22728799_1587462964648258_3765913268536550974_n (resized).jpg
22554945_1587462981314923_6813432946561869941_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.49.08 AM (resized).png
IMG_5283 (resized).jpg
20171122_180108 (resized).jpg
20160429_220810-e1461987875766-768x1365 (resized).jpg
20160329_212620 (resized).jpg
20171118_193251 (resized).jpg
There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 6 years ago

#102 6 years ago

I've played it and "get it", but just not the style of pinball I prefer. If I want a "retro style" pinball game, I can buy an actual retro pinball machine at any time for a fraction of the cost.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I've played it and "get it", but just not the style of pinball I prefer. If I want a "retro style" pinball game, I can buy an actual retro pinball machine at any time for a fraction of the cost.

You're missing the point. It's retro pinball fast and brutal with modern pinball mechs, lights and sounds.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You're missing the point. It's retro pinball fast and brutal with modern pinball mechs, lights and sounds.

I said I "get it".

#105 6 years ago

You say that, then talk about just buying an old game if you want that. But if you got it, you'd realize you can't get what TNA offers in an old game.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I think what jwilson is trying to say is that TNA does bring some modern things to a retro style that you cannot get from a retro pinball machine. If you don't like that style of pinball it doesn't really matter, the game is definitely not worth it in your case.

#107 6 years ago

I was just about to say something similar. You definitely can't get the sound, lights, and fast action that TNA offers in any pinball out on the market today, much less "retro".

#108 6 years ago

For me, this is where the game really shines...amazing competition game. It's hard to quantify the intensity of the lights, music, shaker motor, and speed unless you play it.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/202903385

#109 6 years ago

Definately not worth it since I'll get mine in about a month and by law am not allowed to switch on.

But I think it'll still be one hell of a beauty,... sitting there in the corner... collecting dust!

#110 6 years ago

Got to play it this weekend and had a lot of fun with it. Very unique game and I think worth the money if you have a good collection and already a have bunch of modern games. If you only have 1 or 2 games, I'm not sure this would be the best use of $6K, but I think adding the latest and greatest stearn/JJP has limited returns after you already have a few in your collection and mixing it up with TNA would work nicely.

Look forward to seeing what Scott does next.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I think what jwilson is trying to say is that TNA does bring some modern things to a retro style that you cannot get from a retro pinball machine. If you don't like that style of pinball it doesn't really matter, the game is definitely not worth it in your case.

I think I said "I get it" and it's "not my style" and thus it indeed isn't worth it to me. Is there a parrot in here?

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I think I said "I get it" and it's "not my style" and thus it indeed isn't worth it to me. Is there a parrot in here?

No, you obviously don't get it, it IS your style and it IS worth it to you.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'll just as excitedly pursue a Taxi... a Stars... or a Road Show... as I would any NIB game.

Than you and I have something in common because:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-roadtrip-goodbye-2015

That was a very long and exciting trip for a Stars.

#114 6 years ago

I plan on playing TNA a lot at TPF in March to see if I want to purchase. It looks addictive and brutal.

The question of it being worth $6k is completely subjective. Idk if its $700 better than a ST, MET, if we are going off the sum of parts and gameplay features, but it's something different and that appeals to a lot of folks. So if this game is your style and you can't get enough off it, it's definitely worth it.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

No, you obviously don't get it, it IS your style and it IS worth it to you.

Lol...Damn, you guys keep harassing him maybe he'll change his mind.

PS: OP you will not get a real answer here, people have non-refundable deposits down on this game, the only way you will know is to play it for yourself before you buy.

#116 6 years ago

Well, I bought before trying one. Is this foolish? Probably. But, there is no way in hell I will get one anywhere near me and I am pretty sure I will like it as I like everything it offers. Toys and ramps do not a fun pinball make. It's the game play that counts IMHO.
Cheers!

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Well, I bought before trying one. Is this foolish? Probably.

I've had really good luck buying blind. Decent risk buying new tho.

#118 6 years ago

Sorry, this is probably addressed in one of the other TNA threads, but are these now in full production and shipping? Looking forward to playing one on route!

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sorry, this is probably addressed in one of the other TNA threads, but are these now in full production and shipping? Looking forward to playing one on route!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/79#post-4085082

Several people have already gotten their machines, and some are on route.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Well, I bought before trying one. Is this foolish? Probably.

Normally I would never advocate buying before trying, but I don't think it's foolish in this particular case.

- It's already in production and in people's hands so there's no fear of lost deposits.
- It's widely praised as a good game so odds are good you'll like it.
- If not, production of it is slow enough you could probably sell it for sticker price to someone who doesn't want to wait.

#121 6 years ago

This thread needs a poll bad.

#122 6 years ago

I haven't been this excited for a title in years. I considered guardians for about 2 seconds and then realized how much more of a game you're getting for a measly 600 bucks more. Stern needs to step up their game to compete with the likes of this. I put my deposit down yesterday. I'll be counting the months till delivery.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It's what is underneath that makes the top so much fun. There's twice as many coils in this than most modern games - everything on the playfield interacts with the ball the way a toy on a spring doesn't.
Just saying "it's an 80s game, you can get those cheaper" discounts the modern flippers, the modern light show - all RGB - and the modern sound, including the sound system. It's everything about real, brutal pinball you get in 80s games updated to modern standards.
I get it's polarizing and some people are more interest in aesthetics than gameplay. Thankfully there's options for everyone.

If that was the case i wouldn't have sold my Hobbit...

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This thread needs a poll bad.

Only poll needed is one that shows Scott & Spooky have sold amost 300 of these bad boys. The rest is pointless .

#126 6 years ago

played the one madison pinball has yesterday. super awesome to play on location but kept sucking the dollars out of my pocket! very fast and well done, exciting game for pinball. love it when the bass hits. it was on 2. nice talking to you whysnow. I have to find a way to go back out there to play it. can't wait til the launch party

Is it worth it? totally worth it

20171122_180108 (resized).jpg20171122_180108 (resized).jpg

#127 6 years ago

Thanks for stopping over and fun playing some games with you.

Now you need to sell something and make room for a TNA
see you at the launch party!

#128 6 years ago

I want that Atlantis!

#129 6 years ago

Nice line up. The cassette image on TNA during attract mode could even be funnier if it said Awesome Mix Vol. 1

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Nice line up. The cassette image on TNA during attract mode could even be funnier if it said Awesome Mix Vol. 1

This was the front of our Launch Party Shirt . Game is amazing.

IMG_5283 (resized).jpgIMG_5283 (resized).jpg

#131 6 years ago

Sent my deposit to make this my first NIB. And I’ve never played it! Love what Spooky and Scott have put together. Good pinball people... which is so refreshing after Kulek, JPop, Heighway, etc.

#132 6 years ago

TNA is a modern-tech, early 80s Bally classic throwback, with the kind of design & brutal gameplay that many players love so much, and others haven’t had joy of experiencing yet. It's exactly the type of game I've been praying someone would build. I never thought it would happen. But thankfully it did, so I bought one, without ever playing it.

Now that’s something I said I would never do. But I’ve watched enough TNA videos, studied the rules, & owned enough early 80s SS games to know what to expect. And just as important, I’ve learned enough about Scott & Spooky that they have earned my business, more that any other manufacturer right now. I’m happy to be a Spooky customer.

I hope TNA is a huge success. But more importantly, I hope the industry as a whole learns something here & discovers there is a market for these types of early 80s games in the 21st Century. I think TNA is just the beginning. Bring more early SS throwbacks to market, with original adult themes of fantasy, sci-fi, monsters & scantily clad women. Let the artists & designers go wild again & come up with some crazy cool ass shit. The kind of pin that deserves to be placed in a dimly lit bar & enjoyed with your drinking buddies. Pinball needs more of that right now, as I generally find the new Stern spike games to be all too similar, especially that these rediculous prices. I’ve had enough of all that.

It truly is time to resurrect & discover the greatness of early 80's pin design. TNA is the perfect start to this renaissance.

And for those players out there who don’t “get” the TNA hype, it’s alright. They don't know what they're missing yet, but they’ll come around eventuallyonce they get get to play it. I often find I get more enjoyment from a single level, early 80's pin than most modern, complex DMD games. Sometimes you just want to test your pinball skills, rack up some points, and win those Sac Rack dollars!

#133 6 years ago

I like “simple looking” pins and crazy ramped out monstrosities. Sometimes I can’t even explain why I like one’ and not another.

That said, can someone who has played this give me a read on how I might feel about this game? I love games like Space Shuttle, Black Knight 2K, Gorgar, and Firepower. I dislike games like Woah Nellie and Pabst Can Crusher. I think I ultimately get annoyed when there is a significant gap in the flippers, and SDTM is guaranteed when you hit a bad shot. I don’t mind a hard game, but I prefer what feels like a fair game.

I would really appreciate anyone who could compare it to some of those other games.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I like “simple looking” pins and crazy ramped out monstrosities. Sometimes I can’t even explain why I like one’ and not another.
That said, can someone who has played this give me a read on how I might feel about this game? I love games like Space Shuttle, Black Knight 2K, Gorgar, and Firepower. I dislike games like Woah Nellie and Pabst Can Crusher. I think I ultimately get annoyed when there is a significant gap in the flippers, and SDTM is guaranteed when you hit a bad shot. I don’t mind a hard game, but I prefer what feels like a fair game.
I would really appreciate anyone who could compare it to some of those other games.

TNA has nothing to do with Woah Nellie and Pabst Can Crusher...
If I had to compare TNA to a modern game, it may seem strange, but I would choose Iron Man!
Let me explain: layouts are totally different, but both games share these characteristics IMO:
Fast, relatively simple rule set, immersive music, ultra addictive with this "one more game" feeling, balls hurled at you at fast speed, short ball times.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It's exactly the type of game I've been praying someone would build. I never thought it would happen. But thankfully it did, so I bought one, without ever playing it.
Now that’s something I said I would never do. But I’ve watched enough TNA videos, studied the rules, & owned enough early 80s SS games to know what to expect.

I think if you've extensively played a wide range of pins you know what you like and can recognize it from videos and rule descriptions.

#136 6 years ago

If anybody gets one and feels it "isn't worth it" I will trade my very nice Pinball Magic for your TNA

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I dislike games like Woah Nellie and Pabst Can Crusher. I think I ultimately get annoyed when there is a significant gap in the flippers, and SDTM is guaranteed when you hit a bad shot.

Not sure if you're connecting the two statements above, but FWIW, I don't find either characteristics to be the case on my Pabst Can Crusher.

Regardless, I don't equate PCC with TNA at all. Rather, I think TNA is more like an early Bally solid state (which I also enjoy) on steroids.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Not sure if you're connecting the two statements above, but FWIW, I don't find either characteristics to be the case on my Pabst Can Crusher.
Regardless, I don't equate PCC with TNA at all. Rather, I think TNA is more like an early Bally solid state (which I also enjoy) on steroids.

I get it, apples vs oranges. All of these games have a really unique feel. I was just hoping to equate it to something I knew pretty well. I personally feel like BK 2K is a fast game. I love that game, and I was hoping TNA would be about that speed, with an open field layout kind of like a Gorgar or something. Again...I'm a novice, and I know I'm comparing apples to oranges.

Overall, I love the theme of TNA and my guess is I would enjoy it. I'll probably pick one up, then if I get board of it, just sell it.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You missed the point. PoMc is talking about gameplay and you about technology.
However, i respect the job made on this one, sounds and lights are just awesome. And yes, if i wanted a retro pinball it would be this one for sure. My only complain is about playfield artwork, I would have had something like translite

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

You missed the point. PoMc is talking about gameplay and you about technology.

"Retro pinball fast" is about the gameplay.

Probably the closest feel I can think of is BK2K - amazing soundtrack and light show, super fast gameplay, except TNA has better gameplay and a far better lower playfield.

#141 6 years ago

Super fun game to play with its speed, light show, and sounds. The rocket back from the scoop shot makes me laugh - no down time there. The whole game is just angry at you. I love it. Kudos to Scott and everyone involved with the game's production.

I think I'll buy a ticket from Project Pinball to keep hope alive until I can save enough money for one.

Definitely worth it.

#142 6 years ago

I have not played it yet but an old style design game for the price and no ramps, no for me rather something else. I understand people are into it as new game made for old era feel but just don’t get it sorry. Did not care much for WZ which I wanted to like. Best of luck to those spends the 6k but I see other games at that price far better, I will update after I try but have no interest and no reason for it to be a top 50 game.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I have not played it yet but an old style design game for the price and no ramps, no for me rather something else. I understand people are into it as new game made for old era feel but just don’t get it sorry. Did not care much for WZ which I wanted to like. Best of luck to those spends the 6k but I see other games at that price far better, I will update after I try but have no interest and no reason for it to be a top 50 game.

Your girlfriend has no ramps.

#144 6 years ago

I have not played it yet

no reason for it to be a top 50 game.

Maybe save your opinion until you can actually have one.

#145 6 years ago

While we're at it, are there any other games you haven't played, but would like to remove from the top 50? I'm sure the people who voted based on actual time on the games won't mind.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe save your opinion until you can actually have one.

Doesn't even necessarily have to own one, just play one.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Your girlfriend has no ramps.

Only an on ramp....

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

TNA is a modern-tech, early 80s Bally classic throwback, with the kind of design & brutal gameplay that many players love so much, and others haven’t had joy of experiencing yet. It's exactly the type of game I've been praying someone would build. I never thought it would happen. But thankfully it did, so I bought one, without ever playing it.
Now that’s something I said I would never do. But I’ve watched enough TNA videos, studied the rules, & owned enough early 80s SS games to know what to expect. And just as important, I’ve learned enough about Scott & Spooky that they have earned my business, more that any other manufacturer right now. I’m happy to be a Spooky customer.
I hope TNA is a huge success. But more importantly, I hope the industry as a whole learns something here & discovers there is a market for these types of early 80s games in the 21st Century. I think TNA is just the beginning. Bring more early SS throwbacks to market, with original adult themes of fantasy, sci-fi, monsters & scantily clad women. Let the artists & designers go wild again & come up with some crazy cool ass shit. The kind of pin that deserves to be placed in a dimly lit bar & enjoyed with your drinking buddies. Pinball needs more of that right now, as I generally find the new Stern spike games to be all too similar, especially that these rediculous prices. I’ve had enough of all that.
It truly is time to resurrect & discover the greatness of early 80's pin design. TNA is the perfect start to this renaissance.
And for those players out there who don’t “get” the TNA hype, it’s alright. They don't know what they're missing yet, but they’ll come around eventuallyonce they get get to play it. I often find I get more enjoyment from a single level, early 80's pin than most modern, complex DMD games. Sometimes you just want to test your pinball skills, rack up some points, and win those Sac Rack dollars!

I hope this game will live up to your expectations
And I think it is a good thing that kind of game still gets its market.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Only an on ramp....

Sometimes people use an exit ramp as an on ramp

#150 6 years ago

just wanted to point out that technically TNA doea have 1 ramp...

Skip ramp takes you form shooter to orbit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 210.00
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-worth-it/page/3?hl=cnuts13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.