B4715AC8-F306-4AAA-B8D7-46C9433657BF (resized).jpeg
20240303_174324 (resized).jpg
totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 54.
#2001 3 years ago

Dang! The mega topper!! What features are the lights tied into?

#2002 3 years ago

Yeah that’s a nice double topper. I just have the sword (with 7 modes ). That 6 mode sword is bootleg, I’d send that back

#2003 3 years ago

Ya when I got it and looked at it was like... hmm missing a jewel. Also interesting that it’s the “official licensed topper” for totan according to planetary pinball and the small print on the topper. But it’s going back

#2004 3 years ago

Yeah that’s sketchy. Just show them the one from the prior page. Should be an easy case to win. They screwed up no doubt

#2005 3 years ago

Supposed to look like this, colors should match the same order as the PF

103667E9-F09A-47CE-9142-A75B3B835B23 (resized).jpeg103667E9-F09A-47CE-9142-A75B3B835B23 (resized).jpeg

#2006 3 years ago

Here is mine. Was on the machine when I got it. Uses the WH20/FT dome, lights and a back panel with what I assume is the typical sword/lights.

20210207_205005 (resized).jpg20210207_205005 (resized).jpg
#2008 3 years ago

Yeah much nicer that the plain ol sword. I might need to copy cat you

#2009 3 years ago

ive got a pile of the white plastic white water backers, who made the decals?

#2010 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah much nicer that the plain ol sword. I might need to copy cat you

Feel free! if you need any close up pics or more details let me know.

#2011 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

That one is really nice arcadenerd925

Thanks! i had no clue on all the add-ons this thing had until after I bought it, lol.

#2013 3 years ago

Decided to give my topper a little love, Originally was not going to keep it, but its growing on me.
Removed the lights and unglued the bases of the lamp sockets
FVJH3810 (resized).jpgFVJH3810 (resized).jpg

Then installed some gems in the holes, that previously the lamp sockets where mounted in
IMG_4347 (resized).jpegIMG_4347 (resized).jpeg

Finally re-mounted the lamp sockets and used bendies for the lights
IMG_4387 (resized).jpgIMG_4387 (resized).jpg
Untitled-1.gifUntitled-1.gif

If anyone else wants to do this let me know I have a bag of acrylic gems

#2014 3 years ago

Decided to give my topper a little love, Originally was not going to keep it, but its growing on me.
Removed the lights and unglued the bases of the lamp sockets
[quoted image]
Then installed some gems in the holes, that previously the lamp sockets where mounted in
[quoted image]
Finally re-mounted the lamp sockets and used bendies for the lights
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
If anyone else wants to do this let me know I have a bag of acrylic gems

Very Nice!
You may inspire me as well. I'll pm you about the Gems.
Way overdue. When I'm home in a couple hours I will get some pics of the super connector for my super topper.
I also pulled the plastic lamp and Got a Genie (oil Lamp) from Amazon.

#2015 3 years ago

New to the club... yesterday!

I have a few things to get through... Question #1. Can someone tell me where this "loose" part goes that somehow wasn't installed by the previous owner?

Much thanks!

(diode for scale only)

IMG_6970 (resized).jpgIMG_6970 (resized).jpg
#2016 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

New to the club... yesterday!
I have a few things to get through... Question #1. Can someone tell me where this "loose" part goes that somehow wasn't installed by the previous owner?
Much thanks!
(diode for scale only)
[quoted image]

Top of the ramp behind the vertical magnet. It guides the ball into magnet. Gives it a nudge.
Bad pic with glass on.

20210209_203400 (resized).jpg20210209_203400 (resized).jpg
#2017 3 years ago

Dang! The mega topper!! What features are the lights tied into?

Both toppers are in J-125. The ground for both is in J-121.

IMG_47341 (resized).jpgIMG_47341 (resized).jpgIMG_47351 (resized).jpgIMG_47351 (resized).jpgIMG_47361 (resized).jpgIMG_47361 (resized).jpg
#2018 3 years ago

I joined Dec 18th. Working on a sh0p job + a bit more. Quick question. Left of the Pop Bumpers, rubbers and 2 bulbs. The rubbers are 2.5 inch i believe.
This does not look right, due to flex in the rubbers, the ball eventually hits and bend/breaks the bulbs. I want to keep the illumination incandescent, but its clear the bulbs will break over time (for the time being put a few leds). Is this correct, or am i missing something. If this is correct, its one hell of a bad design.

IMG_3035 (resized).jpgIMG_3035 (resized).jpg
#2019 3 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

I joined Dec 18th. Working on a sh0p job + a bit more. Quick question. Left of the Pop Bumpers, rubbers and 2 bulbs. The rubbers are 2.5 inch i believe.
This does not look right, due to flex in the rubbers, the ball eventually hits and bend/breaks the bulbs. I want to keep the illumination incandescent, but its clear the bulbs will break over time (for the time being put a few leds). Is this correct, or am i missing something. If this is correct, its one hell of a bad design.
[quoted image]

It looks right as It was designed, but on my machine I solved the broken bulb problem by using the next size smaller ring, and I doubled up the ring on the same posts. (Installed two rings). You are correct that those bulbs break all the time and a routed machine will always have those bulbs missing the glass and hopefully not shorting because of the difficulty accessing them under the ramps.

Check the bulbs under the genie lamp too...

#2020 3 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

[quoted image]

Mark’s ring size and the doubling up of them works great

#2021 3 years ago

Thanks. I already put a slighly smaller ring, and will leave the plastic leds in (this spot only).

Anyone have the right in lane plastic, and the plastic that reaches around the genie? I need just these two, and dont want to buy a complete set.

IMG_3034 (resized).jpgIMG_3034 (resized).jpgtotan-plastic-24-mop_kopie (resized).pngtotan-plastic-24-mop_kopie (resized).png
#2022 3 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Thanks. I already put a slighly smaller ring, and will leave the plastic leds in (this spot only).
Anyone have the right in lane plastic, and the plastic that reaches around the genie? I need just these two, and dont want to buy a complete set.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I might have the right in lane plastic. I’ll look when I get home along with the TZ plastics I was suppose to look for LOL

#2023 3 years ago

I just got one too, and also disappointed. Linking to the BAZAAR letters adds little to game interest. However, the quality is excellent. I’ve requested that Planetary update their description of this to be accurate. I found a matching clear dome from Pinball life to add a 7th lamp, and I plan to “mod the mod” and rewire the Molex to work with the Tale socket. I also suggested that they get the manufacturer Pedretti to make this correctly. -gb

So... just got this topper and think it’s going back. Little confused on th design decision here... the game has 7 modes... 7 gems, this sword has 6. I also was looking at some diagrams and videos and noticed this wires into the bazaar lamps?? Very disappointing as it’s a very well made topper, but that means nothing if it doesn’t function well ??
[quoted image]

#2024 3 years ago

Right on gb let us know how it turns out!

#2025 3 years ago

I decided to repaint my genie last night.

Now I just need to find a nice way to light him when I stick him back in the pin. Has anyone had good luck with adding a spotlight to make him look more dramatic? If so, where did you hide the spot, and what color did you use?

IMG_7009D (resized).jpgIMG_7009D (resized).jpgIMG_7011 (resized).jpgIMG_7011 (resized).jpg

#2026 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Now I just need to find a nice way to light him when I stick him back in the pin. Has anyone had good luck with adding a spotlight to make him look more dramatic? If so, where did you hide the spot, and what color did you use?

I put a lamp shining on him to light him up..

#2027 3 years ago
Quoted from gb:

I just got one too, and also disappointed. Linking to the BAZAAR letters adds little to game interest. However, the quality is excellent. I’ve requested that Planetary update their description of this to be accurate. I found a matching clear dome from Pinball life to add a 7th lamp, and I plan to “mod the mod” and rewire the Molex to work with the Tale socket. I also suggested that they get the manufacturer Pedretti to make this correctly. -gb

Quoted from EStroh:

A few years ago, I went through a phase when I created 5 or 6 hand-painted, custom show car quality genies. I was buying them for $40 a piece and hand finishing them for myself with many different shades of blue (I used a total of 8 different spray blues over that time). I ended up giving a few away each time I wanted to try another 'finish'. I used various color bases and complexity of automotive paint and painting techniques including metallic sheen effects and multi-layer clear-coats. They all came out great and loved the look of each. But there was always an idea in the back of my mind of making a rubber mold of the factory genie, and they using a vinyl casting compound to create a TRANSLUCENT blue genie from the mold, then adding the hand-painted details (black, gold, silver). I imagined that lighting him up would be done from the INSIDE using the existing flasher wiring but perhaps adding a few extra bulbs to make the whole thing light up (or fade on/off if I added a resistor and capacitor to the circuit)... Sounds like alot of work, but I expect it would have just been a 6 hour project and it would have been stunning.

I thought about it for a long time and then when I finally had the priority to try it a few years ago, the reason I did not try it was the cost of molding/casting products has risen so much! It would have been well over $100 to 'try' this and see how it worked or a wasted $100 if it failed. After 15 years of thinking about doing this, I never got to it before I sold my machine last fall (which included my finest custom genie!)

#2028 3 years ago

So I was playing my TOTAN tonight and the ball fell off the ramp because it didn’t have enough power to make the fireball magnet and it fell behind the Genie and got stuck. Is there a plastic behind the Genie or something I am missing?

#2029 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

So I was playing my TOTAN tonight and the ball fell off the ramp because it didn’t have enough power to make the fireball magnet and it fell behind the Genie and got stuck. Is there a plastic behind the Genie or something I am missing?

There is supposed to to be a plastic behind the Genie. It often breaks off of the front part of the plastic.

86499A91-D572-4B42-BB86-BD5C01CCD96F (resized).jpeg86499A91-D572-4B42-BB86-BD5C01CCD96F (resized).jpeg
#2030 3 years ago

SWITCH AND LAMP MATRIX SHEET. Does anyone know a source for getting a fresh copy of the sheet that is stapled to bottom of the cabinet on TOTAN?
-gb

#2031 3 years ago
Quoted from gb:

SWITCH AND LAMP MATRIX SHEET. Does anyone know a source for getting a fresh copy of the sheet that is stapled to bottom of the cabinet on TOTAN?
-gb

Hard to believe, but TOTAN was released BEFORE electronic layout files like PDF were used by 99% of the world. Things were alot harder back then and manuals had to be created by artists and couldn't really be shared electronically very easily. (Hence, it's hard to find clean copies of the original material instead of the electronic scans of original pages). The 2 scanned pages you seek are shown below.

Tales_Of_The_Arabian_Nights_PAG 118+120.pdfTales_Of_The_Arabian_Nights_PAG 118+120.pdf
#2032 3 years ago
Quoted from gb:

-gb

This one?
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Williams_Tales_of_the_Arabian_Nights_Tech_Chart.pdf

#2033 3 years ago

Yes caffeine slug - that's the one! The tech chart - I didn't know what to call it. Now to figure out where/how to print it to the exact size.. Thanks a bunch.
-gb

#2034 3 years ago

Getting ready to put in some orders for a thorough shop job on my new-to-me TOTAN and I'm stuck at lighting. I want to start from scratch and probably just do a fairly simple scheme for the sake of ease. I've searched this thread and see preferences vary but tend to be on the dark side. My game room is usually quite dark when playing pins so I might like to keep it on lighter side to see the playfield and ball more easily. I got GI OCD to help with the dimming effect (GI currently blinks badly when dimming). Will I regret just going with warm white frosted on everything - maybe natural white, or sunlight? Are there any inserts that won't look good with white backlight? I do see that some are lighting "BAZAAR" with yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, red which I'll probably try. Also, any estimate on the number of wedge, bayonette, flashers, etc that I'll need? I dont have my machine with me or I'd be able to count them.

While I'm at it - purple (multicolor?) perfect play rubber all around? Worth it? I haven't tried them yet but it would be certainly be easier to just buy a regular set of rings pre-packaged for this game especially not having the pin here with me.
Open to all opinions Thanks!

#2035 3 years ago

First off, it’s all personal preference. TOTAN is one of the pins IMO that looks good when it looks dark like looking into a swimming pool at night. I did put some frosted closer to me but everything else is a highlight of the existing insert colors. I think I did cyan in the genie smoke and yellow in the bizarre, every non ghosting of course.

I personally don’t like bright leds, but some people do.

Out of all the pins I have, this one has the most attractive of all. People that visit gravitate to it from the lighting. Here is mine. Again, my personal preference but maybe not for others. Buy a bunch of comets and experiment till it feels right for you

34230FFB-523A-4206-A7D1-A6632D048738.jpeg34230FFB-523A-4206-A7D1-A6632D048738.jpeg
#2036 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I was lucky to find a TOTAN with the genie modified to have lit eyes and red glowing ball in his hand. Lights up only when genie is hit or activated in a mode.

8E34B790-E235-4198-AE88-C8661BC3B8C2 (resized).jpeg8E34B790-E235-4198-AE88-C8661BC3B8C2 (resized).jpeg
#2037 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I was lucky to find a TOTAN with the genie modified to have lit eyes and red glowing ball in his hand. Lights up only when genie is hit or activated in a mode.
[quoted image]

Had one on mine when I owned a Totan.
Biglaw was the first to come up with this.

#2038 3 years ago

Funny I was just thinking of doing this to mine. How is the wire run, just down the back of is the genie arm been drilled out to run the wire internally?

#2039 3 years ago

And the Genie modding begins. Bought a spare (in case I mess up). Starting with the eyes and also going to 3d print a fireball for the hand
First Used a small hobby knife to open up the back of the eye sockets
3d-108 (resized).jpg3d-108 (resized).jpg
3d-107 (resized).jpg3d-107 (resized).jpg

Then used two leds and a 220 resistor on each (could have also used a single 110 at the joining point but didn't have one)
3d-106 (resized).jpg3d-106 (resized).jpg

Made a little harness and two extra leads for the fireball that will get wired in later
3d-105 (resized).jpg3d-105 (resized).jpg

finished harness and socket adapter.
3d-103 (resized).jpg3d-103 (resized).jpg

Boom.
3d-104 (resized).jpg3d-104 (resized).jpg

Was curious to see blue, so made a whole other one. That being said anyone need a red eyes mod for your genie ready to go I have one.
3d-102 (resized).jpg3d-102 (resized).jpg

#2040 3 years ago

And the Genie modding begins. Bought a spare (in case I mess up). Starting with the eyes and also going to 3d print a fireball for the hand
First Used a small hobby knife to open up the back of the eye sockets
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Then used two leds and a 220 resistor on each (could have also used a single 110 at the joining point but didn't have one)
[quoted image]
Made a little harness and two extra leads for the fireball that will get wired in later
[quoted image]
finished harness and socket adapter.
[quoted image]
Boom.
[quoted image]
Was curious to see blue, so made a whole other one. That being said anyone need a red eyes mod for your genie ready to go I have one.
[quoted image]

Looks great! I like that you kept the "smoke" blue that creates the genie. What are you planning on using for a source, the "jackpot" 555 bulb?

#2041 3 years ago

thanks @estroh... Ya i go back and forth on painting this guy. Part of me wants to just give his hair some highlights and use a black wash on the smoke just to give it a little contrast... but subtle.

#2042 3 years ago

thanks estroh... Ya i go back and forth on painting this guy. Part of me wants to just give his hair some highlights and use a black wash on the smoke just to give it a little contrast... but subtle.

Consider painting the waist cloth wrap, the earring and the pony-tail clasp by hand in Gold. If you do decide to paint, I strongly recommend FIRST applying Duplicolor paint adhesion promoter spray (amazon $12) , then apply whatever paint you like, and follow it with a couple coats of auto-grade clear-coat. (On mine, I also added a few streaks of silver to the hair)

#2043 3 years ago

Thanks Markharris2000 good points. I have an airbrush, primers, paints you name it. I use to paint miniatures quite a bit. I'm torn on the waist part. I was actually thinking a desaturated red. For clear I think I am going to to a matte, instead of a gloss.

To be honest I am still confused if that is supposed to be smoke ( like he is coming out of the bottle) or a waist wrap ??? If you look at the cabinet art... its smoke...
s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

Thoughts?

This would be a wrap:

34f3807d8e588f8ac2095f47e740c923 (resized).png34f3807d8e588f8ac2095f47e740c923 (resized).png

#2044 3 years ago

Thanks markharris2000 good points. I have an airbrush, primers, paints you name it. I use to paint miniatures quite a bit. I'm torn on the waist part. I was actually thinking a desaturated red. For clear I think I am going to to a matte, instead of a gloss.
To be honest I am still confused if that is supposed to be smoke ( like he is coming out of the bottle) or a waist wrap ??? If you look at the cabinet art... its smoke...
[quoted image]
Thoughts?
This would be a wrap:
[quoted image]

I think it’s smoke. I experimented with this too. This is my final thing I painted.

229B7A38-F957-4EC1-B222-9C94F05E1915 (resized).jpeg229B7A38-F957-4EC1-B222-9C94F05E1915 (resized).jpeg
#2045 3 years ago

Nailed it! @green-machine. Did you repaint the whole genie or just areas and then clear it?

#2046 3 years ago

But look how nice it looks with some 'flair'!!!! LOL...

(Gold trim, Metallic blues, gloss clears)

IMG_0280a (resized).jpgIMG_0280a (resized).jpg
#2047 3 years ago

Nailed it! green-machine. Did you repaint the whole genie or just areas and then clear it?

Love the name @soulrider911. Thanks! I sent you a text

#2048 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

But look how nice it looks with some 'flair'!!!! LOL...
(Gold trim, Metallic blues, gloss clears)
[quoted image]

The Rick Flair of genies! That blue would look good on my 70’ Cuda

#2049 3 years ago

I think he needs a pinball im his hand like the multiball animation!

Quoted from Green-Machine:

#2050 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Making those genies has become a personal adventure... I had 4-5 on my machine over the years. And I have passed some of those on to other TOTAN owners as I made a new one.

That said, I now own nearly every shade of blue spray, from classic genie blue to every flavor of lagoon and classic blue. I have metallic shimmer clear coats, and several shades of gold and silver accent paint. In the process, I found something called "Adhesion Promoter" which if you have never tried it, do! It allows nearly any surface to be painted and stick.

The genie itself, which on a fresh machine is aladdin blue like in the movies. Light but full bodied blue. This bright light blue dulls and gets a green/grey tint on a heavily routed machine. After I degrease older genies, and apply adhesion promoter, I start with a base aladdin blue and then add depth using other shades. I find the genies look best when I mix a couple of the shades of blue carefully. Looks richer...

Now that I don't have the machine any longer, I think my artistry might be drawing to a close...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
$ 119.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 54.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club/page/41?hl=markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.