(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zalandrys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8235 2 years ago

Can anyone who has had success with fixing the grinding sound from the beacon help me understand what they had to do? I've greased the gears, and then I put a little grease at top base of the lightbulb on the outside between the socket and the plastic shield. I then used a little piece of paper to work the grease down further into the space between the socket and the surrounding plastic. None of this seems to have made any difference so far. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: For those in the same boat, I had to grease the bottom below the gear as well. This fixed the issue.

1 week later
#8261 2 years ago

I’m having an issue with the lock that I was wondering if anybody else has experienced. When one ball is locked, the lowest drop target will raise randomly without a second ball being locked. I cleaned the optos and noticed that they are partially obscured by the wire ball guides in the lock. Is this normal? The optos seem to work correctly when in switch test mode.

EDIT: Just had it happen a bunch more times, this time with the middle target (no balls locked). It happens without the ball being anywhere near the lock, and the game seems to realize that there is no locked ball, so it puts the target back down eventually. Also of note, it doesn’t play the “ball locked” animation, nor does it launch another ball. Not seeing any errant opto switch reporting when in test mode, drop target test passes as well.

EDIT 2: Had a game where it launched extra balls now as well..

#8263 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

first. I would use the menu test and see if the opto's are working correctly.
Second. many times Scott has said the connectors used from the factory (IDC) are junk and they should be re-done with crimp and trifecta pins.
I also have a drop bank reset that happens in attract mode and need to start checking the same things as you..just haven't done it as I was going to lift the pf and do the drops and sub spacer ring at the same time.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate the information. It seems like only the opto board’s 5v power is using an IDC connector. I’m wondering if this is what Scott is suggesting to replace? The wires going to the optos themselves appear to already be molex style. The opto board for the trough appears to be all IDC, maybe that’s what he was referring to.

Another question; There is a plastic film on the LED displays. Has that just never been removed, or is that intended to remain?

Thanks!

507F65F0-FE5E-4DF3-91EB-2C7052ABE62F (resized).jpeg507F65F0-FE5E-4DF3-91EB-2C7052ABE62F (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#8283 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Also, put the game in switch test and wiggle that remaining IDC connector on that resistor board. I bet is it having an issue. That is pretty great thought aht someone already upgraded the others!

Changed the IDC connectors to molex connectors, problem resolved. Thank you!

#8286 2 years ago

I've been having issues with my right flipper collapsing when held after being hit by the ball, especially when coming from the scoop. I've done some digging and found this thread about a similar issue https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-r-flipper-weakness-issue

I've done a full flipper rebuild including bushings, ensuring to leave some play between the flipper bat and bushing, lowered the coil power in the settings from 28 -> 23, checked the flipper switch gaps & cleaned their contacts. I don't experience any issues with weak flippers outside of this issue of the right flipper collapsing. I haven't broken out the multimeter because I'm unsure what I'd be looking for, but does anybody have suggestions or experience with this issue? It seems that consensus is that this type of issue is caused by the coil getting too hot and the lack of an EOS switch, but I'm unsure what is left that I can do to fix this. Would replacing the coils have any impact on heat?

In all seriousness though, I have something in my service menu called Flipper Hold Boost. If the regular flipper hold power is not enough to overcome the ball velocity out of that left scoop, you can set this higher and it will add a PWM to the main along with the hold coil. On the programming side, the trick is finding frequencies that do not burn up the coil and remain decently quiet. But all of this is trade secrets, so don't tell anyone.

Stumbled upon this old comment, but I don’t see these settings in the service menu. Are they not in the public 1.4.2 build?

EDIT:
Found it. It’s under “machine(standard)”, not “machine(coils)”

Thanks!

#8288 2 years ago

Tried a few more things. Increasing the flipper hold boost from 3 to 4 definitely reduced the knockdown, but you can tell that the coil is getting hotter. The right flipper started to really weaken when compared to the left, I’d assume because I tend to hold it more often. I saw a suggestion somewhere to lower the flipper hold boost to reduce heat, but that did not work at all. With flipper hold boost set to 2, the flipper just collapses the first time it is hit from the scoop.

Still on the hunt to see if there is a remedy.

#8292 2 years ago

This is odd, because it should not overheat, but at hold boost level 4, I could see that happening. I would leave this at hold boost 3 and look into other issues. Do you know how to real an ohm meter and test the main power winding of the coil? I wonder if that coil has been overheated pretty severely in the past and having issues. I know that I have not heard of flipper issues on TNA in quite some time, so we will get this working for you. Also, yeah, if the hold boost is set to 4 and you are holding the flipper up all the time, it will get pretty hot.
Also, this is a key piece of information that I am not sure many people know about. About halfway through the run (estimated as I have no clue exactly when this was done, the flipper coil stops were switched to the A-12111 stop to help with the flipper hold.
Here is what the A-10821 coil stops look like:
[quoted image]
And here is what the A-12111 coil stops look like:
[quoted image]
If you have the A-10821 coil stops in your game, I would recommend swapping them with these:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-coil-stop-a-12111.html
All the spooky games after about half the run of TNA use the A-12111 coil stop and all of the Pinball Life rebuild kits for spooky include the A-12111 coil stops.
--Scott

Thanks for the reply. I’ll test the coil resistance in a few minutes and post what I find. Here is a photo of the coil stop that I just put in. It’s from this kit from pinball life https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-100-0112-00

It did come with EOS switches, which aren’t pictured on their site, so maybe I was given an incorrect set?

I think the coil stop looks like the A-12111, but I’m basing this on the gold coloring alone. Not sure if there are any other good indicators to look for to tell the difference.

I really appreciate the help with troubleshooting. Thanks again!

5E692559-1019-4796-90F5-75788BDD223B (resized).jpeg5E692559-1019-4796-90F5-75788BDD223B (resized).jpeg
#8293 2 years ago

I'm getting ~4.2 ohms across the main coil of both the right and left coils, and around ~125ohms on the higher resistance path. It looks like that is close to the expected values for the FL-11629 coils.

#8300 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did you by chance unsolder the wires at the coil legs before taking the ohm?

Nope, I didn’t remove anything

#8301 2 years ago

Yeah, that is about right for that coil. The next thing I would look at is to make sure your 48v supply is putting out 48v or more to the high powered coils. This can also be turned up on the supply itself without harming anything.
I know this sounds dumb, but also check and clean your flipper switches to make sure they are getting nice solid contact. I have seen a few flipper weakness issues because of this over the years. I never would have thought to check that at first, but probably not what is going on here.
Thanks,
--Scott

Thanks for the suggestion. Voltage on the coil looks good, 49.2v. I've been playing quite a bit in the last few days. The flippers have still been falling a little when hit hard, but I haven't had them fully collapse in a while. Is it expected for them to collapse about 1/3 of the way and then recover when hit from the scoop / hard rebound? Or should they always be pretty rigid?

#8303 2 years ago

It's not supposed to do that. Try turning up the voltage on your 48v supply. I am not sure how high it will go, but it will not break it. Just make sure it does not exceed 68vdc.

Turned up my power supply, now we're at 51.5v. Behavior appears the same. I did find something interesting though; The right flipper is the one that seems to be prone to collapsing, yet the left flipper doesn't respond to the left flipper hold test. When I do the right flipper hold test, I can hear the plunger moving a little inside of the coil, and if I physically hold the right flipper bat half way up, it does get pulled up the rest of the way as expected. With the left flipper I don't hear anything, nor does it get pulled up when assisted. I wonder if the issue could be something up stream?

#8305 2 years ago

That is odd. Be sure the flipper hold coil is still hooked up and did not come unsoldered.
The flippers are doing what they are supposed to do though by recovering after a knockdown, but they just should not collapse all the time. If it is just the right one on scoop exit, turn the scoop power down a bit in the coil settings. I also wonder if your capacitor board might be bad. Can you check that board in the back with the large caps on it for cold solder joints?
I would also recommend turning down your flipper power, that will also help with the left scoop shot. I shoudl really turn down the defaults on the next update.
--Scott

I’ve got my flippers down at 22, that seems to be the right balance for being able to hit the scoop without being too low. Coil solder looks good, power filter board solder looks good, I think my next step is to go through the rest of the machine and change out every IDC to Molex, because I feel like that can’t hurt.

#8307 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Although I haven't had to switch any of the connectors,
I am quite capable and will likely switch them at some point. What I haven't heard anyone say is how to get the hot glue off. Does it just pull right off, or is there a trick?

So far, they have all pulled off surprisingly easily. I’m about half way through, so let’s hope that continues for the next half as well. I have avoided doing any connectors where the wire doesn’t terminate at the connector, those will end up being a bit more work to convert to molex. I can post some pictures when it’s done.

#8319 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Led strip finally came in. Made some new plug n play versions.
Soooo much brighter
[quoted image]

Looks very nice!

3 weeks later
#8339 2 years ago

I just wanted to mention a bug in the code that I’ve encountered a few times, although it may be a known issue. I’m running build 1.4.2, and if you tilt the machine while the ball is in the upper playfield, the ball will not be fired out of the scoop until ball search occurs. On the bright side, it gives you a nice long time to think about your mistakes haha.

Hope this info is helpful!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zalandrys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=zalandrys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.