B4715AC8-F306-4AAA-B8D7-46C9433657BF (resized).jpeg
20240303_174324 (resized).jpg
totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chipscott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1065 6 years ago

I'm excited to say that I am now going to be able to join the club!
This is a game that I have wanted and wished for for years and years and years. I can't tell you how many times I saw a beautiful and available machine but didn't have the finance, or had the finance but there wasn't a game available... but this time the stars aligned!!!!!! My wish was granted!
...My wife finally found a beautiful TOTAN and secured it for our 10-year anniversary. Am I a lucky guy or what?!
Now if only the snow can clear enough to allow shipment, I'm going to be one happy puppy!
Can't wait to get her home, and post pics!

#1079 6 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Some folks asked for the specific glass paint colors used. See enclosed pics including close up results...added in the yellow and red where otherwise it was completely faded.

Awesome suggestion. Used this idea on the cabinet of another game that I have. Looked for this particular brand, but didn't find it. Used a different brand, but I'm still pleased with the results. Thank you again!

#1084 6 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Gold conversion in progress... Managed to snatch the gold lockdown bar in decent condition from a bloke in New Jersey for $42. I'm currently debating buying the gold coin door, which is considerably pricey, but my TOTAN is in an impeccable condition so it's a justified investment. Even thinking of stretching myself to a ColorDMD. The only things left are 6 gold pinballs (4 for the game, 2 for the captive balls) to complete it. I think I'll leave the hinges black as even the gold coin door seems a bit overkill to me.

That's beautiful! Is that a golden shooter rod too?! Gorgeous.
Personally, I don't think you could go wrong either way. As it looks now, its a gorgeous specimen and the black coin door isn't an issue...looks perfect... that said, I don't think a golden coin door would be bad either! Ha! These TOTAN machines are so beautiful, especially shined up the way you have it, they are going to look amazing no matter what. So if gold is what you want, go for it!! If you wind up not caring for it, I bet you could either hold on to it for a later day or sell it without issue.

I was checking out the expected fade on your cabinet...if you ever wanted to touch that up, calico1997 on post #181, and post #187 in this thread made an awesome suggestion regarding the use of glass paint (i had previously never heard of it. It's a transparent colored product either in paint pen style or brush on used to decorate glass and ceramic. Get from local craft store) to bring back the enhanced original color. While I couldn't find the exact brand they/he used, I used the same stuff but different brand on a cabinet of mine and it worked great.

Keep us posted on your restoration!!

#1087 6 years ago

Has anyone noticed the purple lamp base now available on the planetary pinball website? I put an order in. I think it may look awesome. I also picked up some matching purple spinning disk rubbers.
Has anyone changed this base out for other colors?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GS-3824

4 weeks later
#1111 6 years ago

My new TOTAN finally arrived! I am in absolute love with this game. The machine had been completely refurbished up in New York City (restore work by Eddie Cramer, brass plating by Mike Chestnut before he passed). I worked with Kaneda who sold me the machine. He was absolutely a delight to work with. Great communication, very straightforward and knowledgeable. He helped me to organize both the wrapping for shipping (thank you Fast Eddie!! Pic of Fast Eddie at his shop below with the game all wrapped and ready ) as well as the shipping. I have been now up all night playing. It plays flawlessly. Man, I wish I didn't have to work today... I'm so tired, but you better believe I'm going to play it again when I get home!

MVIMG_20180201_190824.jpgMVIMG_20180201_190824.jpg
IMG_20180202_081824_01~2.jpgIMG_20180202_081824_01~2.jpg

IMG950792.jpgIMG950792.jpg

3 weeks later
#1122 6 years ago

Just installed the purple spinning lamp disc and clear rubber side posts from PPS. I like it on this TOTAN. I liked the red disc too with yellow rubbers, but thought a change may be nice.

IMG_20180228_061025.jpgIMG_20180228_061025.jpg

MVIMG_20180228_061021.jpgMVIMG_20180228_061021.jpg

#1125 6 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi guys does anyone know where I can get a reproduction playfield for TOTAN? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Planetary Pinball Supply has CPR repro pf for $899.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

MVIMG_20180228_061021.jpgMVIMG_20180228_061021.jpg

#1128 6 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking of doing the same color combo. Did you change the color bulbs underneath as well?

Thanks! I wasnt sure how it would look... I've been so used to the red disk for so long, but I think the purple looks great in person and I think it adds a sleek look to the pf in comparison. I picked it up from PPS about 1 month ago, but looks like they're already out. I bet if one was to call them, they could get more. I used Countaker super bright LEDs underneath.

