B4715AC8-F306-4AAA-B8D7-46C9433657BF (resized).jpeg
20240303_174324 (resized).jpg
totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deegor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2213 2 years ago

Just finished up my TOTAN restore.

My original intent was to get the armor brass plated, but Chris @ pinballplating.com was out of most items, so I grabbed what I could and opted to go the powder coating route instead. Most gold / brass powder coat looks nothing like brass plating, so I went with a color called Grecian Gold Vein. It looks similar to the powder coat on the Hobbit, but a little lighter in color.

For the decals I went with Radcals, because I loved the ones I got for my Indiana Jones restoration. Unfortunately the color on these decals are not nearly as nice. The black seems to be too light in color. I noticed it when I was putting the decals on, but figured it was the protective film. When I pulled the film off, I noticed the color didn't change much. I'm still deciding whether I want to redo the decals, but for now I'll just live with it. If you're planning on doing new decals, I would recommend using something else.

The original playfield was in decent condition, but a previous owner put a giant screw through the playfield near the center, and it was a real eyesore, so I decided to go with CPR reproduction playfield and gave the old one to a friend for some wall art. The CPR playfield was pretty nice, except the dimples on the bottom of the playfield were worthless. I think maybe 4 or 5 dimples ended up being accurate. The others were WAY off. Luckily the topside holes were mostly accurate.

Overall, I really like how it turned out, minus the RadCals.

01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg
02 (resized).jpg02 (resized).jpg
03 (resized).jpg03 (resized).jpg
04 (resized).jpg04 (resized).jpg
05 (resized).jpg05 (resized).jpg
06 (resized).jpg06 (resized).jpg
07 (resized).jpg07 (resized).jpg
08 (resized).jpg08 (resized).jpg
09 (resized).jpg09 (resized).jpg

#2216 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

How did you refinish the apron?

The previous owner installed the apron. I'm not sure where he purchased it from.

9 months later
#2421 1 year ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Currently shopping out my playfield. The inserts are all in LED, but the GI is not (yet).
The GI has a lot of dimming during gameplay, I imagine that would be a problem if I replace the bulbs with LEDs?
Is a LED OCD board a must on this game?
Thanks![quoted image]

I have both LED OCD and GI OCD board in my game. The GI OCD board is a must because of the dimming. Otherwise, you'll get this nasty strobing effect.

3 months later
#2461 1 year ago

Anyone know of a good source for color accurate TOTAN decals?

1 year later
#2647 85 days ago
Quoted from radix:

What color is the cabinet art supposed to be? Are the genie and the palm tree supposed to be blue or a teal/green color? I have a ToTAN and the cabinet art is in great shape but the reds and yellows are faded. I ordered a set of RAD CALS from Micro Steffen and was shocked when I opened them to see the palm trees and genie are a teal green color. It's very noticeably different. I have an original advertising flyer for ToTAN and the cabinet art very much looks blue to me but as I scroll through the pictures for this thread you see both teal and blue ones.
Example green machines
Somewhat green
Very green
Example blue machines
Blue 1
Blue 2
Example blue for sale
Pinball Decals EU
ebay.com link: itm
Example green for sale
Ministry of pinball
PinballPT

I believe the genie should be more blue. I picked up a set of RadCals for this title as well, and I hate the way they look. The black background is more of a brown and the genie color is off too. I hate it so much, that I will be removing them and replacing them with decals from outside edge. They have a glitter option, but I went with the original look.

https://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/store/p78/Pinball_Cabinet_Decals.html

arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).pngarabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png

Here is a comparison of the outside edge black color vs the RadCals.

20230731_200214 (resized).jpg20230731_200214 (resized).jpg

#2651 85 days ago
Quoted from radix:

Do we take that to mean the green products are not accurate to original?

Sounds like it.

Quoted from PPA-AG:

disappointing to see the RadCals. I have them on IJ and they look great but I can understand your frustration and unfortunately would probably do the same.
Are you happy with the ones from Outside Edge? I was thinking my next purchase for decals was going to be from Pinball Decals.eu but don't have any experience with either.

I have RadCals on my Indiana Jones and they look great on there. This is why I went with them on TOTAN, but those ended up being garbage. That always seems to be the case with Mirco products. You roll the dice.

The Outside Edge decals look good so far, but I haven't applied them yet. I'm waiting for the weather the get warmer, so I can properly prep the cabinet. I'll report back after I get them applied.

#2653 85 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I installed Radcals 3 years ago. I was happy with the result. The color was slightly different, but I think mine are even different from the recent version depicted above. So over time, they could be closer or further from the original, depending on when they are printed. Certainly, we see color variations in decals too, depending on manufacturer.
[quoted image]

It's great that you like the way yours looks. I just wish the colors on the RadCals looked more like this. Where the background is a true black and not brown like the RadCals are.

totan (resized).jpgtotan (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 37.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deegor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club?tu=deegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.