Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1503457873761 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143847251 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145205215_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_145328451 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143751645 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_143943558_HDR (resized).jpg
    5382 (resized).jpg
    5363 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1912 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1908 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1902 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170821_132328860 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170821_104339939 (resized).jpg
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Ok, who is planning to see this?

We're traveling to Charleston, SC in August to see the eclipse. I'm really excited and hope for good weather. The last time there was a total eclipse near me was in grammar school, and it was cloudy that day, so I've never seen one. I've bought my solar glasses and even bought some filters for my binoculars.

Please share your plans if you are planning to see this as well.

#2 6 years ago

Heading to Oregon. We're in

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Nice! You'll see it before me. Let me know how it is.

#4 6 years ago

Will be seeing this one in the south. https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov

#5 6 years ago

Not sure where I am going yet. Maybe Carbondale, IL.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Good luck in the traffic

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok, who is planning to see this?
    We're traveling to Charleston, SC in August to see the eclipse. I'm really excited and hope for good weather. The last time there was a total eclipse near me was in grammar school, and it was cloudy that day, so I've never seen one. I've bought my solar glasses and even bought some filters for my binoculars.
    Please share your plans if you are planning to see this as well.

Charleston, SC as well. Glasses ready. Last one seen in grammar school, but it's been so long, don't remember the experience. Can't wait for this one. Hoping the weather will cooperate.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Not sure where I am going yet. Maybe Carbondale, IL.

If you're near Carbondale and like Ozzy, you might like this.

https://www.moonstock2017.com/

#9 6 years ago

Totally didn't know about this until recently. I'll be in Great Exuma, Bahamas during the eclipse. We'll get about 80% down there, but still not a bad place to see an eclipse.

#10 6 years ago

Me. About a 2 hour drive out into the middle of no where to be right in the middle of it. It's the kids first day of school - they're going to be absent that day.

A lot of people in Wyoming are already sick of it and calling it the Apoc-eclipse due to the (supposed) strain it will put in the plumbing, lodging, etc.

#11 6 years ago

It'll put a strain on the hospitals when idiots view it without proper eye protection.

#12 6 years ago

I really want to go down to Carbondale for this. It's tough when school starting for my kid though.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Charleston, SC as well. Glasses ready. Last one seen in grammar school, but it's been so long, don't remember the experience. Can't wait for this one. Hoping the weather will cooperate.

When I was researching sites, it seemed Charlestown was about 50/50 for weather on any given day that time of year. Still, we can drive there, and I've never seen the city, so it will be fun no matter what. We've rented a house near the beach with some friends. I really hope for good weather though. I don't know if there will be another chance like this for me. And, I figured if I went someplace else with a better chance for sun, with my luck, that place would end up being rainy with Charleston being beautiful. You just can't predict.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It'll put a strain on the hospitals when idiots view it without proper eye protection.

This is what I bought for my binoculars:

https://www.amazon.com/DayStar-Filters-Binocular-White-Light-Universal/dp/B06ZYKRH1V/ref=sr_1_1

Works well. We also bought a number of pairs of filter glasses for the family.

#15 6 years ago

I didn't even know something like that was available. Thanks so much for the link! I got a set of 4 of those 3D-looking glasses so we can all just chuck 'em when we're done. I really appreciate the tip!

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Good luck in the traffic

Flying over and viewing from an airport fly-in potlatch no traffic. Hadn't even considered traffic though-- yeah that will probably be horrible.

#18 6 years ago

We have a place in Blue Ridge GA, which should see it at about 99%. Hoping to drive up the road a bit to see 100 but expect the traffic to be really bad up the highway.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Flying over and viewing from an airport fly-in potlatch no traffic. Hadn't even considered traffic though-- yeah that will probably be horrible.

That's cool. Is that a flight specifically to see the eclipse? Will you be over any adverse weather?

#20 6 years ago

headed up to jackson hole, wyoming to watch

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Beautiful! I love Jackson Hole.

#22 6 years ago

Heading down to Carbondale area, and park along a country road to see the eclipse. Already got the eclipse glasses through Amazon. Get them now before they run out of get too pricey.

#23 6 years ago

!00% coverage over my home here just south of St. Louis. Last total solar eclipse here was in the year 1455.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That's cool. Is that a flight specifically to see the eclipse? Will you be over any adverse weather?

I guess you could say that -- my dads a private pilot and is flying with my mom down there to a small airport and camping.. they had 2 extra seats for my wife and I lucked out!

#25 6 years ago

We are about 1.5 hours north of total eclipse area.. but still in the 95 % at home.. So trying to figure out what to do.. Going to be amazing anyway.. Check it out peoples if you can.. Who knows what lies ahead for everyone...

NT.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

We are about 1.5 hours north of total eclipse area.. but still in the 95 % at home.. So trying to figure out what to do.. Going to be amazing anyway.. Check it out peoples if you can.. Who knows what lies ahead for everyone...
    NT.

I think there is a big difference between 95% and totality. You should drive south.

#27 6 years ago

I'm staying home. My house is dead in the middle of the path.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

are you planning on viewing the eclipse with "action" jack, gavin or both?

1 week later
    #30 6 years ago

Anybody pick out their solar eclipse T-Shirts yet?

