B4715AC8-F306-4AAA-B8D7-46C9433657BF (resized).jpeg
20240303_174324 (resized).jpg
totan (resized).jpg
IMG_1021 (resized).jpeg
20230731_200214 (resized).jpg
arabian-nights-cabinet-decal-set_orig (resized).png
IMG_1099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7272 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 54.
#1701 3 years ago

My Totan is nearing the end of a full restoration with new decals and playfield. Just been sent these pictures.

IMG-20200603-WA0004 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0004 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0005 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0005 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0003 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0003 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0014 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0014 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0007 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0007 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0010 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0010 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0013 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0013 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0011 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0011 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0012 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0012 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0015 (resized).jpgIMG-20200603-WA0015 (resized).jpg
#1702 3 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

My Totan is nearing the end of a full restoration with new decals and playfield. Just been sent these pictures.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice choice on the lamp spinning disc color

#1703 3 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks beautiful. Mirco or CPR pf?

#1704 3 years ago

It's a Mirco Playfield and I am really please with it.

1 month later
#1705 3 years ago

Just did a bunch of updates on my TOTAN: Swapped the tiger post with the TZ adjustable one, Cleaned and rebuilt the genie lamp, hand painted and clear coated the genie, installed a mantis trough, updated many of the 555/906 lamp sockets, rebuilt outholes and flippers, installed a ColorDMD screen, installed a new bazaar scoop, refinished the coindoor, replaced lockdown bar and cabinet mounted receiver, changed a handful of roll over micro switches, reflowed the circular contact surfaces on all lamp boards and finally put in G16 mirror finish balls and a new powder coated apron with decal applied. Whew...

Now I am getting ready to change all three of the plastic ramps and some picture plastics on top of the playfield and am a little intimidated due to all of the pieces involved that need to be removed all at the same time. I have taken Lots of pictures from lots of angles.

I would love to hear from anyone that has already done this ramps swap. Any tips or areas to be careful with would be helpful.

#1706 3 years ago

I did a CPR playfield swap a few years back. I would like to suggest taking extra notes or pictures of the hex spacers used on the ramps. It can be pretty confusing. If one is out of place, everything gets off. Also. this is the time for dealing g with plastics protectors, plastics, rubber and pops. They are all open.

1 week later
#1707 3 years ago

Hi guys. A couple of months ago I restored a TOTAN which involved a bunch of troubleshooting and interesting fixes. Read about it here if you are interested: https://www.afpinball.com/restorations/tales-of-the-arabian-nights

#1708 3 years ago

Thank you for the post. This will be a valuable resource.

1 week later
#1709 3 years ago

Joined the club finally I rubbed my Shiny lamp to find a German speaking Genie!

0541E1DA-E9F7-40DB-9C18-E74DB2F83C14 (resized).jpeg0541E1DA-E9F7-40DB-9C18-E74DB2F83C14 (resized).jpeg
I plan on replacing a few and adding a few things. Apron is a bit rough. Any suggestions on a new apron?

1 week later
#1710 3 years ago

Looking for help with my flashers. None are working. Thanks

#1711 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Looking for help with my flashers. None are working. Thanks

Did you check your fuses on the driver board?

#1712 3 years ago

Fuses are good. Only thing I found was one of my flasher sockets was busted. This caused the problem?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1713 3 years ago

Fuses are good. Only thing I found was one of my flasher sockets was busted. This caused the problem?
[quoted image]

Problem solved!

#1714 3 years ago

It would be nice If you could contribute to the forum by describing your experience and how you solved it.

#1715 3 years ago

I have an extra fully hand painted and clearcoated Genie I'd be willing to sell if someone wants it. I made two since I was in the mood to be crafty. I installed one on my TOTAN, and the other just sits... If someone has a real interest, let me know.
See it below or here (with some detail on what I did): https://ibb.co/pzkKD8d

IMG_1089 (resized).jpgIMG_1089 (resized).jpg
#1716 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I have an extra fully hand painted and clearcoated Genie I'd be willing to sell if someone wants it. I made two since I was in the mood to be crafty. I installed one on my TOTAN, and the other just sits... If someone has a real interest, let me know.
See it below or here (with some detail on what I did): https://ibb.co/pzkKD8d
[quoted image]

That looks great Mark!

#1717 3 years ago

That looks great Mark!

