(Topic ID: 194545)

Total Nuclear Annihilation or Star Wars?

By jonesjb

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you prefer Total Nuclear Annihilation or Star Wars for your next NIB pin?”

• Total Nuclear Annihilation 146 votes
    73%
  • Star Wars 53 votes
    27%

(199 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0399 (resized).JPG
IMG_0348 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy-facebook_s (resized).jpg
20424067_1510135732380982_6639884324275002884_o (resized).jpg
20369056_1510136082380947_4650448912797220906_o (resized).jpg
20368814_1510135825714306_4339517953444179916_o (resized).jpg
20449072_1510135999047622_9012878987276399357_o (resized).jpg
19693673_1510136192380936_5782673991462216237_o (resized).jpg
20451874_1510136302380925_4397846156859468965_o (resized).jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago

I hope to own both, at least for a while. For now, I’m trying to buy some games that have been out a bit longer. I’d like to exploit lower prices and more mature code / having the kinks worked out.

and.....

My Pinball neighbor is getting Star Wars Pro!

#102 6 years ago

Star Wars...and it's not even close. I've played more TNA than most (competitively and casually) and I rarely choose to play it anymore. SW can be brutal and has that one more game with much to explore. TNA is destroy reactor 1, rinse repeat. The shot which destroys the reactor does randomize (is that a word?) but not enough for me in a home setting. Still dig playing it socially, occasionally.

#103 6 years ago

I haven't played TNA as it's yet to reach Australia but have played SW many times and find it confusing and very underwhelming. Stern really need to start changing up their layouts and art packages. All their games are starting to look and play very similar. TNA looks to be a breath of fresh air and proves that you don't need 50 modes to make a good game. I hope more games are produced in this vein!

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

What do you think the ability to re-sell a TNA will be in the future if it doesn't click with me?

Have you played TNA yet? It appears like there is a Pinsider near you in Louisville who a TNA maybe you can try his.

It's probable not a game for everyone, I'm sure you can sell it but if you look at RZ where people got tired of it or it didn't click with them, I see a blood bath on resales on RZ.

That may be an unfair comparison because people bought RZ on order as a limited edition so they may have got forced into buying without first seeing it in action. TNA is unlimited run so people can wait to play it before buying.. I think likely most pins will lose something on resale. I picked up a like new RR WoZ that was $1500 less than I could get it for new.

I think (basically) if you buy a new pin and might lose $1500 some more or some less when you sell it. If you buy one resale, less loss potentially because the resale price market will be set. Not 100% the case, I've bought SM twice (sold once) and the price was $5K for a very nice example (which I bought and sold) but now the price might be closer to $4500 (ish).

I do believe TNA is a great game but (IMO) think it's better for a larger collection.

#105 6 years ago

TNA all the way.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

What do you think the ability to re-sell a TNA will be in the future if it doesn't click with me?

I would definitely be interested in a used TNA!

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I think it was the (well deserved) hype from the shows and people who've played it. Looks very sparse to me but when I watch the stream of it I can't help but think it looks freaking fun. It really is the opposite of what I'm looking for. I really am leaning towards DI but TNA looks amazing for the money. Although the layout appears rather simple, people who've played it love it. The light show and sound is amazing. And I LOVE the art package.

"Less is more." can be true with pinball sometimes too.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Any TNA owners play 90% solo play? I don't have pinball buddies locally. My friends are just not into. They see it as a strange hobby I have. My pinball buddies are my kids and honestly between the computer, PS4, PS3, and Nintendo switch, pinball takes a back seat. So for me, TNA will be a one player experience. I honestly didn't expect to be blown away by Star Wars. But it was fast, the music and lights were great, and the art was better in person. The supercharger on Getaway is one of my all time favorite mechs and I've been on the lookout for a Getaway over the last year (but so many are way overpriced)...so the hyperspace loop really scratched that itch. So, I am getting concerned that TNA may not hold up as a one-player game with no real modes to play.

Me and several non pinball buddies went to Tilt Pinball Bar the other day and pretty much took over their TNA for atleast an hour. They couldn't get enough of it and we all kept playing 4 player. It's a bit more of a struggle in my house to keep my pinball games going when they are over.. Granted I do not have the best titles but TNA grabbed them and got them throwing quarters they like they were going out of style. I'm in on a TNA and played Star Wars on location and was not impressed and I'm a huge Star Wars nerd as well (atleast George Lucas Star Wars). This game is one that grabs you in person and unfortunately nothing I've seen on youtube or anywhere does it justice. It needs to be experienced in person and LOUD.

#109 6 years ago

Several different design elements are required to make a great pinball machine, but TNA is proving that what one hears is still the most important of them all.

Audio is the biggest hook. What you hear is where the mind travels...

TRON also has a techno/Daft Punk feel which is not coincidentally a big part of its appeal. Pinbot too. And, of course, EM’s. All of those little rhythmic clicks and bells constitute a machine->human rhythm connection which is deeply arresting.

I suspect TNA’s success may encourage other designers to take some chances with the audio elements of their games. And good for that... because the repetitive plinky-dinky-dippity-doo System 11-era synthesis influenced pinball for far too long.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

the repetitive plinky-dinky-dippity-doo System 11-era synthesis influenced pinball for far too long.

NicoVolta is the man...but I respectfully disagree with this statement.

When I think of classic pinball soundtracks, several Sys11 games crowd the top of my list: F-14 Tomcat Swords of Fury and Black Knight 2000.

I love the Star Wars theme AND Steve Ritchie designs (I just referenced two of them), but when it came right down to it - my money went to Spooky and Total Nuclear Annihilation. I love the fact that TheNoTrashCougar and SpookyCharlie brought us a truly retro game with all the modern trappings, an amazing soundtrack (complete with bass chamber), a clear set of objectives, and a listening ear for what his customers are saying. Those elements alone are INNOVATIVE in this space.

Hope to own a Star Wars one day down the road (second-hand), but no contest for me when picking between these two.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

TNA ... a throwback in some ways, is something new. It's different and exciting. It's what I want to see more of in pinball ...

why do people just throw out adjectives and expect people to respect those comments as having any merit on which to base a decision?

looks like 5 generic comments to me:

> a throwback in some ways
> something new
> its different
> its exciting
> its what I want to see more of in pinball

none of that really told me anything about the game.
care to share any specifics of the actual game?

just sticking with the TNA mantra:
"great soundtrack, fantastic lightshow, plays fast" would have been better.

doesnt matter what game you are talking about ..
put some meat on the bone.

#112 6 years ago

I have loved TNA since the first DeadFlip stream at Scott's house. I am supper happy that two great local friends in pinball + a location in ATL have them so I have lots of chances to play TNA. That being said, I love Star Wars even more as it is an amazing game. 1B Light Saber Duel while keeping the 40X multiplier alive on the three bank the other day was as intense and fun as hell. Also, Destroying the Death Star (Episode IV style) on the Premium / LE isn't easy, but soooo satisfying when you pull it off.

I could see myself adding TNA to the collection at some point also down the road.

IMG_0399 (resized).JPGIMG_0399 (resized).JPG

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I have loved TNA since the first deadflip stream at Scott's house.

Well, I love TNA more than Lightning Kitty!

Oh wait ... that's been used.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

why do people just throw out adjectives and expect people to respect those comments as having any merit on which to base a decision?
looks like 5 generic comments to me:
> a throwback in some ways
> something new
> its different
> its exciting
> its what I want to see more of in pinball
none of that really told me anything about the game.
care to share any specifics of the actual game?
just sticking with the TNA mantra:
"great soundtrack, fantastic lightshow, plays fast" would have been better.
doesnt matter what game you are talking about ..
put some meat on the bone.

Actually, the phrase "throwback" means a lot in pinball. Currently a lot of the games coming out are all two ramps, two orbits, an inner loop or two, and most shots return to a flipper. Classics generally have a lot more risk and rarely guarantee a safe return to a flipper. In these ways, TNA is a throwback.

Something new...well, the integration of light, sound, and gameplay is very modern and definitely more evocative of new pinball.

It's different. Well, what game in the last 15 years is anything like this? Bet you can't name even one.

It's exciting. It sure is. It's a rush, and it ramps up in tension as you progress through reactors. It's hard to walk away from especially as you set a new personal best.

It's more of what he wants to see in pinball. That means he likes what he's played and hopes that a mix of classic design and modern integrations would be nice to see.

I'm not sure why it was so hard to understand what he was getting at.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm not sure why it was so hard to understand what he was getting at.

Got it all in one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-or-star-wars/page/3?hl=jeewiz13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.