• Theatre of Magic 47 votes
    24%
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights 66 votes
    34%
  • Cirqus Voltaire 83 votes
    42%

(196 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image1.JPG

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Next game I purchase will be one of these 3 JPOP titles. There are things that I love about all three. Curious to see what everyone else would buy out of the three.

#2 4 years ago

Had aTOM and enjoyed it. Did get tired of hitting the trunk but still super fun. Now own a CV. Same argument can be said about always hitting the ringmaster. Such a cool, quirky game though. All of my guests love JPOP pins. Also owned a WCS94 and thought it was fun and I'm not even. Soccer fan. He makes good games. Have played TOTAN but not enough to have an opinion. You'll enjoy either of them.

#3 4 years ago

I own all 3 and I would say for sure TOTAN all the way then would be TOM next :-)hope this helps

#4 4 years ago

owned them all.
totan is probably my least favorite WPC.
ToM is nice, but gets old kinda fast.
CV is the best of the 3 with the home rom. decent shots, great music and color if you like the theme. ringmaster is annoying to me though. and the guy with the lisp. ugh.

#5 4 years ago

1. CV
2. TOTAN
3. TOM

I've owned CV and TOTAN both for a very long time.

#6 4 years ago

Own CV and TOTAN. I like CV's play better. TOTAN is a beauty of a game and the gameplay ain't deep but it's not terrible.

TOM is all trunk and almost everyone I've played has issues with the trunk. It's put me off of ever buying it

#7 4 years ago

I've played them all but only owned CV, which is my personal choice of the three. The artwork, neon ramp, DMD in the back of the playfield (if only they could fit a COLORDMD in there!), ability to stack multi-balls, fun wizard modes and shot map had me hooked the first time I played it. I love the way TOTAN looks and sounds but I have never been able to get into any flow on the game (most of the ones I played were on route with lousy lamp action). TOM has some great toys and modes too but for reasons I've never been able to pinpoint I don't like it as much as the other two JPOPs. For certain I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three!

#8 4 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire all the way for me.

#9 4 years ago

just picked up a CV...super stoked about it....beautiful game

#10 4 years ago

I've owned CV and TOM. I would never buy TOM again, possibly CV (but unlikely).

Edit: here's a thread I started a long time ago, but there is probably some good info in there that may be of interest in your case:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-jpops-best-game

#11 4 years ago

All three so I can play them

#12 4 years ago

CV easily. Best layout and best rules of the three by far.

#13 4 years ago

all comes down to price. I would refrain from TOM as it is very uneventful and gets boring. Sucks because it looks so nice.

CV is the best out of the litter, but if price is too high, i'd no on all 3.

#14 4 years ago

We are lucky-spoiled.. We have a friend's Tom and Totan in our house right now.

And just played 2 CV's near St. Louis

Get the CV. Hard to find in the wild and tons of fun.... OR

As always get the one or ones your friends don't at the time..

Or the pin that is harder to find in above average condition. Price. Area. etc.

NT>

#15 4 years ago

We've owned all three and CV is the only one still here. It's the only one with lasting power - both TOTAN and ToM get old fast. CV will never leave.

#16 4 years ago

I feel the need to speak on behalf of TOTAN - superior artwork, a beautiful light show, the best musical score in pinball and a well-balanced play field requiring a diverse set of skills. Some say it's too easy to beat, but I always enjoy the journey and appreciate that it tells an interesting story with a variety of characters. There are few shots more satisfying than getting two letters in SESAME by ricocheting off the left targets and hitting the right targets.

TOM is fun, but I find CV's sound package cloying. The flipper gap is a mile wide and the artwork is too gaudy for my taste. Get a TOTAN and install a Color DMD.

#17 4 years ago

My last Vegas trip says it all...

image1.JPG
#18 4 years ago

CV is the best in my eyes.

#19 4 years ago

I'm a little surprised by the majority so far. I was heavily leaning towards CV to begin with as I like the unique layout and artwork but I expected TOTAN to be the crowd favorite. Maybe things will level out but it's little odd that the lowest rated is the most recommended so far.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

All three so I can play them

Yes, we would have plenty of time to play them. I would be either living in your basement or in a single wide playing JPOP games in between talking to a divorce lawyer.

#21 4 years ago

CV is my favorite and the only one of these 3 that I own. I fell in love with it and had to have one the first time I saw one, but it also tends to be a more polarizing game and there are definitely some people that really don't like it. Your decision on which to buy should be based on your own experience with these games.

#22 4 years ago

As I said I own all 3 and cv is fun at first but over time it's the same thing but TOTAN and Tom I seem too always go back too them for more ,TOTAN is first then TOM ,still have them and still playing them both ,sold my CV

#23 4 years ago

Another vote for CV here. I played it non-stop last Spring went I went up to the Ann Arbor pinball show, and just had to get one. Traded my modded Tron Pro to get a nice prototype CV, and don't regret it one bit. So many cool things going on with the game, as others have mentioned.

TOTAN would be my next choice; TOM does nothing for me, although it is a beauty!

#24 4 years ago

I have 2 of those titles and have also played a few TOM'S my opinion is they are all nice but CV is probably the deepest and most long term fun it keeps me coming back for more

#25 4 years ago

CV has the best rule set of the 3...great wizard mode. Art is great/quirky, but can get old...
TOTAN the best art package, ramps, and theme integration.
TOM is meh.

I owned CV for 1-2 years and TOM for 6 months.

I still own TOTAN. A nice pin to fire up when you don't feel like getting your butt kicked. On the easier side. From my perspective, it's the most collectable of the 3...hard to find in awesome condition.

#26 4 years ago

No love for WCS94? I think that is JPOP's best game and by far the cheapest. Of the three you listed, I would go with CV.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm a little surprised by the majority so far. I was heavily leaning towards CV to begin with as I like the unique layout and artwork but I expected TOTAN to be the crowd favorite. Maybe things will level out but it's little odd that the lowest rated is the most recommended so far.

They are all top 20 pins. Not much difference in the ratings. I had room for one more pin in my small collection and I bought a CV. You'll have to see what you can find in good condition at a reasonable price. You can always sell/trade it later.

#28 4 years ago

Like all three but seems like I'm in the minority never being a huge fan of ToM. I love TOTAN the most due to all the reasons above: lighting, the general appearance, the sounds, and the simple game play. It's an easier game, but I prefer that at times. CV will be in my collection at some point.

My personal rating of the three
1. TOTAN
2. CV
3. ToM

#29 4 years ago

Buy CV for the "sneaky lock" DMD animation.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I feel the need to speak on behalf of TOTAN - superior artwork, a beautiful light show, the best musical score in pinball and a well-balanced play field requiring a diverse set of skills. Some say it's too easy to beat, but I always enjoy the journey and appreciate that it tells an interesting story with a variety of characters. There are few shots more satisfying than getting two letters in SESAME by ricocheting off the left targets and hitting the right targets.
TOM is fun, but I find CV's sound package cloying. The flipper gap is a mile wide and the artwork is too gaudy for my taste. Get a TOTAN and install a Color DMD.

I was hovering over the Thumbs Up button until I read your final paragraph. Otherwise I agree with your TOTAN assessment. But for me, it still belongs in second place behind CV.

#31 4 years ago

CV because it the rarest and probably the hardest to reach Wizard mode and holds my interest longer.
Toughest game to play of the three IMO. May be hard to find a TOTAN or CV however and seems like more TOM's come up to purchase. So I usually buy what I find first then look for the next. Better to have one of the three to play rather then waiting months to find that TOTAN and at a fair price.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Flipper gap? Really? I own CV, FT, and CFTBL. If I want a game with a wide flipper gap, the latter two deliver. I don't drain down the middle much in CV unless I make a mistake, like hitting the post on the ramp or looping through the SPIN too fast.

#33 4 years ago

i would say CV, the other 2 just don't really keep me interested

#34 4 years ago

CV !

#35 4 years ago

WCS94 is the best Jpop title.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

I have heard this many times. I know people who owned all JPOP titles and the only one they still own is WCS.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

Quoted from Syco54645:

I have heard this many times. I know people who owned all JPOP titles and the only one they still own is WCS.

I love it also. But if I were to rank it in the context of this tread, I would place it in the #3 position behind CV and TOTAN and bump TOM to #4.

Just an opinion.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Buy CV for the "sneaky lock" DMD animation.

the ball running across the screen with no pants on does make me smile every time I see it.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the ball running across the screen with no pants on does make me smile every time I see it.

love the music that they coupled with it as well

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I love it also. But if I were to rank it in the context of this tread, I would place it in the #3 position behind CV and TOTAN and bump TOM to #4.
Just an opinion.

I heard both TOTAN and CV get old after owning them. Having said that I do not own them and would very much like to.

#41 4 years ago

Totan definitely gets old. Especially when you can exploit the lamp and get to the wizard mode in like 5 minutes. Great game though and I loved owning it but don't miss it now that it is gone. A 2.0 code update/revision would put it back in my collection.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

Flipper gap? Really? I own CV, FT, and CFTBL. If I want a game with a wide flipper gap, the latter two deliver. I don't drain down the middle much in CV unless I make a mistake, like hitting the post on the ramp or looping through the SPIN too fast.

The CV at my local arcade must be an anomaly.

The thing I appreciate about all three titles is that they each have an asymetrical play field and unique targets, rather than the standard fan layout found on so many top-tier games like MM and AC/DC . TOM has the fun inner and outer loops, CV has crazy ramp action and ball cage and TOTAN's use of magnets, bash toys and skill shot put them all above many other A-list machines in my estimation. Honestly, jgentry, you'll have a great time with any of them.

#43 4 years ago

I enjoy playing all 3 games but wouldn't want to own any of them. Just not enough depth/challenge to keep me coming back long term. Of the 3 CV has the best software and it's really a beautiful game but I know I'd get sick of it quickly as the shot selection is very limited. Wish there was a way to disable Rooney and Copycat as well.

#44 4 years ago

Owned ToM for 6 years, it's still here. I sold TOTAN after a few months. The genie gets annoying REALLY fast, otherwise it is gorgeous. CV is great too, have yet to pick one up.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Whole thing just boils down to personal preference.

Exactly. A buddy and I both really liked playing ToM and TOTAN at a local arcade back in the late '90s when they were new. I later sought out a ToM prototype for my collection, while my buddy bought (and minted out) a TOTAN for his. Neither of us would ever want CV. Not a fan of the Ringmaster at all.

#47 4 years ago

Totaly agree. Ive had all 3. Kept CV and TOTAN
CV
Totan
Tom

#49 4 years ago

Just played a game and came up with another reason to go with CV: Neon Multiball!!!!

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

CV is my favorite and the only one of these 3 that I own. I fell in love with it and had to have one the first time I saw one, but it also tends to be a more polarizing game and there are definitely some people that really don't like it. Your decision on which to buy should be based on your own experience with these games.

I agree. Along with WOZ it seems CV is one of the most polarizing pins ever created and to me it's just masterful in almost every way. The theme is not super macho so it gets shit on by some collectors I guess. That CV is not ranked in the top 10 on pinside is amazing to me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside