(Topic ID: 250289)

Total Repair Cost on In home job.

By specialed

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190201_235546 (resized).png
    77033e81c3955f3be5517c633a9abb3d05233452 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).png
    20190822_111355 (resized).jpg
    20190822_111352 (resized).jpg
    20190813_165633 (resized).jpg
    20190815_183712 (resized).jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hello

Just getting local tech advice on a job I am currently finishing.
    I work on a few Slot Machines for a customer who has a pinball machine that needed some love.
    My main job is a Computer Tech/Shop Owner. I do board level repairs on all kinds of equipment.
    Car parts, batting cage controller, slot machines, motherboards. I own a few slot machines myself that I have restored.

The question at hand is fair cost of repairs.

This customer has needed me for Slot machines and pays my house call rate of $100.00.
    But his house is about 1 1/2 hour driving from my shop so I charge $150.00.
    Hourly charge is $50.00 an hour after the first hour.
    Last few trips replacing glass and mainboards, replacing switches etc were $200, $300 and $350.
    Usually a 2-3 hour job but if I am not in a rush to get back to work then I am not strict on the time.
    My shop is closed if I am away on a house call. I do not feel in the past I have overcharged him. He is usually covering the parts cost himself.

Now this pinball machine had some ghosts and showed wear from use being 25 years old and never had any major restoration.
    I noticed the problems that plague old electronics even without an intimate knowledge of pinball machines.
    The red flag was the sound that took 10 mins to warm up.

Originally I was not asked to repair the machine as it was "working".
    I had warned lightly it seemed to have some problems indicated by the sound issue.
    Sure enough a few months later it blew a fuse and the machine would turn on but no flippers or launcher.
    I was already there for a different slot repair and looked it over found the fuse, swapped it and not a problem it played fine for 15 mins.
    Apparently the next time the customer turned it on it didn't work. I was only told a few weeks later it wasn't working. After a smoking incident in the back box.

Long and the short. PPB and Power Board, Sound Board and MPU all needed to be rebuilt. I took the boards to my shop. Lots of research. Lots of parts ordered and lots of soldering to the tune of about 10 hours hot and 10 hours cold just pouring over manual, and forums and looking for answering to a daisy chain of problems causes and solutions. I was pretty convinced the damage I was repairing was more then age and heat. Something in the pin wasn't right.
    After bringing back my rebuilt boards there was more time to be had inside the cabinet and playfield. Two more house calls and the machine is playing 95%. I have to go back with a replacement coil, plunger for another coil, switch for a ramp, playfield plastic and some score cards.

All said and done with no more surprises I am at
    3 House Calls w/Trip Charge $150.00
    9 Hours (3X House Calls 3Hrs each (Most actually 4Hr, 5Hr, ??Hr) $50.00 Hr
    10 Hours offsite Labor (Soldering etc) I was Thinking $30.00 Hr
    10 Hours Research, Manuals, Forums etc $10.00 Hr
    Parts cost total $300.00
    This seems expensive. I think its expensive but I also have busted ass and sat on my ass driving and spent lots of time on this machine.

The customer spent too much on a old used machine that while in great shape otherwise should have cost him half as much.
    I think the time and if he pays me for my time money spent into this machine is worth it to have it running 100%
    I have tried to look at other Board Repair costs for the repairs I have done and checked this forum for hourly rates of repair.
    I feel had he brought it to my shop it may have done more harm in travel then the money saved on house calls.
    I do not feel that just buying new aftermarket boards would have been better or cheaper.
    $380.00 MPU, $175.00 PB. $150.00 Power Board, $125.00 Sound Board or $830.00 Plus another $100.00 in other parts =$900.00 and then labor $200-400 depending on the time to diagnose and repair onsite, replace order time etc.

With the information at had is it fair to give him a bill for $1500.00
    My original quote not counting house call or the other issues that had to be repaired onsite was $500.00 as a guess estimate to repair the visible damage to the 5 circuit boards. I can understand it would seem like it is 3 times the estimate but with one or two house calls and more parts then were originally know it is about 30-40% more then I would have thought. I did also hope that everything would be repaired on the first or second house call with the repaired boards. Finding burnt coils, wires, switches and having more unexpected problems wasn't easy to anticipate. I do not always speak to this customer and deal with a helper that is not as much concerned about the price. I would never spring a large bill on a customer in my computer shop so this is very unlike me. It seems to have just runaway from me in labor. The customers are happy with the slot machines running not in tip top shape. Any advice or checking my math would be helpful. Thanks.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from specialed:

Any advice or checking my math would be helpful. Thanks.

My opinion, once you had the boards back at your shop, you should have known this was going to be more than $500. 3 times your estimate. And maybe more than the game is worth ? Did you let the customer know or keep regular contact as this went along ?

I'd charge the $500, learn from it, and next time work more closely with the customer on what the final bill will be. So you know how much they are comfortable sticking into the game.

It wouldn't hurt to point out to the customer you lost on this repair but appreciate his business.

You are the expert here on what is needed. Not the customer.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

my opinion charge him what you think your time and expertise is worth. If he doesnt want to pay that, offer to buy the machine from him at a deep discount, then fix it for yourself or sell it.

#4 4 years ago

I don’t believe you should bill for your “learning time”.
    Bill for what you now and what your expertise calls on. You May have learned a lot from this experience and that will pay off in the future.

#5 4 years ago

An experienced tech would have likely fixed the machine in 1/3 to 1/2 the time it took you & gotten paid for one or maybe two trips. One trip to see what was wrong & second trip to return repaired boards. Also there is no way and experienced tech would have had to put $300 worth of parts on the boards to 100% fix a machine. I think your original $500 estimate is more in line with what the guy would have had to pay an experienced tech to fix his machine. As stated above you can't expect a customer to pay you to learn how to fix something you were getting paid to fix. If your charging to be a "professional" then you should already have that knowledge.

