2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 51 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1503457873761 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143847251 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145205215_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145328451 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143751645 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143943558_HDR (resized).jpg
    5382 (resized).jpg
    5363 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1912 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1908 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1902 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpg

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago

Still working on getting home. Going north the traffic has been a disaster all day. Plus about 40 miles from me I-81 is closed because of an accident, so this day isn't getting any shorter... and yes, it was worth it.

#152 2 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

The corona during totality can't be reproduced in picture or on film. It's not the same. It's something that has to be experienced with your own, naked eyes.

So true. I'm still surprised at the difference between what I could see through the lens, and what was captured.

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Totality was something I can't describe. It was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. The corona during totality can't be reproduced in picture or on film. It's not the same. It's something that has to be experienced with your own, naked eyes. It absolutely shook me. The feeling was euphoric and overwhelming.

Quoted from DaveH:

So true. I'm still surprised at the difference between what I could see through the lens, and what was captured.

I agree wholeheartedly - the 'wispy-ness' of it and how it ebbed and flowed, plus just the entire sensory experience of the temperature drop, the evening bugs starting their calls, birds going back to roost and we even had bats flying overhead where I was...It was surreal.

#154 2 years ago

We drove to just west of Knoxville to catch the eclipse. It was clear all morning, then some clouds started showing up. I seriously started to get worried, but just as quickly as the clouds appeared, they disappeared. We had perfect view for the entire episode of the eclipse.

I look at the eclipse this way. There are actually 2 distinct events that people witness:

1. First, the eclipse, with x% coverage. I have to admit that it was somewhat underwhelming. We looked at the crescents in the shadows, looked at some sunspots (which really have nothing to do with the eclipse), and viewed directly with glasses. I think the people that tend to be unimpressed with an eclipse tend to fall into this group of observers. This is not the real show.

2. Second is totality. Yes, the eclipse leading up to and after totality is neat and all, but totality is a completely different animal. During the few minutes of totality, the world as you know it completely transforms. This is the real show.

I totally agree with Nokoro description earlier. Just unreal. It is really hard to describe what it was like unless you are there witnessing it yourself--I can only say, "book you hotels/plans now for 2024 to get in the totality path."

Here are the events from totality that you only get at 100% coverage:

1. Corona. Wow, wow, wow! This was totally awesome. Yes, I had seen pictures of it before, but actually experiencing it firsthand was just amazing. I actually brought binoculars that made the experience even more awe-inspiring.
    2. Darkness. Sure, you get some of this during the partial eclipse, but having the sun totally blocked made for a very eerie and mystical experience.
    3. Solar flares (prominences). My son saw these, but honestly, I was so mesmerized by the corona that I either didn't bother, or forgot to look.
    4. Shadow bands. This is without a doubt the strangest phenomena that I witnessed. https://www.space.com/37776-shadow-bands-are-a-solar-eclipse-mystery.html
    5. People. The simultaneous gasps from people right when totality happens is truly something that I wasn't expecting. People are just so mesmerized that they really don't know what to say or do. And then it seems to get quiet, as if the people are absorbing and trying to comprehend what is going on.
    6. Diamond Ring Effect and Bailey's Beads. These, I must admit, were somewhat non-events to me. But some people get really excited over these occurrences.

After experiencing totality, you truly begin to understand why these events terrified ancient people. Fascinating, but truly incomprehensible.

#155 2 years ago

After tracking the weather on the GOES satellites all week, we ended up in Oak Grove KY

They had beer, BBQ and lots of free solar glasses. They even had a band the night before that played all Pink Floyd in the bandshell.

This was what it looked like during the totality on my Canon:

1 (resized).jpg

Also in the middle of nowhere KY, I saw some people with Ann Arbor Astronomy t-shirts on.

It's like Daft Punk at the eclipse:

2 (resized).jpg

#156 2 years ago

Totallity observed in rural Nebraska. Truly mesmorizing. I'm so happy my kids got to witness this rare show of nature.

FB_IMG_1503457873761 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 219.99
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside