(Topic ID: 41796)

ATTENTION PLEASE! You say TOTAN sucks, then tell my why!!!!

By PinballMikeD

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0046.JPG
zen-pinball-Tesla_0006-1280px-50p.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caucasian2step.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 11 years ago

I think some of the things that people don't like about the game need to be better thought out.

Personally, I believe that battle the Genie would be much better if it had a timer on it and rather than a two stage high scoring mode, set it up so that the timer could be extended with certain shots or sequences. Example. Hitting a captive ball could add 1 second to your timer. Hitting two captive balls in quick succession and then a ramp shot could add 3-5 seconds. When the timer zeros out... the balls drain and your battle score is added up. Bonus for reaching a certain amount of hits/score/extra seconds to stuff the genie in the bottle. Some of the modes are gimmes and need to be thought out better. 1 hit to the captive ball and the mode is pretty much done? (In Cartman-speak) Weak!

What this game REALLY needed was play testing. Most of JPop's games seem to be an exercise in mental masturbation (OOOooooooohhh... Don't you understand? I'm an ARTIST!) as compared to WCS when the great Larry DeMar was cleaning up shop with the design and ruleset that gave you well defined "goals" that were easy to understand, but rarely able to complete. When JPop works with Lyman or KJ, then you have my attention. Until then... I'm more than happy to beat Germany in the World Cup. As a side note... WCS '94 has been in either the A, B, C, Doubles or Juniors bank in the qualifiers PAPA nearly every single year since, well... 1994. It's a damn fine skills game.

Moral of the story is... A great designer needs a great programmer to make sure the rules of the game meet the craft of the rest of the design. Out of all of JPop's designs: CV (and I really like CV!), SW:ep1, ToM, TotAn and WCS. WCS is the only one that I'd consider a true player.

#42 11 years ago

It would probably be better to name this thread: Ideas to improve TotAn. Now I'll be the first to call myself critical of this deck. I will also be the first to admit that standing next to most DE/ Sega games of the same vintage, I'll choose to play TotAn.

To me she's (TotAn is) like the stunning, yet vapid cheerleader in high school. She looks great, behaves in strange ways that people can't explain, but because she's gorgeous... her behavior is tolerated. As you get to know her better, the way she acts becomes less and less tolerable, unless you just aren't that critical of her because she's hot. Eventually she loses her good looks as time marches on, raises a small army of cats, sleeps alone, and wonders why.

Moral of the story... Don't do dumb chicks or pinball games! Fortunately, there may be help for this pin-table... Calling mystery programmer!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caucasian2step.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-is-%e2%80%9coverrated-and-too-easy%e2%80%9d-so-how-would-you-have-programmed-it?tu=caucasian2step and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.