Most techs I know charge full rate for first trip then reduced rate for second trip if they can't repair a machine with one service call. No way should you charge for the third trip regardless & also no way you should expect to get paid for your research time learning what you should have known before taking on the project.

If you want to keep them as a customer I would stick with the original $500 quote. If you don't care about that maybe $750 to $900 but no way a $1500 bill is fair to the customer.

#6 4 years ago

Why can’t people understand that you have to COMMUNICATE with your customers? If you give someone an estimate and KNOW you are going to go over that estimate, much less 3x, it is YOUR responsibility to communicate that to them beforehand. You knew where you were in T&M. Your bad for not explaining it to them. Repair bills should never be a surprise. Ever. Quotes can be. Estimates can be. Bills, no. And the suggestion you should screw the guy even more is classic. You sir are a shining example of everything wrong with the pinball “community”. Shout out to those of you telling the OP to be honest and trustworthy.

#7 4 years ago

Would you ever charge triple of an estimate of a batting cage controller repair without notifying who I imagine is a commercial customer in advance?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from specialed:

even without an intimate knowledge of pinball machines.

If you aren't a professional pinball tech, you shouldn't hang out a shingle or take on work as a pinball tech. This isn't a slightly knowledgeable buddy helping out a friend. You took on work you had no idea how to do - claiming to be a professional, and that's an incredibly unprofessional action.

Quoted from specialed:

I would never spring a large bill on a customer in my computer shop so this is very unlike me. It seems to have just runaway from me in labor.

Apparently, you shouldn't use the word "never", because that's exactly what you did to the guy. Your labor costs and learning curve aren't his problem. You quoted him $500 for the repairs, and the second it went over that, you should have been on the phone to him. Instead, you chose to keep going, and racked up a bill that was 3x that. If I were in his shoes, I'd be furious.

IMO, your time investment in research is part of your education, and not something you should be trying to charge him for (after all, you took on the job for pay, claiming to know how to do the work). The time you spent soldering-- 10 hours? For a semi-working set of boards? What could possibly have been needed that took so much time?

#9 4 years ago

100% stick to original quote

#10 4 years ago

I think what OP was looking for here is people telling him he was entitled to charge more because of all the time & effort he put into fixing something he knew very little about. I think even before he made this post he knew it would be wrong to charge as much as he was suggesting and was hoping people would support the "logic" in his original post.

Sadly life doesn't work that way.

How would the original poster feel if he had a guy out to fix his heater and was talking to the guy about his broken washing machine. The heater guy says "I can fix that for you and it should be around $200". Then a few weeks later he gets a bill for $600 instead because the heater guy had to read about how to fix his washer? Same thing!

#11 4 years ago

For the amount of work that was done, 1000 or more might not be unreasonable, considering driving time, etc. I find that when the drive time is over an hour and there are likely multiple problems with the machine, it is much better to take the entire machine back to the shop for an "overhaul". The customer should be made aware that the repair will likely run between $x and $y, but that it could go as high as $z if additional problems are found.
    If the customer is willing to pay this amount, and if the machine is worth that much expenditure either due to its desirability or due to the customer's love for it, then go ahead with the repair. If not, you can offer to buy the machine, or suggest where the customer can sell it and approximately what it might be worth in present condition.

It seems to me your only mistakes were in underestimating how long it might take you to fix the machine (always an issue with a machine that has not been serviced in years and has multiple problems) and you did not give the customer a heads up on the potential upside of the cost either before you started or as soon as you realized where it was going.
    I would eliminate your labor costs for research and ask the customer for what you think is a fair amount for the remainder of your labor and parts. But if he balks, reduce your fee down to something agreeable and learn from this repair for next time.

This somewhat reminds me of a service I did on a Truck Stop pin I had sold a guy some time ago. After buying it, he told me how excited he was at his purchase price and that he had seen several other Truck Stops in not nearly as good a condition as mine and at considerably higher prices. About a month after buying it, he called to say that the plastic mushroom bumper had broken and needed to be replaced.

Since he was a full hour's drive away, I told him I would suggest that I send him a new replacement for free and explain to him how to install it since it is a very easy process. He said that he wanted me to do it even though I told him if he did it himself, he would avoid my service call fee. He maintained that he wanted me to do it anyway so I drove 1 hour to his house, replaced the mushroom bumper in 5 minutes and then spent an extra half hour or so re-waxing the playfield which had gotten dirty from all of the play in the past month. I then got ready to make the 1 hour drive home. He asked what the charge was and I told him $75 if I remember correctly.

He expressed absolute indignation at that amount and said he would have to talk to his wife about it. He felt I didn't adequately explain my fee in advance even though he did not ask one question about it when I repeatedly told him it would be much cheaper for him the just put the mushroom bumper in himself and I would provide the part for free. I told him if he didn't want to pay the $75 for my time - fine. Think it over and do whatever you feel is appropriate. About 3 weeks later, I received a check in the mail from him for $30!
    I ended up sending the check back to him uncashed and told him that for any future service calls by me, he should expect to pay $50/hr including driving time each way, plus the cost of parts. If that was unsatisfactory, he should call someone else for his future service needs. Needless to say, I have not heard from him for several years now and I am more than ok with that!

#12 4 years ago

It would help to mention the machine your working on so people can weight in on what is a reasonable repair for each of the boards. A lot of known issues are listed for each brand on pinwiki.

#13 4 years ago

When I started doing tech work, I always offered a free quote after inspecting the machine for 20-30 minutes. If I couldn't quote the game on the spot, I'd be honest with them and tell them I'd have to email them a quote after I look up part availability and such. If my estimate of the work far exceeded the value of the game, I told them that. If I thought something was beyond my skill level I referred them elsewhere. But if I made a quote, then I have prepared a line item of costs and estimated labor. If I underestimate my labor, that's on me. If I make more mistakes than I solved, that's on me. I also started to demand particularly vexing games be brought into my workshop because it will be cheaper and easier for everyone.

I think you learned an expensive lesson.... Also if this guy is a repeat customer for your other services, you probably don't want to burn that bridge. You know what your relationship is like, talk to them and figure out a solution.

#14 4 years ago

Welcome to pinball!

#15 4 years ago

Sorry. I did not get any notice in my email their were any replys on my post. I just figured no one chimed in.

Thank you all for weighing in on this. It is very helpful in coming up with a fair bill.

This is a 1992 Data East Lethal Weapon 3 Pinball Machine.

To comment on some of the replys.

I am not trying to be dishonest in any way. I never told this customer I was a professional at pinball or hung a shingle. I do consider myself a professional in my field. I do consider myself good at fixing things. He had another guy that stopped showing up and ended up he had died. They asked me a few times if I would work on the machine. I took the info from the machine and did some research and felt confident I could attempt to resolve the immediate issues and any others that I found. I had told him that I had never worked on a pinball machine but would be willing to try and repair it for him.

The first time I even looked at it was to replace the blown fuse and it was off the clock after I had finished work on two of his slot machines. The second time I saw the machine because it wasn't working again was the first time I charged for a house call when I took the boards for repair and said the boards alone would be at least $500.00 but there were problems in the machine as well. He did not want me to take the machine for repair as both of his slot machines were damaged moving them out of the house. He wanted on site service and was aware of my rates.

On my return visit with the boards he asked me again how many pinball machines had I fixed and I was honest with him. I told him none. He was very happy I had been able to figure out all the issues to that point and shook my hand on the spot. We discussed again at this time before I did anymore work then the "$500.00" that it had taken more time to repair and without spelling it out we were both on the same page that the repair costs were increasing. At this point I did express that there was quite a bit more work that needed to be done and that the boards in the machine had not been maintenanced ever. Just a few shotgun repairs to a broken machine just to get it "working" and out the door. I did ask him how long he had the machine and it was 6 months. I asked where he got it and was told a guy had two of them and was swapping parts between machines to get it working.

As far as anyone giving pinball a bad name I would say the award there goes to the guy who did the crap repairs and sold the pinball for top dollar. That was not me. The coils and spliced wires and other "repairs" were the cause of all the other damage to the boards. Most of the work was just never done. Of course I didn't know that. I would assure any techs that their good name is safe. I am no pinball tech. Now that in mind if I can get this shopped out and do what needs to be done to get it working 100% I am proud of myself for doing it.

I am surprised that no one has weighed in on the fact that fixing these boards would not have fixed the pinball machine. My ignorance of that fact when mentioning the initial $500.00 does not mean to me that I am required at this time to for free repair and replace parts on the playfield. Had I know more about the machine or pinballs in general I would have known the CPU/MPU and PPB were damaged by the coils. I would have known that extra work needed to be done and quoted for that work. But it would have still cost the customer more money.
    I was comfortable in charging $500.00 parts and labor for recapping the boards. Generally a recap costs no more then $10-15 in parts. My inexperience with the pinball boards led me to misjudge the amount of other work needed to make these boards as good or better then new.

I made a judgment at that time having a relationship with the customer that he did not need me going back and forth on every detail of the repair. I knew from the past repairs that he wanted it done right more then cheap.

Most replies are stuck on the number $500.00 that I quoted. But I didn't quote $500.00 or spring a big bill of $1500 for a $500.00 job. I did take a job and tell the customer it would be no less then $500.00 just to repair the boards. At that time I did express more work would need to be done to the machine and the cost of house calls, labor onsite. I included that in the original post but I'm not sure if it was read that way.

I have done repairs over $1,500 on Computer Servers and POS systems all onsite over many days. In these situations my rates were known and the only acceptable end result was the 100% restoration of the working system. There was no back and forth on quotes. I usually under billed compared to the hours invested. Many times after the fact my feedback from my corporate contact was my bill was too cheap. They knew they would have paid more elsewhere.

I think this is why my work on these boards hours each day over a week started to add up in my mind to what those jobs took from me. I stayed late at my computer shop to do the repairs as that time was not available during normal hours. Like any time at work this was time away from my family or my time to relax. If I were a dedicated Pinball shop or a full time onsite tech this would not be an issue but I did not charge any extra for this overtime.

$400.00 for labor and $100.00 for parts at $50hr would be 8 hours of labor. This would not include any other onsite work or trip charge or anything. I have looked online for board repairs and found $125.00 just for the CPU/MPU with no burn damage or previous repairs plus shipping cost to and from. At this rate for all 4 boards would cost about the same as I was charging and would not help me with any future repairs needed onsite. I did consider sending them for repair but it occurred to me that is not what the customer wanted. He wanted me to be his tech for his games. He wanted me to learn to fix his machine so I would be able to keep it running. I did not see this as one time repair job. I don't think I am or was billing him for my learning time. I think we both understood that by my admitting my inexperience that it may take more time for me to figure out. Which I adjusted by billing for less time then it actually took.

Some of the replys make it sound like I was spending hours scratching my head and going to school on the customers dime. It took more then 2 hours after work alone on mouser electronics to order all the resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes etc. This included using the manual, reading parts from the board. I do not know how much quicker this would go next time. I put $10hr on that as it was my time spent and I know my customers don't expect me to work for free or so they tell me.

In my business when I do a good job I don't see my customers for years but when they have problems I'm there to help

I admit as I have said I am not a pinball tech. I am a electronics tech that repairs circuit boards and have specialized in computers. Throw in coils to the mix and this is not much different then me fixing anything else I have over the years.

The power board was stripped and all major components replaced. (55 seperate items) There was some damage from a leaked capacitor. The ppb, flipper and sound board had minor repairs. Mainly recapping and reflow. The MPU/CPU had a few series of drivers that were out and a quad gate. There were one or two previous bad repairs that had to be fixed. The Mars light repair was done badly and caused damage to the VUK coil drivers. All connectors,relays and other cold solder joints reflowed on each board. All the pins were cleaned on each connector topside as well. I say 10 hours soldering as that is what it took away from my normal business and into the night. Most evenings my wife was calling asking if I was ever coming home. After research and comparisons to other techs as well as my own computer rates $30hr and $50hr is not what pin techs usually charge. Most quoted $75-95hr so I didn't feel I was charging a profesional pinball rate but simply my normal out of office and in office rate.

Throughout my career there have always been other businesses or persons that charged less then me. I was fine with that. I knew what my time was worth. Many times the cheaper guy did a bad job and the same person was back and had no issue paying me to do a good job not like the cheaper guy. If I kept strict hours or charged less or more per hour for different types of labor it actually adds up to cost more overall. For instance flat rate of $75hr across the board. I did all board level repairs at my shop to keep the cost per hour down.

I am not sure what the replys about how much it cost for parts or why the semi working boards needed so much work. The boards did not need $300 in parts. The parts ordered for the boards were $165.00 from mouser and another $35.00 from Ebay. The other $100.00 were for playfield plastics, coils, lights ,switches, a plunger, springs and a few more parts. Not one single supplier had what I needed and it took orders from 4 seperate sites to get the needed parts. This machine is 27 years old and the only repairs ever done were to the Mars light cover, drivers from damaging the light moving it and some hack job playfield repairs. By the wear on the playfield it has been played a good amount of time. I am confident the repairs I did were needed. It is also obvious I could have replaced only a few parts and charged a few hundred $$ and made myself look bad when something I didn't fix caused the machine to break again in a month. My main attempt was to bulletproof the system.

I do not think that my inexperience on pinball made it take longer and cost more. I do think that more needed to be replaced to make this pin even just "work" then expected. People always tell me that their computer was working and I jest that everything broken used to "work". At times I have to discover if the machine was received broken and never worked for them. And come after another tech and find bad work just like on this pinball machine.

This Lethal Weapon 3 machine costs the customer at least twice what he should have paid. Adding in more for repairs seems like throwing good money after bad. His initial investment is not my main concern in total cost of repair as he has the machine and is stuck with it. If it originally cost him $500 instead of $3000 it would have still needed the same amount of work. I was not consulted before purchase. Often I alter my rates or normal quoted prices to make the best deal for my customer and do not work on items which cost more to repair then they are worth. I am probably wrong but I dont think he can just pick up another LW3 for $1500. I'm not sure who would buy it broken or what value his non working machine would have if not fixed.

Most of you guys selling pinballs and making a profit must have purchased a machine in need of work getting a good deal because someone wasn't willing to invest the money into repairs. To me this would imply the repairs cost too much to the customer. So you pinball techs buy the machine and repair it and resell it. I would think in the process getting a better rate for the hours you invested into it. Of course the question there is why not give the guy a great deal on fixing it and make less money for yourself??

I do often give away my labor to repair things on laptops or desktops that would make the repair not worth it. Replace a power Jack or repair a hinge for free with a SSD install. But for a computer if the cost of repair is too high you can toss it and buy a new one. I don't see a restored vintage item as disposable. Our hobbies are not investments but a way to spend our money we earn on something we enjoy. I don't ever expect to get my money back on bmx bike I restore. It's a labor of love.

I did discover people restoring pinball machines explain how they couldn't charge people for all the 50 hours of work they did as it would be $6-7k to fully restore the machine. I found people charging what I would consider a waste of my time for repairs as well. House call and onsite repair and making $50.00 after parts for 2 hours worth of work.

Maybe if I was a friend helping a buddy out.... I've been there and done that and if I'm the buddy I might have a good day helping a friend or if I'm the other guy find out my free repair wasn't as good as one I would have paid for and have to get it fixed by a pro anyway. It goes both ways. I have had 19 year old kids come to replace tile or other home repair and get a crap job from a company that says they have been in business for 20 years and stand by the job and their expensive bill. I don't charge anything to return a broken computer and usually take it in trade to recoup my lost labor if that is acceptable to the customer.

I have not fully restored his machine. I have tested everything I can and am replacing anything suspect. I am doing my best to make sure there are as few future repairs needed as possible.

Some of the suggestions here sound like just doing enough to get it working and no more. I know I would be back again and again if that was the case. A $250.00 repair as has been suggested would lead to another repair and another. With the travel time, 3 hours away from my office, life etc everytime there was another problem it would start costing me more in gas and time then I had even made. To keep this good customer I would be forced to make a string of repairs all under the guise of giving him a good deal. I am not willing to waste time and money by going cheap on the repairs. My customers trust my professional opinion to do what is in their best interest. By professional I mean the years under my belt restoring electronics.

I like the idea of offering to buy the machine but do not think it would have worked. His game room is set up for a pinball machine and this LW3 is his favorite item in the room.

$500.00 was not the original quote. The customer knew at the time I accepted the repair that there was more work to do and my labor to cover those things. This makes the original bill as known and agreed by the customer to be at least $800.00. That includes a flat rate of $100 per board parts and labor. So at this point I am closer to twice the estimate from the extra work that needed to be done.

I am sure the replys are from experts that could have done it faster and cheaper. I am also a perfectionist and know that any patch jobs I did would and could be seen by the next guy that I hadn't done all that was needed to bulletproof the boards I worked on. I did not want to revisit the same issues more then once. I did order multiples of most parts as I knew other issues might pop up. This amounts to about 20-30$ Some parts in the playfield could fail and burn more components. I added a few $1s here and there as extras when ordering. For instance the right saucer coil is shot evidence of the scorched MPU/CPU and was disconnected for that reason by me but the VUK coil was stuck on at testing. This problem was not evident on the first visit. It fried the Tip36c on the PPB on the second trip and had to be removed and repaired along with the fried diode on the coil. My extra parts I ordered came in handy.

As far as me taking $500.00 and sucking it up or learning a lesson let's see how that works.

Without any spares the parts would be about $250.00.

