Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

anigif.gif
20476198_1510135825714306_4339517953444179916_n (resized).jpg
pipes2 (resized).jpg
pipes3 (resized).jpg
pipes (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

As soon as I saw the pics today I threw myself on the first idea I had. Still in it's enfancy but have finalized the initial 3D renderings. Idea would be that the fans activate when you are in the nuclear reactor trying to shut it down. The higher the core temp, the faster the fans would spin. Also wanted to integrate some lights in the pipes above each drop target to illumate the target better and perhaps do a graphic for said drop targets.

Thoughts. Anyone want to jump in and help?

pipes (resized).jpgpipes (resized).jpg
pipes3 (resized).jpgpipes3 (resized).jpg
pipes2 (resized).jpgpipes2 (resized).jpg

20476198_1510135825714306_4339517953444179916_n (resized).jpg20476198_1510135825714306_4339517953444179916_n (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I don't see some of that detail 3d printing well unless it's done on an SLA machine. I like the fan idea, but it would need to be tied to a channel (and coded as a device). You also need to find a tiny motor for that fan.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't see some of that detail 3d printing well unless it's done on an SLA machine. I like the fan idea, but it would need to be tied to a channel (and coded as a device). You also need to find a tiny motor for that fan.

Fans are not a problem. I would jeed help making this a reality and looking for partners

#4 6 years ago

Well, there are a lot of very tiny fans that should fit. I'm thinking something along the lines of those that used to come on older pc gpu heatsinks maybe. They will ramp up in speed from ~3 to 12v if i recall correctly. That part should be fairly straightforward.

idk, maybe EL wire for the underside of the pipes?

Looks like a cool idea though. Best of luck to you.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Well, there are a lot of very tiny fans that should fit. I'm thinking something along the lines of those that used to come on older pc gpu heatsinks maybe. They will ramp up in speed from ~3 to 12v if i recall correctly. That part should be fairly straightforward.
idk, maybe EL wire for the underside of the pipes?
Looks like a cool idea though. Best of luck to you.

Yup even thinking of putting UV diodes in the pipes and get UV ink for drop down targets.... I need someone with a 3D Printer.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Yup even thinking of putting UV diodes in the pipes and get UV ink for drop down targets.... I need someone with a 3D Printer.

I have a prusa i3 mk2, but FDM is .4mm nozzle, though I can set mine to print z-layer down to .05mm. I think the bigger chunks are do-able, but those pipes are pretty fragile in general.. Even if you could produce it from SLA I could just see a ball jumping and breaking it. You almost need the pipes to be made from real metal rod with the couplers and tanks 3d printed and slipped on.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I have a prusa i3 mk2, but FDM is .4mm nozzle, though I can set mine to print z-layer down to .05mm. I think the bigger chunks are do-able, but those pipes are pretty fragile in general.. Even if you could produce it from SLA I could just see a ball jumping and breaking it. You almost need the pipes to be made from real metal rod with the couplers and tanks 3d printed and slipped on.

The idea would be more to 3d print initial piece and make a mold. Probably would need mass volumes but think its a good enough idea to get the ball rolling

#8 6 years ago

You think you'll even be able to see the fan spinning at different speeds? Or notice it spinning at all?
The drone propellers on DI spin and I barely notice them and they're right in front.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

You think you'll even be able to see the fan spinning at different speeds? Or notice it spinning at all?
The drone propellers on DI spin and I barely notice them and they're right in front.

I know it can be done. Make the fan spin at like 30 rotations per minute.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I gotta agree. Although cool, does it even need moving fans? I think if you lit it up in spots that may be enough. Maybe even have an led pulse faster and faster instead of a fan spinning.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think I could get most of that detail on my Monoprice Mini at .04375. The little tiny pipes attached to the barrel things wouldn't work. If you want to share the STL file with me I can try and get a printed version.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I gotta agree. Although cool, does it even need moving fans? I think if you lit it up in spots that may be enough. Maybe even have an led pulse faster and faster instead of a fan spinning.

OR a ring of LEDS that speeds up....

#13 6 years ago

This is nice for the drop target area but I would say you would have to make something for the other side of the ring too, for symmetry.

#14 6 years ago

Once that's mounted, can the balls get stuck on it?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Once that's mounted, can the balls get stuck on it?

Thats what she said

#16 6 years ago

Thats what she said

Good point. Since this v1.0 ill have to take out the frint and make sure the fits under the pipe loops.

#17 6 years ago

I was going to suggest a combination of a speed controlled fan along with some sort of variable backlight.

While not needed, an actually moving fan would be cool to see and backlighting it would make the motion stand out more. If you could vary both the speed of the fan and the pulse rate of the backlight led, you could tweak it for maximum visibility at any speed via the stroboscopic effect.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

I was going to suggest a combination of a speed controlled fan along with some sort of variable backlight.
While not needed, an actually moving fan would be cool to see and backlighting it would make the motion stand out more. If you could vary both the speed of the fan and the pulse rate of the backlight led, you could tweak it for maximum visibility at any speed via the stroboscopic effect.

That wastyhe idea

#19 6 years ago

You have some talent with this 3d design stuff. I no longer own a FT, but I always thought it would be cool to make some of those army mosquitoes that could be mounted (similar to the Pterodactylus in JP).

#20 6 years ago

I agree. The key would be to keep the fan speed down so it's noticible. And I like the idea of lighting it.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I agree. The key would be to keep the fan speed down so it's noticible. And I like the idea of lighting it.

Pulsing light low fan speed is exactly what i am going for. If i can find a way to accelrate and slowdown the fan it would be a bonus.

#22 6 years ago

I love it, if you could pull it off, it would be awesome! I would be in for this one.

#23 6 years ago

Just FYI there's not a ton of clearance between the top of the plastics and bottom of the glass, at least on the prototype TNA machine, in some areas. I got a ball stuck between the two a few inches above the upper flipper on the proto machine at SFGE - not sure how the drop target area there compares. Might help with stuck ball considerations with your mod, or cause fitment headaches to begin with.

#24 6 years ago

Great mod idea.

Like others have said above, I don't think you need the fan to rotate. A series of leds around the rim of the fan housing that flash in sequence and speed up as the reactor heats up. It would give the illusion that the fan is rotating.

A similar principle to the gif in the link below.

https://goo.gl/images/Z5PdLb

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Idea would be that the fans activate when you are in the nuclear reactor trying to shut it down. The higher the core temp, the faster the fans would spin. Also wanted to integrate some lights in the pipes above each drop target to illumate the target better and perhaps do a graphic for said drop targets.
Thoughts. Anyone want to jump in and help?

OK, so my only thought on this, besides it might be cool, is that you are trying to blow up the reactor, not shut it down, so you are a little backwards there, but I think the concept still works.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

OK, so my only thought on this, besides it might be cool, is that you are trying to blow up the reactor, not shut it down, so you are a little backwards there, but I think the concept still works.

Yeah, but remember this is the reactor equipment and control systems to it would be trying to cool it down. Scott keeps saying that the machine is fighting you. This makes sense when you think about it.

#27 6 years ago

Hopefully will be able to get some info from Spooky. I'm on hold... until I get word back

3 months later
#28 6 years ago

feel like open sourcing the CAD file to that mod?
i would love to 3d print / paint it.
i think it just needs a little adjustment for the screw holes.

7 months later
#29 5 years ago

Bump cause I want this.
Any update?

#30 5 years ago

Never got a word back from Spooky. Will have to follow up.

#31 5 years ago

I agree that this area would benefit from some 3D detail. Would be interested in buying one!

#32 5 years ago

I'd probably be interested too, though I don't need a working fan. I'd just keep it simple. My only concern would be balls hanging up there. With the speed of TNA, I know I've had balls flying pretty much anywhere they can fit.

#33 5 years ago

Hope this mod gets produced!

2 months later
#34 5 years ago

Any News? Cause some news is better than no news.

#35 5 years ago

No News. I really have to get a 3D printer. I'm lining up a new set of decals to fund a 3d printer and this thing and #1 on the list. But eh if people want to help speed up the process https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1054-flashinstinct

1 week later
#36 5 years ago

Can't believe I didn't see this post until now! I was just thinking that this game really needs something cool for there. I bought a set of decals from you, so hopefully that speeds this up If you want any help getting the 3d print right, I can run some prototypes for you and test fit them.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Can't believe I didn't see this post until now! I was just thinking that this game really needs something cool for there. I bought a set of decals from you, so hopefully that speeds this up If you want any help getting the 3d print right, I can run some prototypes for you and test fit them.

Now we are getting somewhere do you have FDM or SLA?

#38 5 years ago

FDM, but it's an ultimaker 3, so the print quality is quite good. I've been interested in some of the newer resin machines coming out, but I haven't made the plunge just yet into those.

#39 5 years ago

Interesting, hope to see it finished

#40 5 years ago

^^^ what he said ^^^

#41 5 years ago

A fan would be too hard to do in a small size. I'd put a led ring inside with ardunio board that runs a chase circuit to replicate a fan look

#42 5 years ago

Would it be possible to pull the control signal for this mod from the reactor display? It's already 0-100/critical and could be easily used with an arduino to control either a fan or leds. Addressable LED rings are readily available and would be perfect for this project. One of these rings could hide easily under the fan artwork next to the locks.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2853

1 year later
#43 4 years ago

This looks great. Did it ever happen?

#44 4 years ago

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plastic-Mini-Cooling-Fan-Heatsink-Cooler-DC-12V-for-PC-Computer-GPU-G3M6-/323792551535

Couldn't it just run when the beacon is active?

Along with light shows whenever appropriate...

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

This looks great. Did it ever happen?

It didnt. Just printing the parts and assembly alone at a small scale would have made this mod too expensive to make.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

Would it be possible to pull the control signal for this mod from the reactor display? It's already 0-100/critical and could be easily used with an arduino to control either a fan or leds. Addressable LED rings are readily available and would be perfect for this project. One of these rings could hide easily under the fan artwork next to the locks.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2853

Hate to quote myself but work is in progress with one of these rings. Board layout is just about done and will piggyback the reactor dispay. It will be optically isolated and have it's own power.

anigif.gifanigif.gif
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-core-cool-down-mod?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.