22728799_1587462964648258_3765913268536550974_n (resized).jpg
22554945_1587462981314923_6813432946561869941_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.49.08 AM (resized).png
IMG_5283 (resized).jpg
20171122_180108 (resized).jpg
20160429_220810-e1461987875766-768x1365 (resized).jpg
20160329_212620 (resized).jpg
20171118_193251 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago

By far the best bang for the buck in NIB pinball!

I am very happy with my first ever NIB purchase!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m worried about singing player games.

Don't be. AT first I thought it was best as multiplayer, but after lots of solo games it is just as fun!

I am obsessed with trying to make it through nine reactors. it won't happen for a very long time but I will do it eventually.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I see this question about TNA getting asked over and over. The problem with waiting to play it first to form an opinion is the scarcity. Most people don't have access to one on location, so it's either watch a video online or hope it's at a show. Beyond that you have to ask yourself what you like in a game. If it's music and lights, there's very few that have done it better. Beyond that I think opinions can vary greatly it just depends on what you are looking for in a game. Heck, even Scott admits the game isn't for everyone.

It really has no scarcity issue. The beauty of the unlimited run is that you should be able to easily play one at a show or on location. I think there at least 7 on route already and it has been or will be at every major show.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I didn't mean scarcity in the long run I meant right now. Even with 7 on location I'd say that the vast majority of people who would like to play one before buying one haven't had the opportunity. I live in Pittsburgh, if you told me where I could play within an hour from my house I'd leave right now.

Pretty sure pittsburgh will get one soon...

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

flip it around - I think that's the side you play pinball on ; )

Honestly, you are better than this. Flip it over and it is still a packed game.

#127 6 years ago

Thanks for stopping over and fun playing some games with you.

Now you need to sell something and make room for a TNA
see you at the launch party!

#150 6 years ago

just wanted to point out that technically TNA doea have 1 ramp...

Skip ramp takes you form shooter to orbit

#171 6 years ago

Another solid month of play on game #2 which has had 2 months on route.

Players are loving it. Biggest issue this month was ball went under sling rubber durring multiball. This meant a trip out to free the stuck ball but also meant I had a reason to go play a few more games

Game is a pleasure to maintain and keep clean.
Build quality is without a doubt very solid. Spooky made improvements form AMH to RZ and even bigger improvements from RZ to TNA.
This playfield in particular is VERY VERY nice.
Small details that I tend to look for like wire management and solder technique (done correctly and leaving slack where needed to make any future repairs) are really nice.

We dont talk specifics, but 2 months in and I can highly reccomend this game to any operator.
People love it, it plays very well out of the box, and I foresee it will maintain a high earning potential for a longer trajectory than most games. Early indicators point to this having long term earning power at a stable rate on route. (i.e. comparable to some of the classic B/W titles at this stage). Will need a few more moths to make a real conclusion, but wanted to share.

I also obviously like putting money towards the smaller guys that are providing new full featured product and quality service. Just admitting I am biased in that manner, but the game speaks for itself in this case

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Have you done anything yourself to add protection to the game before putting it out there? ...as we all know when you bring TNA home you need to use protection!
Seriously though, have you noticed any wear around the drain hole, shooter lane, or divots, etc. in front of the scoops?
I think I would at a minimum mylar or self-laminating material over the shooter lane, around the drain hole, and in front of the scoops (just based on recent Stern PF issues within the first 100 games), and since it costs next to nothing and is basically invisible when applied and can be easily removed (no glue).

I will grab some photos and post up so you can see current condition. I have not done anything beyons plastic protectors which were installed at the factory. I see ZERO wear in any of the expected high traffic ball areas at this point, but will take a close look for you with photos when I get a chance.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Appreciate that - thanks.
I don't expect problems based on their statements and testing, etc. but was pretty shocked when my NiB Metallica showed chipping after a few dozen games, so just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean the PF won't start chipping after a dozen plays.

so far, TNA appears to have the best quality pf on the market.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Do you know the manufacturer of the playfield?

nope, no idea.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Does clear appear thinner than on new Sterns (I've read some speculation that over-thick clear can cause more perceived dimpling)?

nope, looks similar but different (in a good way)

Quoted from fosaisu:

Are there fewer air-balls than on other games?

nope, def lots of glass banger in multiball (I love that BTW)

Quoted from fosaisu:

Can't remember if you still have other Spooky games on route, but that would also be an interesting comparison as well, since there's a chance they're using the same playfield manufacturer/process across their games.

something is different from previous titles. I dont know how to explain it or what it is, but it looks like a slightly less high gloss finish but better saturation of color beneath. They have experiemented and changed something. I was most amazed that the constact ball movement over the drop taget slots (I had one drop screw set too low/ need tightening and the game was played for a full day with it out of level) and NO issues. Any other game would have chipped immediately from even a few plays over the slot.

I assume they will try to keep the new formular close to their chest.

When I picked up the game at Spooky I was allowed to see the rig which is constanly firing balls all over the pf/out of scoops/etc... and even in ways that are more extreme than it will ever see in real life. Pf looked perfect after some crazy amount of ball hits (1 million? some insane number)

10 months later
#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

After some consideration after a bunch of games, here's my issue with TNA: the repeated shots needed are in such a tight arc. The "tic tac toe" grid is directly next to the ball lock. The Reactor Start shot (scoop) is just to the other side of the grid. So a considerable amount of gameplay is spent hitting shots in a rather tight range. For me, this is far less interesting than a game like, say, Whirlwind, which has a similar "hit a bunch of targets to qualify something interesting" rule, but those targets are spread all over the playfield. In TNA, I feel like too much of the playfield just goes unused much of the time. Meh.
I still give Scott and TNA big props for its great lightshow and sound track, as well as just for existing. But unfortunately, it feels to me like TNA is close to being something amazing, but doesn't quite get there.

umm.... you do realize that after you start a reactor you also need to hit the orbits in order to get to the core and over heat it?

The game uses the entire playfield and to progress even past reactor one an start a multiball, you are forced to hit each main shot. To score any points you have to do it well.

If you like hitting targets all over a pf, that is fine. Just say that. However, trying to make it sound like the playfield is unused is just silly and poor form.

2 months later
#212 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

its a great game but the build quality has taken the shine of it for me. Flaking play fields after few hundred games and a pretty poor solution from spooky.

isn't that limited to a handful of PF in the mid 300s?

1 year later
#223 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... after 2 years. Does it still hold up?

100000000000%

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

that it is, when it first released we used to play it for hours. I wouldn't mind owning one but it would have to be picked up cheap.

I like how you down play ("collects dust") but in the next post... you want to pick one up... but only if it is cheap.

Sorry, but I think you have seen them as cheap as they are going to go for.

I can appreciate your desire to try and sway public opinion so you can find a deal, but they have seen the secondary (no longer new) drop and have since started to rebound now that R&M production is starting up (people realize it will be 2 years at earliest before spooky runs any more/ if ever)

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

he ask if it holds up, I said I don't think it stands the test of time. I think it wore quickly with most folks, not all. I never said it sucked. It is a fun multiplayer game, but in my opinion it is not a $5k+ pin. All my friends sold theirs very quickly. My one friend who still has one bought it from another friend and it collects dust. fun to play, cool music, not bad but not great. Everyone has a opinion and there are lots of games I would love to have but will not pay the going rate.

you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how transparent it is.

good luck in your search for a cheap one.

based on how few change hands, and how many other would like to get one; I think if anything the price will go up over time.
TNA (resized).JPGTNA (resized).JPG

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

If it's at a high-traffic location, probably not unless there's a good tech on-site.

lol. Hardly any issues with the game since Day 1.

Totality of issues:
1 broken flipper spring (replaced all 3 at that time)
1 loose data connection cable ( a little hot glue and fixed)
Needed to tighten all 3 drop target wingnuts to hold height set point
1 Opto failure after a couple thousand plays.
3 lights replaced

This is a game that has been moved at least 5 times, has thousands of plays, and is currently back at a high traffic location where it gets played almost constantly some days.

Completely serious... It has been one of the easiest games to maintain of the herd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-worth-it?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.