(Topic ID: 267856)

Total plays? Lifetime plays? Balls played? What the?!?!

By WizardsCastle

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7106 (resized).jpg
    beatles spreadsheet (resized).png
    IMG_20200503_233204 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I have a habit of restarting a game if I have a really stinky first ball. I do it all the time!

But when I went to check my total plays, it doesn't seem to match up with the balls plays.

For example, my game says there are 1070 TOTAL PLAYS, and 1167 LIFETIME.

However, total balls plays are 1816, and total extra balls are 114.

So how do you determine how many full 3 ball games you've played.

If I take 1816, subtracted the EBs (114) and divide by 3 (standard balls per game) I would be at around 567. Far off from the total or lifetime plays.

Can anyone make sense of this?

IMG_20200503_233204 (resized).jpgIMG_20200503_233204 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

As you say, you restart frequently, meaning that a large number of your “total plays” never make it to the full 3 balls, so by dividing by 3 you are artificially compressing the partial games of only a single ball into fewer total plays, which is of course not what you’ve been doing. The logic for counting total plays is, in all likelihood, just the number of times start has been used without regard to whether all three balls in the game actually get played or not in the end.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeminiGuy:

As you say, you restart frequently, meaning that a large number of your “total plays” never make it to the full 3 balls, so by dividing by 3 you are artificially compressing the partial games of only a single ball into fewer total plays, which is of course not what you’ve been doing. The logic for counting total plays is, in all likelihood, just the number of times start has been used without regard to whether all three balls in the game actually get played or not in the end.

What is the difference between total and lifetime?

And if pressing starts adds to the value of total plays, the most accurate way for me to figure out the number of games is probably:

Balls played - extra balls ÷ 3?

#4 3 years ago

I could be wrong, but I think lifetime plays is just what it says. The total plays, total balls, etc. get reset to zero when you reset audits. The lifetime count does not.

As for how many full games you played, that can't really be answered. You have two equations with three unknowns, so there are lots of possibilities. If a is the number of 3-balls games, b is 2-ball games and c is 1-ball games, then:
    a + b + c = 1070
    3a + 2b + c = 1702

Now, if you always play either all 3 balls or quit after ball 1, then you had 316 full games and 754 1-ball games.

#5 3 years ago

I'm usually a "restarter" too. I go through phases where I try to play all games straight through, but they don't last. I noted the same problem as OP when trying to determine how many games I've played. On modern Sterns, I found a way to get # games played.

There are audits that give number of games played per a time range. This data seems to be generated only by COMPLETE games. For instance, at one time I noted that the sum of these "timed" games was 1637 games, compared to 3426 "total plays", which I assume includes the restarts.

I was calculating average game time, and dumped audits and imported to a spreadsheet, screenshot copied below. This might give you an idea as to how to determine total complete games (just ignore right 4 columns).

beatles spreadsheet (resized).pngbeatles spreadsheet (resized).png
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

I'm usually a "restarter" too. I go through phases where I try to play all games straight through, but they don't last. I noted the same problem as OP when trying to determine how many games I've played. On modern Sterns, I found a way to get # games played.
    There are audits that give number of games played per a time range. This data seems to be generated only by COMPLETE games. For instance, at one time I noted that the sum of these "timed" games was 1637 games, compared to 3426 "total plays", which I assume includes the restarts.
    I was calculating average game time, and dumped audits and imported to a spreadsheet, screenshot copied below. This might give you an idea as to how to determine total complete games (just ignore right 4 columns).
    [quoted image]

Excellent idea!

How do you dump this data? I see the option on menu, but how is it exported?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

I'm usually a "restarter" too.

The term "self-starter" is well known and has a positive connotation.
    The term "restarter" sounds like Jerry coined it in an episode of Seinfeld.
    How many will admit to being a restarter whenever your first ball drains a millisecond after ball save expires?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

How do you dump this data? I see the option on menu, but how is it exported?

Audits menus -> dump

and on my machines it asks you to insert a USB drive. There are USB jacks in the back box (can't remember which one works). Machine will dump text file to USB drive.

IMG_7106 (resized).jpgIMG_7106 (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

Audits menus -> dump
    and on my machines it asks you to insert a USB drive. There are USB jacks in the back box (can't remember which one works). Machine will dump text file to USB drive.
    [quoted image]

Either USB port should work. Whether it's for audit dumps or game code updates.

1 year later
    #10 2 years ago

Can anyone confirm which was the first Stern pinball machine to feature lifetime plays in its audits menu? (that couldn’t be reset with a code update)
    I always thought it was Iron Maiden; Legacy of the beast

#11 2 years ago

99% sure my xmen pro had it, but then it skipped couple years and came back.

3 months later
    #12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hawks:

Can anyone confirm which was the first Stern pinball machine to feature lifetime plays in its audits menu? (that couldn’t be reset with a code update)
    I always thought it was Iron Maiden; Legacy of the beast

So this feature was started in 2019 so Munsters was the first to have it initially. However then any game that received a code update in 2019 would get it. For instance my DP and GB got updated then they received it but it is not "true lifetime plays" Its lifetime post 2018. I do see alot of ppl trying to pass off there GB and all those previous games as having that low number tho so be careful anything made before 19 as the correct odometer reading cuz they could've put thousands of plays on GB cuz it was out 3 and a half years before that update in September of 2019.

3 weeks later
    #13 2 years ago
    Quoted from MacGruber:

So this feature was started in 2019 so Munsters was the first to have it initially. However then any game that received a code update in 2019 would get it. For instance my DP and GB got updated then they received it but it is not "true lifetime plays" Its lifetime post 2018. I do see alot of ppl trying to pass off there GB and all those previous games as having that low number tho so be careful anything made before 19 as the correct odometer reading cuz they could've put thousands of plays on GB cuz it was out 3 and a half years before that update in September of 2019.

The complicated part of audits is getting a true read when people like myself are serial restarters.

On my AIQ, I see there are about 900 games played, but if I do some math with the balls played and extra balls, all ng with my habits of restarting, it's closer to about 300-350 games.

That means probably probably +60% of my games were restarted after a bad first ball (told you I was a serial restarter!).

So getting an accurate read on the amount of play isn't as simple as looking at one number.

But I fully agree with you on older games. The audit means nothing, as most people have reset it.

I always look at the amount of dirt on the switches under the playfield, along with condition of of to get a good idea.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-plays-lifetime-plays-balls-played-what-the?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.