Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Niterider
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5J5A0073A (resized).jpg
    Eclipse solar flares (resized).jpeg
    ffxrychv5dtc1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0598 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 5.21.22 PM (resized).png
    IMG_8743.jpeg
    1712604583877 (resized).jpg
    1712604152889 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1049 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1063 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1069 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1052 (resized).jpeg
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7204 (resized).jpeg
    There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 1 year ago

Exactly 1 year from today, on April 8, 2024, there will be a total solar eclipse. As it turns out, my beloved Buffalo, NY will be on the Path of Totality with the moon completely blocking the sun except for the outer ring of fire. Plenty of time to plan events.
    https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eclipses/2024/apr-8-total/where-when/

6B5EF91F-1D77-4FAA-BED3-7B1B3037BBAE (resized).jpeg6B5EF91F-1D77-4FAA-BED3-7B1B3037BBAE (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

Just read about this yesterday.

#3 1 year ago

I am in the path of the total eclipse and recently bought a solar shield for my telescope. Had this planned for 7 years or whenever the last eclipse was.

#4 1 year ago

The one in 2017 passed right over us in Blue Ridge GA. We rented a boat and sat on the lake with thousands of other people. Lots of partying going on and then complete silence during the event.

It is everything you've ever heard about it. I recommend getting out of town and see it in nature where you can really appreciate it.

#5 1 year ago

So that's when the world will finally end!
    Thanks for the heads up. Got some plans to make.

#6 1 year ago

I’m so pumped. Finally coming my way.

#7 1 year ago

San Antonia is super lucky as they get two eclipse events in 6 months.

1200x0 (resized).jpg1200x0 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

We did the 2017 eclipse in the middle of nowhere (nearest town was Howe, ID). Great experience. Planning to do 2024 in Texas despite the fact that it passes over where my Dad and I grew up on what would have been his 100th birthday (weather likelier to be cloudy there). Took photos in 2017 with solar filters on all cameras, also have a filter for my upgraded telescope. My avatar on the other pinball forum is the "diamond ring" photo we took in 2017. Got some fun shots of prominences and "Bailey's Beads" too.

Eclipse 5 (resized).jpgEclipse 5 (resized).jpgEclipse 6 (resized).jpgEclipse 6 (resized).jpg
    #9 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

e did the 2017 eclipse in the middle of nowhere (nearest town was Howe, ID).

I drove down to Tennessee for the 2017 one. It was an absolutely amazing trip. My only regret was not booking a hotel room for that night. I figured I would drive for a bit and then just grab a hotel. I didn't find one until I was in New York. The traffic leaving the line of the eclipse was just crazy. I was in a tiny little town, but everyone flocks to where the total line goes through. This time I will be prepared for the aftermath.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

The one in 2017 passed right over us in Blue Ridge GA. We rented a boat and sat on the lake with thousands of other people. Lots of partying going on and then complete silence during the event.

I remember that. I didn't want to mess with the boat, instead we watched it on lounge chair floats on Lake Allatoona.

I like the moon eclipses better actually. Late at night, drinking beer, relaxing, and already where I will be for the rest of the night.

10 months later
    #11 49 days ago

Time to get this thread moving again. 38 days until the total solar eclipse. Time to prepare with the “eclipse glasses” so you don’t burn out your retinas looking right at it (actually a thing). In Buffalo, they are actually starting to treat it like a natural disaster. Schools shut down. Hospitals rearranging schedules. Considering a travel ban. I kid you not. “Mass hysteria. Dogs and cats living together.”

#12 49 days ago

I’m taking the day off and traveling to the zone of totality in nearby East Texas. It should be a nice experience.

