Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by dvandentop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So flippers were working. I opened the coindoor to check the solenoids. Entered test mode while holding the high voltage switches down. All solenoids tested fine. Exited test mode started a game and no flippers. WTF? Coindoor is closed high voltage switches are closed, solenoids work.

I tested all fuses, they are good. Coils have 70v left and right coils. Shorted the ground lug and flippers both worked, but flipped up slowly. Also noticed that LED 105 I think is a little dim.

Flipper opto button switches also test fine in test mode.

So good switches, and good voltage. What's wrong????

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#3 11 years ago

Yes all opto switches test fine.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

First off, your test of shorting the ground lug probably only tested hold power not high power which is why the flippers raised slowly.

So if you go back into the solenoid test and test your flipper solenoids there, do they fire? Do any of your other solenoids work? I'd start there.

Also, the flipper optos are odd. If one side is unhooked then both sides stop working. In flipper test, you get 4 buttons for each flipper press? (Upper right + right, upper left + left)?

Sorry missed question number 2.
In solenoid test the flippers do not work.

In flipper test I get 2 switches closed for each flipper for a total of 4 closed if I press both at the same time.

#6 11 years ago

Let me get this straight.

You opened coin door and held in high power interlock switch and things
worked ?

You released coin door high power interlock switch and closed coin door and
things didn't work ?

If so - bend the flap over to be sure it is closing the high power interlock
switch enough. And be sure the door harness isn't between the switches and
flap.

LTG

#7 11 years ago

Sorry initially things worked. Then when I closed the door and played a game flippers stopped and haven't worked again.

#8 11 years ago

Lloyd, he said in the first post that all the other solenoids still worked and he has 70VDC at the flipper coils, so it's not a high power interlock issue.

As for slow flipper raise, the flipper coils have two windings in parallel and so two ground points. If you grounded the lug at the non-banded side of the single diode, that's low power hold. To test high power, you'd have to ground the lug that has the junction of the non-banded and banded diodes.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Lloyd, he said in the first post that all the other solenoids still worked and he has 70VDC at the flipper coils, so it's not a high power interlock issue.

Only take seconds to hold that interlock in with a finger and try flippers.

He didn't say what position coin door or interlock switch was in when he gets 70 volts.

And that switch can do funny things when not fully compressed.

You may be right, but I like to keep ruling things out.

LTG

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You may be right, but I like to keep ruling things out.
LTG

Agreed

Just for clarification:

The Flipper Opto board is working because you see the switches register in test mode?

The 70V was measured at the coils with the coin door closed?

All the other high powered solenoids (not just low powered) work with the coin door closed?

If all of the above are true, try powering off and reseating the cables (as taken from Clay's guide):

Re-seat the ribbon cables going from the CPU board to the Fliptronics board (be careful to not mis-install the ribbon cable). Some flipper confusion can be caused by these ribbon cable going from the CPU board to the Fliptronics board, and reseating the ribbon cable often clears this problem.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

All the other high powered solenoids (not just low powered) work with the coin door closed?

Flashers too. Those guys are the ones that usually stop if the switch isn't fully depressed.

LTG

#13 11 years ago

Ok Reseated all the cpu board cables, and ribbon cables. Bypassed the interlock switch, and then while testing the coil lug on the flippers blew fuse 116. Replaced that, and retested, and guess what... Flippers work now.

Not sure which of the above got it working. Thanks for all your help guys

#14 11 years ago

If the problem returns, then I'd go with Robertmee's post.

Flaky ribbon cable. Between CPU and Power Driver board. Flippers are powered off that board, no Fliptronics board in a TOTAN. Reseat again or replace it.

LTG

#15 11 years ago

Just a point of information, it's a very good habit to use a 500 Ohm - 1K resistor inline with your cable when using a jumper to ground. Most of the time you can get away with not doing this, but sometimes you will get very unwanted results. Especially if a diode is shorted.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Ok Reseated all the cpu board cables, and ribbon cables. Bypassed the interlock switch, and then while testing the coil lug on the flippers blew fuse 116. Replaced that, and retested, and guess what... Flippers work now.
Not sure which of the above got it working. Thanks for all your help guys

nice think i had same issue with my totan was a PITA to track down

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 119.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-flippers-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.