mirco (resized).png
7B7B4310-EE42-40C8-A5B0-EFB7A7FE6956 (resized).jpeg
Popcorn 2.gif
SmartSelect_20220316-204830_Firefox.jpg
2022-03-14 11.57.14 web1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hi,

At Texas Pinball Festival we will present the brand new TOTAN 2.0 Kit "The forgotten Tales" with new Software and great features. There will be two games in the game hall with our system installed to play. First kits will be available for pick up or order at TPF and same time only on my website mircoplayfield.com. The kit will not be available through any distributors. More details will be posted shortly before TPF.
Regards,

Mirco

2022-03-14 11.57.14 web1 (resized).jpg2022-03-14 11.57.14 web1 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Very cool. Wish I had a totan. Will yall be making more game kits? Please consider doing dracula as it deserves a deeper ruleset and it shoots like a dream.

#3 2 years ago

A code update to TOTAN is very appealing, but I have some serious reservations based on all of the other issues surrounding Mirco's playfields and radcals. Mirco has a habit of not standing behind his products and telling people to pound sand when they encounter issues. This is his first venture into a mod of this kind and there could be bugs in the game. Will we get support for any issues that arise? All sales are direct through Mirco, so there are no distributors to assist when you encounter issues.

Also not thrilled about the LED display. I prefer the look of the LCD over LED.

#4 2 years ago

Just one more differing opinion. As a person who has purchased several playfields and radcals from Mirco, I can honestly say it has been a very positive experience. In the few instances that I have had some product issues, Mirco was quick to respond and replace. I don't think the intent of this thread is to debate past product quality as much as it is to celebrate another new exciting product being offered to our pinball community. I for one am looking forward to seeing this kit being played in the upcoming weeks.

#5 2 years ago

The game software is a child of love and has been developed by a passionate pinball designer. You can read the history here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/. Mirco and I "just" helped Benoít to get everything polished and produced.

Quoted from DeeGor:

I prefer the look of the LCD over LED.

LCD is technically supported by the kit but not currently offered as an option (you might be able to add it yourself). We like the sharp look of an RGB DMD with perfect viewing angle.

Quoted from DeeGor:

A code update to TOTAN is very appealing, [...]. Will we get support for any issues that arise?

There will be bugs. Any non-trivial software has bugs but luckily we can fix them in future updates. The kit features a (micro) SD card and comes with a SD card reader for easy updates. Initially there will be a limited number of kits only so that we can gather feedback without becoming overwhelmed by (opinionated) reports. That will allow us to identify and fix any issues which slipped through testing early on. We will obviously also make it right for our first customers.

#6 2 years ago

Torn…looks like a neat product. Mirco’s customer service and quality is really bad. Having had two JJP with garbage PFs and having a seen his repo PF fall apart I do think I can’t give him any money at this time.

#7 2 years ago

Nevermind..

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Hi,
First kits will be available for pick up or order at TPF and same time only on my website mircoplayfield.com.
[quoted image]

This link didn't work for me. used this link, although didn't see any info.
https://mircoplayfields.com/en

Anxiously Looking forward to seeing more details.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Torn…looks like a neat product. Mirco’s customer service and quality is really bad. Having had two JJP with garbage PFs and having a seen his repo PF fall apart I do think I can’t give him any money at this time.

I’m just curious about the Dialed In you had.Is that one that had playfield problems?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’m just curious about the Dialed In you had.Is that one that had playfield problems?

Yeah Dialed in and Potc. Potc was much worse than Dialed in.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yeah Dialed in and Potc. Potc was much worse than Dialed in.

That’s the first I’ve heard of any playfield issues with DI?What kind of issues did you have?Mine is still perfect with only very little dimpling that any Stern playfield would be delighted with!

#12 2 years ago

No chance in hell I'd touch this product from mirco... Their customer service is legendary in not a good way!

Is this project on the original p-roc hardware?
It better be give the help the code author has developing the game from multimorphic.

