Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Hawk007
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Was wondering if other TOTAN owners frequently get this error for the ball 3 (aka "Top") lock switch? I see it a lot when I first power on my machine, then the switch tests fine and the error goes away for a while. I'm wondering if it's starting to go bad (hopefully not, since a new one seems hard to track down) or if there is anything I can do so I'm not pestered by this error so much? I should also mention - while in test mode the first couple of times I push down on the switch it doesn't seem to register, then the test is fine and knows whenever the switch is open or closed.

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

I had the same problem and eventually the switch was not recognizing the locked balls. I think they are regular switches and come off the plate that house all 3 switches. They come off the switch plate. I believe it was 67,68, and 69

#3 11 years ago

Flaky switch - replace it and be done with it.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

Regular micro mini switch, get a new one, get wires in same spots, diode facing the same direction, swap the arm that trips the switch from the old body to the new body.

#5 11 years ago

I have the same issue on mine and that switch will then test fine too. I just chalk it up to a switch that is very rarely hit when playing to game and then the system eventually believes its broken as it hasn't registered that switch in X number of games.

#6 11 years ago

Switches that test fine and fail in game play, have flux or gunk inside them. Which slows them down and the game doesn't see them in play.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Regular micro mini switch, get a new one, get wires in same spots, diode facing the same direction, swap the arm that trips the switch from the old body to the new body.

Thanks LTG. Now if you'll forgive my inexperience, I've never replaced a switch before - much less taken it apart and swapped arms. I tend to excel at breaking things worse no matter how careful I am, so I'm wondering how easy is it to remove the arm off a switch? I'm more inclined to just replace it with the right switch to begin with, but then I run into the issue where supposedly the right switch for this is never in stock anywhere. (I saw this thread, but the one mentioned on Marco is no longer available: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-anyone-have-a-14820-switch-for-totan-or-black-rose)

If replacing the switch outright is easier, could anyone send me a link to something they know from first hand experience is a suitable replacement? I'm also wondering if I should buy a new diode to solder to it as well, in which case I was wondering how I could determine what the correct one should be?

#8 11 years ago

call the pinball resource Steve Young, Give him the part number associated with the switch. He may yell at you but do not take it personally. he is extremely knowledgable

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

Now if you'll forgive my inexperience, I've never replaced a switch before - much less taken it apart and swapped arms.

Nothing to forgive, everyone starts somewhere.

Buy a new diode for sure, get the silver band end in the same direction, green and white wires in the same spots. Diode on your switch will be a 1N4001, I use a 1N4004 or 1N4007 - these work fine too, also on coils.

Get a new switch, any one with an arm that snaps off. Start with the new one. See the nubs where the arm snaps on ? Slowly, carefully, gently stick a small thin thing between the side of the switch and the part of the arm with the hole that snaps onto the lugs. A jewelers screw driver, thin blade of a strong knife ( and bandages for when you slip ) a little twist and the arm pops off.

Do the same thing with the old switch, now you have practice so you won't hurt the arm. snap it off. Take it over to the new switch, get it facing the right direction, gently snap it onto the nubs. When it's on, push it a couple times to be sure it works smoothly.

Not much to it. You'll figure it out and learn a little more about your game.

#10 11 years ago

OK - sounds like a plan. And aside from always asking here on pinside, is there another way to know which diode is compatible with the next switch/coil/etc. I need to replace?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

is there another way to know which diode is compatible with the next switch/coil/etc. I need to replace?

Email me. Pinwiki http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page , parts list in your manual. etc. etc.

For your newer DMD pins, 1N4001 for switches. 1N4004 or 1N4007 for coils.

You can use 1N4004 or 1N4007 on switches too. 1N4001 is too low a voltage for coils.

I use 1N4004 or 1N4007, that way there is no chance of getting a 1N4001 in the mix and on a coil.

7 months later
#12 10 years ago

7 months have passed and I've finally gotten around to doing this.

As it turns out, the new switch and diode with the original arm is doing the exact same thing. In test mode, the switch is very finicky - sometimes it registers as closed and sometimes it does not. To test further, I played a game where I locked all three balls. Wouldn't you know it - the machine had no idea ball 3 was locked so it went into endless search mode and never triggered multiball.

I'm thinking the arm itself just doesn't come down on the switch like it should and so I get this constant Check Switch 68 Lock 3 (Top) error. But - the arm itself looks fine so I don't think it needs replaced. Would be curious to know if others have this problem and what they would suggest?

#13 10 years ago

That is definitely weird rennervision. I have never seen this issue but I constatly get the "magnet broken" error on my TOTAN but the damn thing is just fine. I have been told quite a few times its poor code. Good luck. Is it possible that the orientation of the switch was not correct when the switch was installed previously?

#14 10 years ago

I had that same magnet error on my totan too and also switch errors .[not registering and fine in test etc etc]........I found that some of my targets were wired wrong from the factory! Check the wiring to make sure it is correct to all the switches. My three red ones on the left side of the playfield were wired to the wrong side of the diode! All three! After I re soldered them to the right side of the diode it worked perfectly for probably the first time in the games whole life! Thought I would post this as you may have the same issue...Look at the other targets in the game and see that the green wires go to no diode and the white go to the NON banded side of the diode. Bet you have the left bank of three soldered wrong like I did. Must have been a rookie working on the games in the factory is my only explanation. Lets hope this 'find' fixes everyones games! It fixed mine.

#15 10 years ago

well shit thanks for the tip, will check this out tomorrow during the football games. I just got done playing after commenting on how it had a broken magnet error constantly and it did it again...Grrrrr! Of course it locked balls perfectly....

#16 10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. The diode seems correct since its soldered in exactly like the one for the switch right in front of it (which never has any problem).

So I tried something a little unconventional by wrapping a little bit of black electrical tape around the arm where it makes contact with the little button on the switch. Now the arm seems to close the switch every time I press down on it.

So far works like a charm in test mode or while playing now.

#17 10 years ago

your switch was out of adjustment [actually the switch is probably wearing out but you can adjust it for now]. Take the tape off and close the switch by hand and keep it activated by pinching your fingers and then bend the end up a little and try it then. It should actuate from above on the playing surface before it disappears in the playfield. That way it gets a full activation every time .
Try checking switches with a ball and you would have found this earlier. Your fingers depress the switch a little more than a ball would depending on there the ball is rolling
Congrats on your first fix!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 36.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 119.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-check-switch-68-lock-3-top and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.