Can we see a picture of your TOTAN?

#1718 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

It would be nice If you could contribute to the forum by describing your experience and how you solved it.

I have just purchased my TOTAN In all the excitement of buying a new pen I did not notice that the flashers were not working.
The next day after I got at home I started tearing into it. I had plans on shopping it out and replacing plastics and apron. That’s when I noticed the flashers weren’t working.
With a little help from friends here on Pinside to help direct me for troubleshooting issues with lighting. I began the process. The fuses checked out good and all the solder joints looked good as well.
I decided to look through schematics and start tracing through everything. I found that a ribbon cable plugs into J101. Found it just slightly pulled out of the connection on one side. I pushed it in completely and Presto.

#1719 3 years ago

I have just purchased my TOTAN In all the excitement of buying a new pen I did not notice that the flashers were not working.
The next day after I got at home I started tearing into it. I had plans on shopping it out and replacing plastics and apron. That’s when I noticed the flashers weren’t working.
With a little help from friends here on Pinside to help direct me for troubleshooting issues with lighting. I began the process. The fuses checked out good and all the solder joints looked good as well.
I decided to look through schematics and start tracing through everything. I found that a ribbon cable plugs into J101. Found it just slightly pulled out of the connection on one side. I pushed it in completely and Presto.

After moving a game, it's always a good idea to press or reseat all plugs on the boards. I do this every time to save similar headaches.

Now kick the shit out of that Genie and smooch your princess!

#1720 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

After moving a game, it's always a good idea to press or reseat all plugs on the boards. I do this every time to save similar headaches.
Now kick the shit out of that Genie and smooch your princess!

Yes, I should know this. Thanks! Ha Ha I’ll do that

#1721 3 years ago

A few years back I totally rebuilt and put a new cpr Playfield, color dmd, laserrif
Topper, new plastics, protectors, & lots more. Anyone have an idea on price? New ramps,too.

#1722 3 years ago

Can we see a picture of your TOTAN?

I am in the process of swapping ALL three of the clear ramps on my machine, but will post pictures as soon as the operation is done... Swapping ramps is not for the faint of heart, and I have been taking pictures and writing down every screw and spacer in hopes of being able to put it back together without issues.

#1723 3 years ago

I am in the process of swapping ALL three of the clear ramps on my machine, but will post pictures as soon as the operation is done... Swapping ramps is not for the faint of heart, and I have been taking pictures and writing down every screw and spacer in hopes of being able to put it back together without issues.

Good to know! I’m thinking of getting a new swirl ramp because my flap is wrecked and I cannot find a new one anywhere

1 week later
#1724 3 years ago

I just took in a TOTAN in decent shape that is playing nicely except for one maddening problem - the ball path on the outer loop often misses the rear popup post entirely, leaving you stuck in Rocs mode indefinitely, unless you make a not-very-clean shot to the orbit. A perfect, fast loop actually speeds around just below the post. Seems like the transition between the metal ball guide and the rubber band post, but this isn't such an easy thing to try to tweak. Anyone else have this problem?

1 week later
#1725 3 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I just took in a TOTAN in decent shape that is playing nicely except for one maddening problem - the ball path on the outer loop often misses the rear popup post entirely, leaving you stuck in Rocs mode indefinitely, unless you make a not-very-clean shot to the orbit. A perfect, fast loop actually speeds around just below the post. Seems like the transition between the metal ball guide and the rubber band post, but this isn't such an easy thing to try to tweak. Anyone else have this problem?

There really isn't any adjustment in the back of the outer loop. Have you tried to slow motion video capture the path yo help see where specifically it is being deflected? Longshot: The rubber ring may be the wrong size (too big) and causing a bit too much width if not stretched tightly enough.

#1726 3 years ago

Looking to join the club in MD if anyone local is selling. I have Elvira and Wonka as trade bait

#1727 3 years ago

Thoughts on the Pinball decals gold plated genie lamp for $175? And has anyone tried to make one a little cheaper?

#1728 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thoughts on the Pinball decals gold plated genie lamp for $175? And has anyone tried to make one a little cheaper?

$175 seems excessive to me, but then again for any plated item, seems about right. The lamp base is $50-$60 itself, so add another $125 for plating and you arrive at your $175. That said, I think part of the charm of the game is the aged look of the lamp. If I were to also have Chris @hotrodplating plate the wire ramps, then perhaps the shiny gold combination would look good. But the original lamp seems to be fine with the aged gold 'patina'...