#13 2 years ago

Game was made in the beginning for gstellenberg s p-roc system. As many homebrew started this way but I think the license forced them to use fast? Shame as I think proc is the daddy of all homebrews .

But great to see more juice flow in the pinball world.more games is more joy

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

the license forced them to use fast?

Let's be clear... for people reviewing this later.

The Licensor (IE PPS) has a vested interest in licensing fees on the FAST platform. There is a rumor that PPS somehow convinced FAST that they owed PPS a license fee.
So That licensor forces the homebrew community to use the FAST hardware so they can double dip on licensing fees.
That licensor also probably gets a license fee from Mirco... so they are technically triple dipping.

Multimorphic's PROC platform doesn't have any licensing restrictions.

For those keeping track:
The original homebrew author pays a fee for licensing Totan.
FAST pays a fee to PPS for each fast controller.
Mirco pays a fee to PPS for the TOTAN 2.0 kit.

This means each customer pays 3x the licensing fees for:
1) shitty customer service via Mirco, FAST, and PPS
2) the 2.0 Totan name
3) Crap overall product if there there is a actual physical product sent via Mirco.

I'm very happy for the original author of TOTAN 2.0... he's being treated marginally better than the Cactus Canyon 2.0 author.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Let's be clear... for people reviewing this later.
The Licensor (IE PPS) has a vested interest in licensing fees on the FAST platform. There is a rumor that PPS somehow convinced FAST that they owed PPS a license fee.
So That licensor forces the homebrew community to use the FAST hardware so they can double dip on licensing fees.
That licensor also probably gets a license fee from Mirco... so they are technically triple dipping.
Multimorphic's PROC platform doesn't have any licensing restrictions.
For those keeping track:
The original homebrew author pays a fee for licensing Totan.
FAST pays a fee to PPS for each fast controller.
Mirco pays a fee to PPS for the TOTAN 2.0 kit.
This means each customer pays 3x the licensing fees for:
1) shitty customer service via Mirco and FAST
2) the 2.0 Totan name
3) Crap overall product if there there is a actual physcial product sent via Mirco.

You seem angry?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You seem angry?

You seem like a troll as usual.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You seem like a troll as usual.

Nevermind man.

#18 2 years ago

So.... who else is excited for TOTAN 2.0?

#19 2 years ago

Too bad I sold my Totan years ago. Already looks better than FH 2.0!

#20 2 years ago

Excited and disappointed all in the same thread.
Why can't I plug this into my colordmd? It's just a data cable.
Another 2.0 where I have to buy a display,cpu, and lord knows what else.
Why can't I just buy the rom support, sticker for speaker panel and auto launcher?
Didn't pull trigger on Funhouse 2 0 either.
Both of my games have perfectly fine working hardware already.

#21 2 years ago

Zitt
Your enterly wrong on certain things.
I am not a lawyer.

Open source stuff can be sold by J. If the orginal license says that he can he can.

If you modify the code or the hardware, improve it, and be able to prove its his varient is unquiqe then it his alone and is available to patent.

https://opensource.guide/legal/

If people contribute to this project under this license then their is an expectation that any derivatives can be paid and used by the orginal person who has orginal expression of said work.

It would be best if J would consult with a lawyer to make sure of things.

SmartSelect_20220316-204830_Firefox.jpgSmartSelect_20220316-204830_Firefox.jpg Added over 2 years ago:

Without compensating said authors of work.

How do you think Gottlieb got Bad Girls. It's 8 ball deluxe but with a vari target ramp and a vuk.

It's legal and they can do it.

The license give J free reign over what he did.

#22 2 years ago

Not going to rehash was was said in the other thread. This isn't about open source - none of the OPs code is in the open source community.
I'm not entirely wrong. If you care - go read the other thread about my points. At the OP's request; I'm not going to rehash his unethical behavior here.
The whole team on this project is unethical. The author may not have started out intending to be "that guy"... but he became one when someone offered him fame and fortune.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

This isn't about open source - none of the OPs code is in the open source community.

You mean none of our code is open source? Have a look: https://github.com/jabdoa2. Only about two open source contributions a day over the last year on average.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not going to rehash was was said in the other thread. This isn't about open source - none of the OPs code is in the open source community.
I'm not entirely wrong. If you care - go read the other thread about my points. At the OP's request; I'm not going to rehash his unethical behavior here.
The whole team on this project is unethical. The author may not have started out intending to be "that guy"... but he became one when someone offered him fame and fortune.

It blantat, their is nothing unethical if the license grants him full ability. It's explicit its ethical.

No if ands or but. If the orginal people accept the terms and conditions laidout during the development and it does not change meaning they stuck with the orginal license conditions that they worked with its above board and J is free to do has he pleases.

Again he can modify the code and controller and its ethical and legal, it's his alone.

1 week later
#25 2 years ago

Documentation on the kit is here: https://docs.the-forgotten-tales.com/. This will grow over time. For now its only installation, software updates and support.

#27 2 years ago

Is there any release info or game play posted anywhere other than the busted machine video from TPF? curious to check it out.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Is there any release info or game play posted anywhere other than the busted machine video from TPF? curious to check it out.

There is this video from TPF but there is this one from around one year ago posted. It shows only the extension part thought.
Current software are probably changed since then.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

That’s the first I’ve heard of any playfield issues with DI?

As discussed a million times both scoops had cracking clear after very few plays.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

As discussed a million times both scoops had cracking clear after very few plays.

Will you waited long enough?

#31 2 years ago

As a TOTAN owner who is very excited about the idea of more complete code, I have a very hard time investing money into a product that you will be forced to go to the manufacturer - Mirco - for any support. I had a Mirco playfield issue in the past and it was not a pleasant experience by any means. I think there have been numerous opportunities for Mirco to start prioritizing customer care, but it seems is not a priority.

One of the reasons distributors exists is they are an ally for the customer, and can help when issues arise, amongst other benefits. Makes me wonder what the decision to not use a distributor… most likely money.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

As a TOTAN owner who is very excited about the idea of more complete code, I have a very hard time investing money into a product that you will be forced to go to the manufacturer - Mirco - for any support. I had a Mirco playfield issue in the past and it was not a pleasant experience by any means. I think there have been numerous opportunities for Mirco to start prioritizing customer care, but it seems is not a priority.
One of the reasons distributors exists is they are an ally for the customer, and can help when issues arise, amongst other benefits. Makes me wonder what the decision to not use a distributor… most likely money.

And.....it's just to damn expensive.
But agreed on mirco. Especially after his steller performance at TPF.

#33 2 years ago

The game was beautiful and for sale, but not quite ready for prime time at TPF to show off the software.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

The game was beautiful and for sale, but not quite ready for prime time at TPF to show off the software.

It wasn't working when i played it. The right flipper was broken. For sale at 23k with gold plated trim.

#35 2 years ago

Doesn’t look too bad as far as content:

I hope new gameplay videos to be release soon

#36 2 years ago

Wow, I just found out this kit is 3k without shipping. That’s very aggressive on prizing considering Rudy’s nightmare - an arguably similar mod (not identical) - is 1500….

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Wow, I just found out this kit is 3k without shipping. That’s very aggressive on prizing considering Rudy’s nightmare - an arguably similar mod (not identical) - is 1500….

Rudy's Nightmare is $2k plus shipping.

#38 2 years ago

Yeah, I too thought the price was raised close to $3k USD. However, that price is only if you are in Europe. It says on the website(first page) that the VAT European tax will be removed at checkout. So, the outside Europe price is $2500; still a hefty price tag + shipping.

