Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1503457873761 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143847251 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145205215_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145328451 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143751645 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143943558_HDR (resized).jpg
    5382 (resized).jpg
    5363 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1912 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1908 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1902 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

We're traveling to Charleston, SC in August to see the eclipse.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

Charleston, SC as well.

Oh cool! Welcome to Charleston!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks!
    Any recommendations for things to do down there for a family that's never been to the city? We're thinking about a horse drawn carriage tour and a walking ghost tour at night. Would love to hear other suggestions.

I'm not going to lie, we are expecting a million visitors that weekend, so things here are going to be freaking INSANE.

Carriage tour is a must if you've never been here, ghost tours are just okay. There is a lot of history in Charleston and you will learn a lot on the carriage tour. One of the cool historic places I like downtown is the Old Exchange Building & Provost Dungeon: http://oldexchange.org

There is some fantastic food here, but you might have trouble getting reservations at this point. Some great places to eat in the area are:

Edmund's Oast, Opal, Husk, Cru Cafe, Poogan's Porch

It's the end of August, so prepare for some hot and humid weather. Beaches are nearby if you want to go sun a little bit. The aquarium here is pretty cool I think.

Check pinballmap.com for all the pins around the area as well, we have a good group here that keeps it pretty updated. Most every restaurant that has pins also has good food. Dog and Duck, Kickin' Chicken, Charleston Sports Pub, the Alley, etc... all good places.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

And how bad do you think Rt17 is going to be?

falling-down_5.jpgfalling-down_5.jpg

Oh, also.... beware of lizardmen......

http://fortune.com/2017/08/10/2017-solar-eclipse-south-carolina-lizardmen/

#41 6 years ago

Just put some solar filter material on the video camera, hoping to catch some of the eclipse with it.

solarfilter.pngsolarfilter.png

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nobody successfully predicts Charleston weather a week out.

I think Thursday we will have a better idea.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

wolfmarsh , The weather in Charleston is no longer looking so good. What are local forecasters saying? It looks like things might be a bit better if you drive 2 hours inland. That may be my back up plan: wake up at 6am to beat the traffic and try to get somewhere with less cloud coverage.

At the moment, it's looking like it might be a little stormy. Thunderstorms come and go here pretty quickly, so even if it does storm I'm hoping for some viewing.

I'm still very hopeful.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

In short, it will be what it will be.

Enjoy your first trip to Charleston, don't let some clouds ruin it. Even if it's cloudy, NASA is going to have some great streams and you are still in one of the coolest cities.

#70 6 years ago

Just checking the weather here in Charleston, now they've put up the hourly forecast through Monday at 3pm.

It still looks liked scattered thunderstorms in the area, but thunderstorms here are small and move pretty quickly. It's only a 50% chance of rain which is down from the 60% they were predicting. Hopefully it continues that trend.

EDIT: Looking at a different local station's hourly forecast, they've lowered the chance of rain to 20% at 2pm, which is prior to the full eclipse.

Things might be looking up.

#73 6 years ago

The road from Charleston to Columbia is I-26, and I-95 also dumps into it. It's the main road to get to Charleston aside from 17.

I have no clue how bad that will be, we've never really had this many people in the area. It will probably get a little crazy, best bet is just to keep an eye on waze and see what it says your estimated travel time will be and decide.

Even if there are a few clouds, we've decided we are staying put.

If you want a potentially cool way to watch it, the soccer stadium here is going to be letting people onto the field with some event type stuff going on, and showing the NASA feeds on the huge jumbotron.

http://abcnews4.com/news/charleston-area-events/solar-eclipse-viewing-part-at-musc-health-stadium

It's a good clean stadium with good parking, shares a lot with a software company here.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Waze says 7 hours to Isle of Palms, where we rented a house just outside Charleston

You'll have great viewing from Isle of Palms I think if the clouds cooperate.

NASA arrived here in Charleston earlier this morning.

Traffic looks like it is still fast moving at this time.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

The outlook looked a little better this morning than it did last night I think, so I continue to keep my fingers crossed. Ironically, we've had two perfect days of travel weather but spent them stuck in a car.

Hope you guys continue to have a safe drive. Looks like traffic is starting to build south of DC but it sounds like you are already past that. Still looks like clear driving from Richmond to Charleston.

#80 6 years ago

Found this post on imgur interesting about the 1999 eclipse. In former Yugoslavia the government mounted a campaign to warn people about false dangers from the eclipse and that they should stay inside.

http://imgur.com/gallery/SuQtW

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Much smoother driving today. Got in at 5:30. Isle of Palms is beautiful. Already went swimming in the ocean and watched he sunset. I think we'll stay put tomorrow barring any major weather announcement tonight. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

Welcome to Charleston!

We are going to setup all the camera gear outside in a bit. I'm going to try to stream on twitch for the first time, so a bunch of non-local friends can watch. I'll post the link here if I get it to work.

Here is one of our camera setups.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#138 6 years ago

We started out pretty good then got clouded over about 30% into it. This is the only video worth sharing that we got, it was originally around 12 minutes of footage but we sped it up 10x.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Sorry man, but cool video. It seems like visibility in SC really varied quite a bit by area.
    With the eclipse behind us, I'm looking forward to relaxing and officially going into Charleston tomorrow to explore. We have a couple of good meals booked, a horse drawn carriage tour, and a ghost tour.

We still had a great time. It still was clear enough to really show us how dark it got, and we got a lot of swimming in before the thunder started.

Enjoy your time in Charleston! I get to go back to work tomorrow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-solar-eclipse-2017?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.