D9CDA62F-D681-4F3A-A130-FEC5ECBDC99B (resized).jpeg
68B3F4DC-665F-4E86-AB68-5CF77B265F4F (resized).jpeg
20180722_231121 (resized).jpg
20180722_231642 (resized).jpg
20180722_231424 (resized).jpg
20180722_231810 (resized).jpg
20180722_182310 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181110_090324 (resized).jpg

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

I'm EM-only, and Target Alpha is my favorite (I drove from Michigan to Delaware and back in 24 hours to get one). My Grand Prix is generally a favorite when we have friends over. I have the rarer Team One, the add-a-ball version of Abra Ca Dabra, and I find it challenging. I have a Freedom, which is probably my fastest pin. A buzzer goes off for about 10 seconds when you reach 100,000, a great feature. I recently got a Strato-Flite, which is wide-open fun.

EMs have lots of advantages:
-lower price tag
-easier to get into the basement/gameroom because the head comes off
-generally readily repairable without the need to work on delicate circuit boards
-classic sound of chimes/bells, which almost sounds like music when a bunch are played simultaneously
-more durable
-still a blast to play

#52 5 years ago

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Chimes are great but man, there is nothing like a Gottlieb with bells, including a 100 point big bell. I have my Sing Along and King of Diamonds in an alcove in the gameroom.... it’s almost deafening..... in a great way!

Bells are awesome!!!

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from weeze:

NOOBIE< you have some beautiful games there Sir!

Thanks! Lots of blood, sweat and tears went into those games.

I'm with you on the Gottlieb chimes. Nothing like having all seven games being played in my basement at the same time. Music to my ears! Just got me a Gottlieb Pro Football. Like budman said, Cant wait to add that touchdown bell to the mix!

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I'm EM-only, and Target Alpha is my favorite (I drove from Michigan to Delaware and back in 24 hours to get one). My Grand Prix is generally a favorite when we have friends over. I have the rarer Team One, the add-a-ball version of Abra Ca Dabra, and I find it challenging. I have a Freedom, which is probably my fastest pin. A buzzer goes off for about 10 seconds when you reach 100,000, a great feature. I recently got a Strato-Flite, which is wide-open fun.
EMs have lots of advantages:
-lower price tag
-easier to get into the basement/gameroom because the head comes off
-generally readily repairable without the need to work on delicate circuit boards
-classic sound of chimes/bells, which almost sounds like music when a bunch are played simultaneously
-more durable
-still a blast to play

I didn’t know that the Freedom has that feature. My Aladdin’s Castle does too. Really a cool thing.

#56 5 years ago

The soft glow you get by turning on your EM’s in a dark room and with 60’s tunes playing is something special....

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Sorry guys. I can apreciate older games, but I really enjoy modern pins a lot more. I know, I’ll get thumbs down for this, that’s ok.

It’s probably just what most of us grow up playing that sticks with us. It’s all good.

#58 5 years ago

Please stop saying how great 70’s EMs are! The prices are just going to climb...
The 70’s multiplayers EMs are the best multiplayer pins ever!

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Please stop saying how great 70’s EMs are! The prices are just going to climb...
The 70’s multiplayers EMs are the best multiplayer pins ever!

#60 5 years ago

I’ve got a pretty hearty mix of early solid states, EMs, and DMD machines. As much as I love the long deep adventures that the DMD games give, there’s just something really organic about EMs.

Silkscreened art with the soft glow of gently blinking bulbs behind the back glass in a darkened room is really something special, especially when the art was selectively backlit

I just really love the themes and creative liberties that were taken then. We’ll probably never see art or themes quite like it ever again.

Pictures of the two artistic favorites in the collection:

4EFCFD7A-6E48-458F-A6AC-9DC31A28478F (resized).jpeg4EFCFD7A-6E48-458F-A6AC-9DC31A28478F (resized).jpeg
C4A493EB-11A7-4983-A179-E1F270490B2E (resized).jpegC4A493EB-11A7-4983-A179-E1F270490B2E (resized).jpeg

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’m a Spinner Guy. All 4 of my current pins have them.

I like drop targets myself, but there IS something about ripping the spinner & having those score reels sing.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I just really love the themes and creative liberties that were taken then. We’ll probably never see art or themes quite like it ever again.

You can say that again...
The stuff coming out lately is all copy and paste and God forbid you aren't into superheros or 40 year old rock bands your out of luck.