1 week later
    #31 6 years ago

Just got a notification from Amazon that they aren't able to verify that the manufacturer of the solar eclipse glasses I linked to above obtained the filters from a certified source. They are refunding my money. That said, I've already looked at the sun with them, and they seem fine. I think Amazon is just covering its butt since there are some counterfeit glasses out there. The glasses I bought are completely dark. You can't see anything at all with them except when you look at the sun, and even the sun is quite dim, so I think I'm fine. I did look to see if I could buy some verified glasses, and the price has skyrocketed. Price gouging at its best.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Just got a notification from Amazon that they aren't able to verify that the manufacturer of the solar eclipse glasses I linked to above obtained the filters from a certified source. They are refunding my money. That said, I've already looked at the sun with them, and they seem fine. I think Amazon is just covering its butt since there are some counterfeit glasses out there. The glasses I bought are completely dark. You can't see anything at all with them except when you look at the sun, and even the sun is quite dim, so I think I'm fine. I did look to see if I could buy some verified glasses, and the price has skyrocketed. Price gouging at its best.

Which ones did you get? There's a list that NASA put out - those are the ones to get. There was a set I saw on Amazon that warned you against buying counterfeit glasses...and they were counterfeit.

#33 6 years ago

I've got family in Carterville, IL. Just 10 mins from Carbondale. My aunt has said that it's already getting crazy down there. Hotels are all completely booked.

I never would have thought it would be such a big deal. My cousin is even pulling her kids out of school that day just to go back to her hometown to watch it.

#34 6 years ago

My shirt selections...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Which ones did you get? There's a list that NASA put out - those are the ones to get. There was a set I saw on Amazon that warned you against buying counterfeit glasses...and they were counterfeit.

I don't remember which ones, but our local Lowe's supposedly has some in stock in the store. I think I'll just buy another set there. I trust Lowe's and their fear of lawsuits.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

My shirt selections...

Nice shirts!

I just ordered these for the family:

https://www.amazon.com/Mooned-August-Total-Eclipse-T-Shirt/dp/B073K9TT87/ref=sr_1_6

We're going to look awesome!

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

We're traveling to Charleston, SC in August to see the eclipse.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

Charleston, SC as well.

Oh cool! Welcome to Charleston!

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Thanks!

Any recommendations for things to do down there for a family that's never been to the city? We're thinking about a horse drawn carriage tour and a walking ghost tour at night. Would love to hear other suggestions.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

And how bad do you think Rt17 is going to be?

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks!
    Any recommendations for things to do down there for a family that's never been to the city? We're thinking about a horse drawn carriage tour and a walking ghost tour at night. Would love to hear other suggestions.

I'm not going to lie, we are expecting a million visitors that weekend, so things here are going to be freaking INSANE.

Carriage tour is a must if you've never been here, ghost tours are just okay. There is a lot of history in Charleston and you will learn a lot on the carriage tour. One of the cool historic places I like downtown is the Old Exchange Building & Provost Dungeon: http://oldexchange.org

There is some fantastic food here, but you might have trouble getting reservations at this point. Some great places to eat in the area are:

Edmund's Oast, Opal, Husk, Cru Cafe, Poogan's Porch

It's the end of August, so prepare for some hot and humid weather. Beaches are nearby if you want to go sun a little bit. The aquarium here is pretty cool I think.

Check pinballmap.com for all the pins around the area as well, we have a good group here that keeps it pretty updated. Most every restaurant that has pins also has good food. Dog and Duck, Kickin' Chicken, Charleston Sports Pub, the Alley, etc... all good places.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

And how bad do you think Rt17 is going to be?

falling-down_5.jpgfalling-down_5.jpg

Oh, also.... beware of lizardmen......

http://fortune.com/2017/08/10/2017-solar-eclipse-south-carolina-lizardmen/

#41 6 years ago

Just put some solar filter material on the video camera, hoping to catch some of the eclipse with it.

solarfilter.pngsolarfilter.png

#42 6 years ago

I'm glad the ISO approved glasses I ordered two weeks ago on Amazon is finally shipping. They were Prime, but sometimes Amazon chooses to ignore the 2-day shipping, so I was worried. Our local news rag recently ran a story about fake eclipse glasses. They said no matter what is written on the glasses if you look through and can't see anything unless pointed towards the sun you are okay. Otherwise, they will be harmful to you.

#43 6 years ago

IMG_0085 (resized).PNGIMG_0085 (resized).PNG

Keeping my fingers crossed.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nobody successfully predicts Charleston weather a week out.

I think Thursday we will have a better idea.

#46 6 years ago

I thought I'd check the path of the next total solar eclipse in 2024 because I didn't make any plans for the one in 2017. Well what do you know, that one goes right through Buffalo, NY.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#47 6 years ago

^^^^^^That's the T-shirt I'll be selling in 2024

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mank:

I thought I'd check the path of the next total solar eclipse in 2024 because I didn't make any plans for the one in 2017. Well what do you know, that one goes right though Buffalo, NY.

Well, I want to thank you for this, sincerely. I had no idea about the 2024 eclipse. Felt sad that I booked a Bahamas trip before I found out about this one, and we'll only get about 89%. It's a bucket list thing for me, and now I can plan for 2024...if I'm still here then!

#49 6 years ago

I'll be watching it at Lake Barkley State Resort park in KY. Hopefully a nice camping trip to tailgate the eclipse.

#50 6 years ago

That's an awesome site. Thanks for posting.

Quoted from Mank:

I thought I'd check the path of the next total solar eclipse in 2024 because I didn't make any plans for the one in 2017. Well what do you know, that one goes right through Buffalo, NY.

Yeah, that's my back up plan if this one is on a cloudy day. I think the 2024 one goes through Vermont. I agree with beelzeboob that this is a bucket list thing so really hope the weather cooperates. Every time I read or hear an article about how awesome total eclipses are, I get more excited and nervous.

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-solar-eclipse-2017 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.