D9CDA62F-D681-4F3A-A130-FEC5ECBDC99B (resized).jpeg
68B3F4DC-665F-4E86-AB68-5CF77B265F4F (resized).jpeg
20180722_231121 (resized).jpg
20180722_231642 (resized).jpg
20180722_231424 (resized).jpg
20180722_231810 (resized).jpg
20180722_182310 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181110_090324 (resized).jpg
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

How does your Bally Freedom rate with the rest of your pins? Does it have the pop bumper between the flippers? I saw one for sale last week in Indianapolis. About a 2 hour drive for me. I’m probably going to have to wait till the bank account grows a little but I’m always looking.

Did you... happen... to see... a middle-pop Freedom for sale?!!? Because if you did, you must buy it immediately. And if not, you must PM me immediately! :p

Everyone here is lucky because we GET IT. Agreed with so much of what has already been said here. Let me add 2c more:

EM's (particularly multiplayers) provide THE BEST social experience in pinball, period. The reasons are many:

1) The sound of clicks, clacks, chimes, and bells are harmonious across all decades and create a unified "sound environment". A room full of 20 EM's with Led Zeppelin playing in the background puts everyone in the same 1970's headspace. Shared experience = that extra dimension we crave.

A room full of modern DMD's is cool, but everyone is in their own individual space/laser/fantasy/rock band environment of sound. Thus, the experience isn't as unified. More like everyone doing their own thing.

2) Short ball times. A 5-ball game between four players goes quickly. Lots of elbow rubbing and smack-talk and almost no waiting. The smartphone has no time to intrude here. Whereas many modern competitions LAST FOREVER... can get boring, and bored people aren't as social.

3) The mechanical/biological connection. EM's are "alive". You can sense every infinitesimal physical kick/clack/reaction with your fingertips and eardrums. This is a stronger kinesthetic connection than digitized callouts and music (though those can be quite good indeed if done well).

4) The EM rhythm! The heartbeat of the game. 500 points = 100-200-300-400-500. Press start: BUZZ-clacka-chacka-chack, clacka-chacka-chack, ticka-ticka-ticka-CLACK-CHUNK. All in the rhythm. The rhythm of the game. It's also in the score. It keeps you engaged for more.

Most of these aspects are pure serendipity. The original designers didn't get this deep into "pinball psychology"... it simply worked the way it did because technology of the time demanded it function more like a clock than a computer. But now, in hindsight, we're able to dive deeper and find out exactly why these things are so compelling. And, perhaps, eventually reclaim some of the magic.

My fleet:

Argosy
Aztec
Big Day
Bow & Arrow
Cleopatra
Dixieland
Expo
Flip Flop
Flipper Fair
Freedom
Grand Prix
Grand Tour
Gridiron (Williams pitch & bat)
Hang Glider
Ice Show
Joker Poker
Jumping Jack
Little Chief
Mini Pool
Old Chicago
Out Of Sight
Queen's Castle
Pioneer
Rancho
Sheba
Sinbad
Skyrocket
Snow Derby
Solids & Stripes
Spanish Eyes
STARS
Surf Side
Wizard!

My favorite is the middle-pop Freedom prototype. Multiplayer, huge figure-eight flow, random awards (but not rule-breaking), fantastic risk/reward, and best implementation of the middle-pop style. Spinners, drops, surprises, no waiting. Just has it all. It is Norm Clark's signature game IMHO, exactly when he was hired to lead Bally to its greatest period.

Some of my games turned out to be VASTLY better than I had originally expected: Expo, Flipper Fair, Hang Glider, Little Chief, Skyrocket, Surf Side

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

My fleet:
Cleopatra

My favorite bonus countdown is Cleopatra. The timing of the 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, and 5000 chime sets is a pure pleasure to hear. That pin is wonderfully complex for an EM.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Did you... happen... to see... a middle-pop Freedom for sale?!!? Because if you did, you must buy it immediately. And if not, you must PM me immediately! :p
Everyone here is lucky because we GET IT. Agreed with so much of what has already been said here. Let me add 2c more:
EM's (particularly multiplayers) provide THE BEST social experience in pinball, period. The reasons are many:
1) The sound of clicks, clacks, chimes, and bells are harmonious across all decades and create a unified "sound environment". A room full of 20 EM's with Led Zeppelin playing in the background puts everyone in the same 1970's headspace. Shared experience = that extra dimension we crave.
A room full of modern DMD's is cool, but everyone is in their own individual space/laser/fantasy/rock band environment of sound. Thus, the experience isn't as unified. More like everyone doing their own thing.
2) Short ball times. A 5-ball game between four players goes quickly. Lots of elbow rubbing and smack-talk and almost no waiting. The smartphone has no time to intrude here. Whereas many modern competitions LAST FOREVER... can get boring, and bored people aren't as social.
3) The mechanical/biological connection. EM's are "alive". You can sense every infinitesimal physical kick/clack/reaction with your fingertips and eardrums. This is a stronger kinesthetic connection than digitized callouts and music (though those can be quite good indeed if done well).
4) The EM rhythm! The heartbeat of the game. 500 points = 100-200-300-400-500. Press start: BUZZ-clacka-chacka-chack, clacka-chacka-chack, ticka-ticka-ticka-CLACK-CHUNK. All in the rhythm. The rhythm of the game. It's also in the score. It keeps you engaged for more.
Most of these aspects are pure serendipity. The original designers didn't get this deep into "pinball psychology"... it simply worked the way it did because technology of the time demanded it function more like a clock than a computer. But now, in hindsight, we're able to dive deeper and find out exactly why these things are so compelling. And, perhaps, eventually reclaim some of the magic.
My fleet:
Argosy
Aztec
Big Day
Bow & Arrow
Cleopatra
Dixieland
Expo
Flip Flop
Flipper Fair
Freedom
Grand Prix
Grand Tour
Hang Glider
Ice Show
Joker Poker
Jumping Jack
Little Chief
Mini Pool
Old Chicago
Out Of Sight
Queen's Castle
Pioneer
Rancho
Sheba
Sinbad
Skyrocket
Snow Derby
Solids & Stripes
Spanish Eyes
STARS
Surf Side
Wizard!
My favorite is the middle-pop Freedom prototype. Multiplayer, huge figure-eight flow, random awards (but not rule-breaking), fantastic risk/reward, and best implementation of the middle-pop style. Spinners, drops, surprises, no waiting. Just has it all. It is Norm Clark's signature game IMHO, exactly when he was hired to lead Bally to its greatest period.
Some of my games turned out to be VASTLY better than I had originally expected: Expo, Flipper Fair, Hang Glider, Little Chief, Skyrocket, Surf Side

Great post. The Freedom has no pop bumper between the flippers on this one.

cincinnati.craigslist.org link

#104 5 years ago

Like the 70' Gottlieb multiplayers with drop targets !

flips (resized).jpgflips (resized).jpg
#105 5 years ago

One word..........Add-A-Ball !!!!!!

E

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Canoe223:

I got a kick discovering that a flasher lamp was used to time the duration of a tilt in the Bally Monte Carlo.

They also run the horn when you go "Over the top" on my Hokus Pokus. First time I saw those bulbs under there I had to come here to find out what they are for.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

My fleet:
Argosy
Aztec
Big Day
Bow & Arrow
Cleopatra
Dixieland
Expo
Flip Flop
Flipper Fair
Freedom
Grand Prix
Grand Tour
Hang Glider
Ice Show
Joker Poker
Jumping Jack
Little Chief
Mini Pool
Old Chicago
Out Of Sight
Queen's Castle
Pioneer
Rancho
Sheba
Sinbad
Skyrocket
Snow Derby
Solids & Stripes
Spanish Eyes
STARS
Surf Side
Wizard!

You nailed it. It’s amazing how a bank of EMs creates a harmonious soundscape (that you can still talk over) vs the din of electronic games in the same situation.

Plus the whole game is the ultimate “shaker”.

Plus these things are BUILT! More metal in one 70s EM than the entire production run of a modern Stern...

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

....."Did you... happen... to see... a middle-pop Freedom for sale?!!?"

I hope to play one of these mythical creatures sometime before I die!

E

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

They also run the horn when you go "Over the top" on my Hokus Pokus. First time I saw those bulbs under there I had to come here to find out what they are for.

Same with Aladdin’s Castle. Pretty cool.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

Same use form “over the top” in Capt Fantastic.

Dave

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from Calipindave:

Same use form “over the top” in Capt Fantastic.
Dave

As does Old Chicago....

the Bally Amigo I'm, working on just has a "100,000" light on the backglass

#112 5 years ago

My "falling in love" with 70's EM's is faltering a bit.... someone used a whole can of WD40 on every mech in the Bally Amigo I am rebuilding. What a frigging mess. EVERYTHING is locked solid, I'm running my ultrasonic overtime.

#113 5 years ago

Spotify is great to listen to while playing my EM...

F7AD2D2E-3FEF-43AE-9B7D-4E63E6652094 (resized).jpegF7AD2D2E-3FEF-43AE-9B7D-4E63E6652094 (resized).jpeg
#114 5 years ago

Hang Glider was my first pinball and will probably be the last to leave—-still love hearing the bonus countdown!

Sky Jump is a great drop target game that never gets old; every time I decide to let it go, I change my mind after a couple games!

Six Million Dollar Man feels like an EM, but has those fun early SS sounds.

After reading this thread, I find myself searching for EMs near me!

9742B1AE-B0E4-4A10-98AB-E570AEF60E11 (resized).png9742B1AE-B0E4-4A10-98AB-E570AEF60E11 (resized).png
#115 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

My "falling in love" with 70's EM's is faltering a bit.... someone used a whole can of WD40 on every mech in the Bally Amigo I am rebuilding. What a frigging mess. EVERYTHING is locked solid, I'm running my ultrasonic overtime.

Maybe you could fill the bathtub with varasol and dip the entire underside of the PF all at once?

...there's a special place in pinball heaven for you for going through the effort, many would just haul it to the dump.

#116 5 years ago

Beautiful games.

I love the electro mechanical pinballs too. I've always been fascinated with how they work and it's such a satisfying experience to play a game.
The power of the flippers as the ball rockets off them and the kickers/pops thumping the silver ball around, lights and bells going off and on, reels turning. All in a random pattern that will never be repeated when you play the next game. Each game is one of a kind.

My favorites are the woodrails. I really get a warm feeling that gives me joy when I see them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totally-falling-in-love-with-late-ems/page/3?hl=calipindave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.