#63 5 years ago

I grew up on 60s games with 2 inch flippers but I love the 3 inch flipper games just as much. The 2 inch flipper games can be a real challenge, with no inlanes and much wider flipper gaps.

I own 12 games, seven with two inch flippers and five with three inch flippers. I've owned one SS game, Pinball Pool, and it was really kind of a hybrid SS/EM game, but after awhile, no bells/chimes and no clacking of relays, switches and steppers ended that one for me. I'm not against owning another, but the list is very limited. Joker Poker, Firepower and Flash Gordon is about the extent of it.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

but after awhile, no bells/chimes and no clacking of relays, switches and steppers ended that one for me.

I think that’s half the fun of an EM. Being able to hear everything click and clack and clunk, and the very distinct rhythm of the score motor as it counts up score multiples. It’s all so satisfying.

It still blows me away as to how much engineering and thought that had to go into them too with all that stuff. There were some very smart people sitting in a room someplace who engineered some of the coolest mechanical computers that truly stood the test of time.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I think that’s half the fun of an EM. Being able to hear everything click and clack and clunk, and the very distinct rhythm of the score motor as it counts up score multiples. It’s all so satisfying.
It still blows me away as to how much engineering and thought that had to go into them too with all that stuff. There were some very smart people sitting in a room someplace who engineered some of the coolest mechanical computers that truly stood the test of time.

Especially satisfying when you rebuild one from junk to player, every clunk & click you know exactly what it is that is making the noise.

#66 5 years ago

I can’t imagine playing a DMD game for an hour or more. I can play a handful of games in less than a half an hour. 4 million BC, Quick Draw, Fire ball, and El Dorado are all set up.

#67 5 years ago

In all honesty I don't think any collection is complete without a full mix of machines. If you have the space I think a mix of a couple of each era makes a lot of sense. I fully understand being "top heavy" on DMD machines over EM pins for some guys and being top heavy on EM pins over DMD machines for other guys but I think to fully understand the evolution of the hobby you need a full spectrum of machines.

To me the DMD collector should have at least one EM, one earlier SS machine, and the rest DMD machines if that is what he likes. On the flip side I think every EM guy with the space should consider having at least one DMD machine and a couple earlier SS machines even if they are outside his (or her) comfort zone. To fully understand just what an EM machine is you need to realize it is a mechanical computer and the easiest way to understand that is to put an early SS machine next to the EM and compare how they work.

There is no right or wrong in the hobby but from my experience the longer most people are in the hobby the more they realize a collection needs a little of everything in it. I think this is especially true for guys who start out with newer DMD SS machines. Over time they always seem to drift over to loving a few earlier machines also.

#68 5 years ago

The sights, sounds and smells of an EM! Not shown is an EM ball bowler.

IMG_20181110_090324 (resized).jpgIMG_20181110_090324 (resized).jpg

#69 5 years ago

Like most people, I used to think ems were slow and dull. Then one night at our pinball League we played at a guy's house that had well cared for and restore EM's, and a couple of them I just kept going back to. Right away I bought my first two EMS I probably had half a dozen or so since then. Right now I have an Aladdin's Castle that iclearcoated to help preserve it and an Old Chicago. These games have something special about them. Despite the fact I have many newer games, it's fun to just strip it down to you and the ball, no ramps, dmds, bash toys...just being able to hear the ball roll around on a 50 year old piece of wood is transcendent in itself.

20180722_182310 (resized).jpg20180722_182310 (resized).jpg

20180722_231642 (resized).jpg20180722_231642 (resized).jpg20180722_231424 (resized).jpg20180722_231424 (resized).jpg20180722_231810 (resized).jpg20180722_231810 (resized).jpg20180722_231121 (resized).jpg20180722_231121 (resized).jpg

#70 5 years ago

There are so many great titles in this group. For me nirvana was achieved
when I finally got my Bally top three; Wizard, Fireball and Capt Fantastic.
Still hoping to find a nice Flip-Flop to add to this line up.

The one we play the most is Wms AZTEC. Its my wifes favorite.
Others I really like ; Spanish Eyes, Bally Surfer (zipper flips), most Gtb wedge heads.
Have always liked the Gtb series 1 and 80's too, my faves are;
Spiderman, Black Hole, Mars:GOW, Circus, Sinbad, Genie and HH.

And as others have mentioned these can still be found for something
less than astronomical prices, usually needing work but certainly
worth the effort.

Glad to see a lot of interest in these now. For many years these
were the group to avoid by collectors which is one reason I
have so many!
Steve

#71 5 years ago
68B3F4DC-665F-4E86-AB68-5CF77B265F4F (resized).jpeg68B3F4DC-665F-4E86-AB68-5CF77B265F4F (resized).jpeg89E9D6EE-BD66-4C20-86B2-C279042EFB05 (resized).jpeg89E9D6EE-BD66-4C20-86B2-C279042EFB05 (resized).jpegD9CDA62F-D681-4F3A-A130-FEC5ECBDC99B (resized).jpegD9CDA62F-D681-4F3A-A130-FEC5ECBDC99B (resized).jpeg
#72 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Like most people, I used to think ems were slow and dull. Then one night at our pinball League we played at a guy's house that had well cared for and restore EM's, and a couple of them I just kept going back to. Right away I bought my first two EMS I probably had half a dozen or so since then. Right now I have an Aladdin's Castle that iclearcoated to help preserve it and an Old Chicago. These games have something special about them. Despite the fact I have many newer games, it's fun to just strip it down to you and the ball, no ramps, dmds, bash toys...just being able to hear the ball roll around on a 50 year old piece of wood is transcendent in itself.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks really nice pinzrfun. Aladdin’s castle was my first EM. Now I have that along with a Space Mission and I love both of them. This one is mine and the pic with the 2 ladies is from the movie ‘Boogie Nights’. Note our friend in the background.

9B026BFC-BAB3-42D3-B156-8FA0B82A1BA9 (resized).jpeg9B026BFC-BAB3-42D3-B156-8FA0B82A1BA9 (resized).jpegFEFF03CA-BE81-43D1-840C-67073782FDA4 (resized).jpegFEFF03CA-BE81-43D1-840C-67073782FDA4 (resized).jpeg
#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Gave it a Thumbs Up for creatively. That is hopefully a '1 of a Kind'. But if you are a "Bally Table King" then this would be the required throne chair.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Gave it a Thumbs Up for creatively. That is hopefully a '1 of a Kind'. But if you are a "Bally Table King" then this would be the required throne chair.

That IS cool.

#75 5 years ago

Is there a reason that all the games in the EM era, and this thread, are referred to by the names of the game, as opposed to the DMD era, all the games are always referred to by the initials? Maybe the DMD names are longer?

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Is there a reason that all the games in the EM era, and this thread, are referred to by the names of the game

Guess we're old school.....

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Is there a reason that all the games in the EM era, and this thread, are referred to by the names of the game, as opposed to the DMD era, all the games are always referred to by the initials? Maybe the DMD names are longer?

Perhaps it's a guesswork thing. I would expect that the number of EMs out there are much more significant then DMD games and when referring to DMD games it is frequently the same 50 or 100 ... when you say TAF everybody knows what it is.

There are also a number of EMs that have similar names..

Dave

#78 5 years ago

Yep Fast Draw and Surf Champ are my two favorites and will be the last to leave.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Is there a reason that all the games in the EM era, and this thread, are referred to by the names of the game, as opposed to the DMD era, all the games are always referred to by the initials?

Respect.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Target Alpha is my favorite (I drove from Michigan to Delaware and back in 24 hours to get one)

Similarly, I drove to St. Louis from MI for my Target Alpha. The east coast seems to be a hotbed for TA but there's still a lot in OH/MI/IN/IL according to pinside.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 5.12.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 5.12.06 PM (resized).png
#81 5 years ago

EMs rule. I love getting one dirt cheap and spending an hour and zero dollars on it and getting it working.

Of course like once a year I get one that absolutely drives me insane. I guess the same can happen on a digital game.

EMs will always be cheap and plentiful and that's a wonderful thing for a hobby that too many people barge into thinking the only game they want is TZ causing them to declare it a "rich man's hobby." If you don't enjoy EMs you have terrible taste.

#82 5 years ago

I brought home a Target Alpha from Expo, and it became the most played machine in my collection. Love the "no bullshit" factor...no ball saves, no extra balls (most of the time lol), no ramps, etc.
The bells and chimes are music to my ears, as is actually hearing the ball rolling around the playfield. Outta funds and space temporarily, but can't wait to pick up another em.

#83 5 years ago

I’ve passed on Target Alpha several times to hopefully get El Dorado. Target Alpha is a great game, may get it one day.

#84 5 years ago

No love for EM’s is what kept me from registering at pinside for a couple years. After Robin added EM forums I figured the site was finally legit and joined up.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I’ve passed on Target Alpha several times to hopefully get El Dorado. Target Alpha is a great game, may get it one day.

I missed out on an El Dorado on EBay that was a short drive away because I tried to make an offer instead of doing the ‘Buy it Now’.

#86 5 years ago

Best to just sit back and see what comes your way. Never thought I’d own Ding Dong. Package deal that came with Volley. It’s actually a very fun game. There is a nice one on EBay.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Best to just sit back and see what comes your way. Never thought I’d own Ding Dong. Package deal that came with Volley. It’s actually a very fun game. There is a nice one on EBay.

I actually noticed the 1968 Ding Dong for sale on EBay this morning. I agree. 3 of the 4 pins I own were spur of the moment purchases and I enjoy them all. Kind of like going to the animal shelter to get a pet with no particular type in mind and you end up with a buddy for life.

#88 5 years ago

I wish O-din was here to chime in. He's got a great em collection and has always been great for an opinion on which one's to look for and which one's to avoid.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I would LOVE to have those drops stay dropped, but it makes me try harder. Plus El Dorado is one pricey freakin EM.

#90 5 years ago

My first pin was RRWOZ. Still love it but I’m all about the 70’s GTB wedgeheads lately. The best EMs have something that many new NIB pins lack these days... charm.

#91 5 years ago

Go to YouTube ....Vic Camp Pinball: Nick’s Collection . There are four short videos. It’s a real treat to see these beautiful games of Nick Rascilla’s. He restored four games for me and they are stellar. As good as the video is, seeing them in person is special.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

He's got a great em collection and has always been great for an opinion on which one's to look for and which one's to avoid.

He always struck me as an early EM and a (Harry) Williams guy, which is something I can totally get behind. Mid to Late 70s games are great, no doubt, but there was a TON of experimentation in the 40s, 50s and 60s. He's got good taste.

---

Quoted from spinal:

I’m all about the 70’s GTB wedgeheads lately.

Same. I've had a bit of a renaissance when it comes to game preference. I love wedgeheads for their depth of play that persists the entire game, but then I started to really like multiplayer games because... "It's more fun to compete and to invite competition" especially on games like Royal Flush where there's genuine strategy and different ways to approach the game. But then I got back into wedgeheads because they're small, fun as hell, look great, and I honestly don't have too many friends willing to play pinball as much as I do

At some point, I'd like to start getting into woodrails. There's always a row at the local shows, and they're always an absolute blast to play.

#93 5 years ago

I love the old EM machines, so many great memories from my youth. I own a Williams Aztec that was a major project to have repaired. Also recently picked up my Holy Grail machine at the York, PA show a Gottlieb Spin a Card. This is the machine title that my Mom and I would play after school back in the early 80's at a local bowling alley. Being a single player we would take turns each ball and rack up max free games at 15 and leaving them up on the machine for somebody to play off that night. Even for being in the 1980's it was 10 cents a play, Mom would buy me an Iced Tea for 50 cents and a piece of beef jerky for 35 cents so for a total of 95 cents Mom and I would be entertained for 2 1/2 hours. Earlier this month it was 20 years since God called Mom home, wish she was still here to play.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Pappy2112:

wish she was still here to play.

Yes, I know.. I'm happy you have your memorable Pinball Machine!

#96 5 years ago

One thing I love about ems, is playing for Specials. I love hitting the 5000 target on Wizard! when lit for a free game. Here are a few that I currently own. I love the way pins can light up a basement !

IMG_4719 (resized).JPGIMG_4719 (resized).JPG
#97 5 years ago

I just put down a deposit for an Abra Ca Dabra; it needs a lil work, and sadly I only have room for 3 games in my garage. Am I crazy to be thinking of selling my quick draw? Ideally, I’d like to sell my royal guard to make room..these ems are making me craaaaazy..

#98 5 years ago

I folded up my Fast Draw after a solid 8 years of playing it. I refuse to sell it. It’s an amazing game.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Some say the art but I just find the electro mechanical engineering of these machines extraordinary.

I got a kick discovering that a flasher lamp was used to time the duration of a tilt in the Bally Monte Carlo.

#100 5 years ago

Do you hate being the last poster on a page? I do...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totally-falling-in-love-with-late-ems/page/2?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.