Quoted from Whitewater:

Their website says 'out of stock' ?

Yeah, I noticed they have it listed on their website, but no way to purchace. Not sure if that changed recently, but sorry to mislead you. May be worth calling them and checking though.
I did find this random thread from late last year with a fellow trying to sell one as well. His last post says "still for sale". May be worth investigating. I'll keep an eye out too for you.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=403146

3 months later
#1154 5 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

Bump. Hoping someone can check their TOTAN and see how their lights in my photos above are wired. Shouldn't all the magic lamp flashers run off the same wires?

Hope this helps! It's three lights in total: two lights and one flasher.

MVIMG_20180603_122102.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122102.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122441.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122441.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122520.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122520.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122539.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122539.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122608.jpgMVIMG_20180603_122608.jpg

#1157 5 years ago

It's had been years...but now that I have had this game in collection as of relatively recently I have been trying and trying and FINALLY I beat that Genies butt!! Take THAT you big blue bully!! Ha!

2 weeks later
#1164 5 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Finally glad to announce to many of you who have been waiting for these: TOTAN Playfields are back for sale at CPR !
These pretty babies are in clearcoat now, and it's time to start planning homes for these.
They are up for grabs in our Store: http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-playfields.html
Three years ago, 2015 marked the year CPR did it's biggest run in it's history - and TOTAN was the playfield. Of course, that record was well beat later by TAF in late 2017. Nonetheless, in the heat of TOTAN silkscreening, we missed one whole side of a double sided rack during a couple of the color shifts - meaning three colors later, we discovered (2) layers would be missing on those boards - rendering them culled immediately. The plan was to return to those boards during a lull in the future, and bring them up through fresh silkscreening from scratch, someday.
Well the last year these have been out of storage, and moving through baby steps around the shop to make their way toward their destiny - whenever we could give them the attention they deserved. The "lull" as hoped, never really happened. So it was a waiting game until an opening of opportunity finally saw this beauty of an art package built to completion on these. Done. So into the hands of our clearcoater they went - last week.
This batch is limited, of course. It will be first come, first served, until they are all spoken for. They turned out fantastic - with preliminary inspections yielding only a couple silvers - this batch turned out an easy all-gold-grade status. There's going to be some happy campers.
KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

The TOTAN I have now, which I purchased from a fellow pinsider a while back, is a restored game using one of your earlier CPR pf's. They are beautiful. Very nice work!

2 weeks later
#1175 5 years ago

I just acquired a laserific topper and I'm having a hard time getting it fully operational...can anyone give me some help.
I had a picture the fella I got it from that allowed me to plug it into the board in the back, and I have the colored lights working and interacting and corresponding with the modes...but, the topper glass and genie are dark and there is an LED strip behind the colored lights that don't seem to be getting any play.
There's an extra wire behind the topper that I just don't know where it goes or what do do with. Can anyone help, any pics for reference out there from anyone??

I included a picture of the of the connection allowing the colored mode light to function (done and successful) and a picture of the mystery wire that I believe allows the topper glass-related LED to light/function...but where does it plug into??

Thanks all!!

IMG_20180708_232726.jpgIMG_20180708_232726.jpgIMG_20180708_232814.jpgIMG_20180708_232814.jpgimage000000_03.jpgimage000000_03.jpg
#1176 5 years ago

Ok, got it figured out. There was a missing wire in the topper box, connected it to the board in the back and I'm in action.

image000000_04.jpgimage000000_04.jpg
5 months later
#1202 5 years ago

Question for the group.
My game is playing great without issue, with the one exception that recently my skill-shot is not registering. All three holes that correspond to the snake pits are not registering/active.
I followed the wires/connections associated with all 3 leafs at all three skill shot pits, and everything appears to be intact, I followed the wire/cable from the pf to underneath the pf which it appears to be well connected. That connection quickly divides into other wires that appear to be intact and going where they should, best I can tell.
Looks like a weekend project coming my way.
Any ideas anyone on how to fix this issue?

#1204 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ive had this. Those 3 targets take a beating.
I had to replace all 3 diodes. They just get old.
Take a spare diode, bend to switch, now take 3rd hand and hit switch in test. Good way to check before dissemble.

Thanks Eric, I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks for your reply!

#1205 5 years ago

Pretty sure this is what you're referring to... these little diodes behind the leaf switches, right?
Thanks in advance!

IMG_20181213_004823 (resized).jpgIMG_20181213_004823 (resized).jpgIMG_20181213_005308 (resized).jpgIMG_20181213_005308 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1215 5 years ago

Friend of ours that makes cookies made these for us...she nailed it!
Happy Holidays to everyone!

