totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6969_jpg (resized).jpeg
IMG_1054 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MLmotorsport.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1972 3 years ago

I just picked up a TOTAN this week and will be doing a thorough refresh on it before it goes in my lineup so I will be spending some time here reading up on what I should be addressing while I've got it torn down. One thing I can't seem to find much about is sound upgrades. I have Pinsound on my other games and love it but they don't offer any alternate or upgraded sound tracks for TOTAN so I'm not sure it's worth it to go that route. Would also consider Pinwoofer GT. I know there's only so much you can do to improve these old tracks but these 2 options would allow me to at least somewhat equalize the sound to my liking. One benefit to Pinsound is the easy headphone station with external volume control but I'm looking for a reason NOT to drop another $700 on a Pinsound kit! What's worked for you?

#1976 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I think your first comment is the most telling. TOTAN's sound system is the old pseudo stereo (aka mono with a few filter components) type used in most WPC machines. Pinsound, although exciting technically, is most exciting when the community has created updated soundtracks. I checked Pinsound's website a few weeks ago and TOTAN does NOT have any alternative soundtracks, and although you can create your own soundtracks easily, would you??? That sounds easy until you add up the hundred hours you will need to spend looking for and editting audio clips from other sources. (i.e. Disney's Aladdin movie, or Arabian Nights, or Shazaam, Return of Jafar, ?). And I fear the net result will likely be less appealing than you started with. Last summer, there was a guy on Pinside that found the original TOTAN actors and recorded new clips for his re-authored Alladdin machine (based on TOTAN), but I don't think he ever shared the new recordings or if they would even work from a content standpoint for TOTAN's ruleset and goals.
Instead, consider just a simple speaker swap to get the most bang for your buck. Last year, I wrote a few posts about swapping the cabinet and backbox speakers with much higher quality devices, for a toal of less than $100. I think it was Boss CXX8's in the cabinet and Kicker mid-ranges in the head. My 2-cents, a better plan.

Oh, I know a reorchestration would be mega hours and way outside my wheelhouse (though I would be happy to chip in to fund it if anyone had the notion to do such a thing). I would probably lean towards doing Pinsound if they had any upgraded sound files for TOTAN. Basic speakers would probably help but I'd like to have some tonal control too.

Quoted from pin-pimp:

I have the PinWoofer kit in my totan. Real easy plug and play full speaker system with
All user friendly sound adjustments just inside coin door. Good bang for the buck!

I haven't had a chance to try out his new creation but the old one stepped up the sound on my MMr significantly. The price for this new (better) amp has also gone up significantly ...though still about half the price of a full Pinsound+ system.

Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey mlmotorsport ! It's been awhile - hope your MMr is still jamming good with the V2 PinWoofer system!
TOTAN is a great sounding title owing to the later / better WPC95 audio. Albeit mono, you still have a ton of potential on WPC95. Keep in mind that the later Whitestar and SAM titles are mono as well (Star Trek, Tron, ACDC, Metallica, etc.), and for the most part those platforms sound amazing. I would not let mono deter you from adding our amplifier and speaker upgrade.
As you probably know replacing the speakers alone leads mostly to disappointment. Adding our GT amplifier is key to liberating the backbox, plus you'll get great bass out of the cabinet just like MMr.
Here is the recommended system:
https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-gt-8in-5-25in-wpc95-super-kit/
You can cut power to the speakers, and then route headphones using the line out on the GT amp which works well at nominal volume levels. If you want to run your headphones a bit louder, we can advise you on an aftermarket setup that won't cost much and will be straightforward to setup.
Have fun and good luck!
Dan
+1 208 855 0346

I'll get with you on this. Looking like my best plug & play option at the moment.

2 weeks later
#2034 3 years ago

Getting ready to put in some orders for a thorough shop job on my new-to-me TOTAN and I'm stuck at lighting. I want to start from scratch and probably just do a fairly simple scheme for the sake of ease. I've searched this thread and see preferences vary but tend to be on the dark side. My game room is usually quite dark when playing pins so I might like to keep it on lighter side to see the playfield and ball more easily. I got GI OCD to help with the dimming effect (GI currently blinks badly when dimming). Will I regret just going with warm white frosted on everything - maybe natural white, or sunlight? Are there any inserts that won't look good with white backlight? I do see that some are lighting "BAZAAR" with yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, red which I'll probably try. Also, any estimate on the number of wedge, bayonette, flashers, etc that I'll need? I dont have my machine with me or I'd be able to count them.

While I'm at it - purple (multicolor?) perfect play rubber all around? Worth it? I haven't tried them yet but it would be certainly be easier to just buy a regular set of rings pre-packaged for this game especially not having the pin here with me.
Open to all opinions Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
13,000 (Firm)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MLmotorsport.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club?tu=MLmotorsport and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.