(Topic ID: 41796)

ATTENTION PLEASE! You say TOTAN sucks, then tell my why!!!!

By PinballMikeD

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0046.JPG
zen-pinball-Tesla_0006-1280px-50p.jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

the skill shot does not suck....actually Zen copied it for their Tesla game!.....actually they copy a lot of our stuff.....ToTan made $350-$450 a week on test for months....we tested with Kingpin....the Cyclops is from Greek and Roman mythology....Jpop

#52 11 years ago

zen-pinball-Tesla_0006-1280px-50p.jpgzen-pinball-Tesla_0006-1280px-50p.jpg

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

the skill shot does not suck....actually Zen copied it for their Tesla game!.....actually they copy a lot of our stuff.....ToTan made $350-$450 a week on test for months....we tested with Kingpin....the Cyclops is from Greek and Roman mythology....Jpop

Hi John,

I actually like the game, wouldn't have purchased it and restored it otherwise.

pics here: http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=120

I just wanted to see what the critics would have done differently. I think it's save to say your machines are better than any of ours

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

I agree...it ACTUALLY takes some skill to hit the right target unlike the "hit the flashing lane" skillshot that anyone can do with their eyes closed. Plus, there is the bonus "super skillshot" that was mentioned earlier.

#55 11 years ago

maybe the skill shot sucks a little bit...but I have seen worse!! Jpop

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

the skill shot does not suck....

Quoted from jpop:

Changed your mind in the span of 20 minutes? I kinda like it for the originality. It's not not as smooth as something like TZ, but it's really different than most others.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

wouldn't have purchased it and restored it otherwise

Your TOTAN is bananas -- it really lives up to the term "better than new" but why didn't you go all out and plate the shooting star cages?

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Your TOTAN is bananas -- it really lives up to the term "better than new" but why didn't you go all out and plate the shooting star cages?

I ran out of money after brass plating the lock nuts

#59 11 years ago

Yah this game does suck. If any of you guys that have one decide its so bad that you need to unload it for a fire sale price just to get it out of your gameroom, please let me know.

#60 11 years ago

5 ball set to hard with some minor rule adjustments. Its a fun game.
I rarely get to the genie battle.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

One of things I do like about totan is the two stage skill shot. The first good thing about it is that its not a button. Pinball should always have shooter rods. It combines the skill shot of a shooter (a controlled shot) with the skill shot of a push button shooter (hit this shot right after).

2 weeks later
#62 11 years ago

So is anyone going to tackle this and make some good changes?

#63 11 years ago

It doesn't suck. The ONLY change I would make would be that Wishes are fully random. You don't know what choices you are going to get. Sometimes wish a mode away shows up, sometimes it doesn't. All random luck of the draw. that's the only thing i'd change. Rest of the game is really awesome.

#64 11 years ago

And add a Super Jackpot shot!

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It doesn't suck. The ONLY change I would make would be that Wishes are fully random. You don't know what choices you are going to get. Sometimes wish a mode away shows up, sometimes it doesn't. All random luck of the draw. that's the only thing i'd change. Rest of the game is really awesome.

How about the obvious glitch where it makes more sense to *not* defeat the wizard mode in order to score way more points?

#66 11 years ago

Love TotAN. Would reduce Lightning Lamp points by about 50 percent.

What a great, great game. Theatrics really carry this one far.

#67 11 years ago

Change Harem multiball to Harlem multiball?

Quoted from S37VEN:

I really love the game as is - partly for nostalgic reasons but also because it is unique, straightforward and simply fun to play. Too bad it's getting bashed so much in the "overrated" thread. The use of the sitar in counting down the lamp spins at the end of each ball is in my opinion the best "end of ball" sequence out there -- as is the end of game animation after beating the genie.
But back on topic -- a couple things I would add:
1. Make Harem multiball easier to get (maybe two letters awarded when hitting the left orbit while in lightning lamp?) and add it as one of the Bazaar awards. I find it easier to beat the genie than to get Harem multiball.
2. Enable a setting to disable jewel wishes or require two/three wishes to get a jewel.
3. Require more than one hit (at least 5?) to the orbs before being able to collect the cyclops jewel.
4. Require more than hit (at least 10?) to the pops before being able to collect the sinbad jewel.
5. Successfully throw a fireball at the genie in order to light start tale.