I had a buddy play this a few times at TPF and he was never able to actually complete a game. It sounds like this is more in an Alpha state than Beta from what I can tell/see. I'm Interested perhaps down the road, if all the bugs are fixed and it looks like a good value. Oh, and nobody is reporting HW/Parts/Pieces issues.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferros:

Yeah, I too thought the price was raised close to $3k USD. However, that price is only if you are in Europe. It says on the website(first page) that the VAT European tax will be removed at checkout. So, the outside Europe price is $2500; still a hefty price tag + shipping.
I had a buddy play this a few times at TPF and he was never able to actually complete a game. It sounds like this is more in an Alpha state than Beta from what I can tell/see. I'm Interested perhaps down the road, if all the bugs are fixed and it looks like a good value. Oh, and nobody is reporting HW/Parts/Pieces issues.

What do you mean "not complete a game"? Did the game crash or he did not get to saving the princess? The author said it was a design goal to make the game more difficult/deeper to make sure you do not reach the end easily.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferros:

The coil not working was due to a firmware thing with hardware at TPF. I’ve heard it has been corrected since then (right after). You can check that the project has been running for years without any issue, there are videos of the running project on youtube for quiet a while. Looks promising but they should have posted gameplay video IMO at TPF. The presentation itself was not the best I’ve seen, so waiting for news now.

#41 2 years ago

Is it a standard size DMD ? Why not use a large screen as Funhouse 2.0 ?

1 week later
#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

can check that the project has been running for years without any issue

On the devs original, singular machine and on completely different, production proven board-set and software stack.

The new code is a hack upon a hack.
This new code uses non production FAST hardware, with unproven firmware, and an unproven software stack. Buyer beware

3 months later
#43 1 year ago

Had a chance to put in a few games at VFW tonight. Here are a few thoughts:

1. It is a completely different game. Much like the RFM software change, this changes scoring, modes, etc. Is it better? It is definitely harder to score on, but it has more variety of modes and was more forgiving. Initial thoughts - I liked it.
2. It is NOT a game you can play in a dark room. Too much GI turned off with modes, particularly the lightening bottle. It literally makes the pf dark during multiball modes and is too much of a handicap in a dark room. Play it with the lights on.
3. I think the GI needs to be on more. Lots and lots of flashing lights. It is novel at first and then a bit distracting.
4. One of the modes asks you to spell "SESAME" but doesn't say how to score "SESAME" since nothing on the pf is marked with these letters. To score you hit the lit yellow circles. The DMD should say how to score "SESAME" below the mode message.
5. Several times the game would plunge a second ball at the start of a ball, usually ball 2.
6. When hitting the Bazaar hole, you get scoring options. Twice, it listed play the last mode on both the left and right flipper. In both cases, the last mode was the Camel Race. The flippers were dead on the outkick and the game basically froze until the ball drained.
7. Too much white on the graphics of the color DMD. Needs better colorization.
8. The plastic DMD surround also lights up completed modes. I noticed it does not flash the upcoming mode that shows on the pf. It would be nice if that synced.
9. The new mode, Bolero, is ungodly long. It resets a 1 minute timer every time you hit the right flasher. I mean UNGODLY long.
10. The new Phantom mode. I couldn't figure out what the Phantom scoring was.
11. This is a LONG ball time game with the ball saves all activated. It will be super friendly for new or casual players, but it will likely be too long for good players and need the ball saves deactivated.
12. Overall, because the scoring is so different and the new modes, there should be more clear scoring instructions. The TOTAN pf is CROWDED with inserts, etc. Trying to figure out scoring on the fly is a challenge.
13. Did I say it's a LONG game. I think my shortest ball time was over 1 minute on a game I had just walked up to and just started flipping. Most ball times were considerably longer.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Had a chance to put in a few games at VFW tonight. Here are a few thoughts:
1. It is a completely different game. Much like the RFM software change, this changes scoring, modes, etc. Is it better? It is definitely harder to score on, but it has more variety of modes and was more forgiving. Initial thoughts - I liked it.
2. It is NOT a game you can play in a dark room. Too much GI turned off with modes, particularly the lightening bottle. It literally makes the pf dark during multiball modes and is too much of a handicap in a dark room. Play it with the lights on.
3. I think the GI needs to be on more. Lots and lots of flashing lights. It is novel at first and then a bit distracting.
4. One of the modes asks you to spell "SESAME" but doesn't say how to score "SESAME" since nothing on the pf is marked with these letters. To score you hit the lit yellow circles. The DMD should say how to score "SESAME" below the mode message.
5. Several times the game would plunge a second ball at the start of a ball, usually ball 2.
6. When hitting the Bazaar hole, you get scoring options. Twice, it listed play the last mode on both the left and right flipper. In both cases, the last mode was the Camel Race. The flippers were dead on the outkick and the game basically froze until the ball drained.
7. Too much white on the graphics of the color DMD. Needs better colorization.
8. The plastic DMD surround also lights up completed modes. I noticed it does not flash the upcoming mode that shows on the pf. It would be nice if that synced.
9. The new mode, Bolero, is ungodly long. It resets a 1 minute timer every time you hit the right flasher. I mean UNGODLY long.
10. The new Phantom mode. I couldn't figure out what the Phantom scoring was.
11. This is a LONG ball time game with the ball saves all activated. It will be super friendly for new or casual players, but it will likely be too long for good players and need the ball saves deactivated.
12. Overall, because the scoring is so different and the new modes, there should be more clear scoring instructions. The TOTAN pf is CROWDED with inserts, etc. Trying to figure out scoring on the fly is a challenge.
13. Did I say it's a LONG game. I think my shortest ball time was over 1 minute on a game I had just walked up to and just started flipping. Most ball times were considerably longer.

