2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 51 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1503457873761 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143847251 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145205215_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145328451 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143751645 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143943558_HDR (resized).jpg
    5382 (resized).jpg
    5363 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1912 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1908 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1902 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redman822.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 2 years ago

I am heading to Chester, IL, about 50 minutes west of Carbondale...Carbondale on a good day is crazy (LOL) but with all the eclipse people coming it will be a madhouse. I decided to give up 2.5 seconds less total solar eclipse time to be away from the mayhem of there. I already have my parking pass paid for (and received via mail) for the lots in Chester.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Just got a notification from Amazon that they aren't able to verify that the manufacturer of the solar eclipse glasses I linked to above obtained the filters from a certified source. They are refunding my money. That said, I've already looked at the sun with them, and they seem fine. I think Amazon is just covering its butt since there are some counterfeit glasses out there. The glasses I bought are completely dark. You can't see anything at all with them except when you look at the sun, and even the sun is quite dim, so I think I'm fine. I did look to see if I could buy some verified glasses, and the price has skyrocketed. Price gouging at its best.

I got the same email but my glasses appear to be fine, I used them as soon as I got them and looked at the sun and it was very dim, to the 'standard brightness of the moon' per the American Astronomical Society guidelines. I even have filters for my binoculars and my film SLR camera with a zoom lens and tripod.

Quoted from Nokoro:

That's an awesome site. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, that's my back up plan if this one is on a cloudy day. I think the 2024 one goes through Vermont. I agree with beelzeboob that this is a bucket list thing so really hope the weather cooperates. Every time I read or hear an article about how awesome total eclipses are, I get more excited and nervous.

Here's an interactive map that shows the path of the April 8, 2024 eclipse... http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2024_GoogleMapFull.html

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Of course, if you have $599 to spend, you should get a PST solar telescope from your local camera shop.
    With it, you can actually view the SURFACE of the sun.
    That is totally badass.
    ....AND, you can use the PST any day to see what's going on with the sun, not just during the Eclipse.

As much of an astronomy geek that I am, I would rather save the $600 to go towards pinball machines.

#148 2 years ago

My daughter and I headed down on Sunday and spent the night in O'Fallon, IL with our original plans of going to Chester, IL (Home of Popeye.) On Sunday night (and Monday morning) the forecast showed a 40% chance of rain - so I bailed on that plan and headed to Metropolis, IL (Home of Superman!). We had perfect weather, just a few short-lived clouds but the time of the total eclipse was cloudless.

I took some photos with my cellphone camera, and also some with my point and pray...(I mean shoot)... I also took 72 with my old Nikon camera with telephoto...and by old I mean non-digital. Seeing that nobody uses that archaic 'technology' of film anymore, no stores near me develop on-site anymore, so I had to send the rolls out for processing and it'll take about a week for me to get the pix. Here are some of what I took...Also included are two that were sent to me from a guy with a digital high-end cam...

IMG_20170821_125830548 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170821_132232427 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpg

IMG_1902 (resized).JPG

IMG_1884 (resized).JPG

IMG_1908 (resized).JPG

IMG_1912 (resized).JPG

5363 (resized).jpg

5382 (resized).jpg

#150 2 years ago

I forgot (I think I am trying to repress the memory-LOL) to mention the low-light of the day. Our drive home up I-57 which is usually supposed to be 6.5 hours to my house, took an unbelievable 14+ hours to get home last night due to 'unprecedented traffic'.

The first time log I did was in Ina, IL - should have taken 1h13 took 3h24, next log was Effingham should have taken total 2h20, took 7h20, Champaign IL should have been 3h27 took 9h20, and driving by O'Hare (at 3:20am) should have been 5h35, took 13h20.

FML....LOL

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Totality was something I can't describe. It was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. The corona during totality can't be reproduced in picture or on film. It's not the same. It's something that has to be experienced with your own, naked eyes. It absolutely shook me. The feeling was euphoric and overwhelming.

Quoted from DaveH:

So true. I'm still surprised at the difference between what I could see through the lens, and what was captured.

I agree wholeheartedly - the 'wispy-ness' of it and how it ebbed and flowed, plus just the entire sensory experience of the temperature drop, the evening bugs starting their calls, birds going back to roost and we even had bats flying overhead where I was...It was surreal.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redman822.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside