(Topic ID: 194545)

Total Nuclear Annihilation or Star Wars?

By jonesjb

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you prefer Total Nuclear Annihilation or Star Wars for your next NIB pin?”

• Total Nuclear Annihilation 146 votes
    73%
  • Star Wars 53 votes
    27%

(199 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0399 (resized).JPG
IMG_0348 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy-facebook_s (resized).jpg
20424067_1510135732380982_6639884324275002884_o (resized).jpg
20369056_1510136082380947_4650448912797220906_o (resized).jpg
20368814_1510135825714306_4339517953444179916_o (resized).jpg
20449072_1510135999047622_9012878987276399357_o (resized).jpg
19693673_1510136192380936_5782673991462216237_o (resized).jpg
20451874_1510136302380925_4397846156859468965_o (resized).jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

but don't forget 6k could also get you a Jetsons!

hahaha please stop...you're making the Domino's pizza come out my nose

#52 6 years ago

Wow game looks fun and unique. Surprised the poll shows the all mighty star wars trailing behind a classic style game with no ramps. Makes me wonder what Gary is thinking

Edit: that outer loop looks fun!

#53 6 years ago

nothing is gonna change my SW LE order, im thinking about TNA also though, huge Bally 1980-82 fan.

#54 6 years ago

TNA is a blast to play! I got to play it at MGC. My vote is TNA.

#55 6 years ago

Allready ordered SW but will call my distributor if it's possible to change it.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Allready ordered SW but will call my distributor if it's possible to change it.

Let me know if PU imports TnA to europe! Thnx!

#57 6 years ago

Is it just me? as everytime I see TnA, I keep going, "......nice T*Ts and Ass!"

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is it just me? as everytime I see TnA, I keep going, "......nice T*Ts and Ass!"

No. It is not just you.

#59 6 years ago

When you buy a Star Wars buy a plastic set with it. Your going to need them.
Look for replacement toys too, they're paper thin.

#60 6 years ago

Based on the poll it looks like TNA will outsell SW 3

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

This may be an unpopular opinion but why are people so in love with TNA. While i agree the artwork and music is something to behold, the playfield looks even sparser than star wars and looks like it will get old extremely fast. My vote is for Star Wars

Have you played it? One game is all it took for me to get on the list. And that was with no artwork! I'm telling you it is frickin' awesome.

#62 6 years ago

What I see or hear:
- lightshow is awesome
- sound is awesome
- artwork is terrible
- what about gameplay? Does it feels like a 80's game?
- price is like a stern pro.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What I see or hear:
- lightshow is awesome
- sound is awesome
- artwork is terrible
- what about gameplay? Does it feels like a 80's game?
- price is like a stern pro.

Haha. Artwork is terrible and that's a plus. I love the artwork. A cool idea would be print your own instruction cards with your animated 80's self in them

Love the look of this game.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

nothing is gonna change my SW LE order, .

What about the rumor of SWLE manuals stating ghosting is now normal, would that Change your mind?

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

When you buy a Star Wars buy a plastic set with it. Your going to need them.
Look for replacement toys too, they're paper thin.

WHAT toys?

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

TNA doesn't look fun for the simple reason almost every single video I have seen of someone playing it, their ball time is less than 30 seconds. The game seems to be a serious drain-fest. I realize it's not meant to be an easy game, but I never see anyone do well on it in the gameplay videos.
Rob

"Play better." - Star Wars designer Steve Ritchie

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What about the rumor of SWLE manuals stating ghosting is now normal, would that Change your mind?

Doesn't look like a rumor. From other thread. Page 1.

Just sad.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/star/premium/StarWars_LE_Pre_web.pdf

#68 6 years ago

F*ck dude! Twinkie shits are hitting the fan!

#69 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#70 6 years ago

I don't think one shot with a Tie fighter really qualifies as a toy.

#71 6 years ago

Stern will sell many thousands of Star Wars and many times as many TNA that Spooky will produce.

If this poll is accurate at all, then it really makes the case about how niche Pinside is and not representative of the greater pinball world.

This is not a slam at spooky or TNA. It's just interesting to see how big the support is on Pinside (landslide), and how that compares to actual sales.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Stern will sell many thousands of Star Wars and many times as many TNA that Spooky will produce.
If this poll is accurate at all, then it really makes the case about how niche Pinside is and not representative of the greater pinball world.
This is not a slam at spooky or TNA. It's just interesting to see how big the support is on Pinside (landslide), and how that compares to actual sales.

Totally agree - but The problem with this poll, and even TNA is, let's say half the people who voted for TNA are seriously considering buying and have cash in hand; those people are still going to have a tough as nails time getting one anytime soon. Didn't spooky say they were only doing a run of 50 now, then 50 later. I have a feeling it'll be tough getting one of these.

#73 6 years ago

From the manual to save time looking it up:

Each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one-of-a-kind American made product. Each will have variations in appearance resulting from differences
in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual printed art and mechanical assemblies. No play eld is perfectly at and varies depending on the season. Game play will result in play eld dimpling as the harder steel ball contacts the wood and coating; over time multiple dimples will blend to make them less noticeable. Normal plastic insert crazing (tiny stress cracks) and ghosting (small cloudy areas around insert edges) are often seen in pinball machines, due to a combination of plastic mold stress, pushing of inserts into purposely undersized holes, and heating and breaking of inserts’ plastic “skin” when the playfield field is sanded.

IMG_0348 (resized).PNGIMG_0348 (resized).PNG

#74 6 years ago

The exploding tiefighter of course! Duuhhh.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Totally agree - but The problem with this poll, and even TNA is, let's say half the people who voted for TNA are seriously considering buying and have cash in hand; those people are still going to have a tough as nails time getting one anytime soon. Didn't spooky say they were only doing a run of 50 now, then 50 later. I have a feeling it'll be tough getting one of these.

I agree, there will be several more other new releases before people past place 50 will get a shot at one...the hype might be fizzled some then. If there were 500 available at reveal they all would be sold.

#76 6 years ago

I wonder if Spooky is keeping a numerical list based on the time you were added to the interest list. I put my name in the hat over Southern Fried.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I have a feeling it'll be tough getting one of these.

Maybe one this year if you've just signed up but I have faith that Spooky can deliver the majority of TNA's in 2018.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I don't think one shot with a Tie fighter really qualifies as a toy.

Then what is it? Looks like a cheap ass toy from China to me.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This thing really has me turning in all diff'rent directions..I don't know what to think.
I mean the look of it is HORRENDOUS...like total knuckler abortion...but that's the point isn't it? It's the whole retro Tim & Eric opening segment on the rock'n'roll tip which isn't my schtik but I've been telling people on this site for 5 years "you don't play the side art!"
It's a SS game & you'd think it's simple by today's standar.....buuuut I'm literally in line to by a SW pro and is this really less? Shit...is it actually more?
So yeah...wow....lot to process here and more choices is always awesome. Guys you got my head in a scratcher and my balls in a salad shooter. From the LITTLE I've heard from the music it sounded like that pinballlife Orgasmatron which I could do without but I haven't looked deep into it.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

The exploding tiefighter of course! Duuhhh.

Add that to the ghosting inserts (that Stern now says is normal) and the dimpling playfields, and you have an expensive POS

#81 6 years ago

I don't see how you can compare TNA with SW. TNA is a niche game from a niche pinball manufacturer. SW is much more mainstream and pretty much what you expect in a Stern. I look forward to playing both but TNA looks much more interesting. I imagine it would not work well as your only pin but great in a collection and great with friends. I have not been impressed with previous Spooky pins but TNA looks the best.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

well for example Pinside (owners) accounts for like 70% of all AMH pins but maybe 30% of Woz pins (if estimates are valid).

#83 6 years ago

The poll isn't meant to find out which will sell more, but see which passionate pinball aficionados will think is more fun.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

Let me know if PU imports TnA to europe! Thnx!