Alternative idea: If you want to make the lamp 'pop', then consider instead spending the time to remove the whole lamp assembly from the playfield, clean the spinning base (top surface, edges and underside) with alcohol and de-greaser, polish up the surface with some Novus, replace the lamps under the bracket which are nearly impossible to get to, and then re-assemble (carefully to get it centered!). It will be like a whole new lamp!

#1729 3 years ago

$175 seems excessive to me, but then again for any plated item, seems about right. The lamp base is $50-$60 itself, so add another $125 for plating and you arrive at your $175. That said, I think part of the charm of the game is the aged look of the lamp. If I were to also have Chris @hotrodplating plate the wire ramps, then perhaps the shiny gold combination would look good. But the original lamp seems to be fine with the aged gold 'patina'...
Alternative idea: If you want to make the lamp 'pop', then consider instead spending the time to remove the whole lamp assembly from the playfield, clean the spinning base (top surface, edges and underside) with alcohol and de-greaser, polish up the surface with some Novus, replace the lamps under the bracket which are nearly impossible to get to, and then re-assemble (carefully to get it centered!). It will be like a whole new lamp!

Thx. Good points. Now I’m afraid to clean it

#1730 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx. Good points. Now I’m afraid to clean it

It's really pretty easy to clean and re-install. Just a few screws unbolt it from the playfield. (And the spinning disk can even be swapped with a purple or clear repro disk if you like). The bulbs can be swapped while it is out. The genie lamp can be gently cleaned and the rubber posts can be changed while you are there (lots of colors available). The ONLY tricky part is to make sure to mount the spinning disk back on it's bracket so that it's centered. I put it together and then leave it finger tight, place it in the playfield, and then move it just a bit to be centered.... then remove from the playfield and tighten the bracket screws completely.

#1731 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I hadn't seen that one yet. That's exactly what I wanted so I'll be buying one soon. I did all new playfield brass parts but didn't do the lamp because I didn't like the straight brass one. I was already thinking of ordering the brass one and reaching out to one of these other moders like Mod Father to do just that and give it black accents but here it is already done. Thanks again I'll be buying one.

#1732 3 years ago

It's really pretty easy to clean and re-install. Just a few screws unbolt it from the playfield. (And the spinning disk can even be swapped with a purple or clear repro disk if you like). The bulbs can be swapped while it is out. The genie lamp can be gently cleaned and the rubber posts can be changed while you are there (lots of colors available). The ONLY tricky part is to make sure to mount the spinning disk back on it's bracket so that it's centered. I put it together and then leave it finger tight, place it in the playfield, and then move it just a bit to be centered.... then remove from the playfield and tighten the bracket screws completely.

thx. may try this.

#1733 3 years ago

Guys, I’ve owned my TOTAN for six years and yesterday I discovered something I’ve never seen before.

For the first time ever I made three Tiger Loops in a row and it gave me a special fanfare and point bonus. I also think there was a graphic on the DMD, but it happened really fast.

Has anyone come across this?

#1734 3 years ago

I’ve noticed not all playfields have this...what is the story with this. I can assume but have never heard about it.

09710133-5407-4998-BA84-3B8E2CB3B9AF (resized).jpeg09710133-5407-4998-BA84-3B8E2CB3B9AF (resized).jpeg
#1735 3 years ago

I’ve noticed not all playfields have this...what is the story with this

oooooh mystery switch hole. i dont have one of those.

#1736 3 years ago

I’ve noticed not all playfields have this...what is the story with this. I can assume but have never heard about it.
[quoted image]

I got a CPR, I don’t have that, either. Strange.

#1737 3 years ago
Quoted from Initiative:

oooooh mystery switch hole. i dont have one of those.

Early run I suppose!?!?

#1738 3 years ago

I have these left from when I was in the club, they are NOS Williams. PM if interested.

BB09604D-E562-466A-84D4-EA12CBD29E95 (resized).jpegBB09604D-E562-466A-84D4-EA12CBD29E95 (resized).jpeg

#1739 3 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

I have these left from when I was in the club, they are NOS Williams. PM if interested.
[quoted image]

Should have sent these with the topper! I could have used them. haha

#1740 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

What does the official topper look like? The totan I am looking at has the sword mounted on An Upside acrylic cup

#1741 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

What does the official topper look like? The totan I am looking at has the sword mounted on An Upside acrylic cup

Sorry for the confusion. I was referencing another deal we did for a topper on a different machine.

#1742 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Sorry, I just unearthed them now!

#1743 3 years ago

Team TOTAN, I’m looking to purchase a very clean TOTAN for my home (will be my very first TOTAN). Please let me know if any leads. Appreciate it much! Jason

#1744 3 years ago
Quoted from Chooga:

Team TOTAN, I’m looking to purchase a very clean TOTAN for my home (will be my very first TOTAN). Please let me know if any leads. Appreciate it much! Jason

As long as you don’t live on this corner

13BA8452-9A70-426A-80FD-65A548107E89 (resized).jpeg13BA8452-9A70-426A-80FD-65A548107E89 (resized).jpeg
#1745 3 years ago

I jazzed up my Genie

FEFC5C78-5DBE-42C2-98E5-28BD02C64A9B (resized).jpegFEFC5C78-5DBE-42C2-98E5-28BD02C64A9B (resized).jpeg
#1746 3 years ago

That Genie is a funny toy. I have sourced a bunch of them supplied as NOS and REPRO. They are all different colors and materials. I myself have painted half a dozen custom genies for my machine and for a few friends. (see post 1715 for one I did in the summer). It's alot of work to do right. What I realized is the choice of BLUE can vary widely based on personal taste. I have made a few in the 'disney blue' to closely match the aladdin genie from the movies, and some in the lagoon blue (which matches the minaret seen on the back decal behind the genie in the game itself). For all of mine, here's the steps:
1. I tape off most of the black areas being very careful not to accidently cover any of the blue areas. Not perfectly covering all of the black areas is ok.
2. then use an automotive paint adhesion promoter spray and apply two coats, a few minutes apart
3. then spray on a base coat of Rustoleum 'sail blue'
4. then after a few minutes add a two coats of the blue of choice being careful not to apply too thick
5. then a light dusting of testors two-tone metallic blue for sparkle
6. I remove the tape and let dry a couple of days
7. repaint the black areas by hand with testors gloss black. Using a very small brush on eyebrows and beard area and where hair meets blue areas.
8. I think use my fingertips with some testors silver to put highlights into the hair
8. then the bottom fabric pants area, the gold erring, and the hair rings by hand with testors metallic gold.
9. I let that dry a few hours and then topcoat with two coats of clear and let dry for a week.

If this seems like too much work, it is, but I did it for fun. Simpler path for most folks: MODFATHER will do it for you as an exchange...

#1747 3 years ago

Hello TOTAN peeps. I had a ramp diverter coil burn out and I replaced it with a new one from Marcos (AE-30-2000)

It’s not firing. The diverter moves freely if I move it manually.

I show 73v & 72.5v respectively on each lead when running the #21 solenoid test

Bad coil from Marcos?

191D0A0C-3927-4D3B-82BD-E9627EFFC406 (resized).jpeg191D0A0C-3927-4D3B-82BD-E9627EFFC406 (resized).jpegD6E10DDC-43D7-4AFA-BE89-02D47A21316E (resized).jpegD6E10DDC-43D7-4AFA-BE89-02D47A21316E (resized).jpeg
#1748 3 years ago

Found this stuff which can go along with the NOS plastics that I listed earlier.

E5BA192C-B6B3-4784-81DB-CD593D19E38D (resized).jpegE5BA192C-B6B3-4784-81DB-CD593D19E38D (resized).jpeg
#1749 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

I show 73v & 72.5v respectively on each lead when running the #21 solenoid test

You should see the driver side of the coil (thinner wire) drop to ground in regular intervals when on the test and it is set to repeat. The power side of the coil (thicker wires) should not change, and should be constant voltage.

If you are getting no pulse, something is bad between coil and driver. (Transistor, broken wore, etc.

Considering the previous coil burnt, likely your driver locked on and shorted itself ded.

#1750 3 years ago

Could someone please tell me where this plastic goes?

2D89B838-A9C0-47C7-82B1-80AB8BC8CB77 (resized).jpeg2D89B838-A9C0-47C7-82B1-80AB8BC8CB77 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 37.50
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 36.95
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 84.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
There are 2,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 54.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-club/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.