B4715AC8-F306-4AAA-B8D7-46C9433657BF (resized).jpeg
20240303_174324 (resized).jpg
totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#670 7 years ago

Just to chime in - taking my knowledge of other games (Sorry, guys, I'm not a ToTAN fan.. the theme didn't catch my attention back when I was in the operating business, and I don't know anyone now that has one to play near me! ) Ericpinballfan is correct on why it's there - PFs are ordered in batches, so.. when something goes unused, it's just left there without anything mounted in, until files are updated and the next batch is ordered.

Now normally, you could look at the switch table and see where it could fir into the matrix. However, looking at the manual, apparently there are two whole columns unused.

How I found out what the missing switches did in WCS, I loaded up Mame and manually activated the switches, watching what the screen did. However, since the entire columns are unused, it's possible that production ROM versions just skip scanning that column altogether (saves unnecessary scanning time, and gives faster response for all the other switches..) So it's possible that nothing will happen.

Probably would be better if someone had a preliminary ROM (P-xx or 0.x) around, as that may still have more code and scan the column neeed that contains the switch.

Anyways, that'd be what I would try, and my thoughts on it off-hand. Again, I don't know a *thing* about this game, so I could be so far off-base that I'll get ex-communicated.

Having said that, I will keep an eye on the thread now, as I too would be curious if it does anything in-game..!

Edit to add: It's possible that literally all it does is score a little bit of points, and maybe a sound-effect for the ball going up that loop. Since this one switch would have been taking up an entire column, take off the switch and stop scanning the column - maybe had better benefits to the rest of the game, like being able to watch the spinning lamp more quickly..?

#672 7 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

Interesting, I know in my game there are several plugs at the top of the PF that aren't used and are just hanging there. I wonder if they align to anything in the manual and will check it when I get home next week.

I just upgraded my ROMs as the machine was bone stock and was the ROM was one of the earliest ones from what I remember. If it turns out to be the one needed for scanning, I'm more than happy to donate to someone that can read it and scan the column.

I noticed that IPDB has v0.4 listed. I downloaded it and quickly tried it out. That version already has the 7th & 8th columns deactivated; they don't do anything.

So, this means that we would need an earlier version. (If you have one, fantastic!) It ALSO means that no matter what, adding a switch won't do anything in anyone's game, unless they're running an earlier release than 0.4. But, if an earlier version is out there, we can at lease see what it does..

1 month later
#804 6 years ago

That's a diode. A 1N4004 should do just fine there.

2 months later
#993 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

How come I never saw this animation on my game???
» YouTube video

My guess is that it's a flipper code entry. And you've never entered it in.

#996 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Then the million dollar question would be: what's that flipper code?

http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/Cows&Easter.htm#T

All spelled out there. Have fun.

4 months later
#1081 6 years ago

That's gorgeous. IMHO, leave the coin door black - if IT'S gold as well, I think it will draw the eye away from the lockdown bar / side rails.

2 years later
#1656 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

thanks, question: does it matter if it's "fast blow" T4.0A vs."time delay"? i just looked and the ones i ordered are "fast blow". thanks again

Yes, it matters. The short and sweet - Fast Blow will pop/blow/open a LOT sooner when current gets to the fuses' rated value. Time-Delay will not. Likely, if you're using these on coil circuits, the fast-blow will open after a few coils fire, because the current draw is a lot higher when power is initially given to the coil.

#1661 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I agree. this is, however, a G.I. circuit I believe, and wouldn't using LEDs make the current draw way less than incandescents, thus reducing the issue? Just curious...

Yup, that will affect it by far! In that case, a fast-blo should be fine. Or, at least, last a little longer.

5 months later
#1749 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

I show 73v & 72.5v respectively on each lead when running the #21 solenoid test

You should see the driver side of the coil (thinner wire) drop to ground in regular intervals when on the test and it is set to repeat. The power side of the coil (thicker wires) should not change, and should be constant voltage.

If you are getting no pulse, something is bad between coil and driver. (Transistor, broken wore, etc.

Considering the previous coil burnt, likely your driver locked on and shorted itself ded.

#1760 3 years ago

Thanks Coyote. Yeah I just hit me you’re right, it should be pulsing. Darn it. Ok so I’ll have to test it directly on the board. J111-5 (BLUE-GREEN) appears to be the #21 solenoid drive. I also see there is a J111-12 (RED-ORANGE) tieback diode first #21 which loops through that connector.
Assumption is J111-5 should be pulsing. I guess I could test the others and see what the pulse it

Yup, good luck. I would not be surprised if you lost the driving transistor in the end.

#1774 3 years ago

coyote so now I’m thinking it’s the coil now. So I wanted to test the board directly (pin J111-5 BLUE-GREEN and pin J133-2 RED-BRN) with the connectors removed. J133-2 shows 74.2V constant out which is what’s expected. J111-5 now shows pulsing .25V to .8V
I clipped the 2 wires from the coil and with the wires free I had the same results as above
Is that the correct low voltage pulse? Bad Coil?

Okay, yes - in that case, it is very possible your coil is bad. (Though, in theory, even with a bad coil, you should still see the pulsing drop. If you did NOT, it would mean that the transistor is still being held high when it drops, which means there's a short somewhere else.)

Drop in a different coil, and see if anything changes.

If nothing changes, then try this test -
In coil test, put your DMM into continuity check/mode. (The one where it 'beeps' when the leads are touched.) Put one lead on the metal backframe of the PCBs, and the other on the J111p5. Whenever the transistor activates the coil, you should get a 'beep' from your DMM.

#1781 3 years ago

Ok, coil was fine. That was the correct ohms. Issue was the transistor.
Had it replaced, works perfect now

Ah good! I thought I had replied to you, but I guess it had slipped my mind - a bad coil would show 0 or open ohms. Glad you got it!

#1783 3 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Does anyone know if there is a list of needed parts for a playfield swap. The manual doesn’t show the type and number of posts, hex , post studs, mini posts, etc etc needed. I assume someone did this before...

In theory, if you're swapping a playfield, won't you already have everything you need?

However, on IPDB there is a "Parts List" - that will narrow it down so much you'll regret it.

10 months later
#2194 2 years ago

What is an MRS MR?

"Magnetic Reed Switch"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
$ 36.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 119.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.