(Topic ID: 69687)

TOTALLY THEORETICAL: TSPP Anniversary Edition ;)

By Rarehero

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

furby-simpson.jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

All this talk of remakes, LEs, multiple LEs, etc had me thinking .... what if Stern revisited The Simpsons Pinball Party and made a new "Ultimate" edition...lets say, a 25th Anniversary Edition. It's a great game - Stern's best seller...and most of us who love the game would agree that the game deserves better than the dated Whitestar tech it's running on.

In my theoretical Anniversary Edition, Stern would port the code to their new upcoming platform which would allow for:
-Remastered high-quality stereo music

-High quality voice clips (I'm sure all of the original voice recordings still exist)

-Full color display - I'm sure they can find existing animation from the 500+ episodes produced to re-purpose & match what was done in DMD animation, especially since much of the dotwork was based on episodic animation. Might have to have a few new things animated, like the Ball Lock stuff - but that wouldn't be too difficult - Starz/Film Roman often does custom Simpsons animation for commercials, videogames, etc.

For the cabinet:
-High rez cabinet decals - maybe just use the old art but high rez or create brand new art.
-Mirrored backglass -again I'd be fine with the old art, but new would be cool.
-Yellow powder-coated metal

-Playfield and toys...wouldn't change much...extra clear on the PF would be nice...maybe color changing LEDs? Each mode could have a different color on the mode board...and that way it would be super clear as to what modes are running based on the color of the arrows. If stacked, an insert representative of multiple modes can cycle colors.

If anything this could be an excellent R&D effort for Stern - it's an existing design & beloved theme, the rules are COMPLETE, animation mostly exists....theoretically it's good practice for the new platform and theoretically easy money.

#2 10 years ago

#3 10 years ago

C'mon don't you think it would be slightly entertaining to see a Stern LE by Balcer/Johnson competing for sales against a JJP LE by Balcer/Johnson?

#4 10 years ago

Love me some TSPP, as long as they promise to never remake that horrid game FamilyGuy, Im in!!!!!!

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Love me some TSPP, as long as they promise to never remake that horrid game FamilyGuy, Im in!!!!!!

Oooooooh yooooou!!!!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I was about to type the same thing.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I thought POTC outsold TSPP...

Word is that TSPP was ~10,000 and POTC was ~8,000

#9 10 years ago

That'd be awesome and clear coated cabinet so that art don't fade!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I really wish Stern would provide us with some hard data on production numbers, it honestly just looks like a poorly run company... I hope their accountants process their tax records better than whomever is in charge of the production line.

Post edited by centerflank : grammar

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jjsrt8:

That'd be awesome and clear coated cabinet so that art don't fade!

I've seen plenty of faded Diamondplate playfields like T2 & Getaway, so I don't think clearcoat protects from fade ....UV resistant inks do, which Stern uses in their decals.

I don't think I've ever seen a faded Stern. TSPP's cabinet art is intentionally light. The main characters are at full saturation (Bart, Homer, etc) and all the little model sheet extras are light on purpose. I've seen variations on the printing of TSPPs - some are more faded looking than others...but they left the factory that way. If you see a TSPP you think is faded, just look at Bart's shirt or Lisa's dress. If they're bright red, then the game isn't faded.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TSPP's cabinet art is intentionally light. The main characters are at full saturation (Bart, Homer, etc) and all the little model sheet extras are light on purpose. I've seen variations on the printing of TSPPs - some are more faded looking than others...but they left the factory that way. If you see a TSPP you think is faded, just look at Bart's shirt or Lisa's dress. If they're bright red, then the game isn't faded.

True statement. Which is why I did not care for the cabinet artwork. Great idea executed poorly.

#13 10 years ago

I've seen bad fad on TSPP

#14 10 years ago

I am ready for another simpsons pin.... I would be ok with an entirely new game as well....lets see a widebody Simpsons game.... there is so much material to pull from... heck, maybe JJ could get the rights, Keith could add to the rules.

If they did a remake...
I agree with above... improved sound would be # 1 on my list.... and less clunky flippers (that machine is loud when you flip). I would like to see a different homer toy.... the giant head isnt bad, but there has got to be something better we could do there.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I saw an interview with Jack where he was hyping up Keith and said that they had sold 10k TSPPs.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

I would like to see a different homer toy.... the giant head isnt bad, but there has got to be something better we could do there.

What if the eyes were "animated" ? At Disneyland @ the Toy Story ride/game...while you're in line there's a Big Mr. Potatohead and his eyes are like round monitors - his eyes animate and change expressions. They could probably make mini versions of those somehow with OLED screens or something.

#17 10 years ago

They have something similar in toy stores you might be able to repurpose

furby-simpson.jpgfurby-simpson.jpg
#18 10 years ago

Love it unless they price it at $9k, aka twice what a HUO goes for. I wonder if they could even build a TSPP for the 'normal' Premium price now. Make it $6200 and we're talking.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Love it unless they price it at $9k, aka twice what a HUO goes for. I wonder if they could even build a TSPP for the 'normal' Premium price now. Make it $6200 and we're talking.

In theory they should be able to do this & build it for less - since the playfield/toys/mechs/rules have already been designed. Regular development costs would be way less than a typical new game. Development would be porting code, remastering audio, maybe new cab/backglass art...maybe adding some color LED stuff to the code.

#20 10 years ago

Bring it on!

#21 10 years ago

I made a comment on Stern's Facebook page the other day. I used "Stern Classics Collection" and said that it would be nice to see Stern do limited re-runs of their most popular machines. TSPP and Family Guy for instance. I think these games would still sell out today if Stern did another run of them. If companies are re-making games like Medieval Madness now, why can't Stern do another run on popular games if they could get the license again? Even if they change the translite like they did Tron? More money coming in, no development cost and the code is already finished.

I used "Stern Classics Collection", but someone jumped on me and said that Stern Classics are games from the 80s. Of course, the machines could be badged as something else.

Cheers!
Adam.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

I used "Stern Classics Collection", but someone jumped on me and said that Stern Classics are games from the 80s. Of course, the machines could be badged as something else.
Cheers!
Adam.

Stern neo classical era ?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Stern neo classical era ?

Haha....or;

Stern Players Collection
Stern Masters Collection
Stern Collectors Edition
Stern Anniversary Edition
Stern Gold Edition

You guys get the idea....they've done numerous TSPP re-runs before, so why not one more time? It seems people want to pay for that minty fresh game that they really love. The same goes for Family Guy. Maybe it didn't sell well back in the day (I've been told that only 20 made it to Australia), but the show is far more popular today and it is extremely hard to get secondhand in any condition over here right now.

Cheers!
Adam.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

In theory they should be able to do this & build it for less - since the playfield/toys/mechs/rules have already been designed. Regular development costs would be way less than a typical new game. Development would be porting code, remastering audio, maybe new cab/backglass art...maybe adding some color LED stuff to the code.

Yea, just like MMR.. lol

The first thing to fix in TSPP is the audio which is horrendous. The second would be the flippers..they are so loud, sound like someone swinging an aluminum baseball bat against a metal pole. (funny because every flipper is metal on metal but no flippers are as loud/annoying as TSPP)

Man, I got a HUO TSPP and it lasted under a month. Probably played it 60 times or so and i wanted to blow my brains out.

#25 10 years ago

I like the idea of animated eyes.

On the flippers I agree, those things are loud. Still love the game though. I've thought about adding some sound deadening foam inside to see if it would help.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

The second would be the flippers..they are so loud, sound like someone swinging an aluminum baseball bat against a metal pole. (funny because every flipper is metal on metal but no flippers are as loud/annoying as TSPP)

Has anyone ever figured out WHY this is? Are all Whitestar games like this or just TSPP? I don't notice it on my LOTR. Stern games all use the same flipper mechs and coils.

Honestly it's never bothered me because pinball is just always loud...that's how it is...but everyone notices this and comments on it in regards to TSPP.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Has anyone ever figured out WHY this is? Are all Whitestar games like this or just TSPP? I don't notice it on my LOTR. Stern games all use the same flipper mechs and coils.
Honestly it's never bothered me because pinball is just always loud...that's how it is...but everyone notices this and comments on it in regards to TSPP.

I have no idea why it is either would be interested to know. LOTR, Sopranos, T3 doesnt have it. Curious if Monopoly does as that game was before TSPP. I have never noticed it on Monopoly but I have never played that game in a home environment.

#28 10 years ago

Well it does fire 5 flippers constantly. That's gotta increase the volume.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Janin does sell a board that keeps the upper PF flippers from firing if no balls are up there. Wonder how much sound that cuts.

#30 10 years ago

Even in this world of inflated prices you can still find nice tspp machines for around 3500. The economics aren't there. Plus there would probably be a really ugly backglass

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Even in this world of inflated prices you can still find nice tspp machines for around 3500. The economics aren't there. Plus there would probably be a really ugly backglass

Economics arent there for a straight up re-run ...but jazz it up with clear stereo sound & color LCD? I think it'd sell tons. I've got TSPP and I'd re-buy my theoretical 25th Anniv Edition

#32 10 years ago

You could powder coat the metal yellow, put in a new sub and some LEDs and you'd nearly be at what stern are doing with le machines for a fraction of the cost. I actually like what they did with the artwork on the cabinet and play field so see no reason for decals.

Then there are the world of Simpsons toys out there that allow some fun modding - kinda what Jersey jack are doing with the 75th woz edition but without the price tag.

You could also nudge colour dmd to hurry up and produce a colour version rom for TSPP - remind them how popular it is I think this would be better than LCD

I'd imagine all that would be a fraction of the cost of a re-run or anniversary edition and most of it you could do yourself.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dont hear flippers anywhere near as loud on WOZ.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...but jazz it up with clear stereo sound

and overshadow ACDC?!?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I dont hear flippers anywhere near as loud on WOZ.

