B4715AC8-F306-4AAA-B8D7-46C9433657BF (resized).jpeg
20240303_174324 (resized).jpg
totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 54.
#1801 3 years ago

So no one has been able to recreate the gold lamp at a better price? I tried gold paint a few years ago. Not much better. Looks like you have to
Dip it in real gold .

#1802 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Finished my apron and added mirror blades today
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks nice... I see you also swapped the genie lamp base to the purple version. I like the purple and it seems to match a few of the other purple features (like the outhole just to its left). About the only thing left for you to do is the ColorDMD upgrade, but even without it, sweet...

#1803 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Looks nice... I see you also swapped the genie lamp base to the purple version. I like the purple and it seems to match a few of the other purple features (like the outhole just to its left). About the only thing left for you to do is the ColorDMD upgrade, but even without it, sweet...

Thank you! Yes colorDMD is on my wish list

#1804 3 years ago

who sells the purple base?

#1805 3 years ago

Iron Maiden Premium for TOTAN...

#1806 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

who sells the purple base?

PPS in NV has the red, clear and purple versions. About $20 each I think

#1807 3 years ago

Joined the club today, finally after looking for a nice one for months. This is a special game. It’s obvious the first time you plunge the ball. They don’t make them like this anymore. That ramp is bonkers!

B80B0432-2955-499D-A344-E2753DFA7A49 (resized).jpegB80B0432-2955-499D-A344-E2753DFA7A49 (resized).jpegF868F352-E47C-4D99-B856-DC0047823190 (resized).jpegF868F352-E47C-4D99-B856-DC0047823190 (resized).jpeg
#1808 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Joined the club today, finally after looking for a nice one for months. This is a special game. It’s obvious the first time you plunge the ball. They don’t make them like this anymore. That ramp is bonkers!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations. The GOAT Pin...

#1809 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club!

#1810 3 years ago

Looks like a great shape machine. You'll really enjoy it. Check out all of the bulbs... many are hard to gain access to so they are left blown out for years. You can replace many from the underside if needed. Also, check the plastics to see if/where they are cracked. Most of the plastics are still available as NOS. Also, see if the two Newton balls are loose. The ball usually becomes unthreaded from the post and needs to be replaced. $8 parts, but harder to replace. Check the tiger-run magnet post and see if it is smooth surface. It may need to be re-worked (I used the TwilightZone post to replace it much better). Lastly, check all the rubber. Some of the harder places to change are left alone to deteriorate (upper right corner for instance).

If you need help, this thread of owners has solved nearly every issue you might find.

#1811 3 years ago

#1812 3 years ago

Looks like a great shape machine. You'll really enjoy it. Check out all of the bulbs... many are hard to gain access to so they are left blown out for years. You can replace many from the underside if needed. Also, check the plastics to see if/where they are cracked. Most of the plastics are still available as NOS. Also, see if the two Newton balls are loose. The ball usually becomes unthreaded from the post and needs to be replaced. $8 parts, but harder to replace. Check the tiger-run magnet post and see if it is smooth surface. It may need to be re-worked (I used the TwilightZone post to replace it much better). Lastly, check all the rubber. Some of the harder places to change are left alone to deteriorate (upper right corner for instance).
If you need help, this thread of owners has solved nearly every issue you might find.

Thanks! This one was a partial restore about 3 years ago, with CPR gold pf and all new ramps, mechs, plastics and rubber. So I just need to add Cliffys and update a few things to my taste. The cabinet is clean with very little wear so that wasn’t restored. So far it’s a great pin. The spinning lamp base wasn’t flush with the pf, and the tiger magnet was too low too. The ball was getting stuck on it. I adjusted them both and it’s playing well now. I got 6 of 7 jewels. Great game with plenty to do, but still feels like the end is feasible without packing a lunch. Fantastic ramp with so many diverters and loops!

#1813 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks! This one was a partial restore about 3 years ago, with CPR gold pf and all new ramps, mechs, plastics and rubber. So I just need to add Cliffys and update a few things to my taste. The cabinet is clean with very little wear so that wasn’t restored. So far it’s a great pin. The spinning lamp base wasn’t flush with the pf, and the tiger magnet was too low too. The ball was getting stuck on it. I adjusted them both and it’s playing well now. I got 6 of 7 jewels. Great game with plenty to do, but still feels like the end is feasible without packing a lunch. Fantastic ramp with so many diverters and loops!

I almost bought that machine . Very very nice. Love the gold lamp. Looks diff then the one pinball decals sells.

#1814 3 years ago

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
Used, fair condition - “Not new but solid original swirl ramp. Habit trails Include! Decal looks good. One very small crack on a no attachment point. (See pics) The ramp flap is a bit rough. Free flame po...”
2020-10-19
Dayton, OH
45 (OBO)
Archived after: 2 days
Viewed: 25 times

#1815 3 years ago

I just listed my TOTAN, sorry to leave the club. I have a good one.

1 week later
#1816 3 years ago

Just picked up a nice HUO TOTAN yesterday. Really nice condition just needs my LED treatment and a cleaning. ColorDMD and topper. Can't wait to put some play time on it! I'm going to order the cliff protectors for it. Any other cool mods/options? Seems like there is a ton of programming in this one. One of my grail pins.

50553576398_e3e39bc7ca_o (resized).jpg50553576398_e3e39bc7ca_o (resized).jpg
#1817 3 years ago

Joined the club yesterday with a pretty tired operated pin. Very faded and nearly every insert art is missing. Luckily it came with a new playfield and set of decals.
Really looking forward to restoring this one.

B431372B-900B-4CF9-B69F-426DA21144F4 (resized).jpegB431372B-900B-4CF9-B69F-426DA21144F4 (resized).jpeg24BF5784-16B0-49E7-8955-5DD22184808F (resized).jpeg24BF5784-16B0-49E7-8955-5DD22184808F (resized).jpeg136D1BC8-20A2-4591-ABA0-E59D1A6B5093 (resized).jpeg136D1BC8-20A2-4591-ABA0-E59D1A6B5093 (resized).jpegA09BAFC2-96A3-415A-B4C4-509D7534667E (resized).jpegA09BAFC2-96A3-415A-B4C4-509D7534667E (resized).jpeg
#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Just picked up a nice HUO TOTAN yesterday. Really nice condition just needs my LED treatment and a cleaning. ColorDMD and topper. Can't wait to put some play time on it! I'm going to order the cliff protectors for it. Any other cool mods/options? Seems like there is a ton of programming in this one. One of my grail pins.
[quoted image]

There are a dozen mods 'for it' which really are not. They mostly include various vinyl figures like a skeleton or cobra etc that just sit in a few blank places and several of them look like an add-on and can be distracting. As for actual mods made for the machine, there is a lighted scitar sword for the ball shooter area ($90), there is a gold plated lamp ($175), there are replacement lamp spinning disks in purple and clear ($20), and hand painted genies exist ($35-75).

Note: be careful with adding LEDs to it just yet. The dimming is used pretty extensively throughout so LEDs to be effective would also need the OCD type control boards to mimic the dimming.

Recommendation: Before you jump into mods, start with assuring the bazaar scoop, skill-shot bracket, tiger-loop magnetic post and all three clear ramps are updated/cleaned/replaced. Those usually take a beating in this machine. The wood around the left outhole can be pretty raw so fixing and adding a decal ($15) may make sense too before you add the outhole cliffy protector. There are also a number of bulbs that are really hard to get to, so they likely burned out years ago and were never replaced (like all of them under the spinning lamp disk and many in the upper right corner for instance)

#1819 3 years ago

I added the cliffy to the right scoop hole and tried everything to make it work....The ball would get stuck coming out of the the hole. So I left uninstalled.

My scoop looks brand new and just put mylar around it...still looks great.

P.S. My wifes Fav, I hated it....but now I love it!!!!

#1820 3 years ago

There are a dozen mods 'for it' which really are not. They mostly include various vinyl figures like a skeleton or cobra etc that just sit in a few blank places and several of them look like an add-on and can be distracting. As for actual mods made for the machine, there is a lighted scitar sword for the ball shooter area ($90), there is a gold plated lamp ($175), there are replacement lamp spinning disks in purple and clear ($20), and hand painted genies exist ($35-75).
Note: be careful with adding LEDs to it just yet. The dimming is used pretty extensively throughout so LEDs to be effective would also need the OCD type control boards to mimic the dimming.
Recommendation: Before you jump into mods, start with assuring the bazaar scoop, skill-shot bracket, tiger-loop magnetic post and all three clear ramps are updated/cleaned/replaced. Those usually take a beating in this machine. The wood around the left outhole can be pretty raw so fixing and adding a decal ($15) may make sense too before you add the outhole cliffy protector. There are also a number of bulbs that are really hard to get to, so they likely burned out years ago and were never replaced (like all of them under the spinning lamp disk and many in the upper right corner for instance)

Well I can tell we are on the same page! I'm not into the "toys" at all. Gaudy and distracting like you mentioned. I got a TAF for free (friend died) and it was loaded with toys. I was tearing them off for weeks. I guess I meant what mods are helpful to making it work the best it can and protect it. This was a home use only since new example so lucky, all the wear spots I've seen noticed are very minimal if any at all. Cabinet art looks vibrant and new. I also saw those lamps under the spinning lamp and they are working but when the guy LED'd the game he left those as bulbs still. I wrestled with it a little bit and gave up for now. I keep lifting the playfield and tweaking the led selection meanwhile looking around but it's hard to keep that playfield up long as I want to play it as well! Cliffy's will be ordered for sure. He's usually my first stop on any game I've owned/own. NVram will also be first think. It's got a remote battery mount thankfully but I try to keep all batteries out of my games. I might do the new gold armor on this one not sure yet. It's so nice the cabinet it almost deserves it. But thanks for the tips! I'll post up the things I do it it.

#1821 3 years ago

Oh here is my latest line up with TOTAN now

LINEUP2020 (resized).jpgLINEUP2020 (resized).jpg
#1822 3 years ago

One other thing to mention, the LED's were freaking out when I got it. I turned off all the dimming features in the menu that stops that low level flickering but I might do the OCD board on this one just to see how that looks as well.

#1823 3 years ago

I really like the sword topper I made several years ago (bottom sword in pic). However, I made a prototype sword (top sword in pic) based on the sword image from DMD display. Any thoughts?

Currently, I have the opinion of "its not horrible but pretty close".

20201025_140323 (resized).jpg20201025_140323 (resized).jpg20201101_143044 (resized).jpg20201101_143044 (resized).jpg
#1824 3 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I really like the sword topper I made several years ago (bottom sword in pic). However, I made a prototype sword (top sword in pic) based on the sword image from DMD display. Any thoughts?
Currently, I have the opinion of "its not horrible but pretty close". [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice option but I think I like the sword lay out on the topper only because it matches the PF layout.

#1825 3 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

[quoted image]

Welcome and congrats! I just joined a couple weeks ago myself and I love this pin. The design is just clever as hell. The use of diverters and the innovative mechs make this game stand out in any collection. I understand why this game is such a grail pin for many collectors now. It really needs no mods. But you can change or upgrade a few things. I went with the purple base for the spinning lamp. I don’t know if I have the upgraded bazaar scoop, but since my example was restored only about 3 years ago, I’m going to guess yes.

Enjoy your new game, and that’s a sweet lineup you have!

#1826 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Welcome and congrats! I just joined a couple weeks ago myself and I love this pin. The design is just clever as hell. The use of diverters and the innovative mechs make this game stand out in any collection. I understand why this game is such a grail pin for many collectors now. It really needs no mods. But you can change or upgrade a few things. I went with the purple base for the spinning lamp. I don’t know if I have the upgraded bazaar scoop, but since my example was restored only about 3 years ago, I’m going to guess yes.
Enjoy your new game, and that’s a sweet lineup you have!

One word of caution when working on the spinning lamp base... It's quite easy to remove from the playfield, and clean the underside and edges (it will need this! Use 70% alcohol directly, followed by Novus) and replace bulbs, and even swap colors if you wish (PPS has all three colors for about $20 each), BUT when you re-assemble the bracket to the disk itself, it may take a few tries. The holes have some 'play' in them so the spinning disk can be noticeably off-center. Take your time and try to mount the bracket CENTERED to the disk. (It can be moved a little left or right, find the center). If you get it wrong, just 'rinse and repeat'. Also, make sure the post and bracket weld is solid. The main post can break at the weld, and the disk becomes very loose, making spin very rough. (The post bracket is available at Marco if you need to replace it.)

#1827 3 years ago

Question, If I have one ball locked and the other balls are in the trough, it seems to kick out 2 balls into the shooter lane. So you launch one and it's strike the genie for multiball. If I do strike him I can then shoot the other ball in the shooter lane. Just started doing this. I also noticed sometimes I'll drain on the left side and the right side ball save cage kicks up. Like it knows I drained just on the wrong side. Anyone run into something like that before?

#1828 3 years ago

Added some better LED's since I bought it. Had single SMD clear lens warm white. Seemed dull and dark. Went with cool white from Comet frosted 2 SMD much better! Also installed lighted flipper buttons from Pinball Life. One of my favorite easy to install mods. I mount the controller just to the left of the coin box along the back. Makes it nice and easy to get to. Plenty of wire for a clean hidden install as well. Cliffy protectors are the next install when they get here.

50577394793_016c331302_4k (resized).jpg50577394793_016c331302_4k (resized).jpg50577395313_d77cfda159_o (resized).jpg50577395313_d77cfda159_o (resized).jpg50578122281_19b24cdac7_o (resized).jpg50578122281_19b24cdac7_o (resized).jpg50578258517_c635b5f008_4k (resized).jpg50578258517_c635b5f008_4k (resized).jpg50578259252_c4cbb0e877_o (resized).jpg50578259252_c4cbb0e877_o (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1829 3 years ago

I saw they have a 50th anniversary sticker listed for TOTAN from Marco. Was this sticker on the actual pin when they were new? If so where was the 50th anniversary sticker located?

Sticker50th (resized).jpgSticker50th (resized).jpg
#1830 3 years ago

I got crickets when I started my TOTAN today. Just backbox lights and speakers hiss. That’s it, nothing else! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m mechanically inclined with repair knowledge. This is a problem I’ve never encountered and would love to know the path I should start at for troubleshooting

Thanks in advice

#1831 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I got crickets when I started my TOTAN today. Just backbox lights and speakers hiss. That’s it, nothing else! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m mechanically inclined with repair knowledge. This is a problem I’ve never encountered and would love to know the path I should start at for troubleshooting
Thanks in advice

Check every fuse first.
Sometimes just turning these games on will blow a fuse.

#1832 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Check every fuse first.
Sometimes just turning these games on will blow a fuse.

Thanks I’ll check after I’m back home from work.

#1833 3 years ago

I reseated the power supply to the MPU and is working fully now. More investigation is needed to see if and where power is being depleted.

1 week later
#1834 3 years ago

Did some work on TOTAN today.. Cliffy's installed, added a red bendie in the bazaar, new shooter rod spring and sleeve with a new Titan tip, new Titan rubbers on the lamp and posts, added some purple on top white on bottom Comet pop bumper discs but looks like one is defective , and waxed what I could get to and now the damn thing plays so fast I can't play it! Air ball central. Nothing like a fresh wax on the PF and ramps! I've seen people have issues with the Cliffy's but no issues with any of them. Everything works as it should. Such a fun game. Hard to work on it when all I want to do it play it!

50662384983_ebb063aa71_o (resized).jpg50662384983_ebb063aa71_o (resized).jpg50662422558_e7ccb40865_o (resized).jpg50662422558_e7ccb40865_o (resized).jpg50662422708_a1799e4e3f_o (resized).jpg50662422708_a1799e4e3f_o (resized).jpg50663161456_5a15d8def2_o (resized).jpg50663161456_5a15d8def2_o (resized).jpg50663161626_14d7583bf7_o (resized).jpg50663161626_14d7583bf7_o (resized).jpg50663208752_4407bef4c6_o (resized).jpg50663208752_4407bef4c6_o (resized).jpg50663246837_73031a8985_o (resized).jpg50663246837_73031a8985_o (resized).jpg
#1835 3 years ago

Hi TOTAN Fans!

I am trying to figure something out here...

When tournament mode is switched on, does your TOTAN display the scores correct, or messed up after your game is done?

Word on the street is that every TOTAN has this post game score bug and I want to know if someone found out what is causing this...
And maybe has a fix for this bug other than switching off tournament mode.

D1B75B18-39BD-41B4-AF65-67BAC7E52B6F (resized).jpegD1B75B18-39BD-41B4-AF65-67BAC7E52B6F (resized).jpeg
#1836 3 years ago
1 week later
#1837 3 years ago

Having some trouble with the diverter magnet on the ramp. In both the game and in solenoid test, the magnet energizes but it's weak - enough to move the ball, but not enough to pull it through the magnet. In test, the left loop flasher also turns on at the same time as the magnet. The game has a rottendog driver board.

Do these magnets actually go bad? I read some older threads related to magnets and flashers when a fuse is blown, but they're all ok here. Not sure what else to check before just buying another magnet and hoping that solves it.

#1838 3 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

Having some trouble with the diverter magnet on the ramp. In both the game and in solenoid test, the magnet energizes but it's weak - enough to move the ball, but not enough to pull it through the magnet. In test, the left loop flasher also turns on at the same time as the magnet. The game has a rottendog driver board.
Do these magnets actually go bad? I read some older threads related to magnets and flashers when a fuse is blown, but they're all ok here. Not sure what else to check before just buying another magnet and hoping that solves it.

I do not think magnets can go 'weak'. They are pretty binary. Works or doesn't. You also said that the flasher turns on, so it sounds like a wiring error possibly. Has someone worked on this or did it just stop working? Also, the magnet itself is not that powerful, so Williams added a stainless stell lifter bracket during production. Does your ramp have the stainlesss steel lifter bracket that was added by Williams? Earlier units may not have that bracket. It essentially lifts the ball up to the hole in the magnet so when energized, it is pulled in quite easily.

#1839 3 years ago

Also, the magnet itself is not that powerful, so Williams added a stainless stell lifter bracket during production. Does your ramp have the stainlesss steel lifter bracket that was added by Williams? Earlier units may not have that bracket. It essentially lifts the ball up to the hole in the magnet so when energized, it is pulled in quite easily.

I don't see anything like that, do you have a picture? That seems like it would solve the issue. I can't find a reference to it in the manual.

Edit: I see now that cliffy sells it, I'll pick one up from him. Found picture here: http://www.passionforpinball.com/totan.htm

#1840 3 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

I don't see anything like that, do you have a picture? That seems like it would solve the issue. I can't find a reference to it in the manual.
Edit: I see now that cliffy sells it, I'll pick one up from him. Found picture here: http://www.passionforpinball.com/totan.htm

That’s it!!! My machine has it, but Cliff's is the same part.

#1841 3 years ago

Alright recently picked up a TOTAN and tearing it down for a good deep cleaning. What is this part I am missing? I just removed a post in this position but from looking at others it seems to be a newton ball. Correct?

AD6D5F2C-5A1A-4E86-8A01-FC410C1EB828 (resized).jpegAD6D5F2C-5A1A-4E86-8A01-FC410C1EB828 (resized).jpeg
#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright recently picked up a TOTAN and tearing it down for a good deep cleaning. What is this part I am missing? I just removed a post in this position but from looking at others it seems to be a newton ball. Correct?[quoted image]

That's correct a Newton ball should be there.

#1843 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

That's correct a Newton ball should be there.

With a loose pinball between it and the target, just like the one on the RHS of the game under the clear ramp

EDIT: and, thats the wrong target switch- should be a narrow yellow one, like this:

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-parts/switches/target-switch-yellow-oblong-front-mount-a-18530-6/

#1844 3 years ago

Missing the plastic that attaches to the top of the skill shot tray (3 switches). Does anyone have a spare I can purchase?

Thanks.

#1845 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Missing the plastic that attaches to the top of the skill shot tray (3 switches). Does anyone have a spare I can purchase?
Thanks.

It's the clear piece of plexi with a metal bracket, correct?

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-plastics/playfield-plastics-single-plastics/tales-of-the-arabian-nights-skill-shot-clear-plastic-31-2562-3/
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-2562-3

(You'll have to make the metal bracket)

#1848 3 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

With a loose pinball between it and the target, just like the one on the RHS of the game under the clear ramp
EDIT: and, thats the wrong target switch- should be a narrow yellow one, like this:
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-parts/switches/target-switch-yellow-oblong-front-mount-a-18530-6/

Thanks guys! Didn't even noticed the wrong switch is installed too. lol I just ordered a bunch of parts so I be fixing all of this soon.

#1849 3 years ago

That plastic pops up every once in awhile on ebay, but usually in sets. pinball.center has repro's in stock, but with shipping probably $25 these days.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/tales-of-the-arabian-nights/3875/cobra-plastic-for-tales-of-the-arabian-nights
m

Thanks. I'll try and wait on ebay for a bit. Does Pinball Center ship to the US?

#1850 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Thanks. I'll try and wait on ebay for a bit. Does Pinball Center ship to the US?

I have new cobra plastic if that is what you need

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 119.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
There are 2,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 54.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club/page/37?hl=dewman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.