22728799_1587462964648258_3765913268536550974_n (resized).jpg
22554945_1587462981314923_6813432946561869941_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.49.08 AM (resized).png
IMG_5283 (resized).jpg
20171122_180108 (resized).jpg
20160429_220810-e1461987875766-768x1365 (resized).jpg
20160329_212620 (resized).jpg
20171118_193251 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

I think it’s priced correctly.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Played it a ton and it's a badass multiplayer game. Single player, not so much.

I’m worried about singing player games.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I find myself being more attracted to simple games, anyway.

Like Woz?

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

While I agree it's not wise to comment or purchase a pin you haven't played, I also think it's dumb to think playing a handful of games in a public bar/arcade gives you much insight into a pins potential (particularly in a home environment).
I played SWLE at Ayce Gogi and didn't fall in love after a few games. Bought it anyway since one was being sold by a local collector. After 30 games, was still not getting it. After 50, the game started to click. It's brutal, but a real adrenaline rush when things click. On a purely superficial level, it certainly can't compete Dialed In (a lavish Lawlor design).
Nevertheless, I totally get the perspective that "pinball shouldn't be that complicated", which I believe is the retro appeal of TNA. This is why I love my Paragon/Fathom/Centaur triumvirate I still need to play a TNA...seems like a pin I'd love.
snaroff

I agree hated TWD when played at shows and a few games here and there but now I love it.

I really thought ST was great when I played it before buying it but after several years it never really was that good to me, sold it and didn’t miss it.

Tron is a game I bought without ever playing a single ball, loved it at first ball and it’s still one of my all time favorite pins.

The sights and sounds of TNA are a big draw for me but also the retro style and the reviews of people who have played it make me think it’s going to be great.

#74 6 years ago

It's not as if you are completely out $6K. Let me explain. I bought PotC for $4K 10 years ago and it's still worth that at least, so I got to own the pin for 10 years and it's worth $4K+. This is not like a TV or computer that I bought 10 years ago.

I have bought several new pins still looks new in 5,6,10 years on. I sold my 4-year old STLE for what I paid for it, I sold my 4-year old XMLE for $2K loss, it's not certain about TNA but if it's a fun game likely it will retain 70-80% of its new price (edit this is my pins which are kept immaculate and look new after 5 years).

I'll be able to sell TNA in the future. Let's say it's 5 years old and all I can get for it is $4200, that would mean that it cost me $2K to own it for 5 years or around $1/day.

If I was strictly worried about resale and loss of money, I would buy a HUO that will inevitably be for sale in a year for $5K.

I bought a $9500 Woz that was 6 months old, cost me $8300, I could have bought one new but I felt better about saving $1200.

However that was real time, meaning could get either. With TNA paying a bit more to get the game in the next 3-4 months. It's unknown if HUO TNA will be selling at a discount in the next 3-6 months.

#75 6 years ago

If I was to consider something, not TNA it would be AFMr SE which costs $7300 or GOTG pro which costs $5500 (I have concerns about GOTG code since it's not Lyman). Stern pro is like $500 cheaper (note I am not sure what the going rate is for the new Stern pro pins).

Could get AFM classic with color conversion for $6900 but think the SE or LE is a better value with its extra features

But there will likely be a lot of GOTG and AFM pins around in the future because they probably will sell more. I think TNA costs more because they don't have a huge number of sales so all the R&D and tooling has to be absorbed and paid for over a run of fewer than 500 games (estimate).

Plus I can wait on the code of GOTG if it's good in 1-2 years can pick one up.

#95 6 years ago

I like the small things like topper and side rails were included in the cost.

Just played RZ which was not my cup of tea but the game build and quality was very nice.

I’m glad to support Spooky and Scott and buying because I have a large collection that TNA will be a different experience.

1 week later
#170 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I thought that said a/s/l? hahah
35/M/Sleepy Hollow in case you wanted to know.

So how many are being made per week?

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

I am not a braggy kind of guy... at all. We flat out have the toughest playfields in the biz, period. And they aren't cheap to make. We test the living hell out of them and are CONSTANTLY working to make them better.
Just nice when someone notices stuff we get right huh?! Lol... That steel ball is ALWAYS going to win, but we fight it as hard as we can.

this is why I am buying my first Spooky pin. You can never fake quality.

7 months later
#197 5 years ago

I’m anxiously waiting for #343. Still reading as much as possible. I’ve only played 10-12 games (single player).

A few reviews say it’s too repetitive. I don’t think that’ll bother me any because I don’t play thousands of games a year like some do.

Mostly I’m glad to hear so many positive reviews.

Actually the new code (variation) be it co-op and speed mode have me so excited to get it in my collection.

3 months later
#198 5 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Just curious what people think. I really dig the sound of the game and some of the features. Is it worth 6000$ though? Really enjoyable old school unique style. Thoughts?

I could have posted in the TNA owners thread but I specifically wanted to give my 2c as to if this pin is worth $6000?

I just got my TNA with shaker, speaker lights and side art, plastic proctors so it was all said and done (delivery) $6500.

I believe Stern pro now start at $6K without shaker so apples to apples (no options on the TNA would be $300 more than a Stern pro because most Stern pro would include delivery in the price).

For reference I just bought AFM remake $8300 and DI LE (would be $8300+) Woz RR ($9K).

so the TNA is on par (more like modern pro level game) than an LE Cadillac pins.

I'm not saying TNA is cheap but the going rate for nib pro level pins. So in my mind TNA is in the ballpark of what I'd expect to pay for a nib pro level pin.

What I think TNA has that sets it above *most* pins (and if you care about that) is that it's got such a great light show. I had thought STLE, DI, WoZ were the king of the color changing game but TNA seems to be head of the pack. I do love the fade on Woz in some modes especially and maybe that's more subtle but TNA lighting is fantastic.

I like the stock sound on TNA and the music is phenomenal. I like the build quality for the most part (a few quibbles) but the major stuff is just great.

I was worried about the lack of shots and if I would be ok with the limited rules. But so far (I know it's early) but so far the rules have not been any cause for concern and the lack of shots (I admit I miss the satisfying ramp shots) but it is not lacking if you can get over the lack of ramps. It's got a great lock mechanism and I love the randomness of the pop bumper and like the challenge of hitting the scoop and the intensity of hitting the reactor destroy shot(s) this does get very intense to me (pressure packed). The rules have a lot of nuance and some interesting bits like the lane change ball save and the hurry up jackpot shots.

IMO TNA delivers.

I wouldn't care for this pin in a very small collection, I could see getting frustrated (both in a good and bad way). I like that the pin fights back and that it has short ball times.

I see TNA rated below TWD, below Tron and above IM. That feels ok. I don't think it's up there with AFM (it arguable does not have the have the chops to be top10 or top20 but it feels special enough to be rated fairly high) IMO it's somewhat limited, somewhat of a one trick pony. But there's a saying it's OK to be a one trick pony if that one trick is great.

#201 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

umm.... you do realize that after you start a reactor you also need to hit the orbits in order to get to the core and over heat it?
The game uses the entire playfield and to progress even past reactor one an start a multiball, you are forced to hit each main shot. To score any points you have to do it well.
If you like hitting targets all over a pf, that is fine. Just say that. However, trying to make it sound like the playfield is unused is just silly and poor form.

I don’t think he said all the other shots were never used he was saying the shots we hit the most are in a close area: lock, grid, scoop.

I think it’s ok myself but for example TWD the mode start is in a complete different area than most other shots. Some games you have to hit the mode shot to start the mode. Games are unique so it’s not a rule that the shots have to be separated just a design choice.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I still give Scott and TNA big props for its great lightshow and soundtrack, as well as just for existing. But unfortunately, it feels to me like TNA is close to being something amazing, but doesn't quite get there.

I can see this conclusion. It is not a game for everyone. Arguably a game like Stern Potc or Tron has more mass appeal.

But I bought TNA partly because it’s different than the majority of modern pins of the last 20-30 years. It’s got a street level layout but modern sound and lightning. It’s not going to outsell a game like Tron or some other safe game design but if I wanted something different for my lineup TNA is quite different.

#203 5 years ago

I have been playing TNA and can safely say it was worth the cost (for me) and will be in my collection for a long time. Not a concern of the code or layout, the game is flat out fun, addictive and extremely difficult to master. I had been worried about the home brew nature, but the game has a professional feel to me, it is well put together and very solid feel.

2 months later
#207 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

For you TNA owners that have a small collection would you recommend it? I would be playing it by myself mainly. Would it get old? I have one other game (Houdini) that is plenty deep so that is keeping me busy. I've love the TNA package - theme, music, etc. and I've played it a few times out in the wild and loved it. Always thought I might have one some day. Now I have a spot open in my little 2 game collection so I'm thinking about TNA as my new second machine.

I don't know about a small collection (like 3-4 pins), but it is a very fun game. I have 12 pins and if I was to cut my collection in half, TNA would make the cut because it's so much fun to play.

98% of the time I'm playing TNA by myself as well so it's not just a great game for multiplayer but it probably is better than most pins as a multi player pin.

I have it right next to AFM (which is a big measuring stick) they both are a fantastic pins which to me says a lot about how good TNA is. Not the deepest but not every pin needs to be super deep. The only thing against TNA is lack of super satisfying shots and modes. Basically it's the same goal plus the multi ball (jackpots). But it does it so well that I don't care that it's not deep.

1 year later
#228 4 years ago

It’s the most played game whenever I have a get together too.

I can see how *some* people might tire of it but I have 14 pins and never get tired of any of them.

For myself it’s still as fresh as the first month. But also I never play a ton of any game so I’m unlikely to burn out. I can see If someone was a heavy volume player getting tired of TNA but same would be for any other game.

#249 4 years ago

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Still holds up in my collection and I still love it very much. My butter cabinet still looks like the day I got it. I also still have plans for software updates once time allows. I cannot thank you guys enough for the kind words about the game. I know it is not for everyone though, and that is 100% expected and all good. I do enjoy talking to people that do not like it though as it gives me a good perspective on what others think.
--Scott

Scott you are the main reason I love this pin and ordered R&M TNA was always great to flip and code, lights and music but it’s the continued improvement the little attention to detail that makes it excellent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-worth-it?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.