Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by Mank
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
    20210130_111032 (resized).jpg
    Eclipse 6 (resized).jpg
    Eclipse 5 (resized).jpg
    1200x0 (resized).jpg
    6B5EF91F-1D77-4FAA-BED3-7B1B3037BBAE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobmathuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 11 months ago

We did the 2017 eclipse in the middle of nowhere (nearest town was Howe, ID). Great experience. Planning to do 2024 in Texas despite the fact that it passes over where my Dad and I grew up on what would have been his 100th birthday (weather likelier to be cloudy there). Took photos in 2017 with solar filters on all cameras, also have a filter for my upgraded telescope. My avatar on the other pinball forum is the "diamond ring" photo we took in 2017. Got some fun shots of prominences and "Bailey's Beads" too.

Eclipse 5 (resized).jpgEclipse 5 (resized).jpgEclipse 6 (resized).jpgEclipse 6 (resized).jpg
    10 months later
    #24 27 days ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Amazing photos, Iā€™d love to hear more about your gear.

We used a Canon 5DS with a 100-400mm lens (and a solar filter except during totality), zoomed out all the way, for most of our the stills. Since there were sunspots at the time, the partial phase photos have plenty of those in them. I used my Canon SX70HS for video, though that proved a problem when I realized that the video doesn't do manual focus and it shifted mid-take. My avatar image on Tiltforums is on of the "diamond ring" images (with the 5DS) from just as the sun began to reappear at the end of totality.

For this year, I now have a Canon 5R with a 600mm fixed lens and accompanying solar filter; we'll use both that and the prior 5DS/100-400 setup, each on a tripod. Note that during totality, the sun's movement is less than the width of the frame with modest zoom lenses if the image is properly positioned at the beginning of that phase - - just "lead" the shot, i.e. position it so that the eclipsed sun moves through the frame. That way you don't need to adjust the tripod again until after the sun reappears. PRACTICE that with a solar filter on before eclipse day!

BTW, solar filters come in a few different densities, generally ranging from 16.5 stops to 18 stops. This means that your exposure / f-stop / ISO settings during the partial phases will not be exactly the same as any guide you read unless you're using the same filter factor as the guide does.

You should also decide what you want to image in your shots ahead of time. Fast shots will show prominences; medium shots will show a blend of prominence glow and the inner corona; longer shots will show the corona further out. You can look at samples and their different settings online. It's more of an aesthetic choice - - some of each or concentrating on a particular subject. Personally, I like the prominences better; my wife and I will probably "divide and conquer" with me taking more fast shots and her taking more longer exposures.

Finally, DON'T FORGET TO LOOK! (With solar glasses on when any of the sun is visible.) Don't "just" take photos, enjoy the moment live, too!

Good luck to all of us re clear skies that day wherever we are!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobmathuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-solar-eclipse-4-8-24?tu=bobmathuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.