9 hours in the car going back and forth 3 times. I'm sure had I planned better I could have done it in two trips.
    Gas is about $30.00
    No one seems to have qualms with my $50.00 an hour rate but the consensus is my novice level made it take too long. So let's say I'm super fast and it only took 4 hours total to do all the board removal and replacement as well as replace the coils switches etc.
    That is $200.00 for labor. So far no charge to repair the boards. So I'm at $450.00 already for the bill with the 4 hours labor. Let's say 1 hour soldering all five boards so $50.00 more making it $500.00 total.
    At this point assuming I had actually told him it would only cost $500.00 total which I did not, I would have basically wasted my time. 14 hours billed with driving and onsite work. Giving me about $13.50 an hour. But it actually took more then 25 hours of my time so for this job I get paid less then minimum wage or about $7.25 hr. Either way is no good for me.

So to be realistic

Sticking to my original quote of $500.00 flat rate to recap the boards that brings the $450.00 bill to $950.00. If I charge for only one house call at $150 bringing it to $1100. This is what I had thought doing rough math. It wasn't until one complication after another brought me to calculate my actual time invested into this job. With the bill at $1100 there is no hour rate for all the work. If it took me longer then it was on me. Talking about the job with friends, customers and family led me to believe I was not charging enough for the work I put into the job. This is why I made this post here.

I don't think this is "logic" I think its math. There are no surprises in that bill. There are needed parts to do the job. Needed travel time charge and needed labor.

I have not marked up the cost of parts or inflated labor charges. I have tried to account for the time that was needed to perform the repairs. Normally I charge a flat rate. This is for repairs I do daily at my shop. I charge due to inflation more now then when I started 20 years ago and my skills have progressed where it takes me 1/5 of the time to do the work. I do not believe I should charge less because I can do the work faster now. My rates for those services are the same if it takes me 1hr or 5hrs.

Lets look at a car shop doing an alternator repair. Wholesale cost of part $125.00. Shop bill's you $225.00 for the part. Actual labor time is one hour for a worker getting paid $15.00 hr. The shop bills you using a computer program called Alldata that has your car listed at 2.5 hours for alternator repair. The shop charges $60.00 an hour so it costs $150.00 for the labor. You get a bill for $375.00 and it cost the shop $140.00 so they make a profit of $235.00 less expenses. Tools, machines, overhead. A driveway mechanic would have done the job for $80.00 and actual cost for the part. With no overhead that would be a good profit for him but what kind of warranty for you.

There are all kinds of people in this world. This customer would drop off his $100k car at the dealer and pay the bill. He wouldn't argue or discuss the price. That in mind doesn't mean I want to overcharge him any more then I want to do a bunch of work and not get paid for it. But it does mean I'm not stuck with an unrealistic budget and just stop working because it will cost the customer "too much" or give away my services to finish the job.

I have a brick and mortar shop that I run. I have for just going on 20 years. If I am out of the office I am not there to make money and still have a lease to pay. When I do a house call it is only after advising the customer to bring in the machine as it is cheaper for them. That and I can work on multiple machines at once. A client that needs an onsite house call pays me to leave my office and come to them. If possible I bring the machine back to my shop and return it to them at no extra charge. Those house calls are usually not more then a 25-30 min trip. I am the only tech at my shop. When I am not at my shop the work does not get completed.

I wonder had someone picked up this machine for $600.00 broken and done all the work I have done would they have hesitated to sell it for $2100 and make the same amount of money for the same work.

I did find 2 local pinball machines being sold for over $3k and when I contacted the seller they said nothing had been done to them. They were a 1989 and 1991 model and I can only think they would need a good bit of long overdue maintenance. Seems a little shady to value a machine but not put a value on the work needed to make it worth your asking price.

This guy got robbed on the purchase of this machine. Anyone of you replying could or would have done this repair for much less than myself and seem to think I am the one robbing him by overcharging him for repairs.

The fact I have not given him a bill and that I came on here looking for advice should explain that is not the case. I am trying to provide a quality service the same as anyone else and be fairly compensated for my time.

I can see that some of the people replying work at big companies and maybe only get paid a lower hour rate for their time. Some people have sold dozens of machines and must spend countless hours on repairs and restorations only to not be fully compensated for their time. Most do not agree with anything I have said at all and found many holes in my "logic" even going as far as acusing me of being dishonest or misrepresenting myself and none of that is true. The varying responses all are helpful none the less even thought I am getting chastised for stepping out of my field.
    People ask me to fix all kinds of things that I don't normally fix. Some jobs I take on and others I pass on.

I came here asking for advice and I thought it only fair to try to respond to everyone that replied. I know I may have repeated myself some and this is a long post. I will check back and see what people have to say. I have attached a few pictures of the machine and boards.

Update is as follows. The holiday has delayed my last visit and I have still not made any formal invoice as of yet. I do have the remaining parts ordered and am confident I have everything to finish this job.

20190822_111355 (resized).jpg20190822_111355 (resized).jpg20190813_165633 (resized).jpg20190813_165633 (resized).jpg20190815_183712 (resized).jpg20190815_183712 (resized).jpg20190822_111352 (resized).jpg20190822_111352 (resized).jpg
    #16 4 years ago

That is a pretty long reply

#17 4 years ago

That is one expensive lethal weapon!

#18 4 years ago

holy crap

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-02 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).png
    #19 4 years ago

Lol. I missed all of the replys and wanted to comment in one shot. So I take it $3K is a bit much for that LW3?

#20 4 years ago

That's the longest post that I haven't read on pinside.

#21 4 years ago

It looks like it has a butt plug for a topper.

77033e81c3955f3be5517c633a9abb3d05233452 (resized).jpg77033e81c3955f3be5517c633a9abb3d05233452 (resized).jpg
    #22 4 years ago

My advice, provide an invoice you can sleep with and compromise with the customer if they disagree with the invoice. Only you know what will make you happy in the end. But the end result should be making the customer and yourself content.

Take what you learn from the experience and remember it in the future to help elevate future issues.

Good luck!

#23 4 years ago

I wasn't certain till I read this:

"I can see that some of the people replying work at big companies and maybe only get paid a lower hour rate for their time."

You are what is known in these parts as an asshole.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from LouDuva:

I wasn't certain till I read this:
    "I can see that some of the people replying work at big companies and maybe only get paid a lower hour rate for their time."
    You are what is known in these parts as an asshole.

Thank you for your opinion.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

It looks like it has a butt plug for a topper.[quoted image]

LOL it does. Seems the light from the window gave it a weird outline.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

That's the longest post that I haven't read on pinside.

I feel it deserves some sort of award lol, how long did it take to type? I don't think all my posts together even add up to it?

#27 4 years ago

I had been off and on going up and reading the replys to my original post and adding to it before I posted it. I'm not sure why I felt I needed to reply to all the comments. I guess I didn't expect so many replys on 4 days.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from specialed:

As far as me taking $500.00 and sucking it up or learning a lesson let's see how that works.

Everyone has different standards, but you have to look at the value of the game vs. your time and resources. If you were able to fix it for a few hundred that seems more in the realm, otherwise you should of passed and told your concerns to the customer. Most leathal weapons don't go for more then 2000, so to spend 1500 repairing it seems excessive.
    I also agree with the posts above, charging for research doesn't seem right. If you didn't know how to work on something, but took it on anyway that's something you choose to do knowing it was out of your purview.

If I was you, I'd pick a number the customer would be happy with and pass on pins in the future.

#29 4 years ago

I just worked on a guys Space Station for the last 80 hours ( and could have kept going as there were still things that needed to be addressed but I simply ran out of time for it) and charged the guy $6 per hour.
    Of course the further you get into a game the worse off you find that there are more and more problems. In the end, he's happy and I once again confirmed to myself that I should never take on working on other peoples games since there are too many other things I could be doing that are worth more then $6 per hour.
    Live and never learn I guess.

John

#30 4 years ago

Dayhuff. To pose the same questions that were asked of myself. What arrangements did you have with the customer on pricing? You charged him $480 for your work? Did that include parts? How valuable is a Space Station pinball? Was it working 100% and just not shopped all the way? I am just wondering how these things go. Most other replies were more along the lines of up front estimates and didn't address the excess work you describe. Do you have any idea why it took you so long?

#31 4 years ago

Hocuslocus
    Thanks for the advice. I have had people get computers for free and then not want to spend $50 to repair it. Then had another customer in the same situation think $125 is a deal because the laptop was free.
    I seem to be getting beat up on my use of the word "research". I just meant the time I spent on this repair that wasn't soldering or onsite labor. I spent closer to 20+ hours on my phone late at night learning about this LW3 pinball. I've done the same thing for a "new" 80s BMX I just acquired. The big difference is that is my hobby and this is a job.

When I take in a laptop I spend time researching the problem if it is not obvious. Discovering defects. This might take an hour and is factored into the repair estimate. I made that list if charges on a hypothetical bill to calculate the time I had invested into the job.

I had to print a manual out and bind it. Would have cost 25$ online. The pdf I had just didn't suit my needs. I would assume each new pinball machine would bring new issues and needed research.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

holy crap[quoted image]

Before I saw your post, I was going to ask if this was the longest reply in Pinside history?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I just worked on a guys Space Station for the last 80 hours ( and could have kept going as there were still things that needed to be addressed but I simply ran out of time for it) and charged the guy $6 per hour.
    Of course the further you get into a game the worse off you find that there are more and more problems. In the end, he's happy and I once again confirmed to myself that I should never take on working on other peoples games since there are too many other things I could be doing that are worth more then $6 per hour.
    Live and never learn I guess.
    John

I can't count how many machines I've helped fix locally for free. It's a hobby to me, and I enjoy the challenge. And its paid me back 10 fold in good will, leads, friendships etc. I'm not for a second suggesting techs do this...they have mouths to feed. I guess my point, is sometimes good will and generosity go alot further than a little extra money. I'd stick to the $500 quote.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from specialed:

Dayhuff. To pose the same questions that were asked of myself. What arrangements did you have with the customer on pricing? You charged him $480 for your work? Did that include parts? How valuable is a Space Station pinball? Was it working 100% and just not shopped all the way? I am just wondering how these things go. Most other replies were more along the lines of up front estimates and didn't address the excess work you describe. Do you have any idea why it took you so long?

When him and I first talked about it I told him that "even if I charge you $10 per hour I will easily and I mean easily rack up 50 hours into the game, so that's $500". He was fine with it. We'll after putting waayyy to many hours into it trying to get it working and playing the best I could it was probably closer to the 80 hour mark when you figure in going to his house, looking and talking the game over, breaking it down and taking it home with me, setting it back up, doing a complete shop job tear down top and underside, making broken pieces that would take to long to try and track down and find, repairing the wireform that was busted, board work, disassembling mechs under the playfield and cleaning those, flipper rebuilds, play testing, blah blah blah.......and then breaking the game back down and hauling it over to his place and setting it back up for him......, it's 80 hours. I know that he only paid $300 for the game and he didn't want to put the money into fixing the displays which needed a new glass in player three, the other ones were fine. In the end I always feel bad about charging someone for repairs that could probably have done "faster" I guess but when I give a price quote I ALWAYS stick to it no matter how much beyond I go over with it. It's my own fault but if something took me say two hours and would take someone else 30 minutes then why should he have to pay for that extra 1 1/2 hours because I'm slow? I don't know, it's just the way I do things I guess and this is the main reason I don't want to do house calls anymore, it's just not worth the time. If I were to charge him say the original $10 per hour agreed upon price, we'll that's $800. OUCH!! Parts wise was like $50 worth. So I stuck to my $500 estimate and $50 for parts. Hand him a bill for $550 and hope he doesn't have a conniption about it and get the heck out of there........LOL.

John

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I can't count how many machines I've helped fix locally for free. It's a hobby to me, and I enjoy the challenge. And its paid me back 10 fold in good will, leads, friendships etc. I'm not for a second suggesting techs do this...they have mouths to feed. I guess my point, is sometimes good will and generosity go alot further than a little extra money. I'd stick to the $500 quote.

Your absolutely right, and I did plus the $50 for parts. He seemed fine with it. Yes doing good for the hobby has always paid it back to me in more ways than I can count. The problem is that it's not the money, it's the time. I'd rather be working on my own stuff, plus having a real job that I work seven days a week at. Depending on each situation..., I'll sometimes refer them to other techs that might be willing to take on the "challenge" of fixing the game but at a $50+per hour rate but what am I to do? I can't take the time to fix everything that comes along and some era of games I'm just more familiar with the fixing part then I am in other era's. For example I know an EM game is going to take me far longer then a SS game for instance. I love the hobby but sometimes I just have to turn people away or put them on a waiting list even during my "busy season".

John

#36 4 years ago

specialed, if I'm following along, your customer asked you to help on the pinball machine and is used to your onsite rate structure. You had three visits and would charge him $300 each, or $900 total for those visits. You also had about $100 of parts not related to the boards. I think these amounts you should be less concerned about. Your customer is familiar with you and your work on slot machines and wanted you do to this work. I assume your customer knew that you made multiple trips. I'd feel comfortable charging him for this as usual. (i.e., $1,000 for the visits and non board related parts)

You also identified that some board work needed to be done and said that the guesstimate for repairing the board offsite was $500. You put in 20 hours of work (10 hours "work" and 10 hours "research"). And, you had $200 of parts for the boards. If I'm still following along, since you are suggesting billing a total of $1,500, you would be charging an additional $500 for the board work, which is what you estimated to your customer. You can look at it a couple of different ways, but you would essentially be billing $30 per hour for your time "working", writing off your research time, and recouping costs on the parts.

I don't know much about board work, or whether what you did would generally be done cheaper or not, but, again, if I'm following along, my guess is a $1,500 bill is about what he is expecting and would be fair based on your existing relationship with him.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I'd stick to the $500 quote.

There was no $500 quote. Didn't you read the book?

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

There was no $500 quote. Didn't you read the book?

Lol...only the dust jacket where he said "My original quote not counting house call or the other issues that had to be repaired onsite was $500.00 as a guess estimate to repair the visible damage to the 5 circuit boards."

#39 4 years ago

Thank you to the others posting. I do apologize for the book and the sequel reply post.

@bruinfan. Yes you are following exactly what I was describing.
    It seems the more this progresses it's obvious by the responses most pin techs make less the more work they do and either dont take large jobs or take them knowing they will be giving away their labor.

I am only willing to give away so much of my time. I also dont want to make a habit of it but tend to factor in a few followup trips after the fact that will be free.
    Again my experience is from a different field, computers, but there is always one more trip and if you dont expect it you may feel robbed of your time.

There have been a few people who agree with me but not as many that disagree.

My book is so long I know the details are getting lost and that is my fault.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd charge the $500, learn from it, and next time work more closely with the customer on what the final bill will be.

What LTG said.
    Also, I think it is wrong to bill a customer for time spent learning.
    Customers pay for expertise, and professional development is a price you pay to establish and maintain that expertise.

#41 4 years ago

First: I am not a pinball tech, just an owner of a few pinball games...but I do have a business with multiple customers each day.

I would approach this a little differently. Obviously, you have invested too much time/energy on a game that probably should not have been repaired or as some seem to think, could have been repaired by a knowledgable pinball tech much more quickly and probably better. I say better because most of us would acknowledge that an expert can do a job faster and better than a non-expert.

I would look at the the value of the pinball game, then decide if I owned it , what I would be willing to spend to get it working again. This would be how I approached my pricing and if you are losing money, then that is money spent on your education.

As a business owner who provides a service, there are times where you probably deserve to be paid more but know that this was not what your customer was expecting and you just accept less and learn. Luckily, these lessons are less frequent now!

#42 4 years ago

I have been doing home repairs since 1986. In order to do repairs properly one has to see dozens of failures and symptoms among 100's of different games. As these games age it gets to be more of a challenge. Weird stuff is failing as these games approach 40+ years old.
    Did an Elektra out of state that the owner spent 600.00 on replacing cpu , sdu driver and labor. Problem was never fixed.
    I found issue was lower pf flippers would quit at times. Was cracked solders at solenoid expander bd. I saw this before and was able to fix quick for him. He didn't have to send it to the curb like his wife wanted
    I still get the Gorgar type calls where the 2.5 amp fuse is blown . I replace the fuse and the client assumes the call is done as the game kicks out a ball and plays.They sometimes say "wow thats all it was just a fuse?" What is a challenge to convey to the client is that the game has bad sockets, connectors, dried caps, dirty switches, battery alkaline damage, worn flipper parts, dirty target switches, etc , etc , etc. Sometimes I get the impression the customers feel Im trying to overcharge for work. This isn't the case . With these older games I like to do a blanket approach when doing repairs on older neglected games. If I fix the one issue that causes the game not to play on a 40 year old game and leave its doing the client a disservice. When a game is playable everyone (family,neighbors) etc want to play as a working pinball machine is the center of attention esp if its been dormant for years.
    Typically when a home owner purchased the game it was already used and had hacks, repairs and several people that have worked on it previously.
    I try to give a range that the parts and labor will fall into on a scenario like this. If it exceeds the range (rarely) I will eat the difference. I've been doing this for so long now that I know what to expect when dissecting a game and doing repairs.
    Its not uncommon for me to do a return trip for something that quits that I didn't catch. Typically if its in 90 days I wont charge.I just do it when in the area and clients are good with that. I factor this possibility into my rates. Additional parts are billed but not labor.
    Some machines are just better to walk away from. Examples are if they have been stored outside or have had rodents living in them. I still find however that clients will sometimes want even these resurrected.
    I still enjoy home service but it can be a challenge at times. Its definitely not for everyone. Appliance repair is probably easier but I wouldnt be able to play a dryer when im done with the repairs

#43 4 years ago
    20190201_235546 (resized).png20190201_235546 (resized).png
    #44 4 years ago

OP, I commend you for trying to tackle the problem. As we're all arm chair quarterbacks, here's the play I would have made, if I wasn't picking up this pinball repair job as a hobby/learning experience (that one spends personal time on instead of profession time and client money).

"Let me help you find someone who specializes in (arcade, pinball, coin-op, whatever)".

Your bread and butter is on computer tech. These pinball platforms are something else.

And, ignoring that, the second approach: Take the game to the shop..

#45 4 years ago

I read your whole post and what I see you keep mentioning more than few times is that this pinball repair was taking away too much of your family time with your wife and was intruding on your computer business hours. What I don't understand is what the hell does that got to do with anything??? Weren't you the one that accepted the job when you knew that wasn't your specialty?

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I read your whole post and what I see you keep mentioning more than few times is that this pinball repair was taking away too much of your family time with your wife and was intruding on your computer business hours. What I don't understand is what the hell does that got to do with anything??? Weren't you the one that accepted the job when you knew that wasn't your specialty?

Hello V4Vendetta
    Thank you for taking the time to read my long posts and reply to it.
    Please dont get me wrong that I am complaining that my pinball job took my precious time as that is not it at all.
    My time is my time just like any other person. If I choose to spend that time doing anything including work that is my choice.
    I chose to accept the pinball job to help my customer who asked me.
    The constant references about my time were in response to others suggesting I give it away for free.
    My time is worth money to me. My customer agreed to that when he pays me come to his house and give him my time exclusively.
    I charge for house calls for my "specialty" the same way.
    I charge for my time no different then someone being paid to go to work at their job.
    I sited references to other computer jobs I have done charging the same rates that also took me from my shop and at times my family. I chose those jobs too.
    If I do not work I can not support myself and my family.
    My free time wont be very enjoyable if I dont have money to live or pay for things I want.
    It is of course a balance between my own desires and my needs.
    My customer wants a pinball machine but doesn't have the time or knowledge to repair it himself.
    He uses his time to go to work and make money and pays me to repair the machine.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

OP, I commend you for trying to tackle the problem. As we're all arm chair quarterbacks, here's the play I would have made, if I wasn't picking up this pinball repair job as a hobby/learning experience (that one spends personal time on instead of profession time and client money).
    "Let me help you find someone who specializes in (arcade, pinball, coin-op, whatever)".
    Your bread and butter is on computer tech. These pinball platforms are something else.
    And, ignoring that, the second approach: Take the game to the shop..

Thank you for reading my post and replying.
    I researched local rates for pinball repair and found only one tech advertising in my area. It turns out he is an hour further away then I am. 2.5hr one way 5hr round trip. I contacted him and he was not willing to make the trip and wanted the pinball brought to him. The customer did not want this. I found a post by Mr.Bally about 9 years ago with in home pinball rates. I used that as a rough guide and since my rates were half of what he suggested for professional pinball repair I figured what I was charging was fair. Since I am a novice and not a pro at pinball I never expected to charge professional prices. That it seems though is a matter of opinion. Most opinions are simply that I stay in my lane and/or my rates are still too high.
    I took on a big job that was asked of me and considered it a challenge.

#48 4 years ago

@Mr.Bally

Thank you for weighing in. I have read your backstory and bow to you pinball God. You have literally been fixing pinball machines since before I was born. It seems you have pinballs in your veins.

I think it's great that you share your love with your family. I too started my career in my field by filling the back of my Dads station wagon with computer parts. My father came to work at my shop every day to help me in my business. He even drove with me one time to visit this pinball repair. (We made a detour after to pick up a table saw using his van.) He taught me woodworking when I was kid. That was one of his passions. My own two sons are at my computer shop every day and learn my trade. Throughout this pinball repair they were learning with me. Picking them up each day from school they were updated on the latest progress in repairs.

I see you were in school for pinball repair and watched every advancement in technology and new machines as they were made. Me I am self taught. I have spent my free time from 15 years old learning to fix things. Computers were the new thing in the 90s and I cut my teeth on older machines. I fixed anything I could learn to fix over the next 24 years but specialized in Computers. I like to think I learn more each day in my field and branch out to repair all things electronic.

I can not accept that anyone can not learn on the job. I think most everyone learns as they go and get paid to do so. I know Mr.Bally you are an exception. I dont think anyone here went to pinball school like you did. Personally when I was 15 it was girls that kept my hands busy. Even when I was cutting grass to make money to buy a girl nice things or take her to dinner.

I have seen your replys to other posts in forums and you always have helpful advise. I appreciate your advice in this matter.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I think what OP was looking for here is people telling him he was entitled to charge more because of all the time & effort he put into fixing something he knew very little about. I think even before he made this post he knew it would be wrong to charge as much as he was suggesting and was hoping people would support the "logic" in his original post.
    Sadly life doesn't work that way.
    How would the original poster feel if he had a guy out to fix his heater and was talking to the guy about his broken washing machine. The heater guy says "I can fix that for you and it should be around $200". Then a few weeks later he gets a bill for $600 instead because the heater guy had to read about how to fix his washer? Same thing!

I've re-read this thread and the above comment seems correct. Multiple people have suggested a smaller fee than $1500 and "specialed" keeps arguing that he is qualified, justified etc to charge the $1500 fee. Not sure there is much more to add here than do what you want to do.

#50 4 years ago

I have attempted to make sense of this entire thing twice now....

All I want to know is where to send my labor bill for time to read it all.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-repair-cost-on-in-home-job?hl=crazypinballguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.