Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by taz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've read all the posts. Has anyone found the perfect fix for this magnet. I really want it to fling it around like my ringmaster in CV. My friend just shopped it and put Mylar on the magnet area. thinking it might be more slick. I have also changed to the 1.4 rom, and tried all the settings. Alas still right down the middle.

any ideas. Take Mylar off? New Magnet? Any other ideas? Could the pitch of the game be the problem. I have pitched this at between 6.5 and 7.

Any help is great.
Thanks
Magicchiz

#2 8 years ago

Chiz,
The Magnets twitchy-ness in CV is in the code - pretty sure you can't do anything on TOTAN to change how the Magnet is activated / pulsed.

We have a TOTAN & CV, if you figure out how to add that to TOTAN let me know.

Wished I had better news.

#3 8 years ago

I just want my TOTAN to just toss it a little. Mine just releases and right down the middle it goes.
Magicchiz

#4 8 years ago

Mine tosses it most the time. Occassionally just drops it. Even then it's usually hittable

#5 8 years ago

Check if you have the right code. One of the later code changes addressed the magnet toss.

#6 8 years ago

Yes i upgraded to 1.4
still no throw.
magicchiz

#7 8 years ago

Bump There has to be some more info on this? Come on guys! Does everyone elses TOTAN work correctly?
magicchiz

#8 8 years ago

mine works... sorry

#9 8 years ago

More info you say? Here is everything I know, which may or may not help:

My Totan's Genie magnet throw is inconsistent, and has been since I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. At the time I bought it, I did some reasearch, and someone, somewhere (maybe RGP) brought up an issue that can affect the Genie throw, and that is that there may be a divot worn in the magnetic post. When the magnet activates, it pulls the ball to a pretty consistent position on the top of the magnetic post, and a divot can eventually wear into that spot. The reasoning of the person that posted this info, is that the divot can help hold the ball when the magnet is trying to throw it. Makes sense. Is there a noticible divot in your magnetic post?

My post has a little bit of a divot. This may be contributing to my Genie's magnet throw inconsistency. I haven't even tried to remove, re-machine, or replace the magnet post at this point, as it sounds like a hassle, and I've got too many other pin projects always going on.

The other thing someone mentioned is the latest ROM, and its ability to change the strength of the magent throw. I bought this. I was disappointed to open up the adjustment menu and see that the magnet strength was adjustable to 1, 2, and 3 (from what I remember). Okay... why not low, medium, and high???? Is 1 low, or is 1 high??? I can't tell you, and I don't think anyone has ever been able to tell me for sure. I don't notice hardly any difference in the 1, 2, or 3 settings. Maybe this is due to the divot in my magnetic post. I don't know...

I wish you luck.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I think Im going to try to make a little hot glue button, after it cools transfer it to the magnet and cover it with mylar to hold it in place. then see what happens. I agree, got the new rom and do not see a difference in 1, 2, or 3.
Thanks for the info.
magicchiz

#11 8 years ago

pantor80. What pitch is your machine and are you running the new rom?
Magicchiz

#12 8 years ago

Ok so I took the mylar off the genie magnet that my friend had put on. WOW everything works now. It pulses and throws the ball. Set it to 1 and everything is working. I guess it needs the metal to metal contact.
Thanks
Magicchiz

#13 8 years ago

Glad that helped, my totan was terrible, upgraded the firmware to 1.4 and it almost never went down the middle, flung it around like a champ. Must have been the mylar.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Ok so I took the mylar off the genie magnet that my friend had put on. WOW everything works now. It pulses and throws the ball. Set it to 1 and everything is working. I guess it needs the metal to metal contact.
Thanks
Magicchiz

I'm glad to hear this, because I've been in the same boat. I upgraded to the latest ROM and no change. Now, I know to where to look. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
13,000 (Firm)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
13,000 (Firm)
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-genie-magnet-throw-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.