#68 11 years ago

To address my change there is only one. Skill Shot is awesome. But I would get rid of the Skill Shot brackets.TOTAN is one of the best pinballs ever produced. The Music is awesome. The Art work on playfield and Translight are beautiful. The female voice that talks to you is sexy & great!! It has One of the best Ramps in pinball history Brilliantly designed. The Magic Lamp is another Hall of Fame playfield toy. The Shooting star ball save with the cage shooting up through the playfield is Epic. The Multi-ball is great. Shot the Blue Evil Genie(another great toy) to collect jackpot than shoot the Orbits to relight jackpot fantastic. Hitting the Orbs to avd. X via captive balls leads to some great strategy. Harem multi-ball is very rewarding when you can spell harem than lock ball to start. Tiger loops fast to adv. to extraball. Tales are fun working to collect all the jewels to get to save princess and wizard mode. Rubbing /spinning Magic lamp for wishes/ Lightning Lamp mode awesome. Three magnets.1. lock pinballs. 2. vertical hole top of ramp magnet to catch pinball to fight evil Genie. 3.the best magnet below Evil Genie catches ball and throws it around. Then catches pinball and pulls it under the playfield to start Multi-ball. Kick-Ass innovation !! Thanks John Popadiuk. Jr. Tales of the Arabian Nights is a Masterpiece.

100_0046.JPG100_0046.JPG

#70 11 years ago

You got that right! Thread title should be changed.

I think it's overrated, but that most certainly doesn't mean that it sucks. If I thought that, it wouldn't be on my wish list.

#71 11 years ago

I love my TOTAN. Out of all my machines, IJ and totan were the most popular last night during my pinball party.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You got that right! Thread title should be changed.
I think it's overrated, but that most certainly doesn't mean that it sucks. If I thought that, it wouldn't be on my wish list.

I think you guys are missing the point of the question mark in the tread's title. I'm not saying TOTAN sucks; I'm asking a question. Yes, the thread's title is written in a way that grabs your attention when sifting through 100s of other threads - that's the point. Many people bitch about TOTAN, hence the title. Personally, I disagree. Hell, I own the machine and spent a small fortune restoring it. Anyway, I read posts all the time that say, "It's overrated" or "It's too easy."

So again, WHAT SOFTWARE CHANGES WOULD YOU MAKE TO IMPROVE THE GAME PLAY? If the answer is nothing then you must be one of the guys that voted this machine #1. I ask because this is an idea I've toyed around with, getting a PROC and experimenting. Thanks for the constructive input.

#73 11 years ago

Great theme integration, unique playfield, great toy in the lamp, unique ball effects with the Genie magnet and the outlane cages, great sounds and art. Super all-around package.

I think a lot of people dump on it because they get to the wiz mode easier than on other games (by wishing away tale after tale) so they've "beaten" the game. ToTAN can be set up tough for shorter ball times which is necessary imo.

Only changes I'd make are software related. The final battle should be shots to the Genie, not the gold symbols, you should need to collect the ruby to light "collect jewel" on the wishes, otherwise random choices here as other have mentioned, and I'd toughen some of the tales by requiring a few more shots on some of them. Nonetheless, solid title by Jpop and a 90's classic, as is proven by the price it commands.

#74 11 years ago

I'll tell you why it SUCKS!
Better yet I'll show you!

Check this out:

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I'll tell you why it SUCKS!
Better yet I'll show you!
Check this out:
» YouTube video

That could probably be solved by making the leaf switch gap larger so the pop bumper is less sensitive.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That could probably be solved by making the leaf switch gap larger so the pop bumper is less sensitive.

Not my machine just posted it for a laugh!
But thanks for the info. I now what to do when it happens to me.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How about the obvious glitch where it makes more sense to *not* defeat the wizard mode in order to score way more points?

How do you score more by not beating it?

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

YOu shoot for the Harem and keep building the bonus.

My problem is in Wizard mode two balls keep getting jammed in the shooter lane and I lose my game : (

#79 11 years ago

From what I understand the main problem is that Harem scoring is imbalanced making the best strategy to be nothing but shooting Harem all day.

It's an enjoyable and fun pin to play if you ignore that ie aren't playing in a tournament

#80 11 years ago

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:My problem is in Wizard mode two balls keep getting jammed in the shooter lane and I lose my game

This is an issue that I had as well. My Plunger spring over all these years seemed to get weak. Install a stiffer Plunger spring. All I had was a spring colored RED. It fixed the issue. I still can not beat the Evil Genie. Due to game set on hard. Note: If you install a Red Plunger Spring you need to snip off a few coils of the spring. Otherwise It will launch pinball so hard that it hit the Playfield glass. As I stated Red spring was all I had on hand at the time. Good luck!!