IIRC WOZ doesn't fire the extra flippers unless you're actually on the mini playfields (only played a couple times, owners let me know if I'm wrong). TSPP fires all of them every time, even if you're not up in the couch area.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

IIRC WOZ doesn't fire the extra flippers unless you're actually on the mini playfields (only played a couple times, owners let me know if I'm wrong). TSPP fires all of them every time, even if you're not up in the couch area.

Woz does the same

#37 10 years ago

As much as I would love to see this happen, I'd rather have Stern complete the codes for many of their incomplete games, like WOF and X-men.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

As much as I would love to see this happen, I'd rather have Stern complete the codes for many of their incomplete games, like WOF and X-men.

Actually, I think this would allow for that...brand new "from scratch" games need "from scratch" code, and that takes up more time and resources. If this theoretical TSPP were to be a real project - they'd need someone to port the code, which could probably be a one or two man job - leaving others to tidy up older games

#39 10 years ago

I'm probably the only one who feels that despite the deep ruleset the theme is implemented very poorly in TSPP. Aside the poor audio quality there were so much more fun tie-ins thinkable for this theme, which I think would have made it much more of a classic than it is now (to me). If Stern would get full access to all episodes audio and manage to put fun and humor in the game, I'm interested. Just a rerun? Meh...

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I'm probably the only one who feels that despite the deep ruleset the theme is implemented very poorly in TSPP. Aside the poor audio quality there were so much more fun tie-ins thinkable for this theme, which I think would have made it much more of a classic than it is now (to me). If Stern would get full access to all episodes audio and manage to put fun and humor in the game, I'm interested. Just a rerun? Meh...

The theme is represented PERFECTLY! The upper playfield is the living room with the TV & couch....you enter thru the garage like in the opening sequence. With the various shots you've got the Kwik-E-Mart represented, the school/bus, Krusty/Sideshow Bob, the bullies, Comic Book Guy, Bart, Cletus, Itchy & Scratchy...the bumpers are the power plant. It's amazing how much they stuffed into that little wooden box.

#41 10 years ago

OT , what about a proper remake of Popeye or South Park??

#42 10 years ago

My biggest problem with the game is that when you successfully complete a mode, the sound that plays is the same as when you fail. All they had to do was put in a Homer WA-HOO! or literally anything else.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

theoretically easy money.

I'm not so sure how many people would line up to pay 7 to 8k for this when a nice original example could be had in the under 5k range.

#44 10 years ago

I agree with ya Greg....er....I mean Rarehero. Tee Hee. However, I would rather see Stern make another Simpsons related theme pinball. I ALWAYS wanted to see a Treehouse of Horror Pinball made. Can you imagine the possibilities? Pinball and comedy/horror themes (EATPM, SS, MB, TAF, etc) always walked hand in hand and I think a TOH would be a fantastic title for Stern to follow up with the TSPP. BTW, whatzup with you dropping out of Youtube land with your gameroom vids?? From an adoring fan!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not so sure how many people would line up to pay 7 to 8k for this when a nice original example could be had in the under 5k range.

Why would someone buy ACDC LE or 10k when they can get the prem for 6k? I think Simpsons with remastered sound, new boards & full color real animation on LCD display would be very appealing.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I saw an interview with Jack where he was hyping up Keith and said that they had sold 10k TSPPs.

Pretty sure that was meant as a joke.

The thread below has estimates based on multiple sources, including (http://www.ipsnd.net/):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-we-have-any-sales-data-production-number-of-stern-pins/page/2#postbox

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why would someone buy ACDC LE or 10k when they can get the prem for 6k?

From what I am told ACDC LE is now a collectors item of limited numbers that is going up in value, while you can still purchase a premium model new.

#48 10 years ago

I actually think the audio is pretty amazing. Can't see how they could improve the variety much given the cost to get voice actors on board. I guess mr burns would be nice on a re-issue.

I think the fact they got the Simpsons team on board really made them pull out all the stops at the time.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I actually think the audio is pretty amazing. Can't see how they could improve the variety much given the cost to get voice actors on board. I guess mr burns would be nice on a re-issue.
I think the fact they got The Simpsons team on board really made them pull out all the stops at the time.

It's a great audio package BUT the quality is very low and downsampled due to the Whitestar platform. Compare any Whitestar game to a SAM game. SAM games sound much better (and they're still not even Stereo). So just take that to the next level and you'd have a killer sounding game. They wouldn't have to get the voice actors back...the original recordings for the pinball should still be around somewhere and I'm sure they were recorded in a high quality environment - they probably just did it at the recording studio that they do the show. They just have to take what exists and present it on the next gen boardset.

#50 10 years ago

Nice shooting Dude!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 218.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totally-theoretical-tspp-anniversary-edition and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.