you're usually so agreeable

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

the skill shot does not suck....actually Zen copied it for their Tesla game!.....actually they copy a lot of our stuff.....ToTan made $350-$450 a week on test for months....we tested with Kingpin....the Cyclops is from Greek and Roman mythology....Jpop

Hi John,

I actually like the game, wouldn't have purchased it and restored it otherwise.

pics here: http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=120

I just wanted to see what the critics would have done differently. I think it's save to say your machines are better than any of ours

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Your TOTAN is bananas -- it really lives up to the term "better than new" but why didn't you go all out and plate the shooting star cages?

I ran out of money after brass plating the lock nuts

3 weeks later
#72 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You got that right! Thread title should be changed.
I think it's overrated, but that most certainly doesn't mean that it sucks. If I thought that, it wouldn't be on my wish list.

I think you guys are missing the point of the question mark in the tread's title. I'm not saying TOTAN sucks; I'm asking a question. Yes, the thread's title is written in a way that grabs your attention when sifting through 100s of other threads - that's the point. Many people bitch about TOTAN, hence the title. Personally, I disagree. Hell, I own the machine and spent a small fortune restoring it. Anyway, I read posts all the time that say, "It's overrated" or "It's too easy."

So again, WHAT SOFTWARE CHANGES WOULD YOU MAKE TO IMPROVE THE GAME PLAY? If the answer is nothing then you must be one of the guys that voted this machine #1. I ask because this is an idea I've toyed around with, getting a PROC and experimenting. Thanks for the constructive input.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 119.99
$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-is-%e2%80%9coverrated-and-too-easy%e2%80%9d-so-how-would-you-have-programmed-it?tu=pinballmiked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.