Hi Robotron,
thanks for your review. Some of the comments have been adressed already and I have provided an update: (rf my previous post)
2-ok. The mode which turn the pf dark often is the lightning lamp. I can change the lightning a bit for it. Rregarding the other mode I think this is ok. I do play all my pin in dark env. (see my videos) and I do enjoy it and my Totan has mainly bulbs and really few leds. The idea is that we should be able to see everything always.
3-I've added an option to turn the GI on for all the old tales. I can think of something to add more light for other modes as well.
4-this is Alibaba 2 I guess. On this mode oyu need to hit the lamp and then ou have few seconds to hit the stand up targets to progress. There are quotes reminder and pop up message on the screen. I'll see if I can add instruction at the start of the mode.
5-not sure what happened there. The second ball should come if one of the through swith is activated and this is not something which should happen. I need to test if I reproduce with long gameplay.
6-this one is a bug, I will take a look. Thanks to bring that up.
7-I've added font colors on the last update
8-those lights purpose are meant to be sync with the new tales only
9-I have shared on that mode already: I might turn it off by default on my next upate. This mode purpose is to be long.
10- you can see the scoring if you hit the jackpot: it is 100 000 the first time and increased by 100 000 if this mode is called back later with: 200 000, 300 000... and so on...
11- this has been adressed also. I didn't deactivate the ball save (for now) but I reduced the duration. I think it would be better to go step by step: the game now is much longer and I want to keep it accessible.

1 month later
#45 1 year ago

I got a friend who own a kit and really happy with it but.. there is no video anywhere to show how it run. When I look at FH 2.0, there are plenty of videos on youtube but for this nothing. At this price, we need videos to show some of the gameplay to make our mind. Is it something planned ?

Also it would be nice to have more infos on release for the HD display. (If possible)

#46 1 year ago

I am interested in a kit with HD display, when will it be released?

#47 1 year ago

Some communication would be nice (indeed!)

#48 1 year ago

Popcorn 2.gifPopcorn 2.gif

#49 1 year ago

Hi, yes I know we need Videos. Wanted to post several some time ago but I did not have time to take them so far. I will be in the US this week, once I return I hope to have time to take some videos.

The HD display is not ready and will not be available in near future. But the will be an upgrade option for the regular versions available once it is ready.

Regards, Mirco

1 week later
#50 1 year ago

Where do we install the small DMD Power Feed board? The instructions online don't seem to mention it and our kit doesn't have printed instructions.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-20-game-kit-the-forgotten-tales-release-at-tpf?hl=soulrider911 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.