MVIMG952018011695134216 (resized).jpgMVIMG952018011695134216 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Restoring a TOTAN check out the powder coating. What do you think?
This machine is getting new speakers, color screen, sideblade art, mods, and a new translite. [quoted image][quoted image]

Don't think i've ever seen teal trim on that machine before. Looks pretty neat.
The contrast of the typical side art blades are rather orange (essentially more of the art seen in the back wall above the pf), and the complimentary color scheme (orange/blue) of those art blades directly up to the blue/teal trim may be better visually blended with mirror blades (which in turn would bounce many colors from the pf up the sides en route to your teal trim color choice). Just an idea.
If you are thinking about going all out, a few months ago i found a company (pimpmypin.com) that makes an easy to install LED light mod for under the sword that illuminates along the ball path upon shooting the ball (en route to the skill shot baskets). Took me 5 minutes to do and i think it looks really awesome. I think they have a quick video on their website that you can check out.
Also, since you are going over the whole machine, i don't think you can go wrong changing the lamp to the shiny one with the gems...I changed mine to shiny and its a really great look for an item that's front and center in the game.

2 weeks later
#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Thankyou for your help, I have now found the culprit. It was a crockadile clip from a mod fitted touching.
Something so simple.
Thank you for your advice.
Regards Simon

Yeah, this happened to me on my TOTAN a month or so back when I attached some alligator clips to the sling shot lights to illuminate the trough...they were touching the attached wires and I knocked out that side GI row. Had to replace fuse and just omitted the trough light. Maybe I try again this weekend...

#1231 5 years ago

Group question. I have had my Row 1 GI lights go out in the past and it correlates to the fuse f114 which is a 4 amp 250V fast blow fuse and I have replaced that and it fixed the issue for about 3 months. Today this is happened again and when I replaced the fuse it just kept blowing, three times over. I think I need to change the Q5 transistor. I don't know, I gave this a fair amount of thought. I'm not so sure it could be anything else??? It says it is a BT 135-E which is a 3-prong transistor available at Action Pinball on their website. I went ahead and ordered a couple of just to have them. What do you all think?
Thanks!!

1 week later
#1233 5 years ago

Update to above. Replaced the transistor and same row 1 lights out and fuse blowing immediately. Ran over all White-Brown wires and sure as shit if I didn't find a hidden brown wire almost out of plain sight hanging on by a thread in the dead center of the pf. Re-soldered, and then went through the entire row 1 wires and made sure no wires touching anywhere, again. Interestingly, when I removed that light socket to re-solder the loose brown wire, I noticed the top of the bulb in the LED within that socket rotated around, which is not normal and replaced it. Anyway, after all of that, turned her on and Bam, good to go...whew...

4 weeks later
#1243 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So this brings me to this subject, why do people treat legendary machines like red headed step child’s?
So when you go out and buy a used pin, are you looking to pay more money for certain things to be good, buy a diamond in the rough and stoked you got a deal on a machine you’re gonna make mint, or are you like F’ it I just want to try this pin and maybe sell it if I don’t like it and not gonna Repair jack on it
I’m pretty confused. But everyone has a different idea of why they want a pin, so curious how you got your TOTAN and what was the final purchase decision.
I’ll tell my reason once I’ve got yours

For me, when it came to buying my Arabian Nights, I did not want a project pin, in this case, I was looking for a diamond. When I found mine, it looked gorgeous, had new CPR pf, electronics had been gone through, all LED conversion with a number of new light sockets, shiney new golden lamp with jewels, it was brassed out everywhere, there was laseriffic topper, and I just couldn't help myself...hahaha... It was a bit pricey, I will admit, but I probably would have spent that money anyway to get it to that level. So I rationalized the higher price for that used machine as such.
That said, the boards were all original, and that has been the only issue(s) since my purchase. I've had to replace a transistor and fuse here and there, and at the current time, my unregulated 12-volt all of a sudden went out, and I figure I need to replace the associated 4 diodes and C8 capacitor, which I'll probably be doing this coming week. I hope it resolves the current issue because as of right now it is a gorgeous unplayable machine...pinball issues....

1 month later
#1251 4 years ago
Quoted from Birdnest:

Had Robert Stone put black with gold flake - May not be the usual path but I love how it turned out
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks amazing. Wow! It really carries on the imagery of night sky from the cabinet art to the top of the machine. Beautiful. Great choice!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 84.99
$ 119.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 36.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Boards
PinSound

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chipscott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club?tu=chipscott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.