Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1503457873761 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143847251 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145205215_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145328451 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143751645 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143943558_HDR (resized).jpg
    5382 (resized).jpg
    5363 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1912 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1908 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1902 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpg
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #102 6 years ago

While most people had eclipse glasses here, there were also a lot of people improvising... not sure exactly what was going on here, poor man's pinhole viewer or Devo cover band?

boxheads (resized).jpgboxheads (resized).jpg

#103 6 years ago

Any pictures of eclipses?

#104 6 years ago

My photos of the actual eclipse didn't come out at all. I tried with my glasses in front of my camera, but it just looks like a blob of light.

#105 6 years ago

I missed it. Cloud cover, storm coming in. And at the time it would be best here, I was on a tech support call.

I'll look for pictures.

LTG : )

#106 6 years ago

Pretty lame here in Cincinnati. Clear day 93%.

There were these cool crescent moon shadows cast in the shadows of trees and bushes, but overall not that great.

I'm sure the folks in the 100% got to see something pretty cool.

#107 6 years ago

Not much to see here.

#108 6 years ago

We watched in Elko,Nv on our porch.90 percent blocked out and temp went down 12 degrees.Pretty cool to watch .I saw it in Scottsdale Arizona before in the early 70's I believe and it was really blocked out.

#109 6 years ago

Best I could do with my iPhone. It was very cloudy here.

FullSizeRender (resized).jpgFullSizeRender (resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1) (resized).jpgFullSizeRender(1) (resized).jpg

#110 6 years ago

guys i caht s3e anyting

#111 6 years ago

I realize my error. I left the flash turned on so all I got was pictures of the moon.

#112 6 years ago

Me,wife and kids passed around the welders mask...was very cool...being into space/planets/science helps with the cool factor............Joey

#113 6 years ago

Clear skies held out in Columbia, SC. Totality was absolutely amazing! Never seen anything like it. Here's some pics of the tree leaves acting as a pinhole camera, and also a pic of the sun where if you zoom in in the reflection under the sun, you will see the crescent reflected in my lens.

IMG_1821 (resized).JPGIMG_1821 (resized).JPGIMG_1823 (resized).JPGIMG_1823 (resized).JPG

#114 6 years ago

Used Welding helmet here, was pretty cool.
    Tried to take pictures through the lens,but they didn't turn out.

#115 6 years ago

Weiser oregon -- was perfect here for viewing totally awesome. No way to get a good pic unfortunately with camera on phone.

#116 6 years ago

Southeast of Nashville was clear and cloud free for the full eclipse ... about 2 minutes worth. I can honestly say that I have never seen anything comparable in nature, although I would imagine that those lucky enough to have seen the Aurora Borealis might care to argue. The temperature dropped, and the cicadas and crickets created quite the chorus. Spectacular is not a strong enough word to describe it.

Another one comes in 2024; it can't happen soon enough.

#117 6 years ago

Madisonville Tennessee, and it was spectacular. Clear during total period, and the corona was stunning. Wow!

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

Southeast of Nashville was clear and cloud free for the full eclipse ... about 2 minutes worth. I can honestly say that I have never seen anything comparable in nature, although I would imagine that those lucky enough to have seen the Aurora Borealis might care to argue. The temperature dropped, and the cicadas and crickets created quite the chorus. Spectacular is not a strong enough word to describe it.
    Another one comes in 2024; it can't happen soon enough.

Very well said. Even hearing about what it would look like and seeing old pictures did nothing to prepare me for the actual experience when the sun became a absolute black hole. Can you imagine seeing one in ancient days and not knowing what it was? You must have thought the world was going to literally end.

#119 6 years ago

The eclipse was awesome. These were taken from my yard in Gallatin, TN

IMG_3665 (resized).JPGIMG_3665 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3673 (resized).JPGIMG_3673 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3694 (resized).JPGIMG_3694 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3697 (resized).JPGIMG_3697 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3698 (resized).JPGIMG_3698 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3705 (resized).JPGIMG_3705 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3713 (resized).JPGIMG_3713 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3720 (resized).JPGIMG_3720 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3721 (resized).JPGIMG_3721 (resized).JPG

#120 6 years ago

JSbyilS (resized).jpgJSbyilS (resized).jpg

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

The eclipse was awesome. These were taken from my yard in Gallatin, TN

Holy shit. Wish it was like that in Cincy.

Although it was underwhelming here, still pretty cool.

Nothing has topped a meteor shower while I watched from on top of a mountain in Lake Tahoe. Completely ridiculous.

#122 6 years ago

jgentry, sweet pics! NICE!

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Holy shit. Wish it was like that in Cincy.
    Although it was underwhelming here, still pretty cool.
    Nothing has topped a meteor shower while I watched from on top of a mountain in Lake Tahoe. Completely ridiculous.

It was extremely impressive. When totality hit it went almost completely dark. Crickets and frogs were going crazy and lightning bugs even came out. I am very lucky to have been in the dead center of the path with the longest totality viewing period on the planet. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

#124 6 years ago

I saw this on Twitter, made me laugh:

VERY GOOD TROLL IDEA

1. publish a post-eclipse story called "how to know if you incurred eye damage"

2. lower text opacity to 50%

#125 6 years ago

IMG_3940 (resized).PNGIMG_3940 (resized).PNG

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Very well said. Even hearing about what it would look like and seeing old pictures did nothing to prepare me for the actual experience when the sun became a absolute black hole. Can you imagine seeing one in ancient days and not knowing what it was? You must have thought the world was going to literally end.

If I said anything it would be repeating what you said. Columbia turned out to be great although it was touch and go.
    99% and it is still basically bright out. But at 100% oh my god. You view totality without glasses. It was so much more than what I was expecting. Just unbelievably spectacular.

#127 6 years ago

Thank you. Now I had to see that twice today.

#128 6 years ago

Haha....the video is hysterical... ..............Joey

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

If I said anything it would be repeating what you said. Columbia turned out to be great although it was touch and go.
    99% and it is still basically bright out. But at 100% oh my god. You view totality without glasses. It was so much more than what I was expecting. Just unbelievably spectacular.

Touch and go is right. The sun emerged from behind a cloud 15 minutes into it. Luckily it stayed that way, but I was really nervous with all those huge looming clouds all around us.

#130 6 years ago

The Eclipse brings back some memories. Real cool looking glass.

IMG_0891 (resized).JPGIMG_0891 (resized).JPG

#131 6 years ago

#132 6 years ago

Yes...the coverage would have you believe this never happens. But it's just the rarity of a coast to coast eclipse. I'll shoot for 2024 as well, but am actually more excited for the one coming up in Iceland. Less people, cooler landscape. I mean...people DO know you can fly somewhere to see these things every year, right?

#133 6 years ago

2019 has a total moon eclipse, and it falls on a Saturday night around midnight. Perfect!

#134 6 years ago

Some cool crescents
    From my buffalo pinball open trophy

No it didn't get dark in NYC but it was very cool to look at through the glasses and collanders.

IMG_6870 (resized).JPGIMG_6870 (resized).JPG

#135 6 years ago

jgentry very cool pics.
    Was curious if you had the camera behind a shield or glasses or out in the open.
    I tried a ton of different ways and only got burry reflection.

#136 6 years ago

I had to miss it, a strong storm rolled in just after it started and it hasn't cleared up since...

But I'm well within the path of totality for the one in April 2024.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from insaneinthedrain:

jgentry very cool pics.
    Was curious if you had the camera behind a shield or glasses or out in the open.
    I tried a ton of different ways and only got burry reflection.

Believe it or not that is with a $400 6 year old camera. I didn't think to buy a filter cover so for the partial eclipse ones I had my brother hold a pair of glasses over the lense. It was almost impossible to get a pic that way even with the shutter all of the was up. If your in the path of totality once it happens you can take straight pictures of it with out a filter. I just had the shutter up and zoomed in. Some folks with professional equipment got some great pics with solar flares in incredible detail.

#138 6 years ago

We started out pretty good then got clouded over about 30% into it. This is the only video worth sharing that we got, it was originally around 12 minutes of footage but we sped it up 10x.

#139 6 years ago

mGnGn it hovRtg shsgh hihh hbb f

Great. Now I'm blind.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

We started out pretty good then got clouded over about 30% into it. This is the only video worth sharing that we got, it was originally around 12 minutes of footage but we sped it up 10x.
    » YouTube video

Sorry man, but cool video. It seems like visibility in SC really varied quite a bit by area.

With the eclipse behind us, I'm looking forward to relaxing and officially going into Charleston tomorrow to explore. We have a couple of good meals booked, a horse drawn carriage tour, and a ghost tour.

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Sorry man, but cool video. It seems like visibility in SC really varied quite a bit by area.
    With the eclipse behind us, I'm looking forward to relaxing and officially going into Charleston tomorrow to explore. We have a couple of good meals booked, a horse drawn carriage tour, and a ghost tour.

I recommend taking a bike taxi over the dock so you can catch a water taxi to visit the Enterprise naval Museum. The wife & I did it last year and had a great time. The Fish House restaurant always has great food.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

We still had a great time. It still was clear enough to really show us how dark it got, and we got a lot of swimming in before the thunder started.

Enjoy your time in Charleston! I get to go back to work tomorrow.

#143 6 years ago

Was kinda underwhelming here in Indy. Never noticed any change in darkness. I mean it was cool to see the moon cover the sun a little. But I guess I was expecting more of a daylight change. Oh well. I think we'll have more of it the next go-around.

Photo I took shooting through welders glass. Not as perfect as other peoples, but I thought it was kinda cool because it looks like a paint stroke.

Eclipse-3976 (resized).jpgEclipse-3976 (resized).jpg

#144 6 years ago

There is a huge difference between 99% and 100%! We were on Blue Ridge lake the whole day and the weather was perfect. It was really neat to see the eclipse in my own backyard.

You could definitely feel it cool off when it got to about 30% coverage.

We had just over 1 minute of totality and got a great view of the corona. Was also surprised at how intense just a little sliver was, you could blind yourself pretty easily for sure.

Tried to take some pics, but were all blurry from the boat.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

There is a huge difference between 99% and 100%!

Yeah, we were 99.81% and it basically got dusky for about 3 minutes then went back to normal. The birds stopped and the crickets started making noise, the street lights came on, and it got about 15 degrees cooler. I was hoping it would get darker than that, but nope. Still pretty cool to see. I took a couple of photos on my iPhone through my glasses, but it couldn't focus of course and were just blurry dots.

#146 6 years ago

Here's a composite of pictures I took with my Sony a6000 and a homemade solar filter. We watched from Swan Valley, Idaho. Totality was something I can't describe. It was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. The corona during totality can't be reproduced in picture or on film. It's not the same. It's something that has to be experienced with your own, naked eyes. It absolutely shook me. The feeling was euphoric and overwhelming.

Solar Eclipse Swan Valley (resized).jpgSolar Eclipse Swan Valley (resized).jpg

a1KWeF1 (resized).jpga1KWeF1 (resized).jpg

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Here's a composite of pictures I took with my Sony a6000 and a homemade solar filter. We watched from Swan Valley, Idaho. Totality was something I can't describe. It was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. The corona during totality can't be reproduced in picture or on film. It's not the same. It's something that has to be experienced with your own, naked eyes. It absolutely shook me. The feeling was euphoric and overwhelming.

Great description! I totally agree. I'm not a religious person, but seeing totality was the closest thing I've had to a religious experience. I was in complete awe. And part of me was even a bit scared, even though I knew exactly what was going on. Still, the primitive part of me thought, My god, the sun is gone!

#148 6 years ago

My daughter and I headed down on Sunday and spent the night in O'Fallon, IL with our original plans of going to Chester, IL (Home of Popeye.) On Sunday night (and Monday morning) the forecast showed a 40% chance of rain - so I bailed on that plan and headed to Metropolis, IL (Home of Superman!). We had perfect weather, just a few short-lived clouds but the time of the total eclipse was cloudless.

I took some photos with my cellphone camera, and also some with my point and pray...(I mean shoot)... I also took 72 with my old Nikon camera with telephoto...and by old I mean non-digital. Seeing that nobody uses that archaic 'technology' of film anymore, no stores near me develop on-site anymore, so I had to send the rolls out for processing and it'll take about a week for me to get the pix. Here are some of what I took...Also included are two that were sent to me from a guy with a digital high-end cam...

IMG_20170821_125830548 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_125830548 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170821_132232427 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_132232427 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpg

IMG_1902 (resized).JPGIMG_1902 (resized).JPG

IMG_1884 (resized).JPGIMG_1884 (resized).JPG

IMG_1908 (resized).JPGIMG_1908 (resized).JPG

IMG_1912 (resized).JPGIMG_1912 (resized).JPG

5363 (resized).jpg5363 (resized).jpg

5382 (resized).jpg5382 (resized).jpg

#149 6 years ago

Here in Buffalo with a weak 71% it was pretty uneventful but I threw a quick cereal box viewer together so that with I could be part in it. Wife was thrilled my son could not get excited at all.

IMG_20170821_143943558_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_143943558_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143751645 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_143751645 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145328451 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_145328451 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145205215_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_145205215_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143847251 (resized).jpgIMG_20170821_143847251 (resized).jpg

#150 6 years ago

I forgot (I think I am trying to repress the memory-LOL) to mention the low-light of the day. Our drive home up I-57 which is usually supposed to be 6.5 hours to my house, took an unbelievable 14+ hours to get home last night due to 'unprecedented traffic'.

The first time log I did was in Ina, IL - should have taken 1h13 took 3h24, next log was Effingham should have taken total 2h20, took 7h20, Champaign IL should have been 3h27 took 9h20, and driving by O'Hare (at 3:20am) should have been 5h35, took 13h20.

FML....LOL

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-solar-eclipse-2017/page/3?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.