Topic Stats

• 1,496 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by wolfemaaan
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 771 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ADF3D8EA-E0AC-40F6-B40F-B11FF3E0FAB8 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
97918D7F-28B8-4C5A-9761-16517BA259BA (resized).jpeg
E05D6FBE-42E4-47D5-8431-F5430F8EE3FF (resized).jpeg
1FDEA532-D338-4DAD-B5EE-06AFD92B3AF2 (resized).jpeg
3315B7CC-B947-47C7-9A2B-DAB436ECBD6A (resized).jpeg
C98FC744-DCCC-41F6-AA0A-91F58850DA2D (resized).jpeg
Mystic (resized).jpg
FGSF2425 (resized).JPG
AXEZ2388 (resized).JPG
left loop lock (resized).JPG
3 positions (resized).JPG
C5A45D1A-B2AD-44A6-AC05-EBA4F3F2DFF4 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
9A7AF629-224F-48E0-884B-45200FDE28F6 (resized).jpeg
35D5CC84-3EB5-4922-ABAB-43B021DE0440 (resized).jpeg

There are 1496 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 30.
#1051 1 year ago

OK, so I've done the legs and siderails. The lockdown bar is currently being shipped from New Jersey, and I'll be away for 3 weeks soon so I won't be able to post an update until I get back. This is my TOTAN before I replaced the legs and siderails.
505d6ca037d5fa50ae818ef73ac9b4 (resized).jpg
This is it now with the new siderails and legs.
IMG_5206 (resized).jpg
As you can see, although the gold wasn't a bad colour, but nothing beats that polished shine that powdercoating won't give you. So eager to get thar lockdown bar right now...
IMG_5207 (resized).jpg
IMG_5208 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1052 1 year ago

Finally finished and got my double topper to work.

20171203_154110 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1053 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

What's the story behind that topper? (Did I miss it?)

#1054 1 year ago

Here's a question: I often get the Vanishing Magnet is Broken error message. I then run the Genie Test and it shows everything is ok, and the credit dot disappears.

What happens exactly that triggers this error?

#1055 1 year ago

I believe if the magnet misses a catch to start multiball once or twice in a game or two, the diagnostics thinks that the magnet is broken. After a few consecutive proper catches, the message disappears on my TOTAN.

#1056 1 year ago
Quoted from jecase:

I believe if the magnet misses a catch to start multiball once or twice in a game or two, the diagnostics thinks that the magnet is broken. After a few consecutive proper catches, the message disappears on my TOTAN.

That would make sense, but the error occurs before a missed multiball catch. That's what's driving me bananas.

#1057 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

How did you connect the sword topper ?
I removed it when i got the laseriffic topper but i would like to have them both back together.

#1058 1 year ago

Just finished up restoring this machine.

50A472F5-ED47-4219-B0C6-8E78853762C5 (resized).jpeg

150FDFBB-5FCB-42AB-A963-C5D21B7607E7 (resized).jpeg

#1059 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

What's the story behind that topper? (Did I miss it?)

Quoted from BentleyBear:

How did you connect the sword topper ?
I removed it when i got the laseriffic topper but i would like to have them both back together.

It wasnt easy! Same connectors for both at power driver board. Those damn little ones, .100 . So i knew if i put leds in sword, draw a few volt less power, this trick may work.
But, i hate rebuilding connectors.
I contacted Kim, at Kimballs pinballs. He was very helpful and after about a dozen emails we figured it out. Custom connector was built by kim. So connector comes.....didnt really work. Huge latency power flow that caused sword not to be in sync. The 2 powers needed to be joined together, cut off both molexs, built single pin molex for power, heavy12 gauge single wire in molex, now soldered both topper powers to it, still a delay in latency sync. Had to measure both power cables, make them the same length. Works perfectly now. Cleaver velcrow to join sword to lasserific topper. Removed lamp from lasserific, added my own from India, ordered genie bottle from Cairo Egypt, not kidding. Custom Totan topper done.
Was a lot more work than expected but turned out awesome. I also changed out playfield jewels for matching led bulbs to match toppers.
Hope above makes sense. The latency power flow was frustrating for sure. That little delay in power flow was not easy to trouble shoot.
Ill post pics of connectors when i get a chance. A little frankstien looking set , but it works.
Kim once again was very helpful, however if he makes another for someone i had to fix his, so let me know and ill share design flaws. Basically needed more length at data between joined connectors, barely fit in, hard to plug in.

#1060 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

Here's a question: I often get the Vanishing Magnet is Broken error message. I then run the Genie Test and it shows everything is ok, and the credit dot disappears.
What happens exactly that triggers this error?

I believe I read somewhere that it's a bug in the home rom for TOTAN. I know mine started to do the same thing when I upgraded to the home roms.

Dunno for sure, but seems plausible. If I get some free time, I may put the old rom back in to see if the error goes away.

#1061 1 year ago
Quoted from Dante:

I believe I read somewhere that it's a bug in the home rom for TOTAN. I know mine started to do the same thing when I upgraded to the home roms.
Dunno for sure, but seems plausible. If I get some free time, I may put the old rom back in to see if the error goes away.

Yeah, seems to be some debate on whether or not the bug can be remedied by making some switch adjustments in the subway. I just have OCD about credit dots and it nags on me. I'm surprised if it's a bug that it hasn't been fixed in the userspace.

#1062 1 year ago

Finally! Got the Spinning Lamp Bases in - Original Red/Orange Color, *NEW* Purple, and *NEW* Clear as well as Silicon Spinning Disc Rubbers in 6 colors as well. These were ordered in April 2017 and have been bugging the supplier ever since ...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GS-3824

The original color one fell off the page ...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9466

#1063 1 year ago

Awesome!

#1064 1 year ago
Quoted from PPS:

Finally! Got the Spinning Lamp Bases in - Original Red/Orange Color, *NEW* Purple, and *NEW* Clear as well as Silicon Spinning Disc Rubbers in 6 colors as well. These were ordered in April 2017 and have been bugging the supplier ever since ...
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GS-3824
The original color one fell off the page ...
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9466

i have been waiting patiently for this. thank u. purple one i want

#1065 1 year ago

I'm excited to say that I am now going to be able to join the club!
This is a game that I have wanted and wished for for years and years and years. I can't tell you how many times I saw a beautiful and available machine but didn't have the finance, or had the finance but there wasn't a game available... but this time the stars aligned!!!!!! My wish was granted!
...My wife finally found a beautiful TOTAN and secured it for our 10-year anniversary. Am I a lucky guy or what?!
Now if only the snow can clear enough to allow shipment, I'm going to be one happy puppy!
Can't wait to get her home, and post pics!

#1066 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

That would make sense, but the error occurs before a missed multiball catch. That's what's driving me bananas.

Hi, I installed this recently and now that my magnet never misses a ball the error has gone

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).png

#1067 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I'm excited to say that I am now going to be able to join the club!
This is a game that I have wanted and wished for for years and years and years. I can't tell you how many times I saw a beautiful and available machine but didn't have the finance, or had the finance but there wasn't a game available... but this time the stars aligned!!!!!! My wish was granted!
...My wife finally found a beautiful TOTAN and secured it for our 10-year anniversary. Am I a lucky guy or what?!
Now if only the snow can clear enough to allow shipment, I'm going to be one happy puppy!
Can't wait to get her home, and post pics!

Awesome, you will love it

#1068 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi, I installed this recently and now that my magnet never misses a ball the error has gone

I get this error every now and them but since I know it's a common bug, it never annoyed me. Anyway, now I feel compelled to buy this part!

#1069 1 year ago

I just purchased TOTAN! Please hold the applause...no come on, you are embarrassing me...

My question to the seasoned flippers: how can i tell if this is an original machine or a rebuilt or would there be a replica made? I ask because this thing is in EXCELLENT condition! I have looked as photos of others and see the same interior black paint fade and serial number stickers. I just can't wrap my head around this!

So happy to be a TOTAN owner

#1070 1 year ago

Little chance of a replica; I’ve never seen it. Some pictures would help.

#1071 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

please show me a picture of this installed?

#1072 1 year ago

Does anyone have problems with rusty/oxided balls when they get too much time standing under-the-playfield ball through? Well, I do have that trouble with my TotAN, so I just acquired this piece of plastic that fits right to any B/W game.

IMG_20171230_111209 (resized).jpg

#1073 1 year ago

Go to Cliffys passion for pinball site, the magnet catch is there. Works great.

#1074 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Does anyone have problems with rusty/oxided balls when they get too much time standing under-the-playfield ball through? Well, I do have that trouble with my TotAN, so I just acquired this piece of plastic that fits right to any B/W game.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_8&products_id=449&zenid=6662b066c8233392366cb4abd8216342

#1075 1 year ago

Are you following me pinrob? You never posted on this thread!!! Guess you're a bit jeaulos, huh? Well, mine was way cheaper!

#1076 1 year ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

please show me a picture of this installed?

I had to modify it slightly because if it was a very slow moving ball and the magnet grab wasn't active the ball could get stuck. I have now had it installed for over 3 months and never had a stuck ball or missed magnet grab. I'm super happy. Took a little bit of fiddling to get the exact position for the magnet lift. See my modification in the picture below.

magnet save (resized).JPG

#1077 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I had to modify it slightly because if it was a very slow moving ball and the magnet grab wasn't active the ball could get stuck. I have now had it installed for over 3 months and never had a stuck ball or missed magnet grab. I'm super happy. Took a little bit of fiddling to get the exact position for the magnet lift. See my modification in the picture below.

Thank you. did you add that long bracket piece?

#1078 1 year ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Thank you. did you add that long bracket piece?

Yes I added the long bracket piece so even a slow moving ball will not get stuck

#1079 1 year ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Some folks asked for the specific glass paint colors used. See enclosed pics including close up results...added in the yellow and red where otherwise it was completely faded.

Awesome suggestion. Used this idea on the cabinet of another game that I have. Looked for this particular brand, but didn't find it. Used a different brand, but I'm still pleased with the results. Thank you again!

#1080 1 year ago

Gold conversion in progress... Managed to snatch the gold lockdown bar in decent condition from a bloke in New Jersey for $42. I'm currently debating buying the gold coin door, which is considerably pricey, but my TOTAN is in an impeccable condition so it's a justified investment. Even thinking of stretching myself to a ColorDMD. The only things left are 6 gold pinballs (4 for the game, 2 for the captive balls) to complete it. I think I'll leave the hinges black as even the gold coin door seems a bit overkill to me.

IMG_6375 (resized).JPG

#1081 1 year ago

That's gorgeous. IMHO, leave the coin door black - if IT'S gold as well, I think it will draw the eye away from the lockdown bar / side rails.

#1082 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

I was getting the exact same problem when I bought my TOTAN. Mine was a flaky microswitch in the tunnel just under the vanishing magnet. I replaced the microswitch and have NEVER gotten the error since.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the only way to activate this switch is either through the Magnet dropping to start multiball or the Harem sneak-in hole. If you play so many games in a row WITHOUT actuating the switch, it triggers the error. This might be the problem if the switch is fine. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the error it throws instead of "check switch 12 vanish tunnel"

here's the switch:

switch-TOTAN magnet (resized).JPG

#1083 1 year ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I was getting the exact same problem when I bought my TOTAN. Mine was a flaky microswitch in the tunnel just under the vanishing magnet. I replaced the microswitch and have NEVER gotten the error since.
EDIT: Keep in mind, the only way to activate this switch is either through the Magnet dropping to start multiball or the Harem sneak-in hole. If you play so many games in a row WITHOUT actuating the switch, it triggers the error. This might be the problem if the switch is fine. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the error it throws instead of "check switch 12 vanish tunnel"
here's the switch:

This is exactly what I needed to see. I’ll make sure that switch is perfect and keep this all in mind. Thank you!

#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Gold conversion in progress... Managed to snatch the gold lockdown bar in decent condition from a bloke in New Jersey for $42. I'm currently debating buying the gold coin door, which is considerably pricey, but my TOTAN is in an impeccable condition so it's a justified investment. Even thinking of stretching myself to a ColorDMD. The only things left are 6 gold pinballs (4 for the game, 2 for the captive balls) to complete it. I think I'll leave the hinges black as even the gold coin door seems a bit overkill to me.

That's beautiful! Is that a golden shooter rod too?! Gorgeous.
Personally, I don't think you could go wrong either way. As it looks now, its a gorgeous specimen and the black coin door isn't an issue...looks perfect... that said, I don't think a golden coin door would be bad either! Ha! These TOTAN machines are so beautiful, especially shined up the way you have it, they are going to look amazing no matter what. So if gold is what you want, go for it!! If you wind up not caring for it, I bet you could either hold on to it for a later day or sell it without issue.

I was checking out the expected fade on your cabinet...if you ever wanted to touch that up, calico1997 on post #181, and post #187 in this thread made an awesome suggestion regarding the use of glass paint (i had previously never heard of it. It's a transparent colored product either in paint pen style or brush on used to decorate glass and ceramic. Get from local craft store) to bring back the enhanced original color. While I couldn't find the exact brand they/he used, I used the same stuff but different brand on a cabinet of mine and it worked great.

Keep us posted on your restoration!!

#1085 1 year ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

I had that gold balls for awhile at my TotAN... They lost their glow pretty f***ing fast!

#1086 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

That's beautiful! Is that a golden shooter rod too?! Gorgeous.
Personally, I don't think you could go wrong either way. As it looks now, its a gorgeous specimen and the black coin door isn't an issue...looks perfect... that said, I don't think a golden coin door would be bad either! Ha! These TOTAN machines are so beautiful, especially shined up the way you have it, they are going to look amazing no matter what. So if gold is what you want, go for it!! If you wind up not caring for it, I bet you could either hold on to it for a later day or sell it without issue.
I was checking out the expected fade on your cabinet...if you ever wanted to touch that up, calico1997 on post #181, and post #187 in this thread made an awesome suggestion regarding the use of glass paint (i had previously never heard of it. It's a transparent colored product either in paint pen style or brush on used to decorate glass and ceramic. Get from local craft store) to bring back the enhanced original color. While I couldn't find the exact brand they/he used, I used the same stuff but different brand on a cabinet of mine and it worked great.
Keep us posted on your restoration!!

Thanks for the tip! I have indeed noticed that my cabinet is fading ever so slightly, but I think I'd rather just get a new set of decals (I only do small touch-ups with any paint products). I am, however, quite nervous about doing anything major to my TOTAN just because I'm worried about a lack of aptitude in restorations and my TOTAN honestly is in an amazing condition.

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I had that gold balls for awhile at my TotAN... They lost their glow pretty f***ing fast!

Oh wow, I'll keep that in mind.

#1087 1 year ago

Has anyone noticed the purple lamp base now available on the planetary pinball website? I put an order in. I think it may look awesome. I also picked up some matching purple spinning disk rubbers.
Has anyone changed this base out for other colors?

#1088 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Has anyone noticed the purple lamp base now available on the planetary pinball website? I put an order in. I think it may look awesome. I also picked up some matching purple spinning disk rubbers.
Has anyone changed this base out for other colors?

Can't wait to see how the purple looks with maybe the clear rubbers. I'm selling my game so I'm not sure if I'm gonna get it or not. Post some pics when you do it!

#1089 1 year ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can't wait to see how the purple looks with maybe the clear rubbers. I'm selling my game so I'm not sure if I'm gonna get it or not. Post some pics when you do it!

Are there any resellers of these new lamp bases in Europe?

#1090 1 year ago

Alright guys I need some help. My trough optos were acting glitchy (kicking out an extra ball sometimes) so I ordered a new set and installed them. Powered her up and got the error in the picture. Checked the connections they appear fine but I reseated them on the trough optos and the opto PCB anyway. Checked the fuses and found a blown 4A fuse in F11B replaced it, turned it back on and it did not blow but I get the same error. Put the old boards back in and get the same error. Put another set of new boards in, same error. Something is wrong somewhere else but I can’t track it down.

ACD919FA-DF83-4FF6-B034-2AA736A6DEEE (resized).jpeg

#1091 1 year ago

Did you check the 12 volts?

#1092 1 year ago

I've got a question for the club. I did a big shop job on my TOTAN and now the left cage is hitting the rubber above it when it tries to pop up from below so isn't catching the ball. Does anyone see anything wrong with how I reassembled this area? Neither the posts or the cage seem adjustable, so I'm wondering if the Happ rubber rings I received are just too fat or the wrong size? Does anyone know what size ring goes there for sure? Are Titan or other rings thinner? Should I have used narrower posts on that side? Thanks.

IMG_0614 (resized).jpg

#1093 1 year ago

I can check on my game tonight. If the current ring is too loose it can protrude out. Since the post locations didn’t change I would suspect the rubber.

#1094 1 year ago
Quoted from Strohz:

I've got a question for the club. I did a big shop job on my TOTAN and now the left cage is hitting the rubber above it when it tries to pop up from below so isn't catching the ball. Does anyone see anything wrong with how I reassembled this area? Neither the posts or the cage seem adjustable, so I'm wondering if the Happ rubber rings I received are just too fat or the wrong size? Does anyone know what size ring goes there for sure? Are Titan or other rings thinner? Should I have used narrower posts on that side? Thanks.

Mine has always pushed up the rubber, but it still catches the ball.

#1095 1 year ago

Looks to be a 2-inch ring

#1096 1 year ago

What flipper coil are you guys using i feel mine is way too strong

#1097 1 year ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Did you check the 12 volts?

So I finally had time to mess around with this. Voltage was good right up to the trough optos, so I pulled them out and the issue turned out to be pretty strange and is still not really resolved. The new receiver boards (I have 2) only detect the transmitters from about 1" apart, which is obviously narrower than the ball trough so it appeared not to be working at all. When I put the old receiver board back on I can hold it about 8' apart from the receiver (new or old) and it works fine. So for now the original receiver is back in but that means the game is still acting glitchy and kicking out an extra ball occasionally. I ordered the optos from pinball life. Have any of you ever had this sort of issue before?

#1098 1 year ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I ordered mine along with the rebuild kits from Marco. I agree that they're pretty strong but I wouldn't say that they are too strong.

#1099 1 year ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

11629. Mine are still originals, and I agree they're quite strong.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Baltimore, MD
Hardware
CPR Playfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 1496 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 30.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside