22728799_1587462964648258_3765913268536550974_n (resized).jpg
22554945_1587462981314923_6813432946561869941_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.49.08 AM (resized).png
IMG_5283 (resized).jpg
20171122_180108 (resized).jpg
20160429_220810-e1461987875766-768x1365 (resized).jpg
20160329_212620 (resized).jpg
20171118_193251 (resized).jpg
There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

umm.... you do realize that after you start a reactor you also need to hit the orbits in order to get to the core and over heat it?
The game uses the entire playfield and to progress even past reactor one an start a multiball, you are forced to hit each main shot. To score any points you have to do it well.
If you like hitting targets all over a pf, that is fine. Just say that. However, trying to make it sound like the playfield is unused is just silly and poor form.

I don’t think he said all the other shots were never used he was saying the shots we hit the most are in a close area: lock, grid, scoop.

I think it’s ok myself but for example TWD the mode start is in a complete different area than most other shots. Some games you have to hit the mode shot to start the mode. Games are unique so it’s not a rule that the shots have to be separated just a design choice.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I still give Scott and TNA big props for its great lightshow and soundtrack, as well as just for existing. But unfortunately, it feels to me like TNA is close to being something amazing, but doesn't quite get there.

I can see this conclusion. It is not a game for everyone. Arguably a game like Stern Potc or Tron has more mass appeal.

But I bought TNA partly because it’s different than the majority of modern pins of the last 20-30 years. It’s got a street level layout but modern sound and lightning. It’s not going to outsell a game like Tron or some other safe game design but if I wanted something different for my lineup TNA is quite different.

#203 5 years ago

I have been playing TNA and can safely say it was worth the cost (for me) and will be in my collection for a long time. Not a concern of the code or layout, the game is flat out fun, addictive and extremely difficult to master. I had been worried about the home brew nature, but the game has a professional feel to me, it is well put together and very solid feel.

2 months later
#204 5 years ago

For you TNA owners that have a small collection would you recommend it? I would be playing it by myself mainly. Would it get old? I have one other game (Houdini) that is plenty deep so that is keeping me busy. I've love the TNA package - theme, music, etc. and I've played it a few times out in the wild and loved it. Always thought I might have one some day. Now I have a spot open in my little 2 game collection so I'm thinking about TNA as my new second machine.

#205 5 years ago

I have around 14 games and since TNA arrived about 8 months ago, the others don't get played.

#206 5 years ago

I may have like 9 or 10 pins, but if had to pare down to 3 -- TNA would be one of the three.

I don't get why folks say it's a multi player only game. It certainly becomes awesome with others, but you get plenty of fulfillment single player.

Especially if your other pins are long mode based games. Get a hard ass kicking pin.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

For you TNA owners that have a small collection would you recommend it? I would be playing it by myself mainly. Would it get old? I have one other game (Houdini) that is plenty deep so that is keeping me busy. I've love the TNA package - theme, music, etc. and I've played it a few times out in the wild and loved it. Always thought I might have one some day. Now I have a spot open in my little 2 game collection so I'm thinking about TNA as my new second machine.

I don't know about a small collection (like 3-4 pins), but it is a very fun game. I have 12 pins and if I was to cut my collection in half, TNA would make the cut because it's so much fun to play.

98% of the time I'm playing TNA by myself as well so it's not just a great game for multiplayer but it probably is better than most pins as a multi player pin.

I have it right next to AFM (which is a big measuring stick) they both are a fantastic pins which to me says a lot about how good TNA is. Not the deepest but not every pin needs to be super deep. The only thing against TNA is lack of super satisfying shots and modes. Basically it's the same goal plus the multi ball (jackpots). But it does it so well that I don't care that it's not deep.

#208 5 years ago

I play TNA so much I’m starting to sell my other games :/ they just don’t get played as much anymore.

#209 5 years ago

I play TNA on location with friends. But I will not buy it for my collection.
It’s the same over and over again..,

#210 5 years ago

its a great game but the build quality has taken the shine of it for me. Flaking play fields after few hundred games and a pretty poor solution from spooky.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

its a great game but the build quality has taken the shine of it for me. Flaking play fields after few hundred games and a pretty poor solution from spooky.

Need more info than that please. Pictures? What was their solution?

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

isn't that limited to a handful of PF in the mid 300s?

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

isn't that limited to a handful of PF in the mid 300s?

No mine was 279. Disappointed in the play field and correction with that said the game is fantastic. In a small collection it would work fine but depends on the other games.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

This is a bit of a niche analogy, but I'm going to go with it anyway. When I was first getting into arcades one of my dream machines was X-Men, the 90s Capcom beat'em up. When I finally had one in my house I was ecstatic. However, after playing though the game multiple times, it's allure started to fade. After the initial honeymoon period was over, I went back to playing Ms. Pacman. TNA is more in the style of Ms. Pacman. It doesn't have a complicated ruleset, and you could teach someone the basics in under 1-minute, yet it's a game that you continue to master over a lifetime. I don't believe in keepers but TNA can certainly can hold it's weight, even in a small collection.

#215 5 years ago

I've only ever had 3 or 4 pins at a time and I think TNA holds up in a small collection just fine. The brutal (but fair) gameplay keeps me pressing the start button, while the music, light show, and straightforward rules pull in my friends. The co-op and team vs modes are icing on the cake and add something that other machines won't offer.

This would be the last machine to leave my collection.

#216 5 years ago

No it’s late double digits 70ish to 400+

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

No mine was 279. Disappointed in the play field and correction with that said the game is fantastic. In a small collection it would work fine but depends on the other games.

My game is number 81 and my PF looks incredible with around 1000 plays. I currently have 8 games and this is one of my go to games with friends or solo play. No other game provides a rush’s like TNA when you are at reactor 4 and above.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

My game is number 81 and my PF looks incredible with around 1000 plays. I currently have 8 games and this is one of my go to games with friends or solo play. No other game provides a rush’s like TNA when you are at reactor 4 and above.

Yeah, they changed something in the process that was supposed to improve something but it had an adverse effect apparently.

#219 5 years ago

Thanks for the input! It's a hard decision but I'm leaning very heavily towards a TNA purchase. I feel much better about it being in a small collection.

#220 5 years ago

ive played about 10 games on it, it def is prob the fastest pin ive ever played, even faster than tron. im sure this game can only help your reaction times on other games. it was pretty neat because it was so different than most out nowadays. would be a great game to ad to a collection for variety. The sound is just phenomenal.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

ive played about 10 games on it, it def is prob the fastest pin ive ever played, even faster than tron. im sure this game can only help your reaction times on other games. it was pretty neat because it was so different than most out nowadays. would be a great game to ad to a collection for variety. The sound is just phenomenal.

That's a really good point. I would agree that TNA will make you a better pinball player.

11 months later
#222 4 years ago

So... after 2 years. Does it still hold up?

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

100000000000%

#224 4 years ago

I don't think so...

All my local friends and barcades that owned them have passed them on. I do have 1 local buddy who still has one and it collects dust. He has had a couple get togethers recently and it did not get played once the entire nights.

#225 4 years ago

When my pin friends are over we always play it. Often more than any other of my games. It's a phenomenal multi player game.

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

When my pin friends are over we always play it. Often more than any other of my games. It's a phenomenal multi player game.

that it is, when it first released we used to play it for hours. I wouldn't mind owning one but it would have to be picked up cheap.

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

It gets the most play here. Fantastic game.

#228 4 years ago

It’s the most played game whenever I have a get together too.

I can see how *some* people might tire of it but I have 14 pins and never get tired of any of them.

For myself it’s still as fresh as the first month. But also I never play a ton of any game so I’m unlikely to burn out. I can see If someone was a heavy volume player getting tired of TNA but same would be for any other game.

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

that it is, when it first released we used to play it for hours. I wouldn't mind owning one but it would have to be picked up cheap.

I like how you down play ("collects dust") but in the next post... you want to pick one up... but only if it is cheap.

Sorry, but I think you have seen them as cheap as they are going to go for.

I can appreciate your desire to try and sway public opinion so you can find a deal, but they have seen the secondary (no longer new) drop and have since started to rebound now that R&M production is starting up (people realize it will be 2 years at earliest before spooky runs any more/ if ever)

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

It gets the most play here. Fantastic game.

More than Octoberfest??

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

More than Octoberfest??

I love Oktoberfest, my personal favorite. I think it's TNAs straight forward gameplay, simple layout and quick ball times that attract guests. Not to mention they love coop play.

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I like how you down play ("collects dust") but in the next post... you want to pick one up... but only if it is cheap.
Sorry, but I think you have seen them as cheap as they are going to go for.
I can appreciate your desire to try and sway public opinion so you can find a deal, but they have seen the secondary (no longer new) drop and have since started to rebound now that R&M production is starting up (people realize it will be 2 years at earliest before spooky runs any more/ if ever)

he ask if it holds up, I said I don't think it stands the test of time. I think it wore quickly with most folks, not all. I never said it sucked. It is a fun multiplayer game, but in my opinion it is not a $5k+ pin. All my friends sold theirs very quickly. My one friend who still has one bought it from another friend and it collects dust. fun to play, cool music, not bad but not great. Everyone has a opinion and there are lots of games I would love to have but will not pay the going rate.

#233 4 years ago

Casual players at my house tend to avoid it, but competitive players flock to it. It easily gets the most plays. I've had mine for a year and love it more all the time. Easily my favorite game, but I love working on improving my play and it's great for that.

#234 4 years ago

Bought mine new over 1 year ago.
Still loving it.
It is a masterpiece.

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

he ask if it holds up, I said I don't think it stands the test of time. I think it wore quickly with most folks, not all. I never said it sucked. It is a fun multiplayer game, but in my opinion it is not a $5k+ pin. All my friends sold theirs very quickly. My one friend who still has one bought it from another friend and it collects dust. fun to play, cool music, not bad but not great. Everyone has a opinion and there are lots of games I would love to have but will not pay the going rate.

you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how transparent it is.

good luck in your search for a cheap one.

based on how few change hands, and how many other would like to get one; I think if anything the price will go up over time.
TNA (resized).JPGTNA (resized).JPG

#236 4 years ago

I still own two. I have one here and one at my daughter's house. They recently moved and now have room for only two games instead of four. The two they picked to keep were TAF and TNA.

I still like it and so do they!

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I still own two. I have one here and one at my daughter's house. They recently moved and now have room for only two games instead of four. The two they picked to keep were TAF and TNA.
I still like it and so do they!

I would like to get a TNA at some point as I really enjoy it.

If you need more room to store pins Bryan I have space in my basement. Let me know if I can help out.

#238 4 years ago

It absolutely holds up after two years. After more than two years of ownership I’m confident saying TNA is one of the best games ever made and it stands the test of time.

It has the best sound track in pinball history (no easy feet) and one of (if not the) best light shows in history. TNA is an adrenaline filled rush with meaningful shot after meaningful shot after meaningful shot. I get that some people just can’t get past it being a single level game or whatever, but it is pinball perfection and easily the best game for when guests swing by.

I did a temporary trade of my TNA to good friends of mine who stream games so it could be streamed. They wanted to keep it and wanted me to keep the Monster Bash LE...not a chance, I got my TNA back after six weeks, missed it too much.

#239 4 years ago

I currently have over 20 pins and TNA would definitely be one of if not the last to leave my collection. It is still the most played machine when friends come around,simple rules but an intense experience with the speed, lightshow and sound being second to none. Great machine in a small to large collection because it is just so unique and fun, no other machine i know of could replace it.

#240 4 years ago

well, just shows why pinball rocks, something for everyone.

#241 4 years ago

Large collection, but love TNA. If you want to change it up a bit too, throw one power ball in!

#242 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Large collection, but love TNA. If you want to change it up a bit too, throw one power ball in!

How about 4 power balls? Haha. Actually this was a little too crazy when I shot this. One was a great idea though.

#243 4 years ago

It's a cool game, but I think it fits best in a collection of 8+ pins. It is different enough to be fun, but not challenging/intriguing enough to have in a small lineup.

I always ask myself what else I could get for the price (approx 5k in this case), and there are several other pins I would rather have at 5k.

#244 4 years ago

It's full-on Mission Impossible neon dance music goodness! Kind of a one-shot wonder...but my oh my in a large collection LOTS of fun and a must-have for gatherings...a true ass-kicker (up there with TRON, BSD and Iron Man) with co-op mode.

#245 4 years ago

If it's at a high-traffic location, probably not unless there's a good tech on-site.

#246 4 years ago

I’m kind of over it. Never bought one and it would need to be real cheap to even think about it.

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

If it's at a high-traffic location, probably not unless there's a good tech on-site.

lol. Hardly any issues with the game since Day 1.

Totality of issues:
1 broken flipper spring (replaced all 3 at that time)
1 loose data connection cable ( a little hot glue and fixed)
Needed to tighten all 3 drop target wingnuts to hold height set point
1 Opto failure after a couple thousand plays.
3 lights replaced

This is a game that has been moved at least 5 times, has thousands of plays, and is currently back at a high traffic location where it gets played almost constantly some days.

Completely serious... It has been one of the easiest games to maintain of the herd.

#248 4 years ago

I bought one NIB and still have it. I don’t play it as much now, but still enjoy playing it when I do. I don’t have any intention of selling it soon. MBR LE and SW Prem will go first.

#249 4 years ago

#250 4 years ago

I love mine. It was my third game and first NIB. It's still my favorite game in my collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 210.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-worth-it/page/5?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.