#81 11 years ago

The Harem exploit is different than the "don't beat the Genie" exploit. When you are in the wizard mode and start to get close to beating the Genie, drain a couple balls on purpose, sending the Princess back toward the Genie. Don't win, but don't lose. You get wizard mode points the whole time, and there is no risk of ending your game since it's an infinite multiball. Ask DCFAN how well this works.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

To address my change there is only one. Skill Shot is awesome. But I would get rid of the Skill Shot brackets.TOTAN is one of the best pinballs ever produced. The Music is awesome. The Art work on playfield and Translight are beautiful. The female voice that talks to you is sexy & great!! It has One of the best Ramps in pinball history Brilliantly designed. The Magic Lamp is another Hall of Fame playfield toy. The Shooting star ball save with the cage shooting up through the playfield is Epic. The Multi-ball is great. Shot the Blue Evil Genie(another great toy) to collect jackpot than shoot the Orbits to relight jackpot fantastic. Hitting the Orbs to avd. X via captive balls leads to some great strategy. Harem multi-ball is very rewarding when you can spell harem than lock ball to start. Tiger loops fast to adv. to extraball. Tales are fun working to collect all the jewels to get to save princess and wizard mode. Rubbing /spinning Magic lamp for wishes/ Lightning Lamp mode awesome. Three magnets.1. lock pinballs. 2. vertical hole top of ramp magnet to catch pinball to fight evil Genie. 3.the best magnet below Evil Genie catches ball and throws it around. Then catches pinball and pulls it under the playfield to start Multi-ball. Kick-Ass innovation !! Thanks John Popadiuk. Jr. Tales of the Arabian Nights is a Masterpiece.

The ramp is very pretty but IMO it's a terrible design. On route, the moment the flippers get even a teeny bit weak, the collect jewel shot becomes impossible and you can't progress through the modes. And since they brilliantly made modes carry over from ball to ball you can't even purposely end the ball to get it out of the way.

To make it worse, you can't stack modes, or start another after one is begun.

The end game has some bad bugs.

Obviously not issues for collectors, but I typically avoid this game if I see it on location.

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

Totan's reminds me of the one in DE Hook.

#84 11 years ago

For me TOTAN is like the other Popaduik games. Strikingly beautiful, original, unique and cool looking inside and out. When I first saw it years ago I fell in love with the looks, playfield toys and the sounds immediately. After several games I just lost interest. Not a bad game by any means, but the game play is not in the same ballpark as the A-list Sterns and WMS DMD games. Many, many times over the years I have returned and tried to see what others see in this game (ToM, CV, WCS too) but I just don't.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

For me TOTAN is like the other Popaduik games. Strikingly beautiful, original, unique and cool looking inside and out. When I first saw it years ago I fell in love with the looks, playfield toys and the sounds immediately. After several games I just lost interest. Not a bad game by any means, but the game play is not in the same ballpark as the A-list Sterns and WMS DMD games. Many, many times over the years I have returned and tried to see what others see in this game (ToM, CV, WCS too) but I just don't.

WRT Totan, I agree, but all the rest are pretty fun to play. WCS is easily the best to me, and it's very affordable, so I bought one.

#86 11 years ago

These threads are lame.

To each his own some hate it some hate AFM and MM.

Its in the top 10 and to those who think its to easy set it very very hard and 3 balls and wack away.

It like music its all preference.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The Harem exploit is different than the "don't beat the Genie" exploit. When you are in the wizard mode and start to get close to beating the Genie, drain a couple balls on purpose, sending the Princess back toward the Genie. Don't win, but don't lose. You get wizard mode points the whole time, and there is no risk of ending your game since it's an infinite multiball. Ask DCFAN how well this works.

So the strategy isn't to lose. It's to drag it on as long as possible? You get. 20 mil once you finally beat the game so it seems to be beneficial to beat it.

#88 11 years ago

Correct. You want to win, but not quickly.

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Correct. You want to win, but not quickly.

So you are saying you want to do it, but keep prolonging the ending...

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

So you are saying you want to do it, but keep prolonging the ending...

Only Stern is allowed to have prolonged games

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Only Stern is allowed to have prolonged games

What's that song lyric again? "Like STTNG I'm tantric..."

#92 11 years ago

I'd rather play "Hook"

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I should have said by not beating it quickly. You want to play it as long as you can. Herg nailed it.

Quoted from herg:

CV has the same issue with Ringmaster Battle. Keep two or three of the inserts lit, but don't defeat the Ringmaster, but don't let him defeat you. In other words, when you take a lot of his strength, stop hitting him for awhile to let him regain strength. Keep going to score huge points.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I should have said by not beating it quickly

That might leave chafing.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That might leave chafing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 36.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-is-%e2%80%9coverrated-and-too-easy%e2%80%9d-so-how-would-you-have-programmed-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.