(Topic ID: 194545)

Total Nuclear Annihilation or Star Wars?

By jonesjb

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you prefer Total Nuclear Annihilation or Star Wars for your next NIB pin?”

• Total Nuclear Annihilation 146 votes
    74%
  • Star Wars 51 votes
    26%

(197 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0399 (resized).JPG
IMG_0348 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy-facebook_s (resized).jpg
20424067_1510135732380982_6639884324275002884_o (resized).jpg
20369056_1510136082380947_4650448912797220906_o (resized).jpg
20368814_1510135825714306_4339517953444179916_o (resized).jpg
20449072_1510135999047622_9012878987276399357_o (resized).jpg
19693673_1510136192380936_5782673991462216237_o (resized).jpg
20451874_1510136302380925_4397846156859468965_o (resized).jpg

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

Spooky just released photos of Total Nuclear Annihilation, and it looks spectacular! I was thinking about potentially purchasing a Star Wars, but now I'm not sure and may buy a TNA instead.

Has anyone had a chance to play TNA, what did you think? Which do you prefer?

20451874_1510136302380925_4397846156859468965_o (resized).jpg

19693673_1510136192380936_5782673991462216237_o (resized).jpg

20449072_1510135999047622_9012878987276399357_o (resized).jpg

20368814_1510135825714306_4339517953444179916_o (resized).jpg

20369056_1510136082380947_4650448912797220906_o (resized).jpg

20424067_1510135732380982_6639884324275002884_o (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Haven't played star wars but played tna and it was really fun. My vote is for tna.

#4 2 years ago

Support a full featured machine with a ton of bells and whistles from an up and coming company. Its 6k for ALL THAT MACHINE. No brainer.

#5 2 years ago

TNA for the artwork and soundtrack alone.

#6 2 years ago

TNA all the way.

#8 2 years ago

TNA is annihilating Star Wars.

#9 2 years ago

Of all machines released since I fell into the pin trap in 2014, TNA is the first that has me seriously considering how to take the NIB plunge. It probably can't/won't happen, but then again, how much is a kidney worth these days?

#10 2 years ago

I'll take TNA over silly space people any day.

#11 2 years ago

TNA for sure!

#12 2 years ago

Wow! TNA is dominating!

#13 2 years ago

This may be an unpopular opinion but why are people so in love with TNA. While i agree the artwork and music is something to behold, the playfield looks even sparser than star wars and looks like it will get old extremely fast. My vote is for Star Wars

#14 2 years ago

Definitely selling my SW pro to fund some NIB TNA.
Grimboys?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Definitely selling my SW pro to fund some NIB TNA.

And you've had it for what, a day now?

Are you trying to break my record of BM66 for getting sick of and getting rid of the latest Stern?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

This may be an unpopular opinion but why are people so in love with TNA. While i agree the artwork and music is something to behold, the playfield looks even sparser than star wars and looks like it will get old extremely fast. My vote is for Star Wars

Yeah...I'm not getting this one at all. Houdini, I can see. This?

#17 2 years ago

2-1/2, but who's counting?
TNA went to plaid on my screen once the pics were finally revealed.
TNA is the REAL people's pinball.

#18 2 years ago

After playing batman and some of the other sterns TNA it is far better its different, new fresh and takes you back the classic pins

#19 2 years ago

I wish I could enjoy TNA, sadly for me, the soundtrack is painful.

#20 2 years ago

You just need to strap on a "lightly used" BangerJay mankini Art and you'll be groovin' in no time!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

Total Nuclear Annihilation draws you in, kicks your ass and all you want is more . The real appeal to this game is when you play it . Star Wars is also awesome , shots feel great and it is super fast the animations on the lcd are really cool and well done , artwork looks good in person and I am a fan of Star Wars . But I am buying a Total Nuclear Annihilation .

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

At this price point we are comparing TNA to SW Pro, yeah the playfields might both look sparse, but TNA is the one that's loaded and offers a lot more bang for your buck imo.

Controllable inline drops as apposed to the usual static bank of drops, real backglass compared to a translite, fully controlled RGB insert lighting and GI trumps SW red blue white lighting, laser cut rails, metal apron, probably real pf support rails and the big selling point is TNA offers something a little different compared to the same old stuff from Stern - which btw I am a big Stern fan as my collection shows.

Dropped out of a SWLE and was going to get a premium, then decided to wait for a HUO prem but after the artwork reveal I am going to be after TNA, may never pick up SW now.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...I'm not getting this one at all. Houdini, I can see. This?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I wish I could enjoy TNA, sadly for me, the soundtrack is painful.

TNA doesn't look fun for the simple reason almost every single video I have seen of someone playing it, their ball time is less than 30 seconds. The game seems to be a serious drain-fest. I realize it's not meant to be an easy game, but I never see anyone do well on it in the gameplay videos.

Rob

#24 2 years ago

As I enjoy playing classic Bally and classic Stern games way more than modern(should we still even call them that?) Sterns, I think I will enjoy TNA more over the long haul.

The price is however, a little higher than I had thought it would be. However, it is sometimes worth paying a little more to have less crap, and deal with less BS.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

TNA doesn't look fun for the simple reason almost every single video I have seen of someone playing it, their ball time is less than 30 seconds.

And that right there is one reason the game appeals to me more.

I no longer care for the long drawn out masturbation fests, that most modern games turn out to be. To get to nowhere I really care to go.

Short and sweet ball times for me.

#26 2 years ago

You might want to reinforce the floor a bit before your TNA is delivered Spicoli. That sub kicks harder than Gladiator's shaker, and you know you'll want to turn that volume knob up waaay past 11.

#27 2 years ago

giphy-facebook_s (resized).jpg

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And that right there is one reason the game appeals to me more.
I no longer care for the long drawn out masturbation fests, that most modern games turn out to be. Short and sweet ball times for me.

Agreed. I'd rather a game that's challenging and fast than something wood-choppy where a 15-minute ball is required to get a decent score. My low budget for pins inadvertently turned me on to classic Sterns, many of which can be brutal as hell...but when you have a good ball or a good game, it really feels like you earned it.

I plan on owning a TNA for the very reasons some here are turned off by it. That's a great thing about pinball though, there's something for everyone!

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I plan on owning a TNA for the very reasons some here are turned off by it. That's a great thing about pinball though, there's something for everyone!

Exactly! I've noticed for some time that newer games are more tuned to video gamers turned pinballers, while old school pinballers who still like that style of game have been left out in the cold as of late.

Witness the return to pure pinball greatness with TNA.

#30 2 years ago

Man...I'm really missing something. Guess I'll have to play it at a show.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Man...I'm really missing something.

If you weren't around pinball in the 70s and 80s or haven't spent much time on those games then that is understandable.

If you grew up with video games and found pinball later in life then it is even more understandable.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you weren't around pinball in the 70s and 80s or haven't spent much time on those games then that is understandable.
If you grew up with video games and found pinball later in life then it is even more understandable.

Well, I grew up with the classic Gottliebs of the late 70's, then went to video games in the 80's and missed the height of pinball with the 90s machines (except for IJ, which blew my mind in '93). And you may not have noticed that I've turned my attention to EMs more lately. I guess this game doesn't do anything for me the way WNBJM didn't do anything for me. Just seems like a step backwards...but this time with video.

#33 2 years ago

Withhold judgment until ye play. TNA combines essential EM gameplay with new toys and tech, in an 80's retro motif. Basically all the right magic buttons for moi.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Whoa whoa whoa I missed the 70s & most of the 80s and I grew up with video games and I f'in love TNA specially the audio (art is equally awesome), if we can get a distributor here in the UK I'll be bringing one home.

#35 2 years ago

Strangely enough I don't often enjoy EM's, watching and playing but I can watch TNA for hours and have done on the streams, willing to take a chance on one more so than I am on SW and coming from a huge SW fan that's saying something.

#36 2 years ago

Star Wars as a franchise is (or at least is becoming) is overexposed, and I say this as a Star Wars fan. So the pin doesn't seem AS special as it could. TNA is a great looking and sounding game and everyone says it's a BLAST. I haven't played either, but I'm still thinking TNA!

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Man...I'm really missing something. Guess I'll have to play it at a show.

Maybe not , this game may not be for you . But yeah if you could get a chance to play one please do so , give it a shot . This game really does need to be expirenced in person . More to it than a picture or a video can show . Multi player games are really great on TNA ,bring some friends .

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Whoa whoa whoa I missed the 70s & most of the 80s and I grew up with video games and I f'in love TNA specially the audio (art is equally awesome)

I know, I know.

My comment was taking a stab at those that demand all new games have mega ramps, bash toys, and long, drawn out video game type rules that lead you basically to nowhere. I just kind of assume I know where they are coming from.

#39 2 years ago

Scoff'd at first but this is interesting. Sorry what's the price...5-6k?

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Scoff'd at first but this is interesting. Sorry what's the price...5-6k?

I believe the Star wars pro is right around 5k.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I believe the Star wars pro is right around 5k.

Hey-o!

I actually meant TNA but somone above said around 6k it seems.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey-o!
I actually meant TNA but somone above said around 6k it seems.

Yeah, like $5995 or something like that. $6k.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Strangely enough I don't often enjoy EM's, watching and playing but I can watch TNA for hours and have done on the streams, willing to take a chance on one more so than I am on SW and coming from a huge SW fan that's saying something.

I tend to not enjoy EM's either, I find them too floaty and slow... But TNA seems to be a positive twist, and I don't think TNA will be slow at all!

#44 2 years ago

I don't think tna plays like an em at all.

More like a classic Stern or Ballys from the 80's with all new lights.

#46 2 years ago

TNA has me considering my first NIB just to support this effort.

I think Stern needs a bit of a reality check and I'm going to vote with my wallet. I want to see more homebrew efforts come to life.

#47 2 years ago

This thing really has me turning in all diff'rent directions..I don't know what to think.

I mean the look of it is HORRENDOUS...like total knuckler abortion...but that's the point isn't it? It's the whole retro Tim & Eric opening segment on the rock'n'roll tip which isn't my schtik but I've been telling people on this site for 5 years "you don't play the side art!"

It's a SS game & you'd think it's simple by today's standar.....buuuut I'm literally in line to by a SW pro and is this really less? Shit...is it actually more?

So yeah...wow....lot to process here and more choices is always awesome. Guys you guy my head in a scratcher and my balls in a salad shooter. From the LITTLE I've heard from the music it sounded like that pinballlife Orgasmatron which I could do without but I haven't looked deep into it.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I tend to not enjoy EM's either, I find them too floaty and slow..

I read that all the time. I don't know what EMs you have played, but ones I have are anything but floaty and slow, except maybe the 40s vintage ones.

#49 2 years ago

TNA looks cool, but don't forget 6k could also get you a Jetsons!

*crickets*

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

This may be an unpopular opinion but why are people so in love with TNA.

I think it was the (well deserved) hype from the shows and people who've played it. Looks very sparse to me but when I watch the stream of it I can't help but think it looks freaking fun. It really is the opposite of what I'm looking for. I really am leaning towards DI but TNA looks amazing for the money. Although the layout appears rather simple, people who've played it love it. The light show and sound is amazing. And I LOVE the art package.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ann Arbor, MI
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside