D9CDA62F-D681-4F3A-A130-FEC5ECBDC99B (resized).jpeg
68B3F4DC-665F-4E86-AB68-5CF77B265F4F (resized).jpeg
20180722_231121 (resized).jpg
20180722_231642 (resized).jpg
20180722_231424 (resized).jpg
20180722_231810 (resized).jpg
20180722_182310 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181110_090324 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Grew up in the era of early SS pins of the late 70s. I don’t think those great memories will ever fade. My first 2 Pins were of that time but since I’ve acquired my first 2 EMs(Aladdin’s castle and Space Mission), I have had a change of heart. Would love to hear stories from people that have that passion for the 70s EMs and your favorites.

There is just something wonderful that goes through your hands when playing these machines.

#8 5 years ago

The next 2 on my wish list would be Bally Wizard and Gottlieb Target Alpha but they don’t come cheap if they are in decent shape. Williams Grand Prix and Gottlieb Far Out would be my next 2. Anybody own any of these 4?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I too love the mid-1970's EM pins. I am amazed in what they could do with the technology that they had to work with. I'm partial to Bally pins of the era. Old Chicago, Captain Fantastic, Bow & Arrow -- great stuff. Working on a '74 Bally Amigo project right now.

How does your Bally Freedom rate with the rest of your pins? Does it have the pop bumper between the flippers? I saw one for sale last week in Indianapolis. About a 2 hour drive for me. I’m probably going to have to wait till the bank account grows a little but I’m always looking.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Mid to late 70s EMs. Those are really the only EMs I’ve really liked. Fast Draw, Grand Prix, Hot Tip, Joker Poker, Argosy, and Space Mission are all really good.

Agree. I’m going to the Arcade expo here in Louisville in 6 weeks and hopefully get a feel for my next purchase.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Once you get into a bunch of ramps, DMD displays, etc something is really lost instead of gained in my eyes.
What is kind of funny is I am in the hobby with my adult son and in his eyes if a machine didn't have a ramp in it then it wasn't any fun. As time has gone on he has actually warmed up to playing earlier SS machines and they are slowly taking over our collection. I am sure EM's will be the next step down that path once he gives a few a second chance.

That’s the way I feel exactly. To each their own but when the ramps started in the early 80s, I lost interest in any new pins. I was 17 in 1981 but was hooked on the games from 1975-1980.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Well, my Bally Freedom is just parts. I picked it up a few years back for free from a guy who made a coffee table project out of the playfield & cabinet. I got the complete backbox (with broken backglass) & the lower cabinet board and put them in storage. Turned out to be a great pickup for me, as the Amigo that I am working on now needed a game over lock relay and several coils - all of which I harvested off of Freedom. NEVER pass on parts games!

There’s one for sale near Cincinnati (2 hour drive) for $600. Said to be working. Playfield decent shape. The guy said the backglass is flaking and for some reason I’ve seen other Freedoms with bad flaking backglasses. Maybe just coincidence.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Freedom is a wonderful game. Especially if you like spinners.
Ours continues to be a family favorite!
E

I’m a Spinner Guy. All 4 of my current pins have them.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

I'm partial to the mid to late 70s gottlieb EMs. I grew up on these games back in the day when the large arcades were booming. I currently have seven refurbished games in my collection. Being an old fart, I appreciate the relative simplicity of the rule sets.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just beautiful. I’m now thinking my next pin is going to be a Gottlieb EM. I’ve got 3 Bally’s and 1 Williams, so it’s time.

#43 5 years ago

My pride and joy cleaned up finally. Cabinet touch up and backbox repaint next.
17D0C9D1-FDBF-4BA1-9BE4-AEF5B56F0FF3 (resized).jpeg17D0C9D1-FDBF-4BA1-9BE4-AEF5B56F0FF3 (resized).jpeg7E76C311-B923-41F4-AEFE-0D369CE964F9 (resized).jpeg7E76C311-B923-41F4-AEFE-0D369CE964F9 (resized).jpeg

#46 5 years ago

Thanks. Never knew how fun this one is to play too.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from weeze:

If you own Ballys or Williams Ems from the 70s and you can find gottlieb chime sets at a reasonable price, buy the rubber grommets and coil sleeves and put them into you games. Those chime sets are just SUPERIOR in sound! at least to my ears.
My first 15 years I owned a bunch of different games but eventually I ended up a bit heavy on the 70s 4 players Ballys. Now its 25 ,30 years later and I still own the first game I ever bought. Bally BOW & ARROW> still play and still love it. In all these years I have replaced bands, bulbs. TO this day the only breakdown its ever had was the first week I owned it one of the kick out holes went "poop". got a used coil and soldered it in. That is absolutely the only thing Ive ever had to work on besides maintenance.
Last ten years have been all about the 60s Wedgeheads from Gottleib that have backbox animation and are "add a balls" I guess cuz I grew up in New York State that was one of the two add a ball states. Only thing that will limit you is space. Pinball people are like goldfish, they grow thier collections to the size of the space they have!
I certainly welcome you into the fold , if you ever need advice there are some really incredible people here in the EM section!
Oh shoot, one other thing, comparatively speaking, I think most guys will tell you that the 4 player gotts are more complicated then the Wills or the Ballys. Thats been my expierience anyway. Your mileage may vary of course.
Good Luck to you!

Thanks Weeze. I’ve noticed how awesome the people are in this community. Thrilled to be here. I too think the Gottlieb chimes are better than the Bally and Williams. I always wondered if you could to put them into other companies’ 3 chime games. I guess the question then would be, do you want to change the originality of the games? Those are some sweet sounding chimes though.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I'm EM-only, and Target Alpha is my favorite (I drove from Michigan to Delaware and back in 24 hours to get one). My Grand Prix is generally a favorite when we have friends over. I have the rarer Team One, the add-a-ball version of Abra Ca Dabra, and I find it challenging. I have a Freedom, which is probably my fastest pin. A buzzer goes off for about 10 seconds when you reach 100,000, a great feature. I recently got a Strato-Flite, which is wide-open fun.
EMs have lots of advantages:
-lower price tag
-easier to get into the basement/gameroom because the head comes off
-generally readily repairable without the need to work on delicate circuit boards
-classic sound of chimes/bells, which almost sounds like music when a bunch are played simultaneously
-more durable
-still a blast to play

I didn’t know that the Freedom has that feature. My Aladdin’s Castle does too. Really a cool thing.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Sorry guys. I can apreciate older games, but I really enjoy modern pins a lot more. I know, I’ll get thumbs down for this, that’s ok.

It’s probably just what most of us grow up playing that sticks with us. It’s all good.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Please stop saying how great 70’s EMs are! The prices are just going to climb...
The 70’s multiplayers EMs are the best multiplayer pins ever!

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Like most people, I used to think ems were slow and dull. Then one night at our pinball League we played at a guy's house that had well cared for and restore EM's, and a couple of them I just kept going back to. Right away I bought my first two EMS I probably had half a dozen or so since then. Right now I have an Aladdin's Castle that iclearcoated to help preserve it and an Old Chicago. These games have something special about them. Despite the fact I have many newer games, it's fun to just strip it down to you and the ball, no ramps, dmds, bash toys...just being able to hear the ball roll around on a 50 year old piece of wood is transcendent in itself.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks really nice pinzrfun. Aladdin’s castle was my first EM. Now I have that along with a Space Mission and I love both of them. This one is mine and the pic with the 2 ladies is from the movie ‘Boogie Nights’. Note our friend in the background.

9B026BFC-BAB3-42D3-B156-8FA0B82A1BA9 (resized).jpeg9B026BFC-BAB3-42D3-B156-8FA0B82A1BA9 (resized).jpegFEFF03CA-BE81-43D1-840C-67073782FDA4 (resized).jpegFEFF03CA-BE81-43D1-840C-67073782FDA4 (resized).jpeg
#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I’ve passed on Target Alpha several times to hopefully get El Dorado. Target Alpha is a great game, may get it one day.

I missed out on an El Dorado on EBay that was a short drive away because I tried to make an offer instead of doing the ‘Buy it Now’.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Best to just sit back and see what comes your way. Never thought I’d own Ding Dong. Package deal that came with Volley. It’s actually a very fun game. There is a nice one on EBay.

I actually noticed the 1968 Ding Dong for sale on EBay this morning. I agree. 3 of the 4 pins I own were spur of the moment purchases and I enjoy them all. Kind of like going to the animal shelter to get a pet with no particular type in mind and you end up with a buddy for life.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Did you... happen... to see... a middle-pop Freedom for sale?!!? Because if you did, you must buy it immediately. And if not, you must PM me immediately! :p
Everyone here is lucky because we GET IT. Agreed with so much of what has already been said here. Let me add 2c more:
EM's (particularly multiplayers) provide THE BEST social experience in pinball, period. The reasons are many:
1) The sound of clicks, clacks, chimes, and bells are harmonious across all decades and create a unified "sound environment". A room full of 20 EM's with Led Zeppelin playing in the background puts everyone in the same 1970's headspace. Shared experience = that extra dimension we crave.
A room full of modern DMD's is cool, but everyone is in their own individual space/laser/fantasy/rock band environment of sound. Thus, the experience isn't as unified. More like everyone doing their own thing.
2) Short ball times. A 5-ball game between four players goes quickly. Lots of elbow rubbing and smack-talk and almost no waiting. The smartphone has no time to intrude here. Whereas many modern competitions LAST FOREVER... can get boring, and bored people aren't as social.
3) The mechanical/biological connection. EM's are "alive". You can sense every infinitesimal physical kick/clack/reaction with your fingertips and eardrums. This is a stronger kinesthetic connection than digitized callouts and music (though those can be quite good indeed if done well).
4) The EM rhythm! The heartbeat of the game. 500 points = 100-200-300-400-500. Press start: BUZZ-clacka-chacka-chack, clacka-chacka-chack, ticka-ticka-ticka-CLACK-CHUNK. All in the rhythm. The rhythm of the game. It's also in the score. It keeps you engaged for more.
Most of these aspects are pure serendipity. The original designers didn't get this deep into "pinball psychology"... it simply worked the way it did because technology of the time demanded it function more like a clock than a computer. But now, in hindsight, we're able to dive deeper and find out exactly why these things are so compelling. And, perhaps, eventually reclaim some of the magic.
My fleet:
Argosy
Aztec
Big Day
Bow & Arrow
Cleopatra
Dixieland
Expo
Flip Flop
Flipper Fair
Freedom
Grand Prix
Grand Tour
Gridiron (Williams pitch & bat)
Hang Glider
Ice Show
Joker Poker
Jumping Jack
Little Chief
Mini Pool
Old Chicago
Out Of Sight
Queen's Castle
Pioneer
Rancho
Sheba
Sinbad
Skyrocket
Snow Derby
Solids & Stripes
Spanish Eyes
STARS
Surf Side
Wizard!
My favorite is the middle-pop Freedom prototype. Multiplayer, huge figure-eight flow, random awards (but not rule-breaking), fantastic risk/reward, and best implementation of the middle-pop style. Spinners, drops, surprises, no waiting. Just has it all. It is Norm Clark's signature game IMHO, exactly when he was hired to lead Bally to its greatest period.
Some of my games turned out to be VASTLY better than I had originally expected: Expo, Flipper Fair, Hang Glider, Little Chief, Skyrocket, Surf Side

Great post. The Freedom has no pop bumper between the flippers on this one.

cincinnati.craigslist.org link

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

They also run the horn when you go "Over the top" on my Hokus Pokus. First time I saw those bulbs under there I had to come here to find out what they are for.

Same with Aladdin’s Castle. Pretty cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totally-falling-in-love-with-late-ems?tu=Sea_Wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.