What's with RS Pinball?

6 months later
#85 6 years ago

Just thought I would see if I could revive this thread 6 months later. Played a SW LE this weekend and was very impressed. Have TNA deposit down, but the wait is killing me and I'm getting cold feet. So, what do people who have both or have played both think. With adding mirror blades, plastic protectors, shaker, and shipping TNA and SW premium get pretty close in price. So SW premium vs TNA?

#86 6 years ago

TNA still blows SW (any model) out of the water.

TNA has way more lastability. SW is just about a complex code(neat if you like that sort, but I personally have found it tedious and boring) and a theme (I think the theme is really poorly done on this one TBT)... nothing else. There are so many better Stern titles if that is what you are going for.

You show LOTR and TH in your collection, so the last thing I would want is yet another half hour long playing game.

TNA will bring some great diversity to your colleciton and I bet it gets more plays than anything...

#87 6 years ago

Definitely TNA.

#88 6 years ago

My TNA arrived last week. Couldn't enjoy it more. So easy to understand and difficult to execute. Even before I got TNA, my SW Premium has been sitting unplayed.

Quoted from Crile1:

With adding mirror blades, plastic protectors, shaker, and shipping TNA and SW premium get pretty close in price. So SW premium vs TNA?

With all those adds you'd have a fully loaded TNA and a basic SW. Add those things to SW and it's an additional $500. Stick with your TNA deposit. You won't regret it.

#89 6 years ago

Any TNA owners play 90% solo play? I don't have pinball buddies locally. My friends are just not into. They see it as a strange hobby I have. My pinball buddies are my kids and honestly between the computer, PS4, PS3, and Nintendo switch, pinball takes a back seat. So for me, TNA will be a one player experience. I honestly didn't expect to be blown away by Star Wars. But it was fast, the music and lights were great, and the art was better in person. The supercharger on Getaway is one of my all time favorite mechs and I've been on the lookout for a Getaway over the last year (but so many are way overpriced)...so the hyperspace loop really scratched that itch. So, I am getting concerned that TNA may not hold up as a one-player game with no real modes to play.

#90 6 years ago

TNA all the way!

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Any TNA owners play 90% solo play?

I play solo 90% of the time.

Funny... I originally thought TNA was all about the competitive play with others, but I actually am preferring to play solo. I just want to see how many reactors I can blow up.

Dont get me wrong, TNA is great in a group, but I play it solo a ton and have a blast!

#92 6 years ago

This is a very interesting topic. I’ve not played SW yet so can not speak to it, but Ritchie games are usually fun I’ve owned several including SM twice, T2, STLE, AcDc and Sttng.

I’m not sure if you have played TNA yet, I just did and have to say it was just about what I expected it to be. It’s certainly not like ‘rule city’ such as LotR. It’s got a few rules that you have to repeat and a very limited amount of side rules such as light mystery scoop and the neat ball save lane change rule. Other than that it’s fairly much destroying the reactors.

Now fortunately it’s fun and challenging to destroy the reactor and uses the entire PF but there’s no escaping that it’s just a basic rule game. I’d say if you took IM and subtract half the rules you’d be close to TNA.

Now Stern seems to be up on this pick your own adventure type rule, I had STLE for three years and while it *did* have a lot of modes and lots of mini wizard modes or side multiball modes, it just didn’t do it for me. I mean it was not my game. I know people who love ST above all. So it depends on what you want. If you like a game like SW where you pick a mode to start etc. have a lot of variety and different video and call outs depending on the modes.

TNA is not that game, on my collection I have enough games with enough rules such that I’ll never solve some of my games Woz, Tspp, TWD then I have some middle type games like Tron, IM, Potc, SM.

I’m kind of looking for a game like TNA to be a change up. I played TNA and it was very good. I’m not putting it up with Woz or anything like that (just my personal opinion) it’s kind of not there imo but for me and my collection I believe it’s great.

I can not say about SW but some people will likely like it better than TNA, to me it doesn’t seem like it used all the potential like GB looks more packed with features and I wish SW was more like a mega feature game like Tspp or Woz but Ritchie does his layouts a certain way and you get what you get usually great flow.

#93 6 years ago

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply, Rai. My worry is I sold my F-14 Tomcat, that I initially loved because it got to feeling very one-note. Light Tomcat, lock the balls, land the planes, rinse, wash, and repeat. It was fast and furious, but just kinda felt like it was missing something. I was hoping TNA would be Tomcat on steroids, and think it kinda is. My problem is that once the initial excitement is over, will it seem like the Tomcat experience all over again. And yes, SW may get that way, too...but with all the missions, modes, scoring rules, and character options...it may help the honeymoon last longer. I think both are great, just getting cold feet on the waiting and wonder if I got sucked in by the hype and the extremely fun and entertaining Deadflip/spooky streams. Plus I can get a SW ordered and to my house before my TNA is on the line. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bushes."

#94 6 years ago

I've been a Star Wars fan since it changed my life in 1977. I've been a pinball fan almost as long.

It's not even close...TNA all the way. Just an incredibly fun game to play.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Any TNA owners play 90% solo play? I don't have pinball buddies locally. My friends are just not into. They see it as a strange hobby I have. My pinball buddies are my kids and honestly between the computer, PS4, PS3, and Nintendo switch, pinball takes a back seat. So for me, TNA will be a one player experience. I honestly didn't expect to be blown away by Star Wars. But it was fast, the music and lights were great, and the art was better in person. The supercharger on Getaway is one of my all time favorite mechs and I've been on the lookout for a Getaway over the last year (but so many are way overpriced)...so the hyperspace loop really scratched that itch. So, I am getting concerned that TNA may not hold up as a one-player game with no real modes to play.

I play my TNA solo about 95% of the time ,it's a great single player game . Strategy of single player vs multi-player does change but the game is every bit as good as a single player (maybe better).

#96 6 years ago

Over time, both these games are going to be the types of games that you either get it or you don't. Neither will really be a universal appeal type of game. I've played both a fair bit and I have a TNA on order. I don't enjoy Star Wars. There will be plenty of others who are the exact opposite of me, however. You really need a good bit of play time on these games to make a safe decision.

#97 6 years ago

My TNA is coming soon and I'm super excited for it. I played Star Wars and if I never play it again that's fine. I don't think it's a 'bad game', it just didn't do anything for me. And as a pretty gigantic Star Wars nerd I mostly found the theme disappointing, instead of grabbing me it was more like I wondered about what could have been.

There are likely people who love the Star Wars pin and don't get the fuss over TNA. Different strokes and all that! I don't think anyone here can really help someone else figure out how they feel.

But I'll say this: Star Wars is basically Yet Another Stern™. Not bad, not anything special, some ramps and some shots and some rules and some callouts. It works, you can play it, and maybe it's fun for you. My feeling is aside from desirable theme it's basically pretty forgettable.

TNA, while a throwback in some ways, is something new. It's different and exciting. It's what I want to see more of in pinball, and I'm happy to support it. My 2 cents is if you're a NIB buyer, with money for these high priced games, that you should get what makes you happy. But also do your best to support innovation and passion, and not just get the new game because it's the new game.

#98 6 years ago

Had my SW since July. Love it, but alas will be going whenever my TNA #169 gets the call. Was gonna keep both, but got a great deal on a GOT pro recently and I prefer it for my "math chess rules" game hahah... also limited space and funds and all that. Definitely see myself picking up another one down the line though, it's a shame you can't keep everything

#99 6 years ago

What do you think the ability to re-sell a TNA will be in the future if it doesn't click with me?

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

What do you think the ability to re-sell a TNA will be in the future if it doesn't click with me?

Who knows? But look at the response this game is getting, people really like it. People who play it want one. It's a Spooky game, it's never going to sell in huge quantities. I can't see demand for it not being there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-or-star-wars/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.