B4715AC8-F306-4AAA-B8D7-46C9433657BF (resized).jpeg
20240303_174324 (resized).jpg
totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#334 8 years ago

Scored my first grail pin of an original owner/operator. It had all the original documentation in pristine condition!

IMG_7395_(resized).JPGIMG_7395_(resized).JPG

IMG_7403_(resized).JPGIMG_7403_(resized).JPG

IMG_7405_(resized).JPGIMG_7405_(resized).JPG

IMG_7407_(resized).JPGIMG_7407_(resized).JPG

IMG_7425_(resized).JPGIMG_7425_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#341 8 years ago

Just finished up the play field rest on my TOTAN I bought last week. discovered that I need a new Bazaar scoop!

Things done: PF stripped, cleaned, rubbers replaced, ramps replaced, all plastics cleaned, started replacing GI lighting with LEDs

broken/sticky micro switches replaced, all PCB lamp boards pulled and cleaned.

I'm sure there's something I forgot! Just waiting on all new cabinet hardware & decals and this thing will be perfect!

DSC05376_(resized).JPGDSC05376_(resized).JPG

DSC05380_(resized).JPGDSC05380_(resized).JPG

DSC05453_(resized).JPGDSC05453_(resized).JPG

DSC05384_(resized).JPGDSC05384_(resized).JPG

DSC05393_(resized).JPGDSC05393_(resized).JPG

DSC05398_(resized).JPGDSC05398_(resized).JPG

DSC05403_(resized).JPGDSC05403_(resized).JPG

DSC05404_(resized).JPGDSC05404_(resized).JPG

DSC05409_(resized).JPGDSC05409_(resized).JPG

DSC05410_(resized).JPGDSC05410_(resized).JPG

DSC05412_(resized).JPGDSC05412_(resized).JPG

DSC05417_(resized).JPGDSC05417_(resized).JPG

DSC05426_(resized).JPGDSC05426_(resized).JPG

DSC05427_(resized).JPGDSC05427_(resized).JPG

DSC05433_(resized).JPGDSC05433_(resized).JPG

DSC05434_(resized).JPGDSC05434_(resized).JPG

DSC05438_(resized).JPGDSC05438_(resized).JPG

DSC05437_(resized).JPGDSC05437_(resized).JPG

DSC05449_(resized).JPGDSC05449_(resized).JPG

DSC05450_(resized).JPGDSC05450_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#343 8 years ago

These decals from PPS are phenomenal!!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#351 8 years ago

If you're in test mode, go to lamps+flashers and check it.

Note, since it on the flasher circuit, you have to have the interlock tool installed to enable the high power while the coin door is open.

Also- Be careful when working with the high power enabled when you have the play field up!!

testing it this way will allow you to see if a new flasher bulb will work

***EDIT*** If you are using LED flashers, they can be hard to get to make contact in the socket- may have to mess with the wires on the wedge of the LED bulb to make sure they are making contact with the socket

interlock tool:

interlock3_(resized).jpginterlock3_(resized).jpg

tool installed to enable the high power which drives solenoids and flashers.
interlock4_(resized).jpginterlock4_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#362 8 years ago

Started a new journey today

totan_restore-01_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-01_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-03_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-03_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-04_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-04_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-05_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-05_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-06_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-06_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-07_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-07_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-08_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-08_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-09_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-09_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-10_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-10_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#366 8 years ago
Quoted from larrys1:

Maybe your ramps are twisted or not installed correctly. I would check that first, maybe install a shim in spots to try and avoid the problem.

I agree with this..I installed new ramps on mine and they are definitely faster than the stock/dirty ones. Maybe pull ramps and clean really good

Also, I think you may have the hex posts mixed up, thus twisting the ramp(s) slightly and changing pitch perhaps enough to prevent smooth flow.

read this for info on hex posts
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-restoration-help-with-hex-posts

1 week later
#376 8 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

how much fun was it figuring out which posts to use for the ramp?

I numbered my posts with numbered stickers and took photos of them before/as tearing it down so they'd go back in the exact place they came from. Still stressful!

#379 8 years ago

Finished my TOTAN restore. My first major restore... big accomplishment for me to say the least- I just need to re-build the flippers and add new rubbers and it will be done! I love this game!

DSC05571_(resized).JPGDSC05571_(resized).JPG

DSC05573_(resized).JPGDSC05573_(resized).JPG

DSC05576_(resized).JPGDSC05576_(resized).JPG

DSC05577_(resized).JPGDSC05577_(resized).JPG

DSC05554_(resized).JPGDSC05554_(resized).JPG

DSC05572_(resized).JPGDSC05572_(resized).JPG

DSC05557_(resized).JPGDSC05557_(resized).JPG

DSC05558_(resized).JPGDSC05558_(resized).JPG

DSC05559_(resized).JPGDSC05559_(resized).JPG

DSC05560_(resized).JPGDSC05560_(resized).JPG

DSC05561_(resized).JPGDSC05561_(resized).JPG

DSC05569_(resized).JPGDSC05569_(resized).JPG

DSC05570_(resized).JPGDSC05570_(resized).JPG

#382 8 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

It looks stunning!

Thank you! It looks even better in person. I don't know about you guys, but doing one of these full restores makes me want to do another one. Luckily with this one, it was in great shape to start with, from the PF to the cabinet. Bought it from the original owner who was an operator. He had pulled it from routing in the late 90's and had it in his home until just a year ago, when he put it in the local small 8-lane bowling alley tucked away in the corner. I asked him why he had it at home for so long and he said it was his wife's favorite pin, and was never to be sold. I saw it at the bowling alley and got in contact with him and told him if he ever sold it, I would be interested. Well, as we all know, Cash is king!!

#384 8 years ago

Ok, here goes a rough estimate. I did the machine in 2 major phases, first, the playfield, and second, the cabinet/backbox.

Playfield: Took approx. 18 hours (6 hours, 3 days)

1. completely stripped everything down, with the exception of the targets, slings and pop bumper bases. cleaned and waxed the playfield, replaced star posts, pop caps, & rubber parts.
2. replaced (with new) skill shot ramp, replaced (with new) bazaar scoop, replaced (with new)all 3 clear ramps, replaced (with new) genie & cleaned fireball ramp & genie lamp
3. replaced all GI lamps, flasher lamps and insert lamps with comet LEDs.
4. pulled all lamp PCBs and re-flowed solder on pin headers for cracked solder joints (few insert lamps out)
5. replaced both in-lane micro switches, replaced both ball lock micro switches, & cleaned/adjusted all other switches
6. removed/cleaned apron
7. on underside of playfield, cleaned all PF inserts (black dust) and all PF mechanics.

Again, as I was tearing it down, I took TONS of photos. Like I said earlier, when it came to the hex posts, I marked them with stickers, and while in place took photos. this made re-assembly a breeze.

Cabinet restoration/game re-assembly: Took approx. 24 hours (6 hours, 4 days)

1. Removed all boards from head & cleaned them, boards were all matching SN's with no hacks. pushed harnesses down into cabinet, removed backbox from cabinet. Removed speaker panel
2. Removed (completed) Playfield from Cabinet & stored in safe place.
4. Stripped cabinet of all hardware, sanded cabinet and backbox with Bosch 1250DEVS sander with 60-grit pads. Then sanded cab with 120-grit pads. Glued front right corner of cab and clamped. Finished sanding cab with 240-grit pads. Primed cabinet and backbox, sanded again with 24o-grit pads. Painted cabinet and backbox, sanded again by hand with 240 grit paper by hand
5. with the help of my daughter, applied decals on backbox & cabinet dry. Used McCune/Bryan Kelly method. worked perfectly. trimmed decals, used black paint pen on edges (Bryan Kelly method)
6. refurbished coin door using Bryan Kelly Method. installed brand new side rails, stern leg protectors, and coin door.
7. refurbished all exposed carriage bolts (backbox & cab)
8. refurbished lockdown assembly, re-installed.
9. re-installed playfield, installed brand new legs & levelers, re-installed backbox onto cabinet.
10. replaced speaker panel with new, installed pinball pro speakers/woofer, installed colorDMD
11. disassembled translite, and cleaned/painted the light tub white. re-assembled.
12 installed brand new lockdown bar

Two areas I did not completely restore were the back of the cabinet/backbox, because it was already in excellent shape, and the inside of the cabinet. They both just needed a good cleaning. The game came with all the original documentation as well as the cash box.

Lastly, the Playfield glass could be replaced but it's not that bad at all.

EDIT: added a photo of the machine before the restore. 2nd one is the bowling alley where I got it

IMG_7500_(resized).JPGIMG_7500_(resized).JPG
IMG_7395_(resized).JPGIMG_7395_(resized).JPG

#385 8 years ago

It took me about a month total, from ordering all the replacement parts from different sources (PPS, Marco, PDI) to working on it mostly on the weekends. I was really surprised how well the Bosch sander worked. It's the 1250DEVS, which equates to the 6" festool. It stripped the decals in record time. 5 minutes per side on the backbox, and 15 minutes per side on the cabinet. Amazing product for the price. I have a shop-vac hook-up for it, so there was zero dust.

The cabinet decals were the most stressful because of how big they are. I followed Bryan Kelly's IJ thread meticulously as far as applying them and trimming them. they turned out amazing. Definitely a 2-person job. I built a coin door plug to do the front. When I got the game it was in superb condition with the exception of cabinet fade and a slight separation on the cabinet between the front and right side. I think that the condition of the machine in the beginning is key. Hope this all helps!!

EDIT: added some images of the sanding

totan_restore-03_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-03_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-04_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-04_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-07_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-07_(resized).jpg

totan_restore-05_(resized).jpgtotan_restore-05_(resized).jpg

#387 8 years ago

Thanks dmacy. I really had fun doing it . I say if it isn't fun for ya, you might be in the wrong hobby! I really love pinball

2 weeks later
#393 8 years ago
Quoted from biglaw:

Pinbits has both plastic pieces 35.00

Here it is: https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_22&products_id=258&zenid=50b0e2502e2fd28a2e8d507294ebb374

NOTE: The center plastic ball rail attaches from the underside of the playfield with a metal bracket thats attached to it. Are you missing the entire thing? If so, you may have to fabricate the bracket to go with this plastic

-Dan

1 month later
#411 7 years ago

My game had this problem when I bought it. It turned out to be the ramp entrance/gate microswitch. It was old/sticky and wouldn't always register (like most old switches do) I replaced it when I replaced my ramps and all is perfect now. I believe it's that switch that tells the diverter to open or not.

Here's a pic.

ramp_entrance_switch_(resized).JPGramp_entrance_switch_(resized).JPG

#413 7 years ago

To be a little more clear- When I bought my game, it would do "diverter broken" MOST of the time, which means SOME of the time, it would work. The culprit was the switch (like mentioned above) at the ramp entrance that was working only SOME of the time.

Replacing the switch fixed it, not re-booting the game.

1 month later
#452 7 years ago

not often you see these in the wild anymore... local restaurant/bar

1 week later
#454 7 years ago
Quoted from Yamisetatiggler:

the inner left loop does not register during game play but tests OK.

Do you test it in switch edge test with just your finger pushing it down, or by rolling a ball over it? Sometimes it falls out of adjustment or the micro "button" (under the metal lever) starts to gum up/flake out. May have to re-adjust it so a ball will activate it (if this is the case) or replace it with a new one.

Just an Idea -Dan

6 months later
#578 7 years ago
Quoted from rdbronko73:

That did the trick. The lights for the backglass are working properly now. Thanks!

rdbronko73, way to bring that "parts machine" back from near death! Looks great! Nice job!

#579 7 years ago

All TOTAN owners,

I wanted to say that over the holiday break I bought and installed Herg's LED OCD and GI OCD boards on my TOTAN... and all I can say is this is the best mod to date you can install on this game, hands down! I have all Comet LEDs throughout the game, and the boards clean up ALL the flickering and allow the GI to perform dimming as it should. AWESOME is all I can say!

#584 7 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Bump on this issue, still can't figure it out. Does anyone else have any ideas on what I should be looking for?

Maybe a wire came off under the playfield. Check out this TZ thread coil issue, sounds like he had a similar problem

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-coil-issues

1 week later
#589 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

the flicker on totan was the only one driving me crazy

I totally agree on this, as I would imagine most all other TOTAN owners who have LEDs installed. If the game is in a really dark game room, the flickering can cause you to lose track of the ball, especially during multiball. I believe HERG invented the OCD boards using his TOTAN game!

1 month later
#609 7 years ago
Quoted from Stokoloog:

I saw the diode is connected to the target on a different manner.

If you look at the wiring, it's pretty much the same (Green-yellow front tab, White blue rear tab) except that the tabs are on the bottom rather than the side. I would wire it the same way, Green yellow to the empty lug and White-blue to the non-banded diode side lug.

EDIT: As far as the diode is concerned, it looks like the leafs are out of order. I think the banded side diode connection should be isolated from the other two connections . maybe it was assembled that way on accident.

Can you add another photo of that area from a different angle? Is that empty lug coming off the center blade in the switch stack? In the photo, it looks like it's stacked with the front diode lug (banded side). If it is, then I believe it's wrong. See my attached photo of my popeye game for proper order. Maybe the experts can chime in on this

wiring (resized).JPGwiring (resized).JPG

popeye bluto target (resized).JPGpopeye bluto target (resized).JPG

1 week later
2 weeks later
#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Namsan:

Some photos of mine, restoration still in progress.

Is that powder coat, or spray paint? That wear on the scimitar is rough

spray paint (resized).JPGspray paint (resized).JPG

1 week later
#648 7 years ago

Where'd ya get that lamp? PDI? I just wish it was cheaper!!!!

1 week later
#662 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

stupid money. 175.00
but i just had to have it.
yes pdi

Yeah, I'm gonna pull the trigger on that too eventually. It's the last piece I need for my TOTAN to be perfect...

#663 7 years ago

Here's a photo from high end pins resto that has the same slot

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album573/77_G

#678 7 years ago

what's with the towels?

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hey folks. Is the lamp supposed to be squished like this?

Damn, looks like it spent some time in the Arabian Desert

2 weeks later
#755 6 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I have the same problem ... not sure what the solution is ?

I think this target is supposed to be an A-18530-6 standard oblong target (yellow) instead of the A-18017-6 3D target thats shown in your picture. The 3D target is supposed to be behind the two newton balls and up next to the genie. I believe the TOTAN manual has these called out backwards. Either that, or Marco has them listed backwards (part numbers swapped)

Image is from High-End Pins (HEP)

targets (resized).JPGtargets (resized).JPG

#758 6 years ago

Not sure if it really matters, but could definitely be cause the air balls I believe......

#777 6 years ago

That's an 8K game. My TOTAN is the same condition as yours, even the playfield, no cliffys either. yours has ghosting around the BAZAAR insert, which mine does not. I wouldn't ask any more than 8K for mine

#794 6 years ago

Less Purple- These are Comet 2SMD Ultimate Optix under playfield-

IMG_9664 (resized).JPGIMG_9664 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#830 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Do you guys think its worth doing new cab decals

Decals make the game look BRAND NEW. they are not too hard either if the cabinet wood is in excellent shape and all you have is fade, like mine was.

Original Decals-01 (resized).JPGOriginal Decals-01 (resized).JPG

Cabinet Refinishing-02 (resized).jpgCabinet Refinishing-02 (resized).jpg

New Decals-01 (resized).jpgNew Decals-01 (resized).jpg

Cab Restore-FRT LH Corner closeup-02 (resized).JPGCab Restore-FRT LH Corner closeup-02 (resized).JPG

Restore Finished-03 (resized).JPGRestore Finished-03 (resized).JPG

#834 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

looks great. How long did it take (including pulling PF, etc)

I believe this post details it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club/page/8#post-2993193

#835 6 years ago

Where did you buy decals? Ive seen a few spots and differnt prices

Ordered mine from Planetary Pinball Supply, who doesn't seem to carry TOTAN ones anymore. PDI seems to have the same ones, for around the same price. I know that the ones I got from PPS were "Genuine BW replacement" printed with "Next-generation" printing. see image

New Decals-05 (resized).JPGNew Decals-05 (resized).JPG
New Decals-02 (resized).jpgNew Decals-02 (resized).jpg

#837 6 years ago

Not a problem! Maybe contact PPS to see if they still sell them even though they are not shown on their site. They were excellent to deal with!

#840 6 years ago

What starting grit did you use and finish?

60 to start, then 120 to remove the sanding swirl marks, then 240 to smooth it all out. after priming and painting, 240 to finish.

1 week later
#858 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Do you all have this same contact? Is the rubber in the wrong place?

Normal on replacement rubbers because they tend to be slightly fatter than the OEM ones..

Question- What's with the red pop bumper caps?

#868 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hmm, looks like high_end_pins has two bands in his photos:

The second band (bottom one I believe) is used to prevent a ball trap. If you only have one, a ball can get wedged in there between the PF and rubber. Happened on mine a few times (rare) until I restored it and added the second band.

3 months later
#1028 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I had to cut the back of the eyes off with an xacto knife.

Yeah, I did too. Because this part is molded with a roto-cast/slush mold technology, it's impossible to prevent heavy build-up of material in certain areas, in this case, the eye pockets. I'm sure all the genies on the production games back in 1996 had the same problem, however B/W probably had a hot knife or dremmel-like tool on the assembly line molding area to finish the part after it was de-molded. No big deal, right? kind of a pain though!

1 week later
#1034 6 years ago

Every time I see an update for the TOTAN thread, I get excited- Until I click on the link and read that it's only soliciting. Shoot, you could even call it "spamming". This crap needs to be banished to the marketplace ONLY.

2 months later
#1082 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Here's a question: I often get the Vanishing Magnet is Broken error message. I then run the Genie Test and it shows everything is ok, and the credit dot disappears.

I was getting the exact same problem when I bought my TOTAN. Mine was a flaky microswitch in the tunnel just under the vanishing magnet. I replaced the microswitch and have NEVER gotten the error since.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the only way to activate this switch is either through the Magnet dropping to start multiball or the Harem sneak-in hole. If you play so many games in a row WITHOUT actuating the switch, it triggers the error. This might be the problem if the switch is fine. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the error it throws instead of "check switch 12 vanish tunnel"

here's the switch:

switch-TOTAN magnet (resized).JPGswitch-TOTAN magnet (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#1108 6 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

You mentioned that you replaced the switch, do you remember where you found it?

use this switch body, and transfer the wire actuator lever over: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1860

With these diodes: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173

The unique number for the part in the manual (A-12238 in this case) pertains to the actuator lever itself, really. all the switch bodies are 3-pole DA3 switches, usually the easy-actuation force like the one listed above. Just transfer the flat lever over and solder a NEW 1N4004 diode on, and then install. Should fix all your problems. buying a few of these when ordering can't hurt- you probably will be replacing others in the future, especially if you own multiple B/W pins!

I've used this one as well and it works just fine. I think it is a stronger pressure on the button:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=830

2 weeks later
#1113 6 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Thanks for the detailed info Seatmandan! I'm finally getting around to fixing it this evening

No problem! Glad I could help! This game is great when everything works properly!

1 year later
#1232 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Made a Alt translite with art purchased online. I changed the jewel in her head piece to red, and I will put a lamp behind it to light when her ruby lights. And I put in a new Lamp from -Alibaba-.

Looks great EXCEPT-- the Tiger looks like it's out of a Disney movie. (Jungle Book?) Maybe needs to look a little more realistic

5 months later
#1384 4 years ago

thinner one is for Bazaar and ramp targets, fatter one is for targets next to genie and in the captive ball areas

Edit: I believe the manual is backwards, or at least the images in the illustrations are

1 week later
#1398 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

So I just upgraded my code to 1.4 mainly because when the ball is on the genie magnet for a mode start it would just drop the ball SDTM. After the update I still get the same thing after the mode start it just drops ball. I just watched videos and see some try and move the ball before it drops it.
All I see in the menu is Magnet Trow I set it to 3 from Factory setting of 1 but still no difference. Is there something i'm missing or need to set somewhere else?

I had this problem too. messing with the throw setting never quite fixed it, so I un-leveled the game side to side slightly, and this fixed all the gravity drops SDTM. The ball will now catch the tip of a flipper when that happens.

1 week later
#1445 4 years ago
Quoted from Tinnhound:

Hi everyone, I picked up a TOTAN a few days ago, and have been going thru it, fixing things, and playing it a bit. I noticed last night that when all 3 Lock lights were lit, I could send the ball up the left loop repeatedly and not lock a ball, however, I could lock a ball below the tiger magnet. I went thru the entire switch matrix on edge test, and every single switch works. What am I missing here? I am assuming that since there is a lock light flashing at the left loop , that I should be able to lock a ball, is this not the case? I have game ROM 1.4 Thanks for all help and advice!

This ball lock can be temperamental. Make sure that when the balls are entering the lock lane from the top, and coming to a rest (specifically locks 2 & 3, lock 1 is a saucer and isn't usually out of adjustment) that when stacked up, they all depress and actuate the microswitches under them. It's usually locks 2 and 3 that need adjustment. switch 3 isn't really a lock, it's just a stack that will tell the game to dump lock 1 and then the top 2 move down.

I had a problem with 2 & 3 for a while, finally dialed it in. Check them with the playfield in the down 6.5 degree position

3 positions (resized).JPG3 positions (resized).JPG
#1446 4 years ago

did you check the left inside orbit switch? this switch tells the magnet to turn on and grab the ball. Does the Magnet turn on? if the switch works in edge test, MAYBE the ball is not depressing it fully when in flight around the orbit. If this is the case, adjust the height of the microswitch under the PF and test the orbit with a ball in edge test with the PF DOWN in the 6.5 deg. position
left loop lock (resized).JPGleft loop lock (resized).JPG

#1447 4 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Just wondering. Does the diverter open to send the ball into the Tiger loop?

great point- if the ball is ending up in the pop bumpers when you're shooting the left orbit when lock is lit, then this is the case

ALSO: I believe that the mode Sinbad and the Rocs does not let you lock with the left orbit when the mode is active. If it's not that mode, then it's another.

#1450 4 years ago

Glad you fixed it! nothing better than a fully functioning TOTAN!

#1455 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The iridescent lockdown bar is way too cool!!
Please do tell?

That looks like the paint called "Mystic" that Ford Motor Company used in the 90's and early 2000's on certain Mustangs

Mystic (resized).jpgMystic (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1465 4 years ago

I'm guessing that they probably have bunched up, pooling, rippled clearcoat around the holes where the posts go

3 weeks later
#1489 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I did also run into the mysterious “vanish magnet broken” error which seems to have gone away now

This error is caused by the microswitch in
the subway just under the vanish magnet not registering properly. this could be by a flaky/bad switch, a bent actuation wire, or just not hitting the switch for 25+ games

1 month later
#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Had to direct solder one of the wires to a blade, the tab broke off,

My genie assembly had a broken tab on the switch as well, and I fixed it the same way. Been that way for quite a while now with zero problems. Nice work!

#1540 4 years ago

Is this a thing? If you miss the skill shot completely (I think my sword is pushing the ball to the left so sometimes it misses landing on the skill shot) and let the ball drain (with ball save on) you get another ball and another chance at the skill shot.

It looks like your game is missing the clear deflector on the LH side of the skill shot ramp.

Deflector (resized).JPGDeflector (resized).JPGmissing deflector (resized).JPGmissing deflector (resized).JPG
#1541 4 years ago

It looks like Marco carries it, but it's out of stock.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-2562-3

LSOG has it.

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-plastics/playfield-plastics-single-plastics/tales-of-the-arabian-nights-skill-shot-clear-plastic-31-2562-3/

Pinbits has it too. Looks like they can also provide the small bracket as well.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=345

EDIT: You'll need to make a small "L" shaped bracket for it to attach it to the skill shot

#1543 4 years ago

The bazaar kickout is still not consistently hitting the flipper (drain). I took it out and it looks like someone had to weld the tabs back together that hold the side to the scoop and didn't quite align it well enough, so there is a wider gap at the top, which seems to let the ball go too far left. I bent the heck out of it and it's better, but I think I might just order the part from Marco.

I had the same problem with mine (broken welds) replaced it with a marco (mantis) one when I restored it, kicks out perfectly ever since
I do not have any aftermarket mods, so can't really help you on the genie mods. As far as the flasher wiring- the owners manual is invaluable for this!

good luck, -Dan

EDIT:

Looks looks it's out of stock at Marco, and more expensive. ($99.00) Mantis Amusements has it for $75.00

https://mantispinball.com/product/tales-of-the-arabian-nights-bazaar-scoop/

#1546 4 years ago

Is this the replacement for the lock magnet bracket and core (A-18157)

No, I believe that one would be too big of a core for the magnet.
Are you missing the tiger magnet core bracket all together? (A-18157) If so, I might have the used one from my game when I restored it.

#1550 4 years ago

do you have an original one that’s beat to death, or are you missing it all together?

#1551 4 years ago

i have both new, looks like the adjustable one will work. the one i’m showing is from Dirty Harry, which is probably same as TZ

3DC1C2E8-3680-45E4-864C-72820857C643 (resized).jpeg3DC1C2E8-3680-45E4-864C-72820857C643 (resized).jpeg2D2C4B5D-F681-4D8C-BB85-4956117EADDB (resized).jpeg2D2C4B5D-F681-4D8C-BB85-4956117EADDB (resized).jpegC3E55BF8-D67F-4160-AC59-8D7C9F92CE12 (resized).jpegC3E55BF8-D67F-4160-AC59-8D7C9F92CE12 (resized).jpeg
#1553 4 years ago

Or one of these. Marco uses the same picture, not sure if that means they are the same or just similar.

I believe this bracket is for a smaller diameter (O.D.) magnet, and Marco is using the wrong picture. It's the magnet bracket for under the mini-playfield on TZ, and won't work for TOTAN.

Yes, this is the correct nut that you listed:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=4428-01135-00+nut

#1558 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Where did you find an original new? I’m good with the TZ as the original wasn’t in stock anywhere

I bought it back in early 2016, when I restored my TOTAN.
I have yet to install it, as I recall I just filed down the one that came with the game and left it in there.

2 months later
#1599 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Whenever the long left diverter under the ramp is pulled and in hold mode, there is a loud hum or "rattle sound".

Rebuild the assembly to tighten up all the looseness (rattling) and turn up the game volume to muffle the humming sound. TOTAN has GREAT sound.

1 week later
#1622 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

it’s a ColorDMD but the original LCD and not the new version. The new version is a little more crisp though,

Huh? I have 2 older ones and a new one and they all look exactly the same. not sure what your comment refers to

#1624 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I do DOTXL but even with that you can tell the difference

When they (old LCD v.s. new) are both set to standard there is zero difference IMO. The reason the newer ones look better is because of DotXL setting.
You said the new one looks "sharper" which I don't agree with. they look exactly the same. Only difference being the looks of the chassis and the firmware.
As far as the LED display goes, there's definitely a difference there.

My point is, nobody should be discouraged from buying a game with the gen.1 ColorDMD. They are great just like the newer one

1 week later
#1627 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Cause and cure ... when the magnet in front of the genie releases the ball on occasion it will not “jiggle" the ball and causes the ball to drain SDTM
Any suggestions ?

Nothing.

What I did was put an intentional slant to the RH side (Bazaar side) to cause the ball to either contact a spinning genie lamp post, or drive towards the RH flipper slightly. Only thing that works.

#1635 4 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

In the latest ROM revision, there is a setting to change how hard the magnet flings the ball away on release. Try changing that setting.

This does nothing in the instances where the ball does NOT fling.

#1640 4 years ago

What i'm saying is, even with the "MAGNET THROW" setting turned all the way up, there are times when it does NOT throw the ball at all, and it still drops SDTM. It's NOT the magnet, because I've tried a brand new magnet and it will still do it sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that this topic is covered in this thread somewhere already, and if not, then its in another thread here on Pinside

I just want to prepare you for the disappointment you'll have when the ball is still dropping SDTM sometimes, that's all.

EDIT: also want to note that I run V1.4 as well.

#1648 4 years ago

Lower Left GI is White with a Yellow stripe, which is F112, which is a 4.0Amp fuse. Remember, these I believe are the shorter fuses than standard?

#1653 4 years ago

20mm in length versus the 32mm longer fuse. the diameter is slightly different too. This is a WPC-95 Power Driver board thing. see the image i posted.
The fuses on the RIGHT are the shorter ones used on WPC-95

E7394788-B2C3-465D-89E9-ECE93D87BD2C (resized).jpegE7394788-B2C3-465D-89E9-ECE93D87BD2C (resized).jpeg

#1658 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

found a TOTAN fuse kit on Marcos, just ordered that. thanks again for the insights.

The bag of short 4.0A fuses you see in my image are from the Marco TOTAN fuse kit I believe.

EDIT: I did verify that those are indeed TOTAN fuses. The "T" in front of the amperage value means "time delay" which is noted in the manual. see image:

TOTAN GI FUSES (resized).JPGTOTAN GI FUSES (resized).JPG
#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yes, it matters. The short and sweet - Fast Blow will pop/blow/open a LOT sooner when current gets to the fuses' rated value. Time-Delay will not. Likely, if you're using these on coil circuits, the fast-blow will open after a few coils fire, because the current draw is a lot higher when power is initially given to the coil.

I agree. this is, however, a G.I. circuit I believe, and wouldn't using LEDs make the current draw way less than incandescents, thus reducing the issue? Just curious...

8 months later
#1843 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

That's correct a Newton ball should be there.

With a loose pinball between it and the target, just like the one on the RHS of the game under the clear ramp

EDIT: and, thats the wrong target switch- should be a narrow yellow one, like this:

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-parts/switches/target-switch-yellow-oblong-front-mount-a-18530-6/

1 month later
#1936 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Need help. Keep getting vanishing magnet broken error. But the magnet works fine. Thoughts?

I had this error. It was intermittent at first, then all the time.

There's a microswitch just under the magnet in the clear subway. It's where the ball goes when it vanishes. This switch may be sticking, or out of adjustment. For me, the switch body nub was gummed up and wouldn't "click" out all the time, I replaced the switch and fixed the error.

I did post that on this thread a few years ago with photos.

Hope this helps

my original post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club/page/22#post-4155669

1 month later
#2090 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I decided to take a swing at making a fireball. I wanted mine to look more "ball shaped" (like a small sun).
Here's my first pass at it...

That looks awesome! looks very realistic when lit

#2105 3 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

One more question. Do Totan orders have an issue with the ball getting stuck on the left ramp? If the ball is hit to light (And the magnet is not activated), that ball gets stuck before the metal bracket/ramp. Again, only happens on a very slow ball.

I never have. It either rolls back down, or makes it over the hill, and gravity carries it through the ramp.

2 questions: What is your PF angle, and does your game have the metal "helper" bracket installed in the ramp at the magnet, or is it missing?

this "lift" bracket:
https://shop.thepinwitch.com/Game-Specific/Williams-75/Arabian-Nights/TOTAN---Magnet-Ramp-End-Patcher.html?language=en

#2110 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

So it was a shooter lane switch issue, but not the switch itself

he said it was not the shooter lane. he said it was one of the two switches on the ball lock having a gummed up micro button under the actuator arm.

I’ve had some problems with the middle ball position switch over the years. these switches are a bear to adjust because they really need to be tested for actuation with the playfield down, and with rolling real pinballs into the ball lock when checking actuation in switch edge test. this is very hard to do with the large plastic in place, so it’s best to do it when shopping the game for cleaning.

3 weeks later
#2124 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Bazaar are the thin ones and genie Newton balls are 3D on mine.

...Which is the correct way from games in the arcade back in the mid 90's

#2125 2 years ago
Quoted from gb:

So, TOTAN fans, which is correct? Is the manual wrong?

Games came from factory with 3D ones behind the newton balls

People over the years replaced the bazaar and ramp ones with the 3D b/c the reinr. ones didn't exist, and they took a beating better.

9 months later
#2297 2 years ago

excellent idea on the wire. I installed a skinny purple post years ago (screwed into the plastic guide) just above the drop and has worked flawlessly

4CCF82AF-2AAB-4A07-B99E-B0CB7C5DAEAA (resized).jpeg4CCF82AF-2AAB-4A07-B99E-B0CB7C5DAEAA (resized).jpeg6E2C6E5A-DF3D-4AFB-AB02-D70CD7FE3834 (resized).jpeg6E2C6E5A-DF3D-4AFB-AB02-D70CD7FE3834 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 36.95
$ 119.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club?tu=Seatmandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.