I’ve got an Astronomy thread going, but not much traction so far.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/astronomy-fans-and-observers-share-your-hobby#post-8039547

#13 49 days ago
    Quoted from Mank:

Time to get this thread moving again. 38 days until the total solar eclipse. Time to prepare with the “eclipse glasses” so you don’t burn out your retinas looking right at it (actually a thing). In Buffalo, they are actually starting to treat it like a natural disaster. Schools shut down. Hospitals rearranging schedules. Considering a travel ban. I kid you not. “Mass hysteria. Dogs and cats living together.”

A welding sheild works well also. We are out of the total path, but plan to watch from the pontoon boat.

20210130_111032 (resized).jpg20210130_111032 (resized).jpg
    #14 49 days ago

I booked a hotel outside of Niagara Falls, because we’re just outside of the total eclipse coverage. The first 3 hotels that I looked at were booked solid, and that was a couple months ago.

#15 49 days ago

For welding shield, make sure its a level 14

#16 49 days ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

A welding sheild works well also. We are out of the total path, but plan to watch from the pontoon boat.[quoted image]

I wouldn’t recommend a welding helmet, I don’t think they block all the UV rays properly.

Try to get glasses rated iso 12312-2

#17 49 days ago

We’re going to Burlington VT Sunday through Tuesday so as to not travel on the day of. Booked hotel like a year ago. Risk of weather in New England but it’s fairly close to home. If rained out we will have a fun time in Burlington.

#18 49 days ago

We went to SE Missouri to see the 2017 eclipse. Such a great experience. Found a small town just off I-55 where everyone was gathered in the park in the middle of town. Saw shadow bands and then everyone cheered at totality.

Funny thing is the town we went to in 2017 is in the totality path again this year. Would be great to go there again but we’re instead just going a bit east for it for a day trip. Still have extra solar glasses from that 2017 trip and we’re looking forward to it!!!

#19 49 days ago

I bought a 10 pack of paper solar glasses from BandH.com/eclipse for a cheap price. The glasses are made in USA by American Paper Optics, Bartlet, Tn. I think I paid less than $20, including shipping. Get them now while you're thinking of them.

#20 49 days ago

It’s funny how these eclipses happen. Buffalo is in the Path of Totality and the last time that happened in Buffalo was just over 100 years ago. Once in a lifetime. San Antonio is going to be in the Path of Totality on April 8, 2024. San Antonio’s last total solar eclipse…October 14, 2023. Yawn.

#21 49 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Took photos in 2017 with solar filters on all cameras

Amazing photos, I’d love to hear more about your gear.

#22 49 days ago
    Quoted from Mank:

It’s funny how these eclipses happen. Buffalo is in the Path of Totality and the last time that happened in Buffalo was just over 100 years ago. Once in a lifetime. San Antonio is going to be in the Path of Totality on April 8, 2024. San Antonio’s last total solar eclipse…October 14, 2023. Yawn.

October 14 was an annular eclipse, not a total eclipse. This one is the real deal. I'll get 3.5 minutes of totality and don't have to go anywhere. I have a solar filter for my telescope so plan on using that until we get totality, then just look at it and start a 3 minute 15 second timer. I want to be sure and stop looking before the sun comes back.

#23 49 days ago
    Quoted from spidey:

October 14 was an annular eclipse, not a total eclipse. This one is the real deal. I'll get 3.5 minutes of totality and don't have to go anywhere. I have a solar filter for my telescope so plan on using that until we get totality, then just look at it and start a 3 minute 15 second timer. I want to be sure and stop looking before the sun comes back.

For the one in 2017 I used an iPhone app called Solar Eclipse Timer. It was really good. I plan on using it again this year.

#24 48 days ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Amazing photos, I’d love to hear more about your gear.

We used a Canon 5DS with a 100-400mm lens (and a solar filter except during totality), zoomed out all the way, for most of our the stills. Since there were sunspots at the time, the partial phase photos have plenty of those in them. I used my Canon SX70HS for video, though that proved a problem when I realized that the video doesn't do manual focus and it shifted mid-take. My avatar image on Tiltforums is on of the "diamond ring" images (with the 5DS) from just as the sun began to reappear at the end of totality.

For this year, I now have a Canon 5R with a 600mm fixed lens and accompanying solar filter; we'll use both that and the prior 5DS/100-400 setup, each on a tripod. Note that during totality, the sun's movement is less than the width of the frame with modest zoom lenses if the image is properly positioned at the beginning of that phase - - just "lead" the shot, i.e. position it so that the eclipsed sun moves through the frame. That way you don't need to adjust the tripod again until after the sun reappears. PRACTICE that with a solar filter on before eclipse day!

BTW, solar filters come in a few different densities, generally ranging from 16.5 stops to 18 stops. This means that your exposure / f-stop / ISO settings during the partial phases will not be exactly the same as any guide you read unless you're using the same filter factor as the guide does.

You should also decide what you want to image in your shots ahead of time. Fast shots will show prominences; medium shots will show a blend of prominence glow and the inner corona; longer shots will show the corona further out. You can look at samples and their different settings online. It's more of an aesthetic choice - - some of each or concentrating on a particular subject. Personally, I like the prominences better; my wife and I will probably "divide and conquer" with me taking more fast shots and her taking more longer exposures.

Finally, DON'T FORGET TO LOOK! (With solar glasses on when any of the sun is visible.) Don't "just" take photos, enjoy the moment live, too!

Good luck to all of us re clear skies that day wherever we are!

#25 48 days ago

Great info, thank you very much!!

#26 48 days ago
    Quoted from spidey:October 14 was an annular eclipse, not a total eclipse. This one is the real deal. I'll get 3.5 minutes of totality and don't have to go anywhere. I have a solar filter for my telescope so plan on using that until we get totality, then just look at it and start a 3 minute 15 second timer. I want to be sure and stop looking before the sun comes back.

Ahhh…the annular eclipse has a rim of the sun still visible when the moon passes between the earth and the sun, but a total eclipse, because the moon is closer to the earth when it passes between the earth and sun, blocks out the sun completely. Thanks spidey
    Todays Pinside astronomy lesson.

IMG_0053 (resized).jpegIMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
    #27 48 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Finally, DON'T FORGET TO LOOK! (With solar glasses on when any of the sun is visible.) Don't "just" take photos, enjoy the moment live, too!

Good luck to all of us re clear skies that day wherever we are!

Great advice there on the photos and remembering to look live for the memories.

I’ll second that hope for clear skies too. In 2017 we stayed in a suburb of St Louis expecting to see totality there. Woke up and the forecast was 50/50 for cloud cover, so we loaded up and drove about 90 minutes south to where clear skies were 100% forecast for the day. Hoping the weather cooperates at least that well this year.

#28 42 days ago

One month from today, people.

3 weeks later
    #29 18 days ago

Total eclipse is 1 week from today. Announcing a State of Emergency For Niagara Falls which is like 20 minutes from Buffalo as they are expecting 1,000,000 people. Buffalo and Cleveland are expecting huge influxes of people too. This is the forecast for Buffalo. Still too early to fully predict clouds or not as the forecast yesterday had full sun on Monday 4/8.
    Get your eclipse glasses.
    Where are people heading, or like me, just staying home and looking up?

IMG_0465 (resized).pngIMG_0465 (resized).png
    #30 18 days ago

About 8 months ago I booked a hotel room in port colburne just southwest of Niagara Falls on the beach. I don’t think we’ll go into Niagara Falls, to avoid the huge crowds

IMG_7175 (resized).jpegIMG_7175 (resized).jpeg
    #31 18 days ago

Had a reservation to stay near Terra Haute so we could move relatively easily any direction to get to an area in totality with clear weather. But kids ended up having sports games scheduled for Monday so had to cancel. Saw the one 7 years ago with totality in clear skies and it was amazing. Was really looking forward to this one but will just have to stick around another 20 years to catch the next one . Should still be a decent partial eclipse at home though.

Hoping for clear weather Monday for everyone to catch it wherever you are.

#32 18 days ago

Heading back to my hometown of Kingston, ON. Been like 700 years since it was in the path of totality. I can barely remember it haha. Kingston is known for rain so i’m hoping for clear skies.

Here is a screenshot of my sister telling me about this. To see the humour in it - her bday is April 8th lol

IMG_0350 (resized).jpegIMG_0350 (resized).jpeg
    #33 16 days ago

Sunny skies here every day from now until just hours before the eclipse, when clouds roll in. I keep checking every day, but the 8th is still cloudy.

#34 16 days ago

Good news, I live in the path of totality.
    Bad news, it's Columbus - one of the cloudiest cities in the USA. Hoping for a clearer day, but if it's not I'll be driving somewhere...

#35 16 days ago

Been looking at this all week. Just upgraded from just cloudy Monday to sunny with clouds. Nice for Sunday and Tuesday to be sunny (who the hell is in charge anyway???).

IMG_0355 (resized).pngIMG_0355 (resized).png
    #36 16 days ago

Seriously?

IMG_0488 (resized).pngIMG_0488 (resized).png
    #37 14 days ago

We went to South Carolina to watch the 2017 total solar eclipse, and it was probably the most amazing sight I've seen.

For 2024, we are staying in Stowe, VT. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as Monday appears to be the only predicted sunny day of the week.

For those who haven't seen one and are planning to see this one, it will blow you away. It is just hard to describe how amazing totality is.

#38 14 days ago

Schools are closed in our area. I’m learning there are a million versions of “cloudy.” I’ve seen some picture of old eclipses where the clouds make it look absolutely fantastic.

#39 13 days ago

Got all the crap out for a test at the park today .

Gave some kids a view of the massive ejection
    IMG_20240406_170816.jpgIMG_20240406_170816.jpg

#40 13 days ago

Put 3 different batteries into 4 helmets.

They all take something different

IMG_20240406_174351.jpgIMG_20240406_174351.jpg

#41 13 days ago

If you are using welding masks, make sure they go higher than 12 darkness.

The glass itself will block the UV, but it has to get dark enough in the screen to be comfortable.

Myself, I set them to 13, which is perfect

#42 12 days ago
    IMG_0338.gifIMG_0338.gif
    #43 12 days ago

Just watched a drone and fireworks show in the small town of Marshall, Illinois. A VERY good show.

They have pulled out all the stops for the eclipse. Lots of parking, although the predicted rain on Sunday may reduce availability of parking on Monday.

Just saying I’m impressed with what they are doing to welcome as many people as possible to their town.

#44 12 days ago

I’m not sure why, but the eclipse is traveling east. Dallas is at 1:43 pm and Buffalo is 3:18 pm. So, if you’re going to go chasing it in your car, now you can at least go in the right direction.

#45 12 days ago
    Quoted from Mank:

I’m not sure why, but the eclipse is traveling east. Dallas is at 1:43 pm and Buffalo is 3:18 pm. So, if you’re going to go chasing it in your car, now you can at least go in the right direction.

I had to look this up- it's because the moon moves west to east (and therefore so does it's shadow).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-a-solar-eclipse-move-west-to-east/

#46 12 days ago

Supposed to be partial here, but at least the forecast is for clear skies, which is not the norm here this time of year.

#47 12 days ago

Friend has a place in Maine. We are going to a remote area called Shin Pond directly in center of path . Weather calling for sunny skies.

#48 12 days ago

I’ll be heading to Kingston, Ontario. I wish the weather forecast was better but I’ll still do my best.

#49 12 days ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Friend has a place in Maine. We are going to a remote area called Shin Pond directly in center of path . Weather calling for sunny skies.

Wow! Lucky!

#50 12 days ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

We are going to a remote area called Shin Pond directly in center of path .

We will find you.

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-solar-eclipse-4-8-24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.