Rad1 (resized).png
DSCN8265 (resized).JPG
7D14994E-D494-41A5-A4BA-DC6425BC9932 (resized).jpeg
2EA9AE44-315B-4A21-972A-54C642CBB276 (resized).jpeg
905F3F78-9FDF-43E1-AE7C-10C21C3C9D8A (resized).jpeg
F5FC95FB-2439-43B2-883E-2101F2126BB3 (resized).jpeg
F0105262-6CA4-4120-B094-C27A7F167230 (resized).jpeg
E2C20FEF-DCB8-4488-8BB7-D78E2F366408 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 3 years ago

How much art-work was removed?

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Just some lettering from the center insert and part of the”2” near “go for the snake” . Only artwork from the inserts came off, nothing from the playfield that was printed on the wood. I still have some glue residue to remove but Justin did an awesome job removing the Mylar.
[quoted image][quoted image]

While it is dissasembled , could you measure the ball-gate for me?

#35 3 years ago

Would like to.know more about the "dry ice" please.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Which ball gate did you need me to measure? I can do that tonight, but the game has several and I want to make sure I measure the correct one for you.

Its the one in the right in-lane that I need.
Thanks.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

And a few more.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. Just what I needed

1 month later
#90 3 years ago

I have read that the reason these games have problems is because the process they were using at the time did not pay enough attention to giving enough tooth to the inserts. Add the heat from the bulbs to the equation.

2 months later
#100 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

More pics
[quoted image][quoted image]

What brand of paint is that? Or matched?

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I used this, deep blue. It’s a pretty good match to the original color.
[quoted image]

I was referring to the yellow. It looks real close.

1 week later
#108 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Got the playfield back from Neo, he also shot some clear on it to protect the work he did as I move forward the restoration. I still have a lot left to do but it was really great to get some help with colors I was struggling with. Neo did some nice work, I will be sanding the clear before I resume touching up but I thought I’d take a few pictures before I do.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. Which colors did he match?

1 month later
#132 2 years ago

I had the same idea, but I drew the leopord skin pattern with a paint pen. Color did not match well.

1 week later
#165 2 years ago

Amazing. I painted the white and black lines with a "posca" acrylic pen. I highly recommend these if you need a little touch-up here or there.

20210518_101246 (resized).jpg20210518_101246 (resized).jpg
#167 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Nice! Your playfield is looking great. I do use paint pens occasionally, but most of the time I am making stencils and airbrushing ( which is the reason why these projects take me forever )

Thanks, also do you have any advice on dealing with the jetbumper screws? My last coats, I hammered them back in almost fully seated and hammered them back out when I was finished spraying, but I dont think I want to do that again. I got a few more coats to apply. Maybe cut little circles from masking tape ?

1 week later
#187 2 years ago

Good idea!

#191 2 years ago

I take it you are not buying a reproduction if they become available.

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

The repro won’t hold

Is your old playfield too far gone to send off to Micro or CPR? I reached out to Micro and they said they would need someone to get them a decent playfield and they would do a run. I tried to convince some folks in another thread but was told to not get my hopes up

I aready sent mine to CPR. They thought it was good enough to be used. They are never going to find a NOS . They are going to need scan it and recreate missing artwork that I touched up. Mostly the orange leopard skin . So who knows how long it will take, but it will be available someday.

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

This made my day! Thank you for sending it to them. Means a lot to the community for members to send out their stuff! I know it’s not usually a quick process either. trilogybeer still has some mad skills and should keep this work of art installed

Yea. Original is best. But I consider buying one. I think I did a good job on mine but its still 30 years old and a few inserts are cracked . And even though it will be pretty smooth, most of the inserts are higher or lower. The inserts are notorious for reacting with clearcoat so I will wait and see how it stands up after its installed and starts taking a beating.

#203 2 years ago

Can't wait to see the finished product.

1 week later
#208 2 years ago

This is going to look amazing.

#215 2 years ago

Did you use the decals from the guy in the soviet union?

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from Boosterfive:

Is the reason you are not doing decals on the better condition playfield because you are worried about the effect of raised areas from the decals?
I would think that if you are going to clearcoat the field, then painting the decals on would be better in every way?
I really enjoy your restoration threads! Thank you for the time you put into posting about them!

I used a few of the decals . But it was the transparent areas that worried me. I did not think the clear coat would adhere. And scuffing it without ruining the printed areas was impossible. The decals lifted in a few areas as it turned out. But too late to do anything about it.

1 week later
#231 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

The second Radical is in pretty rough shape but I am confident that I can get it looking and playing pretty nice.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What are you going to do with it?

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

For the second Radical I will do a thorough shop job. Playfield will be disassembled, cleaned, buffed, waxed and I will put decals on the missing insert artwork. Mechs will get cleaned, worn out parts replaced, flippers rebuilt. Not as in depth as the first Radical but I will document it here and everyone following this thread can see what can become of a rough radical without getting too crazy. And lastly I will play it a bunch.

Would you be willing to part with the extra radical?

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

No, sorry for the confusion there isn’t an extra Radical. I am working on two but only one is mine and the other one belongs to a friend.

Oh..ok.

2 weeks later
#256 2 years ago

Did not even notice this when I dissasembled mine. How do you intend to fix it?

#258 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I’m going to use a T-nut, but I will need to modify the T-nut and shorten the thread base on the post as well.

A tee - nut? Brilliant! Could you upload the process ? I was reckoning on cutting a notch in the plate or drilling a hole in it, but that seams foolish now.

2 weeks later
2 weeks later
#303 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Good on you man, I wander if the repro would ever happen... there’s so much fluorescent ink to copy

Don't look like it will see the light of day. I sent mine to CPR so that the art-work could be scanned. And before they sent it back, asked if they could purchase it. Obviously I refused. Then they replied they need to own one to complete the CNC process. Whatever that means. The old one gets destroyed the process? Either way, they will never find a used one to buy.

#305 2 years ago
Quoted from Jo4114:

What did they offer you? How long ago? I know where a used one is.....

No idea what they would've offered me. But I would've only agreed if they sent me a brand new playfield in return. Couldn't hurt to ask. Contact " stu" from CPR.

#311 2 years ago

Loking good. Would be nice if the company that made those " playfield protectors" had a radical huh?

3 months later
#349 2 years ago

Looking good.

1 week later
#356 2 years ago

Congraduations!!!

2 weeks later
1 month later
#392 2 years ago

May I ask what modifications you performed to make it sit flush with the posts. Mine sits just under 1/4 " over the posts. Won't go lower because it bottoms out on the spinner housing. Should I cut some spacers and bolt it down or modify the posts and lower the spinner?

20220209_170038 (resized).jpg20220209_170038 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
PinSound

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totally-radicals?tu=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.