DSC05248 (resized).JPG
DSC05082 (resized).JPG
DSC05081 (resized).JPG
My A-9201 (4) (resized).jpg
A-9201 (4)-recolored (resized).jpg
DSC05050 (resized).JPG
DSC05049 (resized).JPG
DSC05048 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Sadly I have to report a failure. I suited up and sprayed half a can of Spraymax 2K onto the playfield and gave it two days to outgas and bond. Today I painted the center area with the same result. The frisket pulled up the old paint in large swatches.
So, this is an opportunity to try something new. I have never painted a bare wood playfield before. It should be fun - or frustrating - or agonizing....we shall see.

Ach du lieber! I don't think I've ever seen an "Ice-Revue" playfield in such bad shape, especially the deep gouges in the artwork. I admire your tenacity, but I think getting a better playfield would have been much easier. There's a lot of these games out there; some are only parts worthy, with decent playfields. I got one cheap at Pinfest a couple of years back. It's dirty, but not really worn like yours is.

#57 2 years ago

Good luck Mark. You seem very determined!

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I tried to add these images to the original but it didn't seem to like animated and non-animated pics in the same post so here is the followup...
I've also grouped the layers up into a single entity and made them white so I have effectively made a white mask paint layer. This will allow me to set it down and paint white under everywhere there will be color. Here is the mask and the black overlay. It looks kinda cool like this.[quoted image][quoted image]

An "Ice-Revue" whitewood!

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I think this is the only way that seems doable.
jrpinball your comment struck a chord. My wife and I are now discussing a “whiteout” edition rather than a straight restore

It's such a colorful game though.
Maybe you can find a better playfield that wouldn't be such a daunting restoration task.

2 months later
#101 2 years ago

Since you're starting over, I'd go a little deeper and a bit more greenish on the aqua color. It looked a bit too light on your first attempt, and too blue IMHO.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Color matching is so hard for me especially because I have problems telling blue and purple apart. Its scientifically proven women have better color recognition. So, I always get my wife to check my color matching.

True, if you have no reference. But you should be able to paint a swatch on a piece of card stock, place it next to the original, observe the contrast, and adjust as needed. In the case of this game, I'd match it to the aqua on the backglass, since all of the original playfield paint is gone. Acrylic paint dries darker than when wet, so that's something to keep in mind.

1 month later
#123 2 years ago

Damn. I'd love to have that original cabinet. Aside from the face on the backbox, it's not bad. I prefer leaving a decent original original! I have one that's much more of a repaint candidate than yours. They're only original once!

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

I gotta agree JR, too many people jump to a repaint when a light cleaning is all it needs and still retains it character.

Absolutely!

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Sorry guys, you may want to avert your eyes for awhile....
Today was the only day for a couple of weeks the forcast said no rain so I felt it was the best day to get out onto the driveway and get rid of the lead paint and see where I stand with the cabinet. I put on my lead-paint rated mask and went to work. There are a few corners that will need some structural repair and I see that someone has worked on the backbox before as it has a couple of sections of wood repair. All in all, nothing I cannot handle.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Arrrgh!

3 months later
#165 2 years ago

Totally unnecessary to unsolder all the wires on the stepper contact disc. Two screws, and it's off.

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

does not seem to be any adjustment either of the bell position or the striker arm. Is there something that I am missing?

The bell mounting is slotted. You can adjust the position of the bell. Leave a small gap between the clapper and the bell. Momentum will allow the clapper to strike the bell under power.

1 week later
#169 2 years ago

You seem to be a glutton for punishment. Why do you unsolder coils and switches which are easily removable by removing a few screws! Same with the wiper disc on the 0-9 unit. Two screws, and it separates from the mechanical part of the unit.
You're definitely going to set the record for the longest and most tedious restoration of all time.
Trying not to be hyper-critical, but it actually hurts to follow this thread!
I truly admire your tenacity, however, and you're no doubt learning a great deal from this experience.

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

more cleaning today....
Fortunately I have stumbled on a better solution, By using the copper cleaner on a scrubber I am much more efficiently getting the thick burned on deposits. It does scratch the copper a bit but I feel that's an acceptable alternative to hours of scrubbing with a sponge. Just to give an idea of how tarnished these are, this is the top and bottom score reel guides. One has been cleaned and one not - hmmm, I wonder which one.[quoted image][quoted image]

Try soaking these parts in CLR for about 1/2 hour, then follow up with hot water and a soap pad.
After they're dry, a little Mother's Polish, had they look like new.
Works for me.

3 months later
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

People like to stay as original as possible, but I pitch those awful slotted screws and replace them with hex heads. So much easier.

Hex heads?

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Like this, but make sure you have the correct size, this was just the first picture I found.[quoted image]

Oh, OK. I've heard of replacing the slotted screws with Phillips head screws, but this is a first.
Quarter inch head size?

1 month later
#225 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I took a closer look at GI lighting today. Specifically in the head. I wanted to make sure the lights were working so I threw a bulb into each area, started a game and took a look. None were working....sigh
[quoted image]

I checked the fuse and then started digging in a bit more. I put in additional bulbs and found that some were working and some were not. It took me awhile to check the schematic to see if it had any clues.[quoted image]

Wouldn't you know, there are a set of flasher lights in the head connected to orange/white wires that only come on when the game-over switch is tripped. Checking the lights in question - yep, they had orange/white wires. I was able to verify by running through all the balls and verifying the lights go on...lol

Yes. Each skater illuminates with flashing lamps at "game over". During gameplay however, they light in pairs, only after the 1-6 target sequence is completed. The pairs illuminate corresponding to the lights at the kickout holes in the center of the playfield. These lamps are separate from the flashers at "game over", and should be 44s or 47s.

#227 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

thanks for the info - I will put bulbs in all the slots and verify!

The ones at "game over" should be flashers. I believe there are two flashers for each skater.

1 month later
#240 1 year ago

Missing or damaged nylon coil stop washers are usually what causes the pop bumpers to stick down. Each pop bumper coil stop needs to have an insulating nylon washer, and a nut with a nylon insert. The washer should have a flange which extends into the hole in the bracket, so that the stop's threaded part is also magnetically insulated. This part needs to be in good condition.

1 month later
#253 1 year ago

I would have gone with the red/blue paint scheme on the card tray. Although "Ice-Revue" came with either one, I think the red/blue looks a lot better on the game. I believe that the green/blue trays were leftovers from the "Bank A Ball" production run.

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

wow, I never even thought of that. It always seemed weird that a green accent would show up when it is nowhere else.

Yeah, to me, it doesn't fit the color scheme of the game. Mine has the red/blue. Green/blue complements "Bank A Ball", but it doesn't look good on "Ice-Revue".
Just my humble opinion.

2 weeks later
#264 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

thanks guys! Any tips on playing? Those outlanes are brutal!

Your flippers appear to be set a bit too low as far as I can see in the photos. They're probably directing the ball toward the outlanes more than they should.
Here's what mine look like.

20220621_125439 (resized).jpg20220621_125439 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-restore-of